Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

6 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Okay, I can forgive a lot (A LOT) of weird decisions in this set because I really love it.

But who the hell chose to put Ron Barney in this? Like he's never been pictured and has only been mentioned once or twice.

Thought he was Robbie at first, then I saw Robbie and got confused. Surely there were some other minor side characters they could use instead of Z-list Ron Barney and Amber Grant

It is certainly tempting me, but I’m not positive, as I mostly buy MCU. It looks great though.

4 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Why is Blade there if there aren't any baddies for him in particular to hunt? Who is Punisher tracking down? 

Blade's after Venom, he's basically a space vampire, and Punisher's probably after Cletus Kassidy

4 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

Blade's after Venom, he's basically a space vampire, and Punisher's probably after Cletus Kassidy

Morbius is on a screen sticker inside. Both Blade and Punisher are in Morbius stories. This strongly suggests Morbius story Spidey sets are coming for the period when around the Sony Morbius movie release.

9 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

It is certainly tempting me, but I’m not positive, as I mostly buy MCU. It looks great though.

Same, I'll def get daredevil off BL tho

Also, this has got to be the tallest lego set, right? It was the Haunted House, then Gardens, and now this?

I wonder if the leaflet is going to have a mini comic section explaining what's going on

23 minutes ago, TobyAis said:

What would they put on the Punisher's hip?.. he already has his belt on his torso.. and I think Blade could have had leg printing.. like the rest of his trench coat and a gun holster or something

His belt. His belt shouldn’t go on his torso it goes on his hip. It looks like he’s wearing a fanny pack. Hip pieces are the natural place to print belts that go around the waist because it acts as the waist of the figure. Printing his belt on his torso is like plcing it on his stomach. Blade could have but works decently without it. I think Firestar looks bad.

30 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I agree with this. I mean, I'm happy because I didnt bought any marvel set for the past two years, but I'd be really pissed if I were an avid collector

Thats 10 repeats and 10 civilians, 4 new characters, 5 if you count Gwen who wasn’t done right. I stand by what I said earlier which is if at least 2 of the 10 repeats had been variants (Mysterio with leg pattern print and Olivia Octavius would have been nice) or if 2 had been swapped for new character’s altogether (idk why I was expecting Hydro Man), the other repeats would be easier to swallow. But the fact that 3/4 of the new characters have inaccurate print makes it even more of an eyesore. I already think Punisher and Firestar need new variants to fix the issues with their original print.

Lego should really normalize leg printing, side leg printing, arm printing and occasionally unique hair pieces for the future. A lot of these figs just look inaccurate or bad.

I must say i really like all those db tiles. Superpromising as well. Rhino, classic electro, kingpin, man on the moon (man-wolf Jonah’s son) and the likes of Warren and Connors hinting on Jackall and Lizard. Blade is imo a hint for an upcoming Morbius. But then again, i had rather get those figs in this set than the rehashes. Also spiderham and spidergwen are not needed, as well as some of the civilians (aunt may) or the not so good designed civilians. Gwen Stacy and Robertson aren’t that good either. 
Another thing that i dislike is the stairways outside being red. I know the build needs more colour, but i don’t know if this was the best solution

You really have to like the exterior modern skyscraper design of the building to justify this set and personally that's the weakest part of the set for me, it's not visually interesting and externally you have little to define this as the Daily Bugle other than stickers and the logo on the top. I think it's a bit of a letdown that they varied from the more detailed older New York style of building, at least then it would stand out if the stickers were removed. Misspelling of 'Curt Connors' as 'Kur Connors' is disappointing, not a fan of stickers at the best of times but innacurate stickers are annoying as it removes a key aspect that designates this as the Daily Bugle if removed or not applied. The inclusion of a New York Taxi is fine, but the Spider Buggy was not needed. In a similar sense the structure for Sandman and the Fire Escape I could have done without. The Fire Escape especially feels out of place with the rest of the build as it only shares colour scheme with the Daily Bugle Logo - but I suppose Lego wanted to try and distract from how bland/generic the main building is.

A lot of figures are re-used or have been done elsewhere meaning I already own a lot of them, and the main appealing characters are not intrinsically tied to Spider-man but general Marvel characters. I would much rather have had the OG Sinister Six, or at the very least Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Vulture, Kraven and Mysterio (If they are saving off on Electro) as opposed to the inclusion of Venom and Carnage again. If they are going to re-use villains, then at the very least make it so we have a singular set with a majority of the Sinister Six. Out of the figures, most are not ones I am interested in and I doubt they'll expand on supporting characters of the ones I am interested in for quite a while (In which case it's more likely we'll see the characters again in future with more detail). We could have gotten Mary Jane Watson, Harry Osborn or Eddie Brock - but instead we go  'Literally Who?' in the form of Ron Barney (who has never appeared) and Amber Grant.

