Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, Alexandrina said:

They were on Instagram, but I think they were long since removed. Some users have saved the images, I think, so you'll have to get one of them to PM you. 

They are still on youtube. I can PM you if you want to see the pictures.

Edited by JintaiZ

7 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

They are still on youtube. I can PM you if you want to see the pictures.

Please!

8 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Very probably it's just an illusion of camera perspective. 

They were on Instagram, but I think they were long since removed. Some users have saved the images, I think, so you'll have to get one of them to PM you. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Okay, I finically finsihed building Diagon Alley set yesrday (March 6th). I have to say... I was totally blown away by how highly detailed the set is! I love 4 individual main buildings so far and I appreciate the number of minifigures. 

I will like to share some of my thoughts with you. 

Pros:

1.) Great details to the front shops so far

2.) Good minifigures - especially the ice cream guy and Daily Prophet photographer 

3.) I love WWW’s wizard head outside the joke shop. It was an amusement to see

4.) I greatly appreciate that designers include staircases for Ollivander’s wand shop, bookshop and WWW

5.) I don’t care how weird the interiors look. I just think it’s really neat to see what looks like

6.) I like the fact that Diagon Alley is in time vortex. For instance, WWW didn’t exist in PS or CoS scenes. Same for Sirius posters. 

7.) It’s clever to include Knockturns Alley entrance

Cons:

1.) LOT stickers to apply

2.) Lucius should hve a snake-head cane

3.) There should be more genetic wizards/witches to make the alley look “busy”

Right now, I can’t think anything to add cons.

Overall, I enjoyed the various building techniques throughout the buidling time and it turns out really nice together. It did feel magical! Definitely, I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Harry Potter and/or Lego!

1 hour ago, The Brick Dude said:

Please!

I sent you a test message first since I'm not sure if you can receive it or not. Please reply if you do.

10 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

Hopefully this is allowed on here, for fans of the current Diagon Alley check out the shops that Scarlett Patronus has made on Instagram .. they’re brilliantly done .. there aren’t any pictures of them with the current Diagon Alley ( yet ) but they look a perfect match 😍

10 hours ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

I second this; big fan of@Scarlet_Patronus's MOCs.

Wow, thanks so much both! Glad to hear you’re fans 😄 We’re building the opposite side of the Alley so will definitely be spamming our Instagram when we have pics! Sadly, we’re both separated from our LEGO collection due to the pandemic - been instructing our poor parents to get the parts for us over FaceTime! - but can’t wait to put all the MOCs and the set together 😄

Edited by Scarlet_Patronus
Grammar

Given the mayhem has subsided a bit recently, I'm wondering what people with some of the original sets in their collection liked about them and would enjoy seeing in this anniversary wave?

For instance, I fondly regard the holographic wizard cards, the remembrall and Norbert.  Would be very happy to see any of them reproduced.

9 minutes ago, Yope said:

[...] the remembrall and Norbert.  Would be very happy to see any of them reproduced.

They’re not exactly on the top of my wanted list, but I wouldn’t mind if both of them were revisited at one point :classic:

Do you guys think that we will see a new frog/toad mould with prints sooner or later? I think it's really long overdue and it would be amazing for the Harry Potter line

30 minutes ago, Yope said:

Given the mayhem has subsided a bit recently, I'm wondering what people with some of the original sets in their collection liked about them and would enjoy seeing in this anniversary wave?

For instance, I fondly regard the holographic wizard cards, the remembrall and Norbert.  Would be very happy to see any of them reproduced.

The only set I definitely had from the original line was The Final Challenge - 4702. I liked that the sets were small and affordable to represent the memorable and important scenes from the movie that kids would want to reenact. I loved the Qurrell figure, especially the double sided head, and though I didn't notice it at the time, I like the idea of lots of small room sets slotting together to make a bigger "scene". 

I came across this video which is talking about some really, really rare and older promotion sets, which is really awesome. There was even a collectible minifigure wave in the early 2000 exclusively for HK! 

27 minutes ago, Yope said:

As a kid I owned the Hogwarts Castle, Snape's Classroom, The Final Challenge, Hagrid's Hut and the Hogwarts Express from the first wave of sets. What I didn't realise at the time was how much of a novelty Licensed sets were back them. Until that point I'd just had a bucket of bricks for many years and a couple of the tiny Pirates sets and then my parents got me a couple of Star Wars sets (Slave 1 and the Snowspeeder) the year beforehand. As I didn't have any internet back then and only a small local toyshop, I therefore had no idea of Lego's product range and so I could not fully appreciate how lucky I was to be growing up in an era where licensed Lego was starting to be made. As such, even as a child I found the sets a bit lacking.

