Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

59 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Something I've been wondering - is anyone really nostalgic for the original 4709 Hogwarts Castle? To the point that they want something that looks fairly like it?As I felt when I originally got 4709 in 2001 and when I reviewed it in 2011, it's really not very good. It's ugly, gappy, a bad mess of colours, and full of under-detailed rooms and random play features that don't make sense. Yes the new one will be better than that, but it still seems like LEGO might be trying to pull at heart strings that aren't there?

49 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

It might make more sense to do nostalgia based on better classic sets. Do the green roofs, but maybe more inspired by the 2007 or 2010 sets? 

I'd say the new Great Hall looks like a lot more like the 2010 design, than the original 2001 one. 

5 minutes ago, Ferder said:

I'd say the new Great Hall looks like a lot more like the 2010 design, than the original 2001 one. 

Just the Great Hall itself yes, but the overall shape and look of the set very much matches the 2001 one. That one's Great Hall even had grey rocks integrated into its base, though they weren't for a separate floor.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

Something I've been wondering - is anyone really nostalgic for the original 4709 Hogwarts Castle? To the point that they want something that looks fairly like it?

It feels like an odd nostalgia pull to me because, IMO, while they were what they were the original Harry Potter sets were nothing to write home about, and certainly not desirable compared to modern sets. It's like, the original Millenium Falcon was a thing, but you wouldn't want a new one that looked like it today.

As I felt when I originally got 4709 in 2001 and when I reviewed it in 2011, it's really not very good. It's ugly, gappy, a bad mess of colours, and full of under-detailed rooms and random play features that don't make sense. Yes the new one will be better than that, but it still seems like LEGO might be trying to pull at heart strings that aren't there?

Yes, I’m nostalgic for the original Hogwarts sets. Sure they aren’t the prettiest things, but the modular idea of stacking them in any array of combinations is what made them awesome. I also love the rocky foundation much more, gives the set more presence as a castle.Yeah the interior was kinda empty, but that wasn’t an Hogwarts exclusive thing, that’s because it was 2001 and we have come a long way since. Just look at the Jabba’s Palace and extensions in 2003, that thing is barren but it’s still a great set because of its modular nature, the need to collect them all. 

So I’m excited to see this philosophy be applied with a modern approach and building techniques. The 2018-2020 Hogwarts extensions were great and detailed, but the interiors definitely could have been better. For example The 2004 Lupin’s Classroom kills the new one in Clock Tower because it’s not forced to be squished and it has elements that actually represent it. The Bogart Chest, The staircase, the white dragon skulls to represent the fossil hanging from the roof. The Great Hall tower is empty space, and there are two separate potions classrooms. Dumbledore’s Office while decent, should have definitely taken up a larger foot print, knowing how grand it is in the films. 

In the end, it really comes down to if you prefer the exterior over the interior, or vice versa and how far are you willing to sacrifice either way. Personally I’m all for this, especially if it means we can finally get some pivotal moments like the Chamber of Secrets or the Three Challenges in Lego form. But I do understand those who like the 2018-2020 versions better, and knowing that a majority of AFOLS here display their sets, the backlash is expected.

40 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Something I've been wondering - is anyone really nostalgic for the original 4709 Hogwarts Castle? To the point that they want something that looks fairly like it?

It feels like an odd nostalgia pull to me because, IMO, while they were what they were the original Harry Potter sets were nothing to write home about, and certainly not desirable compared to modern sets. It's like, the original Millenium Falcon was a thing, but you wouldn't want a new one that looked like it today.

As I felt when I originally got 4709 in 2001 and when I reviewed it in 2011, it's really not very good. It's ugly, gappy, a bad mess of colours, and full of under-detailed rooms and random play features that don't make sense. Yes the new one will be better than that, but it still seems like LEGO might be trying to pull at heart strings that aren't there?

I am! I had this set as a kid at the time. I was so young, in fact, that I don't even seem to recall building it fully nor do I have any memories of playing with it. I was so fascinated by all the Harry Potter sets and have very vivid memories of them all, even the details such as in which stores the sets were bought in, but for some reason there is a black spot surrounding this one. When I got back from my dark ages a few years ago, I found the roof cardboard cutout in a box and was very confused about its origin. I searched on bricklink and saw that it belonged to this set and was somewhat confused. It then hit me, that I in fact did own the set. I wanted to build it but who knows where all the pieces are. Probably ended up on the junkyard like a lot of my old Harry Potter sets. I am still furious over that :damn: 

Thankfully, I still have a lot of the amazing accessories and minifigures from the set, like the clear chest, the Fat Lady portrait, Peeves, books... Speaking of, an updated Fat Lady portrait would be an amazing thing to have in this new set.

