Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I wouldn't mind if the August wave contained remakes of older sets too. I'd love to have a remake of the Gryffindor Common Room, the flying lesson, the winged keys and the vaults of Gringotts.

4 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Then hope and pray that half the minifigures are new Hogwarts students in their standard robes utilising old heads/hair, like with Hannah, so you can buy the parts cheaper than the whole figure!

It will be the first time I've hoped for that lol. It's an upside down world we're living in...

Welcome to Lego Harry Potter 2021! :head_back:

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

My enthusiasm for a Gringotts set has kind of been killed, don‘t really care either way any more :tongue: Same goes for the whole wave, to be honest. Of course I still want to know what the sets actually are, but it‘s not the same any more. I feel the magic is just... gone :sadnew:

59 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I mean, they hit us with DA and then do this to us ... it's not surprising that we feel like we've been whacked by a Bludger. :cry_sad:

I agree. I look at the list of 2020 Sets from this theme and just think it was such a perfect year of sets. Even for the sets I was "ah, cool", I thought were very well designed and something very cool to contribute to the series.

2020 Harry Potter Sets 

30420 - Harry Potter and Hedwig: Owl Delivery Polybag (Flying Hedwig is cool). for a polybag for me who came out of my "Gray ages", a nice and cheap set. 

30628 - Monster Book of Monsters - Fun set, if albeit not perfect. 

40419 - Hogwarts Student Accessory Set - a much needed set and shows they were listening to the fans

75966 - Hogwarts Room of Requirement - AMAZING set and for being an inexpensive one, with patronai (sic) of two characters and clearly a great effort to look like the movie. I'd had hoped (and probably expected) this would have been the basis for the upcoming Bathroom set. 

75967 - Forbidden Forest: Umbridge's Encounter - not only teasing more Forbidden Forest sets, but amazing Centaur pieces included, along with an Umbridge figure. 

75968 - 4 Privet Drive - Annoying has another Ford Anglia and not the bike, otherwise a very well done set. I would have liked the garage facade in front as well, but seems to be easily moc'd in from what i've seen online. An overall decent attempt to look like the movie while also showing a lot of playability. 

75969 - Hogwarts Astronomy Tower - Wonderful set, and nice to see non-battle sets. Not perfect by any means, but still wonderfully detailed. 

75979 - Diagon Alley - May not have Gringotts or Knockturn Alley, but for the four sets they have, amazing. I was seriously disappointed in the lack of other minifigures, but doesn't take away some of the awe I have for the set. 

75979 - Hedwig - not everyone's cup of tea (me included), but for what it is, and for how cute Hedwig is, a wonderfully nice set as a display set. For any animal fans who also are fans of Lego and HP in particular, this would be an amazing set. If I was a kid, I would have absolutely loved this set. 

759080 - Attack on the Burrow - To me, this is how remakes should be done, and what I initially expected when I first heard about "anniversary sets. Just such a fun set to me. 

75981 - Advent Calendar - Nice "accessory set" to Astronomy Tower, but I did enjoy the 2019 set. 

@Lego-Freak, I too am probably guilty of this, but I've already taken down some of my Harry Potter sets I had on display and shifting my future focus to the upcoming Star Wars theme, which includes many Mandalorian sets. For 2020, I didn't see any absolute misses. Almost didn't buy Hedwig, but i kept seeing that adorable face...Even the moments were great imo and similar vein as the 2020 sets. I'm only excited about one set in 2021 so far, Hogsmeade, and that one I'd have hoped would have been more expensive to have much more detail. (I had hoped it was like two winter village sets combined into one.)

@BacktoBricks, definitely feels like a Bludger..which is probably the D2C! 250 - Ultimate Bludger Experience, with new shooting mechanism.

1 minute ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

It's an upside down world we're living in...

"Harry Potter versus the Demogorgon". If the August wave was just Harry in different universes' worlds fighting their villains, that would be an unexpected wave indeed. Imagine Harry versus King Kong, Ronald Weasley and the Daleks, Philip Neville Longbottom and the Looming Spectre of Sarina Wiegman

11 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

I agree. I look at the list of 2020 Sets from this theme and just think it was such a perfect year of sets. Even for the sets I was "ah, cool", I thought were very well designed and something very cool to contribute to the series.

2020 Harry Potter Sets 

30420 - Harry Potter and Hedwig: Owl Delivery Polybag (Flying Hedwig is cool). for a polybag for me who came out of my "Gray ages", a nice and cheap set. 

30628 - Monster Book of Monsters - Fun set, if albeit not perfect. 

40419 - Hogwarts Student Accessory Set - a much needed set and shows they were listening to the fans

75966 - Hogwarts Room of Requirement - AMAZING set and for being an inexpensive one, with patronai (sic) of two characters and clearly a great effort to look like the movie. I'd had hoped (and probably expected) this would have been the basis for the upcoming Bathroom set. 

75967 - Forbidden Forest: Umbridge's Encounter - not only teasing more Forbidden Forest sets, but amazing Centaur pieces included, along with an Umbridge figure. 

