Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I have some mixed feelings about this, whereas Honeydukes looks awesome imo, and the bathroom is a nice new scene to have, I have to admit that I really do not like that Hogwarts. I understand that they want to produce 20th anniversary sets that differentiate from the "reboot ones" and the idea is great... on paper. This is giving me 2010 Hogwarts vibes mixed with 2001-2002 but I think the result is not that appealing.

The basilisk mold looks quite on point and the color is accurate. I need to see the interiors but as if for now I am just looking to see what's next :/

The modular approach reminds me of Both the 8x16 plate from 2001 and the "build and swap" technique from Disney Princess... so that could be cool

It looks to me like lego is going back to making hogwarts stackable like the original sets.

21 minutes ago, Dr.Cogg said:

It looks to me like lego is going back to making hogwarts stackable like the original sets.

Yup they are! If you look carefully the girls bathroom, long bit of the forbidden corridor and two floors of the tower in the Chamber of Secrets are all 16 studs long so will be able to stack on top of each other to make one really tall tower! 

Knowing this I am feeling more kindly inclined to the how the two smaller sets are plainer than what we’re used to with Hogwarts extensions. This is because the two can make up the middle floors of the tower, which are usually less detailed anyway so as to not take attention away from the foundation and roofs  

Stackable makes it easier for people to expand and display. 

It also enables them to make smaller sections to suit smaller budgets. I can see a logic to it especially for kids.

1 minute ago, girlie-site-boots said:

Stackable makes it easier for people to expand and display. 

It also enables them to make smaller sections to suit smaller budgets. I can see a logic to it especially for kids.

It also allows them to release seperate classrooms, library or common-rooms in the future without them being squished into the bell towers. The 8x16 or 8x24 format allows for larger interiors than what we got in the astronomy tower or the 2018 great hall (which had a large great hall but the tower rooms were small)

1 hour ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the colour of Honeydukes. Am I missing something? Why is it brown? I could have sworn it was green and pink in the film. Or will the colours be different in the final version?

This is the scene in Prisoner of Azkaban. I see brown color for the walls outside and darkgreen for the windows and door. 

It looks like the balcony, top tower room and roof can all be removed separately.  So there are 9 sections of the Hogwarts Castle set, 5 of the forbidden corridor and 1 of the bathroom.  I can already see some "cursed" combinations of the great hall beneath the bathroom beneath the chamber of secrets beneath two pointy roof sections... 

I’m very very curious about the interiors of the Hogwarts castle and forbidden corridor! The latter appears to be somewhat... empty, judging from the windows in the lower level.

What I really like about 2018-2020 sets is their incredible movie accuracy. I am really critical about it because for me its very important thing. If I was little boy I would explode with happiness looking at this new wave but now as an adult when I got used to how detailed and movie accurate previous sets were I am a bit sad. Maybe I should accept that Lego is mainly a toy and if I want detailed movie accurate sets only for display, there are ideas set, ucs sets, and some other D2C sets. But for me 2018-2020 achieved something which other licenced themes struggled with and that is making sets appealing to adult collectors while being great for kids as a playsets... and I will truly miss this if Lego HP dont return to this kind of sets.

What's the parts count of the hogsmead set as the two builds look quite small widthwise and lengthwise. Though the brown actually looks like a good choice 

2 minutes ago, Textorix said:

What I really like about 2018-2020 sets is their incredible movie accuracy. I am really critical about it because for me its very important thing. If I was little boy I would explode with happiness looking at this new wave but now as an adult when I got used to how detailed and movie accurate previous sets were I am a bit sad. Maybe I should accept that Lego is mainly a toy and if I want detailed movie accurate sets only for display, there are ideas set, ucs sets, and some other D2C sets. But for me 2018-2020 achieved something which other licenced themes struggled with and that is making sets appealing to adult collectors while being great for kids as a playsets... and I will truly miss this if Lego HP dont return to this kind of sets.

I wouldn't worry, it's only a 20th anniversary for one year.  That's why we're getting a throwback and I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.

For the record, I don't think 2018 was remotely movie accurate compared to the 2019-2020 sets.  The great hall was squat and misshapen, the staircase tower didn't have it's most recognisable feature, the basilisk looked horrendous, the whomping willow set wasn't like anything in the films, the King's Cross just gave a hint of the actual location, etc.  Good sets mostly but not altogether accurate.  I feel next year will be a return to form, DH sets are very desirable and there are plenty of child appropriate scenes to be made.

1 minute ago, Ringwraith said:

What's the parts count of the hogsmead set as the two builds look quite small widthwise and lengthwise. Though the brown actually looks like a good choice 

851 pieces, page 1 of this forum has been helpfully kept updated.

1 minute ago, Yope said:

851 pieces, page 1 of this forum has been helpfully kept updated.

851 for those two small houses? 

Edited by Ringwraith

8 hours ago, chris6507 said:

Sure plenty of people should have them saved by now. I know I'm still good to share them! :laugh:

Just another lowly member asking to have someone dm the pics to me!  Muchly appreciated!!