If it weren't for the original line of Harry Potter sets I don't know if I would even be a Lego fan today. And the fact that this set integrates the Chamber of Secrets which is one of the few sets I didn't have as a kid makes this a really incredible set in my eyes. A strange one definitely, but incredible nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

I mean, I'm personally fine with it.  I figured the Great Hall would get remade at some point, and I'm glad they at least found a way to keep this one looking distinct from the 2018 version, while still staying recognizable as the Great Hall.  

I'm getting more and more convinced that the $250 D2C in the August wave is going to be something completely unexpected and weird and polarising like the Jurassic park D2C a couple of years ago. Either some sort of large centerpiece display set (maybe like the golden statues at the Ministry of Magic?) or it's not to do with Harry Potter but with another part of the Wizarding World (a large version of Newt's Suitcase perhaps?).

Or maybe it's some large buildable character versions of the trio (in Mickey/Minnie Mouse style)??

Either way, I'm struggling to think of realistic sets that would warrant such lowering of expectations...

I am definitely someone who gets very nostalgic about things. But to be honest I don't think they know what they are doing with this wave. To me if you are bringing something back. You either need to bring it back the same as it was (maybe with some modern refinements) or it needs to be a modernised version of something from the past.

5-10 years ago they brought out anniversary versions of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures that were out when I was a child. I loved this, it gave me an opportunity to purchase something long gone in my past exactly how I remembered it. I also liked when they did the LEGO Star Wars Anniversary sets I was able to get Anakins Podracer, Tatooine Padme etc all built to 2019 standards. It was a modern version of an old set.

But basically this whole make something in a similiary vain, but not the same, just seems a bit pointless. You aren't holding these sets having a flood of memories coming back and your also not getting a piece of something old that fits with your current line up.

So basically yes, I would be nostalgic for the old castle. But this isn't the old castle, so i'm not nostalgic for it.

I do like the sets. But to me its just something different. Not something that fits or brings back memories. So yeah, don't know what they thought they were going for?

I decided to go ahead and rank the sets from 2018 onwards, divided by year.  (Note I do not own the D2C Hogwarts Castle or the promo microscale Diagon Alley, so I did not include them in my rankings, and I am also not counting advent calendars, Brickheadz, polybags, or CMF series.)

2018:
1. Great Hall
2. Hogwarts Express
3. Quidditch Match
4. Newt's Suitcase
5. Whomping Willow
6. Aragog's Lair
7. Grindelwald's Escape

2019:
1. Clock Tower
2. Hagrid's Hut
3. Expecto Patronum 
4. Rise of Voldemort
5. Knight Bus
6. Beauxbaton's Carriage
7. Hungarian Horntail

2020:
1. Diagon Alley
2. The Burrow
3. Astronomy Tower
4. Room of Requirement
5. 4 Privet Drive
6. Forbidden Forest
7. Hedwig

8. Monster Book of Monsters                                            

2021 Hogwarts Moments:
1. Transfiguration
2. Charms
3. Herbology
4. Potions

And just for fun, the 2021 Anniversary Wave (only going by preliminary pictures):
1. Hogsmeade
2. Myrtle's Bathroom
3. Great Hall/Chamber of Secrets
4. Forbidden Corridor

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I got the 2011 set a few years ago cheap and built it but it didn't really make sense as a set. So I altered it to make it retro looking but in the style of the new sets. And the new Viaduct entrance style and scale fit with it so i added an altered version to it. 

Lego Battle of Hogwarts

The new sets idea of nostalgia is not something I'm into. The original Harry Potter sets were ugly, yes I said it. The new ones are cool and people display them. You know you are doing something right when adults display their castle and kids enjoy playing with it. Some comments I saw on facebook yesterday were that the new sets looked like some kid did a moc and a bad one at that. And the ninjago sets that got leaked yesterday look cool and they are at the same stage as these. 

I do feel I could moc the new sets to go under this set. Under the hall and courtyard I can fit the chamber, the bathroom can go under the tower build and fluffy can go under the viaduct. But I still think the new Hogwarts sets are ugly, Hogsmeade is the only bright spark for me. 

