Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

7 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I swear Sir Cadogan is actually in Prisoner of Azkaban. Maybe it's a false memory, but I seem to remember him dashing about swinging his sword through various paintings on the other side of the hallway in the scene where everyone's gathered around the slashed portrait of the Fat Lady.

No that's correct, he is in POA as you say.

25 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I swear Sir Cadogan is actually in Prisoner of Azkaban. Maybe it's a false memory, but I seem to remember him dashing about swinging his sword through various paintings on the other side of the hallway in the scene where everyone's gathered around the slashed portrait of the Fat Lady.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that is him here at 00:32 most notably, and again at 00:57.  He's also visible in the background throughout this scene.  He was also prominently in a couple deleted scenes, so there's definitely reference material to work with.

He even has his own interactive game on the DVD!

Edited by spiderfan2000

Finally, I had the time for giving a good look to June wave prelim images and...
...you've already said everything! :iamded_lol:

I can understand disappointment. If you had asked me what I was expecting for this year I  would have answered with a nice list of sets... from the Tent to Grimmauld Place, from a First Years Challenges (with Fluffy) to a Diagon Alley expansion with Gringott and, maybe, Leaky Cauldron (or Borgin and Burkes). I wasn't even aware of anniversary...

... but, sincerely, I cannot hate these sets. :laugh:

1) Hogsmeade is a really nice set, I think. Similar, but smaller, to what I was expecting, even if I thought there would be Hog's Head Inn (but I hope they are keeping it for a future set). Not bad also the minifigures selection: Madam Rosmerta was on my to-create-list, Mr. and Mrs. Flume are a good add, Harry and McGonagall obvious as for the scene reproduced, while I would have prefered Seamus to Dean.
Rating 8/10
2) As for Chamber of Secrets, I though it would have been a 2022 stand alone set, like Room of Requirement, with Basilisk and so on, in which you could have even recreated on your own the DH scene. The set we've seen is a fairly good way for Lego to give us Chamber and basilisk and celebrating the anniversary too. I have to admit that I was a kid 20 years ago and unluckily I hadn't the Hogwarts castle nore the Chamber of Secrets sets (and, clearly, I wanted them). As for minifigures, once Lego decided what scene to produce the selection isn't really free: Harry, Ginny, Lockhart, Riddle are all in that scene... nice they put even petrified students and ghosts like Nick, Justin, Colin. And Sinistra is a very good add (and on my to-create-list too). Oh, yes, there's also Dumbledore.
Rating 7/10
3) Forbidden Corridor and Fluffy is something I wanted as a kid (and I hadn't). Not really happy on how the building appears. And I strongly hope they won't put HRH in their school jumpers. I'm not sure wether I like or not Fluffy yet.
Rating 6/10
4) Not really much to say on Mirtle's Bathroom. Building is nothing special, but I think for 20$ is not bad. And Crabbe and Goyle were someone I was waiting for. The same for Hermione as a cat (I tought she would have appeared in a Minifigures Series).
Rating 6/10

Oh, and there's also golden minifigures, but it's something that doesn't affect my rating.

I think that the main problem of this wave, apart for not fitting with our wishlist, is the anniversary style. It can be seen as a worsening compared to the previous one and it makes difficult to put new sets togheter with old ones, but luckily my shelf isn't so long so... :grin:

In the end, not really disappointed by these prelim images. Waiting for the inside part and minifigures final version for a more precise evaluation.
Prelim rating 7/10

Edited by BrickMatit

Since there has been discussion of Peeves, this is something I have always been curious about: How do we know that figure is supposed to be Peeves? Is there any official source from LEGO identifying him as such?

19 minutes ago, droobles said:

Since there has been discussion of Peeves, this is something I have always been curious about: How do we know that figure is supposed to be Peeves? Is there any official source from LEGO identifying him as such?

Yes. I know it's in both the Visual Dictionary and Chararcter Encyclopedia, and I imagine it was mentioned at the time in retail catalogues. Also, there was a LEGO Creator game based on PS, so he also might have been name dropped in there.

I have no source for this, but I always figured the first wave(s) of Harry Potter sets were based as much or more on existing art found in other pre-film HP merchandise and the designers' own ideas from the books than on actual movie concept art/scenes. It was also a function of the time in which they were made, but design-wise those sets have very little directly in common with the films.

32 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I have no source for this, but I always figured the first wave(s) of Harry Potter sets were based as much or more on existing art found in other pre-film HP merchandise and the designers' own ideas from the books than on actual movie concept art/scenes. It was also a function of the time in which they were made, but design-wise those sets have very little directly in common with the films.

