Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Honestly, I don't care if we get any more Hogwarts sets in the '18-'20 style or not, I just want Deathly Hallows sets covering Deathly Hallows scenes and minifigures.

Couldn't agree more. I've now made my peace with the still ongoing lack of DH sets, but I still can't help but feel somewhat robbed. Picture my disappointment back in 2011 when only two sets based on DH Part 2 were released and not a single one based on Part 1. Moreover, I didn't feel that these two sets captured the films all that well. The Harry minifigs for instance never felt like the DH version to me (which isn't surprising considering they didn't change the face print between versions as they do now). The concept art of the Malfoy Manor set that leaked a couple years was just salt in the wound :sceptic: Fast forward to when the 2018 GH set was revealed at NYTF. Seeing how much better they managed to capture the individual movies this time round was just amazing. I thought they might finally do these two films justice, but alas... 

I'm trying to look forward to the August wave, even though nothing we've heard so far sounds encouraging

I wonder if Zoom design meetings stifled their creativity and good taste...

Or was Lego exempt from restrictions like elite sports stars and pop stars, unlike us mere mortals...

The biggest question I am currently grappling with: who does LEGO think is the target audience for these sets?

The 2018-2020 sets seemed to be designed for young adult fans of Harry Potter who enjoyed the films as children and maybe now had a renewed interest in the franchise due to Fantastic Beasts. They also clearly had a target on young women and girls, focusing on fancy dress balls and dinner parties and horse drawn carriages and adventure themes and much less on action themes and big bloody battle scenes.

These new sets do not seem targeted to the same audience as the 2018-2020 set. My assumption is that LEGO believes the young adults they originally targeted with the 2018 reboot may now have children of their own and they can relive some of their nostalgia by building sets similar to ones they may have had 20 years ago with their kids. And these sets definitely feel more action (targeting boys) than adventure (targeting girls). But this seems like a big risk to take for a line that was already doing so well. If it’s not broke, why fix it?

Overall, I don’t hate the new sets and will probably buy every single one as usual. Looking through the blurry pics again with the beautiful green roofs, they do make me feel nostalgic and a bit heart achey for a simpler time... Maybe LEGO is giving us what we need in 2021 and not what we want.

But my biggest hope is that the empty translucent bar coming off the Grand Staircase Tower is intended for a yet to be revealed open-winged Fawkes the Phoenix. Fingers crossed.

Edited by sebastian666

What should I do to have a look at the images. Dont have to send photos or links just tell me generally

Do the sets tie in with the already existing Hogwarts ones? Can I combine the two halls and have CoS as the base?

41 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

LEGO has been slowly crunching down on leaks over the past few years and this got to an all-time-high when the early-2021 catalogue leaked spectacularly. The fact this website put so many of these confidential prelims out there will most likely result in LEGO crunching down even harder, which will eventually make it much harder to get leaks. 

Yes, but why is this particular leak special?

Like, I understand that this will make them be extra caucious, but wouldnt every other leak do the same?

4 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

But my biggest hope is that the empty translucent bar coming off the Grand Staircase Tower is intended for a yet to be revealed open-winged Fawkes the Phoenix. Fingers crossed.

You‘re raising an interesting point here, the set neither includes an open-winged Hedwig nor does it make sense for Nearly Headless Nick to be displayed there :wacko:

6 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

Or was Lego exempt from restrictions like elite sports stars and pop stars, unlike us mere mortals...

denmark wasnt as strict as uk and usa i believe, norway certainly wasn't

Anyways lego sets are usual planned out well in advance,  its not like this new modular was an accidental choise.

As for creativity, these kinda sets are technically more creative than "just make x part of castle for x price point"

They just gotta prove they haven't left the fans of the current 2018-2020 fans behind.

Just now, deskp said:

They just gotta prove they haven't left the fans of the current 2018-2020 fans behind.

Doesn‘t exactly sound like the August wave will deliver on that :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, Textorix said:

Yes

Rita Skeeter, Mundungus Fletcher, Narcissa Malfoy, Percy Weasley, Bill Weasley, Warewolf Lupin, non POA Sirius, Kreacher, Barty Crouch, Igor Karkaroff, Nymfadora with purple hair, Aberforth Dumbledore, Marge Dursley, Madam Pomfrey, Lockhart with Cornish Pixie, Lee Jordan, Xenophilius Lovegood... should I countinue? Or is that enough to prove you wrong? :laugh:

How exactly is this "proving me wrong?" Obviously there are many characters who haven't appeared yet. I didn't ask for a list of Harry Potter characters, the question I asked was do we really need another CMF series in the next 2 years which will only include (at the absolute most) 6 or more realistically 2-3 new characters? The most obscure characters we got when there were 16 figures were Harry's parents, do you really think LEGO will make a Mundungus Fletcher figure now that there are only 12? Our main source of obscure characters will continue to be larger sets. There are still a few  interesting characters and variants left that could work for a CMF series but I'm not sure if it's worth another trio, Dumbedore, Luna, Neville, and a few filler figures to get them. I'm not opposed to us getting another CMF line at some point but I think doing it every other year will quickly oversaturate things. 

Also if we were going to get CMF figures for Marge and Pomfrey we would've had them in series 2 where they would be relevant to sets on the market and if we we were going to get a CMF Lockhart we would've gotten him before the DA so the faceprint could be reused like the series 2 Fred and George figures. 