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I have plenty of nostalgia for the 2001 castle and love it, but I hate the new Hogwarts castle/great hall/chamber of secrets set. 

The staircase tower on the 2021 set is somehow considerably less accurate and looks far worse than the 2001 version. Why is there a rectangle of tan castle under the courtyard and tower? Why the courtyard on the right? Why is the tower a square? Curved panels have existed since 2001 and angles panels have existed since the 80s. It looks more like a 1971 build than a 2001 build. I'd love to know what "botched polyjuice potion" the designer was drinking when they designed the tower. I'll also take the arched gaps of the 2001 set over those ugly brown window squares covering the tower sections of the build any day. I hate being so negative about LEGO, especially LEGO Hogwarts sets. I love the rest of the set for the most part but everything above the rocks on that right section of the build is abysmal. 

I'm fine with made up castle sections like the forbidden corridor set as long as the sections that are actually from the films look vaguely how they did in the films. This is how it was done in 2001 and I don't understand why it wasn't in 2021. 

2 hours ago, RODDY said:

In the end, it really comes down to if you prefer the exterior over the interior, or vice versa and how far are you willing to sacrifice either way. 

I'm glad to hear your perspective and others who actually feel fondly about the original sets. You being up an interesting and worthwhile point about exterior vs interior. Personally I think the 2018-20 sets had the best balance thus far, apart from a few low points like Dumbledore's Office of Stickers especially. The 2010-11 Hogwarts sets were actually some of the worst in the interior department: the Great Hall and actually Dumbledore's Office were fine, but everything else was almost unusable, especially what passed for "rooms" in those skinny towers.

I actually think the Great Hall portion of this new set is excellent, but the building with the tower is a mess in the preliminary stage, and also only exists in shape to match the 2001 set (which was part of my point about wondering why bother replicating an old set and not something from the films).

My other worry seeing the bathroom set, which I like on its own, is that if they do follow the "stackable room" route it'll go the direction of the 2001 & 2002 line. Only a few sets in the range had exterior at all - so you end up with the actual castle portions atop completely open classrooms with interior on both sides. You could turn some of them around, but there back sides were unappealing. I'm.very curious to see if the other side of the bathroom will be tolerable as an exterior.

33 minutes ago, Micmac said:

The original Harry Potter sets were ugly, yes I said it. The new ones are cool and people display them. You know you are doing something right when adults display their castle and kids enjoy playing with it. 

I don't think that's too controversial to say - the original sets really were pretty ugly even if one likes them! Or if not ugly, certainly grungy. The 2018-20 ones have been both aesthetically pleasing and playable.

6 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I love the rest of the set for the most part but everything above the rocks on that right section of the build is abysmal. 

While I'm willing to reserve a bit of judgement since these aren't necessarily the confirmed designs, I agree that that tower section is a pretty poor hodgepodge, especially with the tan extending all the way down onto the rocky base. Not sure what's going on. And while the Chamber entrance also looks good, I question again why it and the tower needed to be shaped after the original Hogwarts just to capture nostalgia instead of being shaped for whatever made the most sense for them.

2 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Why is there a rectangle of tan castle under the courtyard and tower? Why the courtyard on the right? 

Which part are you referring to as the courtyard? That balcony part on the top third with the crenellations (beside the tower)?

Omg 

I am gone for 2 day and the whole world blows up. Not to beg, but does anyone have the pictures they could send me as I can find them on #legoleaks

I think the 250$ set is something not in "minifigscale" e.g. d2c Hogwarts, Hedwig, chess etc and the rest is anniversary sets probably some re-releases to explain the disappointment from them in the know.

As mentioned earlier in the thread how many sets where we expecting in the style we have gotten used to? I was expecting one big one for DH, then after that not sure, they could of course go on forever or they could try something new. At this point it is almost more interesting to know what the designer say about the future/present or see what we get next year than the August wave to leak :wacko:

At the very least we should get a lot of new minifigs and maybe Fang :tongue:

Now we get

• COS with basilisk
  • Fluffy
  • Hogsmeade
  • cat Hermione

That is what a lot of fans have been asking for, so what else do we want that has been skipped? Maybe that is a possible way to try and guess the potential anniversary sets in August :shrug_oh_well:

38 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

That is what a lot of fans have been asking for, so what else do we want that has been skipped? Maybe that is a possible way to try and guess the potential anniversary sets in August :shrug_oh_well:

We all know what TRUE Harry Potter fans want is a Creator Expert Ford Anglia. $250 is enough to include a buildable Howler with sound brick: press once for "Ronald Weasley", press again for "how dare you steal that car".