The original glow in the dark snape minifigure is evidence of this. It's very similar to other early depictions of him. The Snape figure from Mattel's mini play sets in the early 2000s has a similar white/green/gray shade for his skin and is sculpted in a pose that's an exact match for some early art of the character. 

16 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

The original glow in the dark snape minifigure is evidence of this. It's very similar to other early depictions of him. The Snape figure from Mattel's mini play sets in the early 2000s has a similar white/green/gray shade for his skin and is sculpted in a pose that's an exact match for some early art of the character. 

Was the idea that it was supposed to represent him being stupidly pale? Because I remember that from the books.

4 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Yep, I'm pretty sure that is him here at 00:32 most notably, and again at 00:57.  He's also visible in the background throughout this scene.  He was also prominently in a couple deleted scenes, so there's definitely reference material to work with.

He even has his own interactive game on the DVD!

I was going to say he does appear quite a bit, in the background of the fat lady scene and in the deleted scenes with Cadogan telling McGonagal about Sirius Black entering the common room as he had Neville's list of the passwords.

Also that interactive game slaps. "And remember if you have need of noble heart and steely sinue call upon Sir... Cadogan."

I'm all for a minifig of Cadogan. But I'm rather against one of Peeves, as he really doesn't appear in the films.

2 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Yes. I know it's in both the Visual Dictionary and Chararcter Encyclopedia, and I imagine it was mentioned at the time in retail catalogues. Also, there was a LEGO Creator game based on PS, so he also might have been name dropped in there.

Anyone out there have pics of these? I want the hard evidence of Peeves!

Just thought I’d jump in and ask- has anyone considered the August wave being Lego Mario-esque sets that create an interactive game? That would be way out of left field, nearly unguessable, would likely fulfill the piece counts and prices, and be super disappointing except for those who like the Lego Mario theme concept. That’s my best guess, but I’d love to hear your thoughts.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:22 PM, Seaber said:

I still haven't bought the books yet, and although for me they are sort of a waste of money as the whole book part isn't of much interest to me, I do think they look fantastic and would like to see more. Which is annoying for my budget :laugh:

I’ve gotten two of the four so far. I like them, but don’t love them. $30 is a bit too much in my opinion, but I enjoy what they are. The builds are nice and definitely usable. The minifgs are the standouts here, even the repeats. I know the crests are a bit of a touchy subject...

On 3/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, Legofania said:

Well, everyone has their own opinion. Someone may like it, someone may not. In this way I'm just waiting for them to draw my own conclusion, no matter what they say

Exactly. It’d be great if people would quit losing their mind over a few opinions. 

1 hour ago, droobles said:

Anyone out there have pics of these? I want the hard evidence of Peeves!

Just went and took a quick photo of the pages. Not the best, but you get the idea!

https://ibb.co/yyWCPP9

https://ibb.co/zHLNMbh

First is visual dictionary, second is character encyclopedia.

Edited by chris6507

Something I just considered, maybe one of the reasons this theme does so well is because it has a good blend of vehicles, buildable creatures and structures. Like not even looking at the source material, it seems to hit a broad stroke of what lots of different kinds of LEGO fans want.

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I think the same. I remember there used to be a WB shop in Blue water near where I live, much like a Disney store except for WB licences. There was loads of HP stuff with images like this one, until they were replaced with actors from the films. You can really see the likeness in Snape and Dumbledore's 2001 figures. 

potterlg.jpg

I got rid of all my stuff from that era though, although I might still have a few of the original Chocolate Frog cards knocking about. 

9 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

You're right of course, not sure why I wrote Sir Cadogan in the end as he's not all that discreet... maybe I should have said Phineas Nigellus or Violet :) 

2 hours ago, doclord said:

Something I just considered, maybe one of the reasons this theme does so well is because it has a good blend of vehicles, buildable creatures and structures. Like not even looking at the source material, it seems to hit a broad stroke of what lots of different kinds of LEGO fans want.

There definitely is a lot of variety to be found across the sets.  Granted, the upcoming June wave has no vehicles, and most of the sets are castle structures, though we do at least get the buildable Basilisk and Fluffy with those.  I'm not sure what vehicles could plausibly show in the August wave, considering we've already gotten most of the prominent ones.  The motorbike seems very unlikely to show up this year, as everything points towards no DH sets, and I'm not sure about the Durmstrang Ship's odds of appearing in August.  A remake of the Hogwarts Express seems like the most likely option for a vehicle set this year, otherwise this could be the first year of the revamp line to not feature vehicles.

There are some vehicles in HP like Hogwarts express, the bus, Ford car but thats about it. For me this theme is mainly about structures and characters because there is a ton of them.

