Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

38 minutes ago, deskp said:

Being that the chamber set is an anniversary based thing, will it come with an alternate build like the 2001 ones?

Like an unexpected Great Big Dobby's Sock?

2 hours ago, deskp said:

Being that the chamber set is an anniversary based thing, will it come with an alternate build like the 2001 ones?

Should we all try and use the pieces from only june wave Hogwarts based sets to make belltowers?

That's an interesting idea.  What if they do use the 2 in 1 concept again like they did with Barracuda Bay for the Great Hall anniversary set?  That would be an unexpected surprise.  They probably could do it with the Fluffy set too.  Just give us some directions to change around a few things to show a different scene like the winged keys or the chess game.

6 hours ago, girlie-site-boots said:

When kids stop buying HP Lego will stop making it. I don't believe that the current line was targeted at adults.

When the 2018 line started AFOL moaned about the reboot. Why do we need more HP? I'm half convinced the real reason adults get upset about remakes devalues their existing collection.

I'd guess that collectors probably don't care about the remakes, especially if they have no intent to ever sell their prized vintage HP sets.  Even people who buy and sell LEGO to earn money, would probably not be impacted much.  The old sets retain their rarity.  

I could see re-issuing the same design causing some consternation among buyers/sellers, but it is unlikely that LEGO Group would ever re-issue the old HP models.  The new ones are generally an incredible step up in design and detail than the ones from 20 years or even 10 years ago.  

53 minutes ago, hagridshut said:

I'd guess that collectors probably don't care about the remakes, especially if they have no intent to ever sell their prized vintage HP sets.  Even people who buy and sell LEGO to earn money, would probably not be impacted much.  The old sets retain their rarity.  

I could see re-issuing the same design causing some consternation among buyers/sellers, but it is unlikely that LEGO Group would ever re-issue the old HP models.  The new ones are generally an incredible step up in design and detail than the ones from 20 years or even 10 years ago.  

Even if the designs were 100% on par with the designs of the original wave's sets, remakes wouldn't be some indefensible thing. There'll always be people who didn't get the set last time it was out (case in point: my first Harry Potter set was the 2002 Dobby's Release when it was new, and I've had sets from every run of the theme, yet I've never yet got myself a Hogwarts Express. There'll be others who've never had a Great Hall, or a Quidditch set, or something, and for them a remake is a lifesaver!)

9 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I agree, time will tell, but I think the June sets will sell a lot. The question is what they will do in 2022, I still think they can go back to pre 2021 style or just continue with this years style :shrug_oh_well:
Personally I think there is to much focus on Hogwarts anyway and I would be much more interested to see future expansion sets for DA and Hogsmeade or other sets from the WW outside the castle:dsweet:

Yeah I definitely agree with everything you said, and I do see these sets doing pretty well. 2022 is definitely going to be interesting, I think the Anniversary style might be here to stay for Hogwarts extensions unless it really bombs.  The rest of sets where it’s not Hogwarts based will be in like Hogsmeade. Maybe one more 2018-2020 style Hogwarts extension for DH final battle, but I think it’s pretty much over. The Anniversary style has longevity going for it because with more interior focused sets, we can get so many classrooms like DADA or Umbridge’s Office fully fleshed out and keep HP running for years. 

As for too much Hogwarts Lego probably thinks how the Death Star is to Star Wars, Hogwarts is to HP so they always have to have some iteration of it on store shelves. But I really do hope we at very least get Gringott’s, because while I absolutely love DA in its current state, it’s still undoubtedly missing its centerpiece. Borgin and Burke’s as well would be nice to get. 

Edited by RODDY

Honestly I wouldn't be too upset if this new Hogwarts style carried over into 2022 and beyond as long as the interiors are good. The only thing I'd really want them to change is the excessive use of large panel and frame pieces. The main Hogwarts set uses at least 10, the Fluffy set 6 and the bathroom 2 (that we can see from these prelims). 

I really do not understand what Lego is thinking with this year's sets.  I spent $700 on Harry Potter Lego in 2020 and from everything out and leaked so far it looks like I'll be spending $0 in 2021. 

The Hogwarts moments books looked okay, but were different enough from the running theme to be an easy pass for me.