This is going to be a pass from me, hopefully we'll get an Avengers/Stark Tower next year with a better design :shrug_oh_well:

The Bugle looks amazing!!!! Definitely getting it. I’m in love with all the references.

I know I'm in the minority because I've never bought a Marvel set but I don't mind repeats or inaccuracies in the minifigures. I just remember loving the silly Raimi trilogy so those classic villains are the ones I resonate most with.

That being said, woah! The set is MASSIVE. Stonewars has photoshopped it next to the modular police station and I have to say that it doesn't look half bad. I was worried it would be too tall but, to be honest, it blends in quite nicely. I'm happy it's appealing from all sides and that there aren't any missing walls, so the floors that stick over the other buildings are not just blank brick walls.

400CAD stings, but for 3772 pieces and 25 minifigures, it's pretty much Marvel's Death Star. It's cheaper though, since IIRC 10188 retailed for 500CAD.

Yeah the more I look the more I really hate the figure selection. Black Cat grew on me but firestar needs yellow and red legs the plain yellow makes her look unfinished. Punishers belt piece should be on the hip not the torso and it looks way too high up. Why is he smiling? Blade looks good but 2/4 of the new heroes look bad. Gwen looks bad. Sandman has always looked bad in this form with the generic angry clone face and cheap arm/torso print. Too many repeats and inaccurate designs. Lacking so much detail. What will it take for Lego marvel to give us the type of figures Ninjago gets on a regular basis. I guess Marvel is so popular they expect kids to buy it regardless?

1 hour ago, LegoNetherlands said:

Any recommendations for to upgrade the legs if firestar?

The only ones I can think of are the legs from the Avatar Harumi, from the "Gaming" inspired recent sets of Ninjago...

Ok so I looked at all the visual clues we got and tried to piece together the potential story behind this set. If you're interested in them, here are all the visual clues I wrote down: 

Spoiler

- Goblin breaks window of Pete's office and is followed by Spider-Man.
- Doc Ock is heading towards the opening created by Goblin.
- Sandman is attacking the Bugle's entrance.
- Mysterio is on the fire escape.
- Carnage and Black Cat are at the Bugle's back entrances.
- Punisher is going after Carnage.
- Venom is fighting Miles and Spider-Ham above the door Black Cat is at.
- Firestar isn't fighting and seems to have just arrived to the ongoing chaos.
- Morbius spotted on subway.
- Villains promised to stop being bad guys earlier that day.
- The clone epidemic is currently going on.
- Tons of Spidey related pictures and articles.

So with those clues out of the way here's my theory: 
Spider-Man's rogues have come up with an elaborate plan to discover his identity and have targeted the Bugle so they can try and capture Peter Parker, who is obviously known as the guy who keeps making great pictures of Spidey. Earlier that day some of the villains came forward and lied to the city by telling them they would stop being bad guys, possibly to get the heroes off their back and put all the attention on the Clone Pandemic caused by Miles Warren which is currently going on.
Later that day the villains see the perfect window to execute their plan and they head towards the Bugle. This is what I assume to be their plan:
- Green Goblin infiltrates the building to create an opening for Doc Ock to enter, capture Pete and slip away unnoticed. By blowing up the side of the building (right by Pete's office) Goblin both distracts Spider-Man and allows Ock to get inside unseen. 
- Sandman, Carnage, Venom, Black Cat and Mysterio are tasked with guarding/attacking the entrances and fire escape to ensure nobody, Peter in particular, escapes the building. 

Now we come to what the heroes are doing: 
- Spider-Man is going after Goblin.
- Gwen is fighting Mysterio.
- Spider-Ham and Miles are fighting Venom, who is most likely up there to ensure Black Cat can keep guarding her assigned door.
- Blade is in New York to track down Morbius, who has been spotted near a subway. He probably hears the commotion and heads towards it to assist the heroes.
- Punisher is going after Carnage, possibly to avenge someone Cletus killed. It's not crazy to assume Daredevil was chasing Punisher and decided to help out the heroes when he saw the Bugle under attack.
- Firestar is just flying around the top of the Bugle so I assume she is only just arriving to assist the heroes. 

The possible storylines seem a bit jumbled but I think the core of the story is the villains pulling off an elaborate plot to capture Peter. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Anyone commented on the fact the elevator appears to move diagonally because the top two floors are smaller?