But in all honestly, apart from a fair few characters that have been listed previously, a Ministry said would I think be atop most people's lists as it plays a prominent role in 5 and 7 part 1.

5 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

We all know what TRUE Harry Potter fans want is a Creator Expert Ford Anglia. $250 is enough to include a buildable Howler with sound brick: press once for "Ronald Weasley", press again for "how dare you steal that car".

But in all honestly, apart from a fair few characters that have been listed previously, a Ministry said would I think be atop most people's lists as it plays a prominent role in 5 and 7 part 1.

I don’t know... that scene in 5 was where most of us must have put down the book and cursed JK Rowling.

It would be interesting, as it would be hard to do as a set, but I think they could probably pull it off if they did it like the Jurassic Park, by which I mean a facade with scenes in the back. I would say the bigger problem is the one I mentioned above and the fact that it is not as famous in DH as it is in OOTP.

Although I suppose that they did Lily and James, so any sad part of HP is possible.

Wow, those are skippable for sure, although Hogsmeade looks interesting. I am not sure where those other sets are supposed to fit in? We have the microscale, and then the rebooted scale starting in 2018, and now what retroscale? Even put together they look incomplete, and as they are anniversary, you would assume they wont add to them. Just not sure who these are for?

My daughters have been collecting all the sets the last few years, but I showed these to them, and they are not interested. They were hoping for something to add to the existing sets, or Diagon Alley. Guess I get to save for myself this year!  :classic:

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm very curious to see if the other side of the bathroom will be tolerable as an exterior.

Not sure how accurate it is but I've been told it's a completely flat wall with 3 very oddly placed and inconsistently sized windows.

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Eu acho que o conjunto de 250 $ é algo que não está em "minifigscale", por exemplo, d2c Hogwarts, Hedwig, xadrez etc e o resto são conjuntos de aniversário, provavelmente alguns relançamentos para explicar a decepção deles por saberem.

Conforme mencionado anteriormente no tópico, quantos conjuntos esperávamos no estilo a que nos acostumamos? Eu estava esperando um grande problema para o DH, mas depois disso não tenho certeza, eles poderiam continuar para sempre ou poderiam tentar algo novo. Neste ponto, é quase mais interessante saber o que o designer diz sobre o futuro / presente ou ver o que teremos no próximo ano do que a onda de vazamento de agosto. : wacko:

No mínimo, devemos obter muitos minifigs novos e talvez Fang:língua:

Agora nós temos

• COS com basilisco
  • Fofo
  • Hogsmeade
  • gata Hermione

Isso é o que muitos fãs têm pedido, então o que mais queremos que seja ignorado? Talvez seja uma maneira possível de tentar adivinhar o potencial de aniversário definido em agosto: shrug_oh_well:

You forgeti Crabbe and Goyle

The new d2c set will be one big Maesk ship where you can load the anniversary containers on and let them sail away. 

Maybe the D2C will be micro scale version of the Anniversary sets!

When people talk about building a MOC CoS, everyone seems to want to put it under the Great Hall, why not under the other towers ?

Whats all the hate with the new Hogwarts + Chamber of Secrets. I love it! It's my favorite set of them all. I have all the new sets from 2018 so far, and this one is high on my list. The only set i'm not a fan of is Hogsmeade. It doesnt remind me of what I remember in the books/films. It's just two buildings. Was expecting more. I hope for a Shrieking Shack in august. 

3 minutes ago, ???theriddler??? said:

Whats all the hate with the new Hogwarts + Chamber of Secrets. I love it! It's my favorite set of them all. I have all the new sets from 2018 so far, and this one is high on my list. The only set i'm not a fan of is Hogsmeade. It doesnt remind me of what I remember in the books/films. It's just two buildings. Was expecting more. I hope for a Shrieking Shack in august. 

What did you expect for 80€? Diagon Alley?

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

What did you expect for 80€? Diagon Alley?

I think it would be better to make Hogsmeade more expensive and more accurate. And Do Gringrots for like... 80 euro's. But I kinda understand that they want to chip in on the christmas villages Lego fans and hoping to sell more sets to them.