75968 - 4 Privet Drive - Annoying has another Ford Anglia and not the bike, otherwise a very well done set. I would have liked the garage facade in front as well, but seems to be easily moc'd in from what i've seen online. An overall decent attempt to look like the movie while also showing a lot of playability. 

75969 - Hogwarts Astronomy Tower - Wonderful set, and nice to see non-battle sets. Not perfect by any means, but still wonderfully detailed. 

75979 - Diagon Alley - May not have Gringotts or Knockturn Alley, but for the four sets they have, amazing. I was seriously disappointed in the lack of other minifigures, but doesn't take away some of the awe I have for the set. 

75979 - Hedwig - not everyone's cup of tea (me included), but for what it is, and for how cute Hedwig is, a wonderfully nice set as a display set. For any animal fans who also are fans of Lego and HP in particular, this would be an amazing set. If I was a kid, I would have absolutely loved this set. 

759080 - Attack on the Burrow - To me, this is how remakes should be done, and what I initially expected when I first heard about "anniversary sets. Just such a fun set to me. 

75981 - Advent Calendar - Nice "accessory set" to Astronomy Tower, but I did enjoy the 2019 set. 

@Lego-Freak, I too am probably guilty of this, but I've already taken down some of my Harry Potter sets I had on display and shifting my future focus to the upcoming Star Wars theme, which includes many Mandalorian sets. For 2020, I didn't see any absolute misses. Almost didn't buy Hedwig, but i kept seeing that adorable face...Even the moments were great imo and similar vein as the 2020 sets. I'm only excited about one set in 2021 so far, Hogsmeade, and that one I'd have hoped would have been more expensive to have much more detail. (I had hoped it was like two winter village sets combined into one.)

@BacktoBricks, definitely feels like a Bludger..which is probably the D2C! 250 - Ultimate Bludger Experience, with new shooting mechanism.

I agree totally with your assessment of the sets. I'm not even that mad about the Ford Anglia in Privet Drive because I've used 2 columns of 2 1x2 trans clear bricks with rocker plates attached atop to attach the car to the roof of Privet Drive at a slight angle so that it looks like the car is flying over the house. Looks great on display to me and really brings the set alive. I even got Hedwig because I like the movable wings and it was on discount, although large buildable creatures is not my thing.

I have then dismantled my current castle sections as I simply don't have the space to keep them displayed. I thought I would need a lot of shelf space this year for more 'displayable' builds such as a Gringotts at the end of my DA, maybe a Shrieking Shack, the Durmstrang Ship or second task scene. Now I'm thinking it might only be Hogsmeade that makes it onto display this year.

As for a Bludger D2C, I will just let Ron say it all, in fact I think he's sums things up so far quite nicely.

Image result for meme no just no harry potter

Edited by BacktoBricks

When I said the part that mad us curse JK Rowling, I meant the most devastating scene in the series, at least at that point. I suppose that wasn’t quite clear...

On another note, someone just suggested a blusher D2C. While that would be weird, I think like the box of quidditch materials would be neat, if expensive.

Edited by Brickroll

2 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

When I said the part that mad us curse JK Rowling, I meant the most devastating scene in the series, at least at that point. I suppose that wasn’t quite clear...

I'm genuinely drawing a blank at what scene you mean. Is there a third Ministry scene in Order of the Phoenix?

Just now, Alexandrina said:

I'm genuinely drawing a blank at what scene you mean. Is there a third Ministry scene in Order of the Phoenix?

I think he means Sirius' death.

Just now, BrickFunatic said:

Yup. I was trying to be at least somewhat vague  just in case some people hadn’t gotten to that point, although I assume most people have.

I genuinely forgot about that. Sirius was pretty much a throwaway character after Prisoner of Azkaban (the worst book/film) anyway, wasn't he? I seem to remember him being sidelined for pretty much the entirety of the next few books.

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

I genuinely forgot about that. Sirius was pretty much a throwaway character after Prisoner of Azkaban (the worst book/film) anyway, wasn't he? I seem to remember him being sidelined for pretty much the entirety of the next few books.

I have a feeling this opinion won't go down well!

I'm very surprised that some people seem to have abandoned all hope in this theme.  It's certainly true that the June wave looks more "playable" and less film accurate than the 2019 and 2020 waves and the August wave looks certain to continue this trend with more anniversary related sets.  I personally don't like how blocky the builds are and repeated use of panels.

However, I get a huge nostalgia rush from the references to the original sets and so do many others in this thread.  It's not perfect by any means but these two waves are almost certainly a one-off: the green roofs, stackable sets, subject matter, etc. is all a throwback to the early sets and will all, I'm sure, be unique to the anniversary sets this year.

Lego knows what everyone wants, the DH sets/Gringotts will come just as the student accessory pack, Astronomy Tower, missing minifigures, Burrow, etc have all been ticked off our previous wishlists.

This wave is good timing for Lego, as a few sets (great hall, hogwarts express, quidditch) come off the shelves they are immediately replaced by this wave.  Then normal service will resume.  This is not the apocalypse!  Having said that, I understand the disappointment - but at the very least this year will be a year of bricklinking a few cool minifigs and saving money for future sets.  

8 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

:caroler: Book and film 3 is one of the best IMO. 