15 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Ok so I looked at all the visual clues we got and tried to piece together the potential story behind this set. If you're interested in them, here are all the visual clues I wrote down: 

Hide contents

- Goblin breaks window of Pete's office and is followed by Spider-Man.
- Doc Ock is heading towards the opening created by Goblin.
- Sandman is attacking the Bugle's entrance.
- Mysterio is on the fire escape.
- Carnage and Black Cat are at the Bugle's back entrances.
- Punisher is going after Carnage.
- Venom is fighting Miles and Spider-Ham above the door Black Cat is at.
- Firestar isn't fighting and seems to have just arrived to the ongoing chaos.
- Morbius spotted on subway.
- Villains promised to stop being bad guys earlier that day.
- The clone epidemic is currently going on.
- Tons of Spidey related pictures and articles.

So with those clues out of the way here's my theory: 
Spider-Man's rogues have come up with an elaborate plan to discover his identity and have targeted the Bugle so they can try and capture Peter Parker, who is obviously known as the guy who keeps making great pictures of Spidey. Earlier that day some of the villains came forward and lied to the city by telling them they would stop being bad guys, possibly to get the heroes off their back and put all the attention on the Clone Pandemic caused by Miles Warren which is currently going on.
Later that day the villains see the perfect window to execute their plan and they head towards the Bugle. This is what I assume to be their plan:
- Green Goblin infiltrates the building to create an opening for Doc Ock to enter, capture Pete and slip away unnoticed. By blowing up the side of the building (right by Pete's office) Goblin both distracts Spider-Man and allows Ock to get inside unseen. 
- Sandman, Carnage, Venom, Black Cat and Mysterio are tasked with guarding/attacking the entrances and fire escape to ensure nobody, Peter in particular, escapes the building. 

Now we come to what the heroes are doing: 
- Spider-Man is going after Goblin.
- Gwen is fighting Mysterio.
- Spider-Ham and Miles are fighting Venom, who is most likely up there to ensure Black Cat can keep guarding her assigned door.
- Blade is in New York to track down Morbius, who has been spotted near a subway. He probably hears the commotion and heads towards it to assist the heroes.
- Punisher is going after Carnage, possibly to avenge someone Cletus killed. It's not crazy to assume Daredevil was chasing Punisher and decided to help out the heroes when he saw the Bugle under attack.
- Firestar is just flying around the top of the Bugle so I assume she is only just arriving to assist the heroes. 

The possible storylines seem a bit jumbled but I think the core of the story is the villains pulling off an elaborate plot to capture Peter. 

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I think you read way too much into it, but thats okay because I love crazy theories.

Please, do more with each lego Spider-Man set.

6 minutes ago, HatBricks said:

Anyone commented on the fact the elevator appears to move diagonally because the top two floors are smaller?

Magic

Just now, PGBQW said:

I think you read way too much into it, but thats okay because I love crazy theories.

That's the point :wink::tongue: Even if it doesn't matter much it's still fun to try and figure out a storyline in a big set like this. 

Just now, lego_guyon02 said:

That's the point :wink::tongue: Even if it doesn't matter much it's still fun to try and figure out a storyline in a big set like this. 

Oh, believe me, I say it as the biggest compliment I can give

The criticism for the building being bland is a little harsh in my opinion. It's made to be exactly like how the daily bugle looks in the comics. A plain skyscraper building with Daily Bugle on top. How else could it have been better? The red logo and stairs I understand but it's bold and unapologetically LEGO so I dig it.

My personal fan theory is that The Punisher is tracking down the elusive Ron Barney, since no one knows how he looks

1 minute ago, PGBQW said:

My personal fan theory is that The Punisher is tracking down the elusive Ron Barney, since no one knows how he looks

He commited tax fraud

7 minutes ago, Leggomyleggo said:

The criticism for the building being bland is a little harsh in my opinion. It's made to be exactly like how the daily bugle looks in the comics. A plain skyscraper building with Daily Bugle on top. How else could it have been better? The red logo and stairs I understand but it's bold and unapologetically LEGO so I dig it.

Yeah the bugle has looked like this in the comics, sometime kinda bland, but for the big D2C version of this iconic building, I personally would have preferred a more classic, antique style of arquitecture, at lease the facade. Maybe its just me, most people´s opinion here, (besides a few, from what I recall reading), really dig the look of it, but I don´t...

49 minutes ago, cosmic said:

His belt. His belt shouldn’t go on his torso it goes on his hip. It looks like he’s wearing a fanny pack. Hip pieces are the natural place to print belts that go around the waist because it acts as the waist of the figure. Printing his belt on his torso is like plcing it on his stomach.

But it's not a belt.. like a trousers belt, it's a tactical belt, it's where it's supposed to be.. it's like wearing a vest, the belt is just above your waist
Plus they'd have to print half of his mag pouches on his torso and the other half on his waist and it wouldn't have looked better
300176-punisher-006.jpg 

Edited by TobyAis