Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I do hope we get more X-Men stuff beyond just another Wolverine fig and a mech.

Give me a Professor X please and something to represent Cerebro.

X-Men '97 and Spider-Man: Freshman Year seems the most likely to get sets. X-Men because it finally gives Lego a medium to base sets off Wolverine and others. Spider-Man because . . . well, it's Spider-Man.

Oh somehow I hadn't thought of Lego when I heard about X-Men '97. I'd love to get Jim Lee versions of the X-Men, but I won't get my hopes up just yet. So far, there hasn't been a single Disney Plus show for which we got all the main characters. What If is, I think, the one for which we got the most figs, and yet there are some very notable holes.

So I tried putting Princess Leila’s head (from the Tantive 4 and X Wing sets) on Sylvie and surprisingly it suits her really well and is way better than the official head

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

I do hope we get more X-Men stuff beyond just another Wolverine fig and a mech.

Give me a Professor X please and something to represent Cerebro.

26 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

Oh somehow I hadn't thought of Lego when I heard about X-Men '97. I'd love to get Jim Lee versions of the X-Men, but I won't get my hopes up just yet. So far, there hasn't been a single Disney Plus show for which we got all the main characters. What If is, I think, the one for which we got the most figs, and yet there are some very notable holes.

I could honestly see a whole wave of X-Men sets when 2023 rolls around to coincide with '97. Like, it can't be a coincidence that the first mutants project out of Disney-owned Marvel not only doesn't allow direct comparisons to be drawn to the live-action Fox series, but re-introduces the core concept of the X-Men and brings with it nostalgia to people who grew up during the original run and might have kids of their own that they'll be more than happy to introduce to the show (and buy all those sweet tie-in toys to for Christmas). Sort of a clean slate to further separate their eventual MCU live-action from the Fox-verse. Because looking at the upcoming shows announced, I can't imagine that Marvel aren't going to go in just as hard once the X-Men are introduced to the MCU. Just picture the potential for D+ shows alone: X-Force, Gambit, Cable's Fun Future Apocalyptic Adventures, Magneto going... hunting in South America in the 60s', seven season Wolverine mini-series each set in a different time period, *insert any other mutant team or character*.

To actually tie this rambling, corporate analysis to Lego though, just imagine something mirroring the Eternals wave. A small "Wolverine vs Magneto" set, "Juggernaut Ambush!", an Arishem-sized Sentinel set and the Blackbird for the biggest one: Sprinkle the main X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants (or whoever they're going to be fighting) throughout them and it's a pretty solid, basic start to the mutants through X-Men '97. After that, who knows?

This could just as easily just be me overestimating Marvel's plans and the X-Men's star power horrendously, but it's a small hope. :classic:

8 hours ago, PavillionDweller said:

I could honestly see a whole wave of X-Men sets when 2023 rolls around to coincide with '97. Like, it can't be a coincidence that the first mutants project out of Disney-owned Marvel not only doesn't allow direct comparisons to be drawn to the live-action Fox series, but re-introduces the core concept of the X-Men and brings with it nostalgia to people who grew up during the original run and might have kids of their own that they'll be more than happy to introduce to the show (and buy all those sweet tie-in toys to for Christmas). Sort of a clean slate to further separate their eventual MCU live-action from the Fox-verse. Because looking at the upcoming shows announced, I can't imagine that Marvel aren't going to go in just as hard once the X-Men are introduced to the MCU. Just picture the potential for D+ shows alone: X-Force, Gambit, Cable's Fun Future Apocalyptic Adventures, Magneto going... hunting in South America in the 60s', seven season Wolverine mini-series each set in a different time period, *insert any other mutant team or character*.

To actually tie this rambling, corporate analysis to Lego though, just imagine something mirroring the Eternals wave. A small "Wolverine vs Magneto" set, "Juggernaut Ambush!", an Arishem-sized Sentinel set and the Blackbird for the biggest one: Sprinkle the main X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants (or whoever they're going to be fighting) throughout them and it's a pretty solid, basic start to the mutants through X-Men '97. After that, who knows?