56 minutes ago, Textorix said:

There are some vehicles in HP like Hogwarts express, the bus, Ford car but thats about it. For me this theme is mainly about structures and characters because there is a ton of them.

Hogwarts Express, Ford Anglia, Knight Bus, Motorbike and Side Car, Beauxbaton's Carriage, Durmstrang Ship and Hogwarts Carriage are important or quite important, then there are the sleighs and boats across the black lake, the boat in the Inferi Cave, the Ministry sled in Hogsmeade which are more minor, but still quite a potential for vehicles. 

I think its also good to mention there is a huge amount of creatures in this theme as well. It's far more balanced than, say Star Wars which is very vehicle heavy, or Lord of the Rings which was very location heavy. 

5 hours ago, Gryffindor said:

Just thought I’d jump in and ask- has anyone considered the August wave being Lego Mario-esque sets that create an interactive game? That would be way out of left field, nearly unguessable, would likely fulfill the piece counts and prices, and be super disappointing except for those who like the Lego Mario theme concept. That’s my best guess, but I’d love to hear your thoughts.

I dont mind this idea as long as we still got minifigures as game pieces and something similar to mario himself

Okay I can accept Durmstrang ship and Hagrids motorbike but some boats or carriages (we already have those because fantastic beasts one can be used for Hogwarts) are quite minor.

From creatures there are some still missing in our collection which are Troll, Warewolf, Padfood dog, Cornish Pixie, Mermaid, Ironbelly dragon and suprisingly Mrs. Norris :D

Edited by Textorix

11 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

If it's a Quidditch minifig pack or set in August, I hope for printed legs (or ideally dual molded legs with prints but that is only realistic in a 3rd cmf). The white legs are just to plain.

Perhaps they could do what they did in the Years 1-4 Lego Harry Potter video game with the legs as I know it's a video game but that doesn't look overtly complicated I mean they do similar things with stormtroopers and clone troopers. 

96E6DDB9-8992-49A9-A774-4E560F517A5B_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Ringwraith

17 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Okay I can accept Durmstrang ship and Hagrids motorbike but some boats or carriages (we already have those because fantastic beasts one can be used for Hogwarts) are quite minor.

From creatures there are some still missing in our collection which are Troll, Warewolf, Padfood dog, Cornish Pixie, Mermaid, Ironbelly dragon and suprisingly Mrs. Norris :D

Oh yeah, they're minor, but I meant them to show the real even spread of material.

I really don't like the Crookshanks we got in the CMF, so perhaps a new Fluffy cat mold would be good for him and Mrs Norris (I'm use the CMF TLM cat for her at the moment). The giants from DHII would be good too, but they're easy enough to MOC up based on Grawp, although the faces aren't as good. Kreacher, more goblins and Inferi are also missing, but I guess they'd be minifigs rather than brick built or molded creatures. 

35 minutes ago, Textorix said:

I was surprised they did not produce a Philospher's Stone bathroom set with a Troll and the magical trio as it is one of the more iconic scenes from the book and film, but maybe it'll come in the summer wave

*A cheap Cornish Pixie DADA classroom scene with Lockhart, Harry and Hermione with moulded pixie's would be fantastic too but I doubt that will ever happen :) 

Edited by Ringwraith

19 minutes ago, Seaber said:

I really don't like the Crookshanks we got in the CMF

Speaking of Lego HP videogame it has also nice accurate mould for Crookshanks :D If they could make it smaller for real Lego it would be perfect

unnamed_2_65.jpg

9 minutes ago, Ringwraith said:

I was surprised they did not produce a Philospher's Stone bathroom set with a Troll and the magical trio as it is one of the more iconic scenes from the book and film, but maybe it'll come in the summer wave

*I also would love to get a cheap Cornish Pixie DADA classroom scene with Lockhart, Harry and Hermione with moulded pixie's but I doubt that will ever happen :) 

Its because it would be very strange to have two bathrooms sets in one year with almost same minifigures selection. I think that Cornish Pixie would work great as accessory for Lockhart in CMF... but I doubt he would get spot in CMF series now when he has or will have two versions in sets but hey look how we got Luna twice in CMF and Neville as well so anything possible :D

Edited by Textorix

There's also a nice Madam Pomfrey minifigure in the background. What are the chances for the third Harry Potter cms they use it to fill in some of the Hogwarts gaps we are missing so professors like Pomfrey, Professor Binns (though for some reason I feel like he is coming in a set next wave?), the centaur bloke Firenze, Grubbly plank and Madam Pince too as they also appear in the film briefly. Maybe some ghosts could appear like the Bloody Baron, Grey Lady, Fat Friar and Peeves?