The more I think about these sets the more horrified I am. The 2018-2020 sets were (with a few exceptions) beautiful, and although interiors were often lacking, some sets struck a nearly perfect balance (such as the Burrow and 4 Privet Drive). Clearly Lego knows that quality builds that also serve as playsets appeal to both demographics (kids and adult collectors) due to the success of the sets so far. They still seem to understand this appeal by looking at Hogsmeade, which holds up to any set released in this new iteration. The only issue I had with the 2018-2020 range was a lack of standalone playsets with detailed rooms that didn't have to be a part of an exterior display, but the RoR and the Moments sets gave me hope that this was being rectified. 

The new Hogwarts/CoS and Forbidden Corridor are simply trash and I cannot understand how anyone can think they look good. The Astronomy Tower was perhaps the best Hogwarts build in terms of architecture and attention to detail (such as the windows and astronomy build) but these new sets look like 2001 mis-matched quality. It would have been so easy to make the CoS exterior compatible with the current Hogwarts sets by making the building like the twin tower building from the outside, and then putting Lockhart's office and perhaps the "Chamber of Secrets has been opened..." corridor above it, and make the girl's bathroom connect to it. Instead they have made another Great Hall which looks like vomit when the 2018 one was perfect. 

I'm happy to get Myrtle's bathroom but the enclosed build is horrible and I would have much preferred it to be open like Moments/RoR. 

20 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

@Roebuck At least there are owls in the Hogwarts set.

Then everything is amazing :grin_wub:
I have just have a quick look at the pictures earlier and only the biggest set had owls that I could see, if there is something every anniversary set should have in plenty it is owls like in the old days :devil:

It was rather time consuming to read true all the new post so I do not bother go back and find people to quote this time..
Regarding Fawkes I think he comes in the set, but "just" the mould from CMF.

All in all the sets are things we have been asking for and new stuff this time around, prelims are always bad so nothing new there. The problem is of course the change of style with the castle not that it is bad and they could definitely have made this in the previous years style. I really look forward to hear designer interviews regarding the summer waves. Do they feel that 2018-2020 Hogwarts sets are done now and try for something new or are this year a one of anniversary round before it is back to business next year? I am sure they have a reason for doing it this way other than making the theme last longer, if that was the case they would just have made it in the "normal" style.

Although some are happy with these sets, it seems overwhelming majority (even those who will still buy these sets) would have preferred anniversary sets in the newer style.  Updated remakes of some of the classic 2001 - 2011 scenes. I am surprised Lego doesn't know this. With themes like Harry Potter and Star Wars that have a big adult following, I would have thought Lego would be reaching out to select members of the AFOL community for input. I just can't see an AFOL "advisor" who is knee deep in the Harry Potter Lego community saying "Oh yes, sets of scenes that people want but in the older style will be popular.  All this is my opinion, with respect for all those who disagree.

1 hour ago, BrickFunatic said:

The new Hogwarts/CoS and Forbidden Corridor are simply trash and I cannot understand how anyone can think they look good. The Astronomy Tower was perhaps the best Hogwarts build in terms of architecture and attention to detail (such as the windows and astronomy build) but these new sets look like 2001 mis-matched quality. It would have been so easy to make the CoS exterior compatible with the current Hogwarts sets by making the building like the twin tower building from the outside, and then putting Lockhart's office and perhaps the "Chamber of Secrets has been opened..." corridor above it, and make the girl's bathroom connect to it. Instead they have made another Great Hall which looks like vomit when the 2018 one was perfect. 

I'm happy to get Myrtle's bathroom but the enclosed build is horrible and I would have much preferred it to be open like Moments/RoR. 

I wouldnt say it better. Honestly the more I look at these Hogwarts sets the more I think that I will skip them and just buy exclusive minifigures and Basilisk from BL. My original plan was to buy these sets anyway, rebuild some stuff, use 2018 Great Hall instead and swap green roofs for dark grey but now when I see how poor the builds are I am like meh. I am afraid that I will have to wait like a year until BL prices for minifigures from Hogwarts castle drop as its $139.99 set so I expect they will be expansive separately. I am definetely getting Hogsmeade set tho because that one really shines next to these new Hogwarts sets.

2 minutes ago, Bricknee said:

Is there anywhere to still see the pictures?

They're still up on instagram if you scroll down a little bit

What do you guys think about the possible GWP?

Still brickheadz? Or something else?
I can also imagine something the size of the bathroom appearing as GWP for the room of winged keys for example.

I know some of you like these sets and I respect that but you know what is most crazy thing about this? That many people outside Eurobricks on fb or ig think these are fake or just mocs... and if so many people think that, you know something went wrong with these sets.

1 hour ago, Yope said:

I wouldn't worry, it's only a 20th anniversary for one year.  That's why we're getting a throwback and I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.

Well according to our sources the August wave isn’t going to be much better, and that’s not necessarily for the anniversary.