I loved the Hogwarts Express and I do remember liking the little red trolley cart that it came with and the red lamppost and sign. And I liked the idea of Hagrid's Hut with Norbert, but found the card roof and elastic bands frustrating and there was little going on inside the hut. As for the castle, even as a child I thought it looked blocky and I remember it being quite cramped to play with. The holographic Dumbledore tile was probably my best take from that set which doesn't really say much for an expensive set! And as for the castle sections concept, that frustrated me at the time because the set I really wanted was the Forbidden Corridor with Fluffy but it was never available at my local shop. So I got Snape's Classroom instead which wasn't bad, but annoying because as much as I did love that glow in the dark Snape back then, this meant I now had two of them. I now have Fluffy having picked him up a couple of years ago and I still think that mould stands the test of time. I'll be interested to see if the new Fluffy heads look different, but I still think the full moulded piece has it's benefits.

In general though, the things I found interesting were the printed books, hats, capes etc, all of which have so far been redone. A Dumbledore Chocolate Frog card would be cool though.

On 3/6/2021 at 5:54 AM, Textorix said:

How would you make Gringotts able connect to DA while at the same time you would want some extra sets to go under it? What would go under rest of DA buildings? They would just levitate in the air :D But this is the same case with some people who wanted CoS set to be able to go under 2018 Great Hall, its impossible. 

I readily admit it wont happpen, but the 1 set would be a street level building. Easily can be added at the end of the current DA set.  The second set would be carts/rails, vaults, dragon and an atrium type area where the dragon is kept chained up.  This would be a LONG set that ran the length of both the DA set AND the new Gringotts building. It makes both new sets standalone if desired but allows for greater world building and enhancemment to the DA set as well.

1 hour ago, Yope said:

Although I've recently been able to acquire a couple of the original sets piecemeal through joblots - being a hawk who swoops and takes every listing on my local Facebook marketplace for bulk Lego - the only original wave set I owned at the time was Dobby's Release. I think I had it as a birthday present, from one of my parties during the golden era where the whole class got invited to everyone's parties - but I don't actually remember for sure. Both box and instructions got thrown away shortly after I built the set for the first time.

There was a lot to love in the set, at least for little me. Dobby was a novelty - I especially enjoyed holding his rubber head, which felt different to the rest of the Lego I owned. I'll echo @BacktoBricks in praising the printed books, and there were some good tiles then. But the set has aged badly - and strangely, the only thing I really like about it now, with the benefit of hindsight, was one of my biggest peeves with it at the time: the lack of Harry. When I was a kid with only one Harry Potter set in my collection, not having Harry really annoyed me. I think I made my own from the standard grin head with black sunglasses, which was the only bespectacled head I had. Nowadays, as an adult with the means to afford all the Harry Potter sets that take my fancy, I find it boring to have a Harry in every set. It's something I'm glad to see they've moved away from with the Moments books, though for obvious reasons I don't expect to see that becomng the standard.

2 minutes ago, MischiefManaged said:

This would be a LONG set that ran the length of both the DA set AND the new Gringotts building.

I can't see how Lego could accomplish that without either having such a high parts count that the price is beyond most of the market, or going back to the aesthetic of the old monorail sets and having much of the track be on its own, with only token builds at either end. I don't think this would fit with the aesthetic of the modern Harry Potter sets.

2 minutes ago, Textorix said:

June wave doesnt fit with modern HP sets aesthetic either and yet Lego risked that.

True - but the June sets are far more in keeping with the Harry Potter aesthetic than the monorail sets of yesteryear - which, frankly, don't look all that much beyond the actual track itself 

3 hours ago, Yope said:

The first HP set I got was Gringott's Bank, a gift from my aunt. I also had Dumbledore's Office, Dobby's Release, and Slytherin. My sister had Diagon Alley Shops. I think my favourite thing about these sets were the little nooks and crannies with hidden keys, books, and other things. I liked how the sets were filled with loads of magical items and special printed pieces. I had a little fold-out poster of the diagram showing how all the sets should be stacked and would always look at it, wishing I had enough of the sets to be able to stack them. There's something about modulars I really like. It's like stacking bricks, but the bricks are made up of smaller bricks :laugh:

But what's this holographic Dumbledore card everyone is talking about? I don't remember that.

31 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

But what's this holographic Dumbledore card everyone is talking about? I don't remember that.

This piece here, pretty simple but it was cool that it was holographic:

3068bpb0063.png

7 minutes ago, Yope said:

This piece here, pretty simple but it was cool that it was holographic: *picture*

Huh, never even knew about that. That's pretty cool

1 hour ago, Yope said:

This piece here, pretty simple but it was cool that it was holographic:

Wow, very cool. What set was that in? 

4 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Looks like a sticker but was it pre-applied?

As I recall it had a separate sticker sheet, but it was a long time ago!

10 minutes ago, Yope said:

As I recall it had a separate sticker sheet, but it was a long time ago!

According to Bricklink, you're correct.

4 hours ago, Textorix said:

June wave doesnt fit with modern HP sets aesthetic either and yet Lego risked that.

Looks like LEGO is just trying out more unique sets. Even though I agree that the sets doesn't fit well with modern Harry Potter sets, it would be an even bigger risk to do nothing special for Harry Potter's 20th Anniversary.

Edited by JintaiZ