Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

33 minutes ago, Textorix said:

I hope HP will never last forever like Star Wars. At least I hope it stops for like 5-7 years or so after we get everything. I am slowly running out of space :DD

You'll just have to buy a bigger house for all your Harry Potter Lego! :pir-tongue:

41 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

You'll just have to buy a bigger house for all your Harry Potter Lego! :pir-tongue:

That's the Muggle solution, you could also try an Undetectable Extension Charm :wink:

Edited by Guyon2002

15 hours ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

Not enough Harry. Give us four Harrys with short legs in Gryffindor jumpers.

And would you believe some people want the Battle of Seven Potters as a set???

15 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Too many Gryffindors!

Though there's a risk Lego see it differently - "not enough Gryffindors" - and give us Bem, Nigel, Michael and another Harry.

Who is Michael? The only Michael that comes to mind is Michael Corner, and I thought he's a Ravenclaw?

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

1. DA expansions, a lot to make and it could become a annual collectible like the modulars, but with a lower price point. However if we do not get a set this year this becomes more unlikely every year
  2. Hogsmeade expansions, still more to make here also
  3. Hogwarts expansions, like they do, but maybe they will change style every 3 years and start over again:shrug_oh_well:
  4. Setts we missed the first time, they already started with that also
  5. Different from minifig scale, done that from the beginning with D2C Hogwarts, Hedwig, I think we will see more in this category as times goes
  6. Other stuff, like the books, arts, only the imagination is the limit so here I expect more to come as well
  7. CMF every other year and D2C every year maybe :wink:

Well foo, I think I want almost all of that except for the change of style and maybe different scales. This is going to get expensive. I *really* want those shops for both DA and Hogsmeade, and more minifigs. 

Funny how the Marvel and Star Wars threads are buzzing with excitement, while the Harry Potter thread is in a state of constant dread... How did we end up in the Bizarro world? Are we sure someone didn't mess around with a timeturner (the CC variety)? :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

Who is Michael? The only Michael that comes to mind is Michael Corner, and I thought he's a Ravenclaw?

I had to look him up myself! :pir-laugh: Michael is a random Gryffindor who turns up twice in Order of the Phoenix - once as an extra at Kings Cross, and later apparently being consoled by Fred and George. I don't remember that happening though - maybe it's a deleted scene? 

@Alexandrina Thanks. :classic: Found him. He doesn't appear to have been cut, but I can't say even looking at the photos that I remember him at all. (Which practically guarantees we are getting him as a minifig before I get my Poppy Pomfrey. :laugh:)

52 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Funny how the Marvel and Star Wars threads are buzzing with excitement, while the Harry Potter thread is in a state of constant dread... How did we end up in the Bizarro world? Are we sure someone didn't mess around with a timeturner (the CC variety)? :laugh_hard:

It doesnt even suprise me that they are happy with what they are getting. Superheroes sets were never about detailed accurate display models, they were always more for kids and Star Wars, well its somewhere in the middle. But with Harry Potter we got used to almost perfect sets in every single wave since 2018 so its obvious that now when we are getting something like 2001 version of Hogwarts and we hear all those warnings about august sets this thread is feels depressed :D

Edited by Textorix

52 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

[...] (the CC variety)? :laugh_hard:

Not even an hour after typing that I've just read that WB apparently are still flirting with the idea of an adaptation of CC :sick: Please let the theme die before we get to that point, should it ever happen. It truly is a curse :tongue:

33 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

@Alexandrina Thanks. :classic: Found him. He doesn't appear to have been cut, but I can't say even looking at the photos that I remember him at all. (Which practically guarantees we are getting him as a minifig before I get my Poppy Pomfrey. :laugh:)

This is the only scene I remember him from, he's even namecalled:

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Not even an hour after typing that I've just read that WB apparently are still flirting with the idea of an adaptation of CC :sick: Please let the theme die before we get to that point, should it ever happen. It truly is a curse :tongue:

I wonder what those executives were smoking when they decided it would be a good idea to make an adaptation of a book hated by the majority of the fanbase. But then I guess it's not all that surprising as they've already ran DC into the ground.

