Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

The biggest question I am currently grappling with: who does LEGO think is the target audience for these sets?

The 2018-2020 sets seemed to be designed for young adult fans of Harry Potter who enjoyed the films as children and maybe now had a renewed interest in the franchise due to Fantastic Beasts. They also clearly had a target on young women and girls, focusing on fancy dress balls and dinner parties and horse drawn carriages and adventure themes and much less on action themes and big bloody battle scenes.

These new sets do not seem targeted to the same audience as the 2018-2020 set. My assumption is that LEGO believes the young adults they originally targeted with the 2018 reboot may now have children of their own and they can relive some of their nostalgia by building sets similar to ones they may have had 20 years ago with their kids. And these sets definitely feel more action (targeting boys) than adventure (targeting girls). But this seems like a big risk to take for a line that was already doing so well. If it’s not broke, why fix it?

Overall, I don’t hate the new sets and will probably buy every single one as usual. Looking through the blurry pics again with the beautiful green roofs, they do make me feel nostalgic and a bit heart achey for a simpler time... Maybe LEGO is giving us what we need in 2021 and not what we want.

But my biggest hope is that the empty translucent bar coming off the Grand Staircase Tower is intended for a yet to be revealed open-winged Fawkes the Phoenix. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I don't understand either. For me, as an older millennial, who was in a "gray age" up until 2020. I'd occasionally buy the random Ideas set or get a random gift of a nice set here and there. Even found a nice thrift find in 2019 that includes parts of the 2010/2011 series hogwarts set. The Razor Crest for preorder is what got me back since I was looking for a hobby to wile away the hours during quarantine.

THEN - I discovered there were Harry Potter Lego...and my gray age was done. I bought practically every set. Discovered this site, Brickset, spent hours searching for old sets. Found sites that still sold the old sets, and was able to buy almost all of the 2018-2020 series. It's been a joy. My wife, who I got into Harry Potter but isn't into Lego actually enjoys building the small Harry Potter lego sets. She finds them very close to the actual movies and LOVEs the minifigures as I do. 

I showed her the pictures of these... other than Hogsmeade, it did not get the same reaction. So here's a fan of the series for years, and someone that grew up with Lego and as well as a person that doesn't usually liking Lego both loving them. 

I may get them, but I can't help but feel the spark is gone for this series. I'll hold my breathe and wait until 2022 series, but after seeing them, the spark for me is definitely not as bright.  The 2018-2020 series, to me, seems like one of the pinnacle of overall series design EVER for Lego, that is at an intersection for almost all fans of Lego - Young, AFOL, and all sexes can find them amazing, playable, and displayable. 

21 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Or, you know, the people trying to save us from a global pandemic that's killing thousands of people a day but sure, blame them for businesses failing... 

Anyway, I'm sad I missed the leaks. Surely somebody saved them and uploaded them somewhere else for us to find?

This begs the question - Internally to the company, did some of the staff that "brought the magic" to  the 2018-2020 HP design team leave, get let go, or move up in the organization? 

27 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

Or, you know, the people trying to save us from a global pandemic that's killing thousands of people a day but sure, blame them for businesses failing... 

Anyway, I'm sad I missed the leaks. Surely somebody saved them and uploaded them somewhere else for us to find?

It's not the government's job to "save us." Here in the USA we have this thing called the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. We're supposed to be able to assess our own risks and make our own decisions. Or maybe you'd rather let Daddy Government dictate your every decision. I'm sure they'll let you know when it's safe to go outside again :hmpf:

Edited by Roonil Wazlib

Just noticed the sirus black wanted poster in hosmeade! Also fluffy looks to be foaming from the mouth, thats a really cool detail

Edited by Surge

2 minutes ago, Surge said:

Just noticed the sirus black wanted poster in hosmeade! Also fang looks to be foaming from the mouth, thats a really cool detail

Was there also a Sirius figure in that set? I couldn't tell with the low image resolution.

To me, the Hogsmeade set doesn't really seem to be an anniversary set. The Hogwarts sets really remind me of the PS and COS sets back in the days. As it looks like these are also stackable.

4 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Was there also a Sirius figure in that set? I couldn't tell with the low image resolution.

nope

Politics does not belong here, and besides, this is an international forum. Leave it out now or we'll have a private chat.

