Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I imagine Weeding expansion to Burrow!

BTW do lego release a one big set (like Hogwart Castle or Diagon Alley) once a year? When officialy they will show what comes this summer?

I quite like the idea of a Bill and Fleur Wedding expansion to the Burrow.

Nothing too big, but some tables, chairs, tent build. Then for figures: Bill, Fleur, Harry, then maybe someone more obscure like Xenophilius Love good and/or Elphias Doge.

1 hour ago, finalriot said:

BTW do lego release a one big set (like Hogwart Castle or Diagon Alley) once a year? When officialy they will show what comes this summer?

We're getting one D2C this year, retailing at $249.99 and speculated to be a Diagon Alley expansion. The sets (or at least the first wave of sets) are likely to be revealed around the end of april.

4 hours ago, finalriot said:

BTW do lego release a one big set (like Hogwart Castle or Diagon Alley) once a year?

We don’t really have a pattern there any more. We thought we did, until the 2021 price list dropped :grin:

• 2018: 1 wave, 1 D2C, 1 CMF
  • 2019: 2 waves, 1 AC
  • 2020: 1 wave, 1 D2C, 1 CMF, 1 AC
  • 2021: 3 waves (!), 1 D2C, 1 AC

What even is this?! :laugh_hard:

4 hours ago, finalriot said:

When officialy they will show what comes this summer?

As @Guyon2002 points out, don’t expect to see anything official before the end of April. However, keep your eyes peeled for minifig factory leaks, which should start somewhere between late February and the middle of March :classic: 

I was reading Blocks issue 73 where they review Diagon Alley and there are a few interesting quotes from Marcos Bessa:

"We Originally had a plan to have only three buildings in Diagon Alley and they were done in a slightly bigger scale. In the first sketch (model) I had three floors in each of the buildings. I was only featuring Ollivanders, Flourish and Blotts and the Weasley shop."

Interesting to see what shops were going to be featured, I think if they had gone this road they should have released them individually like the winter village sets releasing each year as three shops would not have felt like much of a street. And no mention of Gringotts bank  being considered at all so i'd say it was in development already as a release for the final movies.

"We have no reference for what's inside a lot of these rooms. But we are very limited to what we can make up in this universe because of the partner. We have to work with Warner on anything they feel represents their IP properly, so I have very little freedom to make up stuff."

This one made me sad for him as a designer that he couldn't let his imagination run wild as to what might be in some of the rooms. He also talks about playing around with  the modular style and making them compatible but a build on a 32x32 plate would mean making up a lot of stuff that they had no reference for. 

"We don't know what the buildings look like in the background or in the back alley. We barely had enough reference to populate the interior of the buildings. it would just create a whole lot more of a puzzle that we just did not want to handle."

So i definitely think we will get Gringotts this year or next but I'm doubtful we will ever get the other side of the street. I'll add it to my list of things to build myself. In Blocks mag they do a custom Gringotts build which is not too bad but the dome is not great, can't wait to see how they do a proper dome in the official set. Hopefully they create a new part. 

On other news, I did pick up some of the new cfm figures as I wanted the violin for my Yule ball band and some of the centaur figures  to make some custom ones.

5 hours ago, Micmac said:

but I'm doubtful we will ever get the other side of the street

Since they ended up including more obscure shops in DA, why would they not make future sets of more famous ones? Maybe I am just hopeful, but I think they will make future DA expansion since a lot is missing and they need more HP sets to make :wink:

I dont like this idea personally. Since they release second 250 dollars part the first one become only “first part” and you need 500 dolars for whole DA which can be kind of expensive for lot of ppl. 

1 hour ago, KA1 said:

I dont like this idea personally. Since they release second 250 dollars part the first one become only “first part” and you need 500 dolars for whole DA which can be kind of expensive for lot of ppl. 

I think a lot of people will buy Escape from Gringotts (guessing as to what the set will be) but not the rest of the street. And if you bought the Diagon Alley set you will probably buy Gringotts to finish it off and probably the same in reverse, if you buy Gringotts you might invest in the rest of the street.

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Since they ended up including more obscure shops in DA, why would they not make future sets of more famous ones? Maybe I am just hopeful, but I think they will make future DA expansion since a lot is missing and they need more HP sets to make :wink:

I think more obscure shops got added to make it feel more Alley like.  I say the other side of the street is doubtful because the shops are not that well known. I doubt it will release it as one big set so if they break it up I doubt people will buy them unless they have the rest of the street. Never say never but I think they will make other sets rather than the rest of the street. I'm happy for Lego to prove me wrong ;)

I doubt we will ever see the rest of the micro Hogwarts set as well. 