14 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I wonder what those executives were smoking when they decided it would be a good idea to make an adaptation of a book hated by the majority of the fanbase. But then I guess it's not all that surprising as they've already ran DC into the ground.

That story makes the Last Jedi look loved by the Star Wars fandom, and I gotta say I dislike it for the same reasons many of them dislike TLJ.

Anyway, if they don’t return to the original style, then I don’t think HP will last for very much longer.

28 minutes ago, mark1991t said:

This is the only scene I remember him from, he's even namecalled:

I genuinely don't ever remember seeing that before. I certainly never picked up on there being a Michael!

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It really is just baffling. With most late sequels, the filmmakers don't know beforehand how the fandom will react to them. In this case, they know VERY well how universally hated CC is. If not, how could they possibly miss or ignore that? Its only saving grace is the play itself (i.e. the acting and the production design). I don't usually judge something without having seen or read it, but this is a rare exception :laugh_hard: Dominic Noble's review was enough to convince me

7 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Anyway, if they don’t return to the original style, then I don’t think HP will last for very much longer.

Depends on how well the "new style" sells :shrug_oh_well: Most of us don't seem to appreciate it, but we're not the core target audience

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Its only saving grace is the play itself (i.e. the acting and the production design)

Even that won't save a film adaptation. Going to the theatre is an experience: you go out for the evening, have a meal at a pub somewhere, watch the show, enjoy yourself the whole time. A film doesn't have that. Given that the core audience for the Cursed Child is people who are at best apathetic towards it, I just don't see who's going to go to the cinema to see it when there are better options. And once it gets to streaming? When you have a choice between the actual Harry Potter films and the Cursed Child, it's a no-brainer which you pick.

I feel safe in predicting that we will never get Cursed Child Lego.

Just now, Alexandrina said:

[...] I just don't see who's going to go to the cinema to see it when there are better options.

Maybe they're banking on people who just read the title "Harry Potter" and go see it, without realising what CC is about :snicker: Hardcore fans are definitely aware, but the same cannot be said about general audiences

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I feel safe in predicting that we will never get Cursed Child Lego.

I certainly hope so. Displaying sets based on crummy fanfiction next to the real deal just feels wrong :head_back:

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

It really is just baffling. With most late sequels, the filmmakers don't know beforehand how the fandom will react to them. In this case, they know VERY well how universally hated CC is. If not, how could they possibly miss or ignore that? Its only saving grace is the play itself (i.e. the acting and the production design). I don't usually judge something without having seen or read it, but this is a rare exception :laugh_hard: Dominic Noble's review was enough to convince me

I haven't seen the play but I read it twice in the hope I would like it more after a second time reading it. Now it's just gathering dust on my bookshelf :tongue:

They also announced sequels and spinoffs. While there's a vast wizarding world of possibilities, the likelihood of them living up to that is highly unlikely, ESPECIALLY with WB running the show. The only idea I can think of that might make an interesting show is something based on the founders of Hogwarts. Considering they could easily make something like that Game of Thrones-esque, almost guarantees that might be one of the ideas they're considering. We have a copy of CC but we've never read it. Honestly, I'm affraid to.

Edited by ToaDraco

Regardless of your feelings on the play, there aren't that many sequences that are really set-worthy in it (due to the constraints of theater, of course). I'd say the best one would be the scene on the Hogwarts Express but we already have a great model for it.

I like Albus and Scorpius quite a bit as characters and it would be fun to get them in a CMF, but I can't see sets for them. Same as Hogwarts Mysteries. Just put Merula and Penny in a CMF and call it a day.

9 minutes ago, doclord said:

Regardless of your feelings on the play, there aren't that many sequences that are really set-worthy in it (due to the constraints of theater, of course). I'd say the best one would be the scene on the Hogwarts Express but we already have a great model for it.

I like Albus and Scorpius quite a bit as characters and it would be fun to get them in a CMF, but I can't see sets for them. Same as Hogwarts Mysteries. Just put Merula and Penny in a CMF and call it a day.