14 minutes ago, Prometheus87 said:

This begs the question - Internally to the company, did some of the staff that "brought the magic" to  the 2018-2020 HP design team leave, get let go, or move up in the organization? 

It’s like watching a show where a main character or writer leaves... it’s really hard to recover after that, and it doesn’t feel as special after that.

Forgive me if i'm not allowed to say this on the forum, but I did save the specific links for the website that posted the pictures if anyone wanted to see them. Happy to send in a DM.

If anyone wants the links. Please click on my name and then on my profile select "Message" and just send me a DM. People wont be happy if we fill the page up with DM requests. :laugh:

Edited by chris6507

Can someone fill me in on what happened today? I haven’t been active.

I will take whatever DM’s have pics of whatever, I have a lot of catching up to do lol

Edited by Modal

1 minute ago, Modal said:

Can someone fill me in on what happened today? I haven’t been active.

I will take whatever DM’s have pics of whatever, I have a lot of catching up to do lol

Pictures of the June wave leaked

7 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Forgive me if i'm not allowed to say this on the forum, but I did save the specific links for the website that posted the pictures if anyone wanted to see them. Happy to send in a DM.

Please send the pics in a DM, if you don't mind!  Thanks in advance.

Yea wow those are...not good. How do we go from 2018-2020 of amazing sets where we can say LEGO understood its audience to...whatever 2021 is.

Hogsmeade is the only decent one, but like I said earlier, it could have been so much more as a $150 set with more detailed buildings.

Edited by Modal

Someone was kind enough to send me the pictures. I'm actually very pleased with how they turned out! Of course prelims are always going to make sets look worse than the final product so I'm excited to see what they'll actually look like. I was worried Fluffy would look rough(hehe no pun intended) but I think he turned out great! Of course, the prototype heads don't look great but the final ones will. I love the harp build and I like what I see of the exterior. I don't expect much of an interior since it has to accommodate Fluffy. I like the other builds as well, the girl's lavatory looks better than I expected and the Chamber of Secrets set looks nice on the outside. I like the door and I really like the new Basalisk. Hogsmeade looks great too. Maybe I just didn't have many strong expectations but I'm pleased.

Edited by ToaDraco

10 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

I'd like to have the pictures DM'd.  I only briefly got to examine them on Instagram before they got taken down.  Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Would you be able to send those links? I was only able to view the Harry Potter ones

6 minutes ago, Jake_n_bake said:

Would you be able to send those links? I was only able to view the Harry Potter ones

It's only the Harry Potter ones I saved. What else actually got leaked today? I think I saw a batman head and 2 ninjago sets, that was it.

Edited by chris6507

1 minute ago, chris6507 said:

What else actually got leaked today? I think I saw a batman head and that was it.

I didn't notice anything else when I was on the hashtag looking at the Harry Potter sets earlier, other than the usual glut of posts that aren't Lego leaks - and in some cases are neither Lego nor leaks.

2 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

It's only the Harry Potter ones I saved. What else actually got leaked today? I think I saw a batman head and that was it.

Friends, 4+ Mickey and Friends, Disney Princess, Ninjago, and Minecraft were all there.

Just now, Alexandrina said:

I didn't notice anything else when I was on the hashtag looking at the Harry Potter sets earlier, other than the usual glut of posts that aren't Lego leaks - and in some cases are neither Lego nor leaks.

It was a new Mickey Mouse 4+ theme as well as creator sets including a Ferris wheel and a space shuttle. It is from the preliminary catalog so I’m guessing more will be leaking soon.

1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

Friends, 4+ Mickey and Friends, Disney Princess, Ninjago, and Minecraft were all there.

And City

Just now, Clone OPatra said:

Thank you for that. The Mickey sounds interesting. Got a 4 year old who loves Mickey Mouse. Obviously not completely on topic. But Thank you. :laugh:

5 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

It's only the Harry Potter ones I saved. What else actually got leaked today? I think I saw a batman head and 2 ninjago sets, that was it.

Ah yes I saw several ninjago sets

22 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

If anyone wants the links. Please click on my name and then on my profile select "Message" and just send me a DM. People wont be happy if we fill the page up with DM requests. :laugh:

Hi! Sorry I can’t send you a message because I just made an account, but could you kindly send me the pictures? I missed when they were up on Insta..