They could have released ten terrible sets continuing the existing Hogwarts expansions with tiny pieces of the castle and massive side builds and I would still buy all ten for completeness. This anniversary stuff does nothing for me.  Why would I want to start over with worse quality?

8 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Honestly I wouldn't be too upset if this new Hogwarts style carried over into 2022 and beyond as long as the interiors are good. The only thing I'd really want them to change is the excessive use of large panel and frame pieces. The main Hogwarts set uses at least 10, the Fluffy set 6 and the bathroom 2 (that we can see from these prelims). 

Yes, I agree with that. Only one slight correction. The polyjuice bathroom set uses only 1 of the tan door arches (on the right). The left one is built with a normal tan 1x1 pillar and a 1x2 flat tile because of the toilet stall build in reddish brown.

17 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It looks like that only right side in the bathroom is using the frame, left one is just a column. But you're right, way too much frames.

Edited by uPawelek
Ninja'd

1 hour ago, RODDY said:

The Anniversary style has longevity going for it because with more interior focused sets, we can get so many classrooms like DADA or Umbridge’s Office fully fleshed out and keep HP running for years.

Yeah, that's the thing. The stacking modules concept could end up making these sets really fun to collect, if they do it right. From what we've seen so far with the prelims, they just look a little too crude (and in the case of the great hall/cos, way too crude). Up the design quality a bit and I'm sold. Imagine all the different rooms of the castle they could do: divination, proper common rooms, etc.

My biggest issue with the 2018-2020 sets have been the lackluster interiors and how small and cramped they are. So I'm all for the stacking style so we can get actual classrooms and common rooms and space for the minifigures to sit there.

Saying that new style for Hogwarts set might look better together when connected, last 3 years style looked better on its own.

Prime example being this year's bathroom - it looks hideous as a standalone build, but will fit in perfectly with other sets.

Another example is Room of Requirement - it looks great on it's own, but connecting it to other Hogwarts sets doesn't really work.

In conclusion, I think they should balance those 2 ideas - being able to connect all those sets (without them looking like a line of random buildings) and sets looking good on their own (unlike the cube shaped bathroom).

The stacking classrooms would/could be cool if they can still turn into a display-able castle, not like what was done in 2001-2002 where you've partially got a displayable castle and partially got open rooms, and there are interiors on both sides.

If they don't turn into that once put together, they'll just look like a pile of open shipping containers - which is a novelty in its own right but defeats the purpose of being a modular and rearragne-able Hogwarts Castle.

I know that HP is mainly a kids theme, but since the 2018 revamp was announced I prayed for more realistic modular style sets. We kinda get those even though Indont like them much after all. This is step back from my taste but understand that for kids and as a playsets these are just great. 

4 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Even if the designs were 100% on par with the designs of the original wave's sets, remakes wouldn't be some indefensible thing. There'll always be people who didn't get the set last time it was out (case in point: my first Harry Potter set was the 2002 Dobby's Release when it was new, and I've had sets from every run of the theme, yet I've never yet got myself a Hogwarts Express. There'll be others who've never had a Great Hall, or a Quidditch set, or something, and for them a remake is a lifesaver!)

Slightly off topic, but I definitely understand your last point, as I got back in just last year, and really enjoy the new Star Wars X-wing and Tie FIghter. Sure, would have preferred the ones from a few years ago that were bigger and nicer, but they did a great job on these. I would assume the same will happen in a couple of years for many of the 2018 and 2019 sets for HP. 

Edited by Prometheus87

3 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I know that HP is mainly a kids theme

This is actually a great point which is easy to lose sight of in discussions coloured by our AFOL wants and desires. Most kids aren't going to be getting all the big sets, if any at all. I know when I was younger the most I could expect from family was a £50 set at Christmas, and if I saved all my pocket money for a full year I could maybe afford a £100 set myself. I wouldn't have said I grew up poor either - there'll be many who get far less than I did. Not only do kids want to play with their Hogwarts, they want to be able to get it, and for families on a budget the only sets so far in the modern Harry Potter that are Hogwarts-specific are Hagrid's Hut, the Quidditch Match and the Room of Requirement. If modular rooms means cheaper sets that kids can actually get, that's something I'm in favour of. (Of course, there will also still be the expensive sets too, but no AFOL is going to spend three figures for the Girls' Bathroom, for example, so why not make it a cheapun?)

