Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, AmperZand said:

What’s surprising is that LEGO didn’t realise sooner. Was it still testing after going into production?

LAN members received their copies of the sets but we're asked not to review them when the issue was discovered. My guess is some folks in the LAN had already build them prior to the review embargo date, discovered the issue themselves and reported it to LEGO.

Gosh it's so dumb about the mechs. They'll have already produced them all too, so that's a lot of sets going in the grinder.

Just goes to show how false the thought process is that a billion dollar company doesn't make mistakes. Surely they playtest the heck out of everything. Surely they catch obvious issues. Nope! Although what's ironic is that this is even a problem to them. My 2000 Millenium Falcon smashed if you squeezed it  slightly too hard. Then you put it back together again, or make something else. That's how LEGO was.

The lack of any LEGO Hawkeye content becomes more disappointing with each week...

This episode's character, next episode's character... it just really sucks.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

LEGO doesn't test things. They make 700 sets a year and just keep throwing products out the door. They figured such a small change in a build shouldn't be an issue.

But in the last six months they had three HUGE mistakes, the North America Stuntz cars weren't built right, the second GWP set gets canceled and the issues with the mechs.

15 minutes ago, Maple said:

LEGO doesn't test things. They make 700 sets a year and just keep throwing products out the door. They figured such a small change in a build shouldn't be an issue.

But in the last six months they had three HUGE mistakes, the North America Stuntz cars weren't built right, the second GWP set gets canceled and the issues with the mechs.

All LEGO products are tested, the Stuntz was an issue with the North American production line, something that would not have been caught in playtesting since those would be European parts. 

24 minutes ago, GlacierPhoenix said:

All LEGO products are tested, the Stuntz was an issue with the North American production line, something that would not have been caught in playtesting since those would be European parts. 

I agree with GlacierPhoenix - there are laws specific to toys for children that require safety testing. Asume it's more of a production and plastic issue in the Mexico plant (which seems to score with the canceled Christmas Living room set. 

19 hours ago, AmperZand said:

What’s surprising is that LEGO didn’t realise sooner. Was it still testing after going into production?

There are several issues with re-designed well known elements lately, like 2x4 plate with pins in Hagird hut, making it impossible to attach:

I would not be suprisded if internal diameter of https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4081b#T=C

Was changed.

7 hours ago, GlacierPhoenix said:

All LEGO products are tested, 

Oh really? That's why a TMNT set had to be redone after release? IS that why an Antman set had to be redone after release? Is that why these mechs had to canceled / delayed when I guarantee you some stores have already been sent them?

56 minutes ago, Maple said:

Oh really? That's why a TMNT set had to be redone after release? IS that why an Antman set had to be redone after release? Is that why these mechs had to canceled / delayed when I guarantee you some stores have already been sent them?

Just because a few issues were found post-testing doesn’t mean they don’t test. There are legal testing requirements in the US and Europe for toy testing. Plenty of video games still have bugs after testing. When you release as many sets a year as they do, you’re going to miss things or take longer to release things than you want. Having said that, stability issues should have been caught unless it’s a material specific issue.

43 minutes ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

Plenty of video games still have bugs after testing.

If it got to the point that LEGO sets were released like AAA videogame titles, we'd be in BIG trouble. Many games are knowingly released unfinished just to meet a deadline.

I don't get the framework of making excuses for the big profit-oriented company, even when it's LEGO which we all know and love and feel like it's a bit of family. They employ people to test things. Lots of people. And if they're not employing enough people for that, then it's a problem.

A freak plastic issue which seems to be effecting some copies of the Volkswagen van is one thing, but not properly play testing a new design for mechs which didn't need to be changed in the first place is something else. Why did this get as far as production before it was caught? At the end of the day it doesn't effect the consumer too badly because we can't even buy them, but it's still a head scratcher.

I had an issue with a bar/bar hole connection on the little scooter in 31081: Modular Skate House, basicly the bar is too tight into the bar holder hole somehow, while I had many other cases where bars would fit just right and not get stuck at all, even in the same set there are 2 bars in yellow you put into the same piece type, so in that case it probably was a rare part issue.

However I can certainly see the marvel mech hip design causing trouble, with the 1x1 plate with ring, then the bar with ball, the 1x1 stud can move, the bar could get stuck, or the ring could break off from twisting the leg etc, all sorts of potential issues from that design, it's probably not very likely to happen on a new product, but from long term play it's still on a crucial moving part.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

I don't get the framework of making excuses for the big profit-oriented company.

Because many AFOLs think LEGO is their god, their best (only) friend and frankly are in a cult. I'm sick of it and the reason I will disappear for months at a time. I love LEGOs but I hate the community.

Hi, 

Sorry for little bit offtopic but is there any list which relating specific marvel sets to specific movies?

I try to google it but probably nobody did that.