10 hours ago, Micmac said:

"We have no reference for what's inside a lot of these rooms. But we are very limited to what we can make up in this universe because of the partner. We have to work with Warner on anything they feel represents their IP properly, so I have very little freedom to make up stuff."

"We don't know what the buildings look like in the background or in the back alley. We barely had enough reference to populate the interior of the buildings. it would just create a whole lot more of a puzzle that we just did not want to handle."

So i definitely think we will get Gringotts this year or next but I'm doubtful we will ever get the other side of the street. I'll add it to my list of things to build myself. In Blocks mag they do a custom Gringotts build which is not too bad but the dome is not great, can't wait to see how they do a proper dome in the official set. Hopefully they create a new part. 

As much as I'd love the other side of the street, I'm also sceptical there would be demand enough for those shops. However to say the interiors are a mystery isn't strictly true. We know the interiors of Wiseacre's, Slug and Jigger's, and Mulpepper's, with Potage's, Eyelop's, and the Menagerie being kind of obvious and getting a little look inside. Malkin's is a bit more unclear what the interior looks like, although we do get a few glimpses. 

I haven't finished the map I'm making of the signs, but there are lots of opportunities to fill in the top level of the street too, with J. Pippin's Potions above Malkin's, Brews and Stews above Wiseacre's and Peter Boat's above Mulpepper's and a few more I've yet to figure out the placement of. So quite a lot of interiors are know, like the Palmist above Scribbulus. 

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Unless one of Gringotts, the Leaky Cauldron or Borgin and Burke's were to be included I don't know if there would be enough to make people fork out, much as I'd love all those shops. 

Another thing is minifigures. If you're spending hundreds of pounds you'd want a few good exclusive minifigures. For the shops on the other side of Diagon Alley, only Wiseacres (or an employee) is very briefly seen in CoS as far as I know.

Aside from Arthur, Percy, Fred and George the characters from the first two films are all in DA. I think B&B and Gringotts are best left as their own sets, so including The Leaky Cauldron with Harry, Hermione and the Wesley's from PoA may work alongside Tom and a few other denizens. 

On 1/18/2021 at 9:36 PM, finalriot said:

Guys how do you think how long will the diagon alley expansion will be? 

Just bought diagon alley set (had a opportunity to buy it around - 20% price) and looking for shelves to display it but want to prepare space for future things :3...

Can I ask where has it 20% less? 

I'm surprised people believe they used obscure shops in the official set. Quidditch and Daily Prophet are super well known. Scribbulus is iffy, Fortescue's is about the same. 

When I think Diagon Alley, automatically think of Ollivander's, Flourish, WWW, Gringott's. In theory you could argue the Owl Emporium and Potage's just because of the visual appearance on the street, but not necessarily well known in terms of their names. Malkin's robes, sure, but again, not something people really think of.

So I think they hit the nail on the head with what they chose. Now that will most likely limit what they would release next for the other shops since there isn't anything too notable about them, outside of street presence. But characters and scenes are more limited.

And I had an idea to build an escape from Gringott's. I may still do it, but knowing (or at least assuming) what LEGO will be releasing in the not so distant future, I may as well scrap it. They have better access to pieces than I do and everyone will think I copied them. I had a microscale Hogwarts (like many others) and once I saw their official one, I just tore mine apart. I can't compete with official designers.

4 hours ago, girlie-site-boots said:

Can I ask where has it 20% less? 

Allegro - it is a Polish online e-commerce platform (amazon-like) - There was aroud 20 pieces on sale. 

I’m happy more shops were included, in particular I really enjoy the grey/blue color combo of Scribbulus and the door frame of Daily Prophet while small was a really nice touch. The only one I’m not crazy about was Florean’s because the bright yellow not being present all the way through. And the Florean minifigs is pretty awesome and its good to have some exclusive minifigs. 

As for what comes next, I see the next addition having 5 stores from left to right with the furthest right connecting to Ollivander’s . Gringott’s as a stand-alone building in the vein of WWW, Borgin and Burkes and Wiseacre’s evenly sharing a baseplate since they are the duller buildings, and Madam Malkin’s being the QQS of this addition due to its purple hues taking up a majority of the baseplate with a small portion dedicated to the Leaky Cauldron. 

As for minifigs, I see a more DH centric lineup since PS Harry and Hagrid showed up in Diagon Alley. DH Harry, DH Ron, Hermione in Bellatrix disguise (doubles as a Bellatrix), Fenrir Greyback, 2x goblin, Mr Burke, Tom, Arthur Weasley, younger Weasley twins from either CoS or PoA, and a couple of mannequins for Madam Malkins. I do imagine that the Ironbelly and some add ons to Gringott’s would come in their own set, thus giving both the Ironbelly and Gringott’s a beefier build. 