6 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You‘re raising an interesting point here, the set neither includes an open-winged Hedwig nor does it make sense for Nearly Headless Nick to be displayed there :wacko:

Nick is on the roof on the left. I think this could really be a flying fawkes. Because if it was Hedwig the piece exists already and would be on there. This alone would make the set worth it for me

Edited by Metanoios91

3 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Also if we were going to get CMF figures for Marge and Pomfrey we would've had them in series 2 where they would be relevant to sets on the market

Forgive me if I've forgotten a set but I don't think we've had anything yet that would properly dovetail with a Madam Pomfrey. Obviously there's not been a Hospital Wing (if there had been, PP would have been a cinch for one of the figs, so her presence in a hypothetical future CMF series wouldn't even be a point of discussion) but her only significant scenes in the films - possibly her only scenes full stop, I can't remember if she was in anyhting else - are the various hospital wing scenes from Chamber of Secrets (most prominently the Skelegro/petrification of Colin, and finding the paper in Hermione's hand) and a brief appearance at the Battle of Hogwarts. We appear to be getting the Basilisk's victims this year, and no Deathly Hallows sets have surfaced yet. It seems to be that we're likely to get Madam Pomfrey in a 2022 series, because the new Great Hall set will still be on the market, and so will any possible 2022 Deathly Hallows sets - allowing people to actually use her.

As for Marge, clearly the only way we can get her is to lobby for Lego to release a Rosemary & Thyme set for that sweet sweet Pam Ferris face. :p

9 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Forgive me if I've forgotten a set but I don't think we've had anything yet that would properly dovetail with a Madam Pomfrey. Obviously there's not been a Hospital Wing...

Hospital beds were included in the top of the clock tower. That's basically a Hospital Wing.

However in my opinion we could still easily get Pomfrey in a CMF series. The CMF figures don't correlate to available sets 1:1. Some do and plenty don't.

7 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Forgive me if I've forgotten a set but I don't think we've had anything yet that would properly dovetail with a Madam Pomfrey. Obviously there's not been a Hospital Wing (if there had been, PP would have been a cinch for one of the figs, so her presence in a hypothetical future CMF series wouldn't even be a point of discussion) but her only significant scenes in the films - possibly her only scenes full stop, I can't remember if she was in anyhting else - are the various hospital wing scenes from Chamber of Secrets (most prominently the Skelegro/petrification of Colin, and finding the paper in Hermione's hand) and a brief appearance at the Battle of Hogwarts. We appear to be getting the Basilisk's victims this year, and no Deathly Hallows sets have surfaced yet. It seems to be that we're likely to get Madam Pomfrey in a 2022 series, because the new Great Hall set will still be on the market, and so will any possible 2022 Deathly Hallows sets - allowing people to actually use her.

As for Marge, clearly the only way we can get her is to lobby for Lego to release a Rosemary & Thyme set for that sweet sweet Pam Ferris face. :p

Marge... Rosemary, Thyme, Marjoram.... there's a joke in there somewhere lol

1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

Hospital beds were included in the top of the clock tower. That's basically a Hospital Wing.

And that's what I get for making assumptions without having bought the Clock Tower. :pir_laugh2:

I think my overall point still stands though: the time will likely be best for Madam Pomfrey to show up in a CMF series in September 2022

2 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

Marge... Rosemary, Thyme, Marjoram.... there's a joke in there somewhere lol

In fairness, the quality of Rosemary & Thyme is pretty much a joke by modern standards. Pam Ferris and Felicity Kendal and the production values of 1960s Blue Peter...

34 minutes ago, BrickFunatic said:

I've been thinking ever since I saw the new X-wing and TIE fighter that they might be making cheaper sets because people have less disposable income due to our supreme overlords destroying everyone's businesses.

2 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Are the pictures still available on Instagram or have they been taken down?

They are taken down.

47 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

The biggest question I am currently grappling with: who does LEGO think is the target audience for these sets?

The 2018-2020 sets seemed to be designed for young adult fans of Harry Potter who enjoyed the films as children and maybe now had a renewed interest in the franchise due to Fantastic Beasts. They also clearly had a target on young women and girls, focusing on fancy dress balls and dinner parties and horse drawn carriages and adventure themes and much less on action themes and big bloody battle scenes.

These new sets do not seem targeted to the same audience as the 2018-2020 set. My assumption is that LEGO believes the young adults they originally targeted with the 2018 reboot may now have children of their own and they can relive some of their nostalgia by building sets similar to ones they may have had 20 years ago with their kids. And these sets definitely feel more action (targeting boys) than adventure (targeting girls). But this seems like a big risk to take for a line that was already doing so well. If it’s not broke, why fix it?

Overall, I don’t hate the new sets and will probably buy every single one as usual. Looking through the blurry pics again with the beautiful green roofs, they do make me feel nostalgic and a bit heart achey for a simpler time... Maybe LEGO is giving us what we need in 2021 and not what we want.

I can't work out who they are targeting either. 

I'd say the 2018 line was really popular with both boys and girls. 

But I can't even see the appeal of these new ones to today's kids.

Now I've had time to simmer down, I'm going to wait and remain optimistic. If these sets are more focused on interior (as opposed to the 2018-2020 range which focused more on exterior) I'm sure they will be great and provide a lot of requested scenes. I would love if we get a proper Gryffindor Common Room and perhaps some classrooms etc. in the August wave. I will then be able to have two separate interior and exterior Hogwarts displays.

28 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

I've been thinking ever since I saw the new X-wing and TIE fighter that they might be making cheaper sets because people have less disposable income due to our supreme overlords destroying everyone's businesses.

Or, you know, the people trying to save us from a global pandemic that's killing thousands of people a day but sure, blame them for businesses failing... 

Anyway, I'm sad I missed the leaks. Surely somebody saved them and uploaded them somewhere else for us to find?

I wonder if any of the in-the-know people have seen the interiors to the sets?

I was kind of hoping they'd add a way to make the Basilisk "stand up" like in the movie when he fights it with the sword, as that's what the old one lacked.