Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Have you ever seen the modern sets? It would be incredibly difficult to make something structurally stable that would fit under the GH and not be ridiculously expensive. Also how would the dock on the GH work? How would you explain the dark blue plates representing water? The largest issue of course is that the chunks of the 2018-2020 Hogwarts all have specific and unique shapes. Any rock set would need to fit under a specific set which would be a nightmare for casual consumers who don't buy everything. What is a kid supposed to do with the astronomy tower and rocks for the Whomping Willow? 

Yes exactly, it just wouldnt work this way with 2018-2020 sets. I like when buildings are movie accurate but with CoS I wouldnt care if it wasnt placed under Hogwarts castle.

Total disappointment. Only Hogsmead looks promising, but I am still careful. I heard some rumours, that additional august wave of "modern sets" will be also disappointing and that D2C wont be Gringotts after all. So, I am slowly becoming frustrated...  

2 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I heard some rumours, that additional august wave of "modern sets" will be also disappointing and that D2C wont be Gringotts after all. So, I am slowly becoming frustrated...  

Those arent rumors its basically confirmed by Guyon and Falconfan

1 minute ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Total disappointment. Only Hogsmead looks promising, but I am still careful. I heard some rumours, that additional august wave of "modern sets" will be also disappointing and that D2C wont be Gringotts after all. So, I am slowly becoming frustrated...  

Not wanting/having to buy as much Lego sets during an economic depression in the scale of the 1920s might actually be a good thing for many people in the coming months. When live gives you lemons, make lemonade

1 minute ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Can you tell me more? :)

Their specific comments on our discussions about D2C set being Gringotts and about august wave kinda speak for them selves. Lower your expectations, you will be shocked, you will be suprised (how bad can it get), will it though (august wave will show us where this theme is going)....

5 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

Not wanting/having to buy as much Lego sets during an economic depression in the scale of the 1920s might actually be a good thing for many people in the coming months. When live gives Atyou lemons, make lemonade

At least I will save some budget for NC Gardens. Still, not decided whether to buy it or not...

Just now, Textorix said:

Their specific comments on our discussions about D2C set being Gringotts and about august wave kinda speak for them selves. Lower your expectations, you will be shocked, you will be suprised (how bad can it get), will it though (august wave will show us where this theme is going)....

I haven't seen them, so anything specific?

4 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I haven't seen them, so anything specific?

^ Those are the comments, paraphrased from Guyon and FalconFan. I will add to that Guyon's comment that he thinks the June wave has excellent figures and decent builds, but when asked if he likes the August wave: 'God no!'

30 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Have you ever seen the modern sets? It would be incredibly difficult to make something structurally stable that would fit under the GH and not be ridiculously expensive. Also how would the dock on the GH work? How would you explain the dark blue plates representing water? The largest issue of course is that the chunks of the 2018-2020 Hogwarts all have specific and unique shapes. Any rock set would need to fit under a specific set which would be a nightmare for casual consumers who don't buy everything. What is a kid supposed to do with the astronomy tower and rocks for the Whomping Willow? 

While the interchangeability was taken too far on the new sets with the square staircase tower there does need to be interchangeability both horizontally and vertically for sets meant to be placed below other sets to work. 

28 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

But that would ruin the connection to all other sets or you would have to buy and build custom rock work for the clock tower and astronomy tower as well. Fluffy isn't ruined. I own the old moulded one and the new one is better in more than one way. First it can actually be lying down or move it's feet, the old one was just static. The old mould could only open the mouths of the heads which had no printing at all and you can only open the middle head or the ones on the side. The new one also has more detailed head sculpts. Additionally the black feet part on the old one just looks bad.

Regarding the size of the chamber: If you combine all 3 "underground" sections of the 76389 new chamber of secrets you get a roughly the same area stud-wise like we would have gotten under the old 2018 Great Hall set.

31 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Yeah its kinda wasted but on the other hand I cant imagine CoS as standalone set with ability to connect to 2018 Great Hall either. I mean 2018-2020 sets were already designed that nothing can be added under them so the only way CoS could be connected is as modular building next to some other building. I am already decided to use new Hogwarts sets either as parts packs or not even buying them and just picking some minifigures.

I get what you guys are saying but what if the made the CoS stable enough to go under all of the Hogwarts expansions. I get this might not interest casual consumers but it would have been great. Regarding the docs they could have added stairs that go down to the lake.