They'd definitely add in some scenes that weren't in the play, just like they did for the movie. Include something in GoF that was actually in the books? Nah we'll just have the Horntail chase Harry around Hogwarts, regardless of the plotholes it creates.

The only good memory I have about Cursed Child is getting to go to a midnight release for a Harry Potter book which is something I wasn't able to do for the others. 

Comparing it to TLJ is extremely unfair though. There of plenty of people who like TLJ and in recent years its reputation has grown more positive from what I've seen. While the few who have seen the play seem to like the visuals for the most part reactions to TCC are extremely negative. Reactions to TLJ are divided but reactions to TCC are entirely negative. Also despite the efforts of some fans TLJ hasn't been erased from existence or removed while cannon while TCC basically has. Any time the HP books get new editions TCC is not included. 

As for LEGO products we won't get anything until there is a film adaptation which I really don't see happening. A TCC movie wouldn't happen because it's a good story that needs to be told, it would happen because people want to see a Harry Potter reunion. The issue there is that I don't think many of the actors would want to reprise their roles, especially Radcliffe. The most I could see is getting would be a filmed version of the play and that wouldn't really be enough to warrant LEGO sets IMO, especially considering FB only got two sets and a few minifigures. 

If we do get a D2C Hogwarts express, a set based around the 19 years later scene does seem plausible though. It's too niche for a play scale set (and would need too many new prints) but it seems like something they could do for a large D2C. 

I have not seen the play or read the book, and from what I have heard from the plot it sounds:

However it sounds like it just keeps going week after week and are put up in several big city's with new cast (before the pandemic I mean), so it must be rather good in some ways and I would not mind seeing it one day, however Lego sets in the current format seems very unlikely :shrug_oh_well:

29 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Comparing it to TLJ is extremely unfair though. There of plenty of people who like TLJ and in recent years its reputation has grown more positive from what I've seen. While the few who have seen the play seem to like the visuals for the most part reactions to TCC are extremely negative. Reactions to TLJ are divided but reactions to TCC are entirely negative. Also despite the efforts of some fans TLJ hasn't been erased from existence or removed while cannon while TCC basically has. Any time the HP books get new editions TCC is not included. 

I personally think TLJ was okay—better than the prequels, but not better than the OT, TFA (massively underrated IMO) or R1, but a lot of the specific complaints seem to apply to both (keep in mind these are common, they are not necessarily my ideas)

Breaks canon—Time Turner, Holdo Maneuver 

Main Character from original is now a jerk—Luke, Harry, other important characters sidelined

New main character is also a jerk—Albus, Poe

Authority figures are not helpful—McGonagall, Holdo

Long, uninteresting side adventure—Canto Bight, most of Cursed Child

Feels too different from original—no needed explanation.

If it were made, I could see us getting one or two sets, maybe a couple of CMF figs, but not much more than that.

Edited by Brickroll

Reading that TLJ is for someone better than prequels just hurts my SW soul but I guess I have to respect everyones opinion :D

Edited by Textorix

21 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Breaks canon—Time Turner, Holdo Maneuver 

Not to veer too far into off-topic territory, but comparing CC to TLJ is pretty unfair in my eyes. For instance, the Holdo maneuver doesn’t contradict anything that happened before and the plothole it creates is explained away in TROS.

In comparison, there’s NO handwaving of anything that happens during CC. The way timeturners work not only breaks canon, it shatters it :laugh_hard: The other points are debatable IMO

Anyway, I hope FB3 is succesful enough so that the other planned sequels aren’t scrapped. As long as FB is around, we’re safe from that abomination :devil_laugh:

46 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

If we do get a D2C Hogwarts express, a set based around the 19 years later scene does seem plausible though. It's too niche for a play scale set (and would need too many new prints) but it seems like something they could do for a large D2C. 

While I’m heavily opposed to a Hogwarts Express D2C set, that would be a neat inclusion :thumbup: 

Edited by Lego-Freak

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Not to veer too far into off-topic territory, but comparing CC to TLJ is pretty unfair in my eyes. For instance, the Holdo maneuver doesn’t contradict anything that happened before and the plothole it creates is explained away in TROS.

Oh, I completely agree, some just believe that it breaks previous canon.