For example.. are there any sets relate to Iron man 2 or hulk 1 

Thank you 

K

All LEGO products are tested to some extent because they simply have to be in order to sell them but there's no denying LEGO has really been slacking off on quality control since 2017-18, which considering the bloated prices they charge us for a lot of their products is unacceptable. From pieces that aren't manufactured well to broken minifigures right out of the box, bad (mis)prints, the light-on-a-dark-piece printing, not properly cut out stickers and bad design techniques. These Marvel mechs definitely aren't the first example of LEGO's worsening quality control and definitely won't be the last either. I don't care how much they like using it but it's obvious their "only the best is good enough" motto got discarded years ago.

3 hours ago, KA1 said:

Hi, 

Sorry for little bit offtopic but is there any list which relating specific marvel sets to specific movies?

I try to google it but probably nobody did that.

For example.. are there any sets relate to Iron man 2 or hulk 1 

Thank you 

K

Essentially no one got their own set until the first Avengers film, and even then Cap’s first set is for Civil War, Iron Man’s is from 3, Thor’s is also 3. You have to wait for Ant-Man and Guardians before you get characters who get sets from their self-titled debuts. If you go onto Bricklink or Brickset and look for lists of sets, they both have comprehensive lists. Other search methods are available, I’m sure.

I think the mistake with the marvel mechs was switching the design of the hip joint away from the piece with the 3 ball joints (a part that is still being produced and is in several sets that will be hanging around for quite a while such as the new VW van and the dark red pickup truck). Why they would change a perfectly good hip/leg design is beyond me.

12 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

If it got to the point that LEGO sets were released like AAA videogame titles, we'd be in BIG trouble. Many games are knowingly released unfinished just to meet a deadline.

I don't get the framework of making excuses for the big profit-oriented company, even when it's LEGO which we all know and love and feel like it's a bit of family. They employ people to test things. Lots of people. And if they're not employing enough people for that, then it's a problem.

A freak plastic issue which seems to be effecting some copies of the Volkswagen van is one thing, but not properly play testing a new design for mechs which didn't need to be changed in the first place is something else. Why did this get as far as production before it was caught? At the end of the day it doesn't effect the consumer too badly because we can't even buy them, but it's still a head scratcher.

That’s fair, video games wasn’t the best example. I’d like to specify I’m not trying to make excuses for them, just stating that in a sample size that large it’s virtually impossible to catch every flaw. We definitely should be holding them to a high standard especially based on the price, I’m just trying to be realistic because as an engineer I’m especially aware that no product is perfect and no amount of testing will catch every flaw.

10 hours ago, Maple said:

Because many AFOLs think LEGO is their god, their best (only) friend and frankly are in a cult. I'm sick of it and the reason I will disappear for months at a time. I love LEGOs but I hate the community.

Nice of you to make such flattering assumptions about people.

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

I think the mistake with the marvel mechs was switching the design of the hip joint away from the piece with the 3 ball joints (a part that is still being produced and is in several sets that will be hanging around for quite a while such as the new VW van and the dark red pickup truck). Why they would change a perfectly good hip/leg design is beyond me.

That definitely does seem to be the problem but I get what they were TRYING to do. I think they should have just made a new piece that has two ball joints instead of three to remove the extra bit down there but I guess they tried to do it without creating new parts.

9 minutes ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

Assumption - a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof. 

That's not what I'm doing at all. Some AFOLs act like LEGO is their leader, their religion, their only friend. It's sad and pathetic, but it's the case. Don't act like LEGO is a cult leader and I won't call it out. LEGO makes mistakes, LEGO lies to us all the time. They are a company, it's what they do. Don't needlessly defend them and I won't call it out.

50 minutes ago, Maple said:

Assumption - a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof. 

That's not what I'm doing at all. Some AFOLs act like LEGO is their leader, their religion, their only friend. It's sad and pathetic, but it's the case. Don't act like LEGO is a cult leader and I won't call it out. LEGO makes mistakes, LEGO lies to us all the time. They are a company, it's what they do. Don't needlessly defend them and I won't call it out.

Bruh, what are you even talking about.

You sound so dumb saying all that stuff :tongue:

1 hour ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

That's definitely not an assumption

Leaked pics for 3 of the Spidey and His Amazing Friends sets have finally showed up in the usual hashtag on Instagram and you can actually see them if you type in the set number in the Lego Instructions app, whoops.

Besides the figures and builds being SUPER kid-ified...Rhino is surprisingly pretty good. He has this new (?) shoulder and helmet combo piece with a horn attached, and he and Hulk are the only ones that have regular sized legs (and Hulk appears to have dual molded legs with purple shorts) while the rest are all using the mid-legs. He honestly looks like he would fit great with the regular Spider-Man minifigures if the problem wasn't that he's supposed to be a big fig.

Edited by TheBatstan

Hope I'll be able to get a few of Kamala and Liv's new hairpieces but other than that there's nothing here that interests me. These sets are still fantastic for young kids though.

I love these sets. It's a nice and cute Spidey wave to get before the hopefully inevitable NWH wave 2