36 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

The stacking classrooms would/could be cool if they can still turn into a display-able castle, not like what was done in 2001-2002 where you've partially got a displayable castle and partially got open rooms, and there are interiors on both sides.

If they don't turn into that once put together, they'll just look like a pile of open shipping containers - which is a novelty in its own right but defeats the purpose of being a modular and rearragne-able Hogwarts Castle.

I agree, part of the appeal of stacking rooms to build towers is that the exterior should look like the castle. If there is no consistency and there are huge holes in the exterior, that defeats the purpose.

13 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

Slightly off topic, but I definitely understand your last point, as I got back in just last year, and really enjoy the new Star Wars X-wing and Tie FIghter. Sure, would have preferred the ones from a few years ago that were bigger and nicer, but they did a great job on these.

This is my experience to a tee. The Star Wars sets on the shelf when I first got into Star Wars were the 2006 and early 2007 waves (and I think the latter-day 2005 sets, but I never got any at the time so I'm not sure). I got the 2006 X-Wing before it was discontinued, and I've never bought another because I've not had the need to. On the other hand, I never got the 2006 A-Wing - I didn't get an A-Wing until the recent one with Lieutenant Connix in, so if they never did remakes my shelf would be missing an A-Wing!

Remakes existing isn’t much of a issue, even for most diehard collectors. What does bother me is the ongoing shortening of the intervals. 3 years is already pushing it and we’re getting dangerously close to two-year intervals (looking at you, “new” Slave I) :tongue: At least the new GH offers enough new stuff to be worthwhile even when you own the 2018 one, which cannot be said for every remake out there. Let’s hope any potential remakes in the August wave are like the new GH in that regard, if our nightmares do end up becoming reality :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Saying that new style for Hogwarts set might look better together when connected, last 3 years style looked better on its own.

I'm actually not sure I'd say the new Hogwarts sets look better together than on their own. It's very much subjective of course but from what I've seen of the combo I'm not impressed.

2 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

My biggest issue with the 2018-2020 sets have been the lackluster interiors and how small and cramped they are. So I'm all for the stacking style so we can get actual classrooms and common rooms and space for the minifigures to sit there.

The stacking style from the Creator Expert Modulars is pretty much the only way to go for making spacious and detailed interiors.  

The primary issue with the 2018-2020 style of construction (With one side of the buildings open for access), is that it is difficult to make something playable that also has a deep interior.  So everything ends up being shallow in at least one dimension.  Offices and classrooms become cramped spaces that can fit 3 minifigures at most.  

The obvious advantage of the 2018-2020 style is cost.  Modularizing everything would have put the sets out of the price range of most families.  

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I do agree with this.  There are dozens if not hundreds of sets from the 80's and 90's that I never got to build, or see at a friends' house.  I also lost and broke many pieces from my old sets, and replacements are not always easy to find. 

It makes me wish that LEGO had some kind of super vending machine that could replicate any piece ever made, on demand.  There are a bunch of sets that I would order re-created if I could. 

On 2/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Guyon2002 said:

Reported by Promobricks and backed up by me, Falconfan and others.

Thanks!

LEGO just revealed official images for the "Amelia Earhart Tribute" set, and it includes a new female face print. Looking at it, the face looks quite similar to how Madam Rosmerta appeared in the POA film, so I could see this face being reused for her. Just an idea.

8 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

LEGO just revealed official images for the "Amelia Earhart Tribute" set, and it includes a new female face print. Looking at it, the face looks quite similar to how Madam Rosmerta appeared in the POA film, so I could see this face being reused for her. Just an idea.

Do Lego normally put new face prints in GWP sets? Or does this mean that the print has already been made for something else to be released?

6 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Do Lego normally put new face prints in GWP sets? Or does this mean that the print has already been made for something else to be released?

Scrooge and Tiny Tim (or whatever his name is) both received exclusive faceprints that have yet to be reused.