They could have also made CoS and put some other part of Hogwarts above in the same style like the reboot

Regarding fluffy I dont like the brickbuilt part it looks like some robot

I was rearranging my Hogwarts when I remembered that the upper part of the Astronomy tower comes off. I had no idea why it did that last year but upon closer inspection I realized that it looks (the following is pure speculation) like the new anniversary sets might be able to connect on top of it or in the middle of it which could be cool also I think the reason for the white frames in back is so that people can connect the new Hogwarts in the back of it there. Also did any else notice how in the new hogwarts set with the CoS on the second floor of the building next to the great hall there is a minifigure that appears to be Justin Finch-Fletchley but looks very odd and squashed also it looks like his hair piece is new? and it looks like he is wearing glasses is that accurate to the movies (or books)? Also I think the floor he is on is one box not two because of the Hogwarts crest in the middle and the one the beneath it is also only one box I think.

13 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

This whole situation reminds me of why I didn‘t miss catalogue leaks all that much :laugh: Sure it‘s nice to get some visual confirmation for some things, but people always react very negatively to them. Of course they don‘t look polished, because they aren‘t :tongue: Their purpose is to give retailers an indication of what’s on the horizon so they can plan orders accordingly. There’s a reason customers are not supposed to see them 

Yeah, I’m not sure why people are complaining & grading these like they’re the final product. They’re very clearly a long way off from being what we’ll buy. 

12 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Is anyone else actually excited for these golden figures? I know i'm actually feeling pretty excited about them, but haven't actually heard anyone else respond positively to them. 

Just for clarification. There aren't pictures of these. Just the idea of them i'm referring to.

I’m somewhat excited for them. I’ve got a few of the Ninjago ones & they’re pretty neat. 

6 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Yeah, I’m not sure why people are complaining & grading these like they’re the final product. They’re very clearly a long way off from being what we’ll buy. 

Prelims are usually pretty close.  There only so much change that happens between these and final. overall they turn out the same.   by the time they do prelims its overall decided upon, just some refinement happens after.

a lot of people have gotten used to seeing both prelim and final product and knows what to expect by now.   it's not like these will suddenly turn into accurate representations of Hogwarts sections.

really hope the insides are clever and stunning though!

Hi I’ve been a long time viewer but I had some thoughts and ideas to share. 

June leaks 

With the leaked ones I’m not a fan at all, I didn’t really like the old castles when they were around and always tired to make my own ones using them sets. Especially now we have been getting so much more detail sets with new pieces that allow for better design, these anniversary ones look even more outdated, even if intended it’s not cute. I get some people like them as that’s great but it’s a no from me. I think I’ll get get the figures if they give us new and updated ones. 

My August set wave ideas 

(Not my want list but a lowered expectations list)

76391 — $250 D2C

Large scale Mirror of erised with a Harry in red jumper with a philosopher stone - new piece. (With new mirror effect tiles or something)

76393 - $120 Devils snare, winged keys, mini chessboard and mirror scenes to fit with the new anniversary system castle

• these could be easily made to stack (or interlock) and go under the new fluffy forbidden corridor set 

76392 - $59.99 hagrids hut with few trees representing the forbidden forest. maybe unicorn, fang, Draco and Harry quirrel with hagrid of course, would be nice to get Firenze too 

76394 - $39.99 I have two thoughts

1. A phone booth that maybe can be moved down to simulate entering the ministry of magic, or some partial scene of the MoM like a small fireplace build and/or the statue of the centaur house elves etc. - With Arthur, Harry, perhaps Kingsley and fudge
  2. Perhaps the Ukrainian iron belly with a cart and small piece of track representing gringotts. With Harry Ron Hermione griphook and bogrod

• these are desired things MoM and gringotts so with lowering expectations if it was something to do with them but not a large scale model, that could be disappointing to many. Myself included. 

76395 - $29.99: Hogwarts prison cell tower with buckbeak, Harry, Hermione Sirius.  

• I went with this as they have themed hogsmede with prisoner of Azkaban and supposedly has a Sirius wanted poster. 

My top sets I hope we get one day are:

1. Gringotts bank & the Leaky Cauldron in scale with Diagon alley these as wide sets to cap of the street And in a dream world another side of the street with madam malkins, wiseacres, slug and jiggers, eeylops owl emporium, magical menagerie, madam pimpernels, potages cauldron shop.

1. Grimauld Place - large model

1. Hogsemead village on a larger scale, not quite as big as Diagon alley but with honeydukes, Zonkos, three broomsticks, madam puddifoots tea shop where Cho and Harry go on a date. - this now seems unlikely 

1. Scaled up Hogwarts express train, I’m not fussed about the carriages or the platform but just the steam engine it could be amazing. 

I can appreciate a shrieking shack, shell cottage and Malfoy manor large scale building but I wouldn’t be too bothered. 