I think Sirius' death wasn't sad in the film but it was in the book. I liked him as character and he did have quite a big role in books 4 (somewhat) and 5. 

1 minute ago, BrickFunatic said:

he did have quite a big role in books 4 (somewhat) and 5. 

Obviously I'm overdue a reread! To be honest, it's probably been close to a decade since I last read the whole series. I tend to start them with great gusto and tail off during Prisoner of Azkaban (it's werewolves, that's one of the easiest ways to kill my interest in something!)

I'll go more controversial though and say that I don't think there's a single death scene in either book or film that's genuinely sad, with the sole exception of 

Spoiler

Fred

Most of the genuinely powerful deaths happen off-screen and are just mentioned in passing, which makes me wonder if JK struggled with actually writing the moment of death

6 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'll go more controversial though and say that I don't think there's a single death scene in either book or film that's genuinely sad, with the sole exception of 

Reveal hidden contents

Fred

Most of the genuinely powerful deaths happen off-screen and are just mentioned in passing, which makes me wonder if JK struggled with actually writing the moment of death

Dobby!

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

Dobby!

I suppose that would be very affecting for readers who liked Dobby, actually. Personally I always found him too annoying to care that he'd died.

Plus every character death was one less person to take time away from my girl Hannah, who should have actually had something to do in the last book rather than just being the girl Harry thought of in the graveyard

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

I suppose that would be very affecting for readers who liked Dobby, actually. Personally I always found him too annoying to care that he'd died.

Plus every character death was one less person to take time away from my girl Hannah, who should have actually had something to do in the last book rather than just being the girl Harry thought of in the graveyard

For me all the deaths were more powerful in the books than on screen, but Dobby's in film death was a real tear jerker for me. Thinking about it though, Snape's was pretty affecting.

Thinking about it though, Snape's was pretty affecting.

Oi, stop thinking of exceptions to my comment, you're making me seem like a fool. :pir-tongue:

In all seriousness, I definitely need to read the books again, I've clearly forgotten a lot!

Just now, Alexandrina said:

Oi, stop thinking of exceptions to my comment, you're making me seem like a fool. :pir-tongue:

In all seriousness, I definitely need to read the books again, I've clearly forgotten a lot!

Ah sorry. You're not a fool lol. :grin: Dobby's always stood out to me and then you're comment got me thinking. I listen to the books on audio when I want a refresh, not that I have in a while though. Don't think I could read through them again, my attention span couldn't take that when I know the material so well. 

Don't think I could read through them again, my attention span couldn't take that when I know the material so well. 

I think that's probably what killed my ability to read the books. When I was younger (probably around the time Order of the Phoenix came out/a bit after) I used to read literally nothing else. I once read through the series over and over to see how many times I could get through it in a year, and then the following year I had a go at beating my record. It's definitely been too long since I read the books, though, since last time I read them I didn't imagine Yaxley as blonde (and I always borrow TV/Film adaptations for my mental images of characters).

Happily, my rekindled interest in Lego has rekindled my interest in Harry Potter. Maybe I'll start those books today...

11 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I think that's probably what killed my ability to read the books. When I was younger (probably around the time Order of the Phoenix came out/a bit after) I used to read literally nothing else. I once read through the series over and over to see how many times I could get through it in a year, and then the following year I had a go at beating my record. It's definitely been too long since I read the books, though, since last time I read them I didn't imagine Yaxley as blonde (and I always borrow TV/Film adaptations for my mental images of characters).

Happily, my rekindled interest in Lego has rekindled my interest in Harry Potter. Maybe I'll start those books today...

I read the books on release and then got the audios. The first four books I had the audios on cassette tapes. They were trans coloured plastic back then which I thought was just magical in itself, they would take me months to save up my pocket money for, but I played them so much they were so worth it. Kids today would probably look at them and ask what they even are though. :laugh: OOTP I then got on CD and after that it was digital. I don't know how many times I listened to them as a kid/teenager. I applaud your dedication to reading them though, that's an art in itself!

I too have the film images superimposed on my brain now though, even with all the times I've listened to them - it's hard not to.

The HP Lego revival definitely got me watching the movies again too. Predicting sets, checking set accuracy, getting excited about the sets that could come next etc. I so hope the theme returns to form in 2022, or if it could later this year then that would be great (Lego I need that Durmstrang Ship and a Merperson. Thank you.)

8 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

Dobby and Snape's deaths in the films and books never fail to ruin me. :pir-bawling:

Even now it's like, 'I know what's going to happen, no need to get emotional.' Next minute ... :cry3:

Edited by BacktoBricks

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Hedwigs sudden death is one that never fails to make me tear up :cry_sad:

That was another one that got me more in the books than the film. I was gutted when I read that first time around. In the film it's kind of chaotic at that point so it's not as 'zoned in' on her death. Still a poignant moment though.

BTW for anyone in the UK who still needs CMF Series 2 they are reduced to £1.70 in tesco - better than half price!

Your Tesco is still selling them? I haven't seen any Harry Potter CMFs in any supermarkets near me since October, which is a pity since I was having good luck getting unique ones from Morrisons especially.