Edited by RODDY

Guys do you use any shelves to display DA that you recommend? The lack from ikea is only 26cm and DA is 29cm so my plan is ruined! :P

Nevermind 29cm is the heigh XD

Edited by finalriot

If the 2020 Diagon Alley set has sold well enough, I could easily see the other side of the alley becoming a set at some point.  Without LEGO releasing information on sales, it's tricky to determine exactly how well the set sold.  Either way, I'll almost certainly purchase anything LEGO puts out for this theme if they keep up the quality.

People are talking about Gringotts being an additional just a Diagon Alley add on similar to the 2010 size but does this mean we could get 2 gringott's. One for Diagon Alley, one for the DH with the Lestrange vault and a dragon

3 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

People are talking about Gringotts being an additional just a Diagon Alley add on similar to the 2010 size but does this mean we could get 2 gringott's. One for Diagon Alley, one for the DH with the Lestrange vault and a dragon

Hard to guess, since Gringotts was not even considered for the DA D2C from the start it only makes sense if it comes in a separate set that is in scale with it.
So then it depends on the price if it is the 130$ set it probably is just the bank, however if it is the 250$ one then I think both the dragon and a second building is included.
Say it is the 130$, we might get a second set with the dragon maybe with some part of the bank that might or might not be in scale with the main building..
We probably will know a lot more when we get the set names later:classic:

Regarding other sets from DA in the future, I think it makes most sense to give us one building per set around 100$ to keep the cost down so more people can keep up, make it a yearly expansion like Hogwarts so both HP and more casual modular fans can expand the street in the future :wink:

Built the first of the book sets the other day (Transfiguration), and thought it was pretty decent. 

In terms of value for money it doesn't compare too well against some of the other smaller sets though, like the Room of Requirement or Forbidden Forest. May be somewhat an regional issue, costing about 40 EURO in Norway.

6 hours ago, Ringwraith said:

I definitely think because Lego have seemed to save Gringotts for this year that was a deliberate choice to tie it into a Deathly Hallows wave. Also because the visual of the dragon on top of the main building is very iconic thanks to the Harry Potter parks I am pretty sure there will be just one set, with maybe the vaults hidden from the outside on the ground floor and the atrium on the first floor. 

I’d be shocked if the eventual Gringotts set wasn’t based on DH. As @Darth Shadowthrone points out, the Ironbelly resting on top of the building has become an icon in and of itself, so not capitalising on that would be downright stupid. The only small issue I‘m seeing with a DH Gringotts set is Griphook. Omitting him would be weird since he‘s essential to the scene, but so would including him thanks to the CMF version, which seems to depict the very same scene (given it’s the only scene he’s holding the sword apart from Voldy’s temper tantrum and the facial expression fits too). I know Dobby was reused in a set as well, but at least they waited for two years rather than just one :tongue: 

Then again, CMF series seem to have their own separate budget, so it‘s better to introduce new moulds there and reuse them shortly after rather than depleting the ressources of the theme proper :shrug_oh_well: 

It’s not an official set but check out the Chamber of Secrets Slazar Slytherin head builtbycalvin made for his basilisk .. on Instagram .. it’s awesome ?

Edited by Jarreth2

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I’d be shocked if the eventual Gringotts set wasn’t based on DH. As @Darth Shadowthrone points out, the Ironbelly resting on top of the building has become an icon in and of itself, so not capitalising on that would be downright stupid. The only small issue I‘m seeing with a DH Gringotts set is Griphook. Omitting him would be weird since he‘s essential to the scene, but so would including him thanks to the CMF version, which seems to depict the very same scene (given it’s the only scene he’s holding the sword apart from Voldy’s temper tantrum and the facial expression fits too). I know Dobby was reused in a set as well, but at least they waited for two years rather than just one :tongue: 

Then again, CMF series seem to have their own separate budget, so it‘s better to introduce new moulds there and reuse them shortly after rather than depleting the ressources of the theme proper :shrug_oh_well: 

I've thought about how Griphook could fit too but I expect Lego will do for him exactly what they did for Dobby and just give him a new face-print, with a serious face and an alternate face with an even bigger grin than the CMF variant. 

Also you raise a good point about introducing new moulds in CMF series, I expect they will put the new Goblin hair mould to good use. One thing I am looking forward to is seeing some recolours of Griphooks piece for other goblins, with the same ears but white, black or orange hair if we ending up getting 3-4 goblins included (which shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility!) 

1 hour ago, Jinzol said:

Next week we should probably have more informations about the sets.

What makes you say that?