I feel like Lego do need to work on making more creatures and big figures and making them better. Like the Giants from deathly hallows, a better grawp, merpeople, unicorn, Gryndilow from the black lake, the mountain troll, Dragons a mould would be so much better in my opinion for them all 

Also there are so many characters that need doing but I won’t list them as there’s so many but I think some generic ones would be great like and accessory pack with 4 random witches and wizards to populate Diagon alley, and perhaps the torsos and legs can mix and match to create more than one really cohesively designed character. Also a masked death eater ‘battle pack’ would be great with perhaps snatcher, dementors etc

I hope this year is perhaps a blip and back on track next year, I hope we get deathly hallows sets one day and maybe a whole year will be just them, but as long as we get interesting builds with lots of new characters or good variations then I’m happy. 

I mean we are getting araura Sinistra which I love the idea of a background teacher but it seems weird we haven’t got a bill or Percy Weasley a mundungas Fletcher or Madame pomfrey or igor karkaroff yet.

Sorry for the long post 😅

I’m just curious - do we know anything about Harry Potter polybags? Of course it’s not really exciting one but I’m just curious.

Right now, I’m building Diagon Aley. I will try to find some stuffs and generic figures to fill the stree so it could look busy. 

4 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Harry Potter and the uncertainty of the August wave.

Harry Potter and the Dreaded August Wave should be good one! :)

5 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I’m just curious - do we know anything about Harry Potter polybags? Of course it’s not really exciting one but I’m just curious.

It's been said by those in the know that we will be getting another polybag, but not what it will contain.

Something I've been wondering - is anyone really nostalgic for the original 4709 Hogwarts Castle? To the point that they want something that looks fairly like it?

It feels like an odd nostalgia pull to me because, IMO, while they were what they were the original Harry Potter sets were nothing to write home about, and certainly not desirable compared to modern sets. It's like, the original Millenium Falcon was a thing, but you wouldn't want a new one that looked like it today.

As I felt when I originally got 4709 in 2001 and when I reviewed it in 2011, it's really not very good. It's ugly, gappy, a bad mess of colours, and full of under-detailed rooms and random play features that don't make sense. Yes the new one will be better than that, but it still seems like LEGO might be trying to pull at heart strings that aren't there?

6 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

It's been said by those in the know that we will be getting another polybag, but not what it will contain.

Gotcha, thank you!

8 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

I think we all know which minifig it contains :tongue:

19 minutes ago, Otherworld said:

Harry Potter and the uncertainty of the August wave.

Hehe, good one :laugh:

15 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Harry Potter and the Dreaded August Wave should be good one! :)

That one too :grin:

Nice working titles, I hope the final one will be Harry Potter and the August wave that wasn‘t so bad after all :shrug_oh_well:

10 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Something I've been wondering - is anyone really nostalgic for the original 4709 Hogwarts Castle? To the point that they want something that looks fairly like it?

It feels like an odd nostalgia pull to me because, IMO, while they were what they were the original Harry Potter sets were nothing to write home about, and certainly not desirable compared to modern sets. It's like, the original Millenium Falcon was a thing, but you wouldn't want a new one that looked like it today.

As I felt when I originally got 4709 in 2001 and when I reviewed it in 2011, it's really not very good. It's ugly, gappy, a bad mess of colours, and full of under-detailed rooms and random play features that don't make sense. Yes the new one will be better than that, but it still seems like LEGO might be trying to pull at heart strings that aren't there?

It might make more sense to do nostalgia based on better classic sets. Do the green roofs, but maybe more inspired by the 2007 or 2010 sets? Then include the bright colors and cardboard pieces of the early 2001 ones. Or, they could do a COS remake, a new Dumbledore’s Office, and Diagon Alley Shops.

There were good classic sets, but the ones they chose were not great.

Edited by Brickroll

3 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I think we all know which minifig it contains :tongue:

Now let's not jump to conclusions - we know where that's got us. :tongue:

Edited by BacktoBricks

Only really like hogsmeade to be honest. Oh well, gives me time to buy and build the sets from last year that I havent yet, without worrying about there being more soon.

It's quite upsetting to see how quickly a theme can take a dive after (imo) peaking with Diagon Alley.

42 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

No definitely not. 

When the Anniversary sets were first discussed, and someone said the Star Wars anniversary sets were basically updates of origional sets, I could see how that worked for SWs.

I looked back at the original HP sets and thought how on earth would you update, to make them appealing, without them looking totally different. The only thing I could think of was modern style, grey roofs but stacking in style. 

2001/02 Was right at the time when I was young adult, with money to spend, and it was going on the amazing technic sets at the time. 

I do remember looking at the Hogwarts at the time and it just didn't appeal. Although I can see why bigger rooms are more attractive to kids as they are easier to play with, some rooms in the current sets are very cramped to do much with.

I can also see an appeal for Hogwarts to have more lower price sections, especially in the kids market.

Edited by girlie-site-boots

I’m more interested in Hogmeade much than other June wave sets.

Basilisk and Fluffy as built-brick creatures are not what I was looking forward. Oh well, that’s a reality we are in.

Now I will wait for the dreaded August wave!