This could just as easily just be me overestimating Marvel's plans and the X-Men's star power horrendously, but it's a small hope. :classic:

I'm imagining a small wave of sets first to test the waters, to see how well the revived series goes down with the Lego-buying public. £20 "Wolverine vs Sabretooth", £35 "Juggernaut Rampage", and £50 "Magneto vs the X-Men", something like that. If they are popular (the sets AND the show itself), I'd imagine a D2C X-Mansion to cash in on adults who are nostalgic for the original show will follow.

It took ages to get a Spider-Man D2C, so I don't expect Lego to do this immediately for X-Men, but I'm sure it'll come sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, BigA_7 said:

So I tried putting Princess Leila’s head (from the Tantive 4 and X Wing sets) on Sylvie and surprisingly it suits her really well and is way better than the official head

I also did. I didn't watch the show but I love the CMF figure (just switched the black legs with dark metal grey ones). Without knowing anything about the fuzz that she's supposed to be a dark character or something - just the design looks so much better with a less comical face

I finally got Loki from the CMF series, leading to the revelation that Throg has a little Thor helmet sculpted on the back of his head! Adorable.

Also, is there a reason that White Vision's cape is the one-hole version instead of the standard two-hole?

With Marvel’s movie slate for next year getting pushed back (and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever seems likely to be pushed back even more imo), hopefully Lego can fast track some Disney+ based sets.

Usually, I’d be excited by new set reveals, but the upcoming slate is just so mind-numbingly BORING across the board, not only for this theme. I’m more looking forward to 2HY set rumours :tongue:

23 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Usually, I’d be excited by new set reveals, but the upcoming slate is just so mind-numbingly BORING across the board, not only for this theme. I’m more looking forward to 2HY set rumours :tongue:

Completely agree, the only things I'm looking forward to for January is Potter's Madam Pomfrey figure and the Doctor Strange set (though we aren't even sure if that's still january).

True. 

The only Marvel sets that we know of or are rumoured that I'm genuinely excited about are for Love and Thunder and No Way Home

Doctor Strange and Wakanda Forever are my least hyped MCU projects since I don't even know how long, so I don't care about those sets at all.

The rest are not based on movies so they also do not excite me.

55 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

[…] the Doctor Strange set (though we aren't even sure if that's still january).

I don’t think it is. We haven’t even seen Wong’s and America Chavez’s costumes yet (right?), so it would be too soon for a reveal I think, which would happen soon if it were still a January release :classic:

It’s a bit sad honestly when the only potentially interesting minifigs are from 4+ sets (Rhino and the genderbent Doc Ock). The upcoming movie-based sets will surely be more intriguing, but too bad we’ll have to wait quite a bit for those.

The January wave would be infinitely better if those rumoured NWH sets were a part of it, but I guess we have to consider ourselves lucky if they exist at all :tongue:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Amen to that. The only set I’m moderately excited for is Wolverine’s Mech to be honest. Ironshem sounds meh.

With the immense fanfare currently surrounding the NWH trailer debut tomorrow, it’ll be interesting to see if that’ll be accompanied by a spoiler merchandise push, or at least announcements. 

Edited by T21Typhoon

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don’t think it is. We haven’t even seen Wong’s and America Chavez’s costumes yet (right?), so it would be too soon for a reveal I think, which would happen soon if it were still a January release :classic:

Both Wong and Chavez were shown on the crew wrapping gift and a t-shirt.

16 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Both Wong and Chavez were shown on the crew wrapping gift and a t-shirt.

Huh, must’ve missed that one :classic:

While the mechs aren’t particularly exciting, the minifigs are decent. Nice to see that T’Challa gets a face print as well plus the same hairpiece from the CMF series. Iron Man is also new at least :thumbup:

And branding the Wolverine mech under “Wolverine” rather than “X-Men” is pretty hilarious. Reminds me of the Mii costumes in Smash that don’t mention the series they’re from :laugh_hard:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Just judging the figures, Black Panther is a great update, looks just like the Civil War suit, and we get another unmasked T'Challa! Iron Man's is really meh, but will still look good in the Hall of Armours...

Wolverine... So glad they brought back that mask, due to budgeting reasons I had to buy the X-Jet without figures, but could only find Cyclops and Magneto at decent prices, so I missed out on Wolverine and Storm. And it's nice to get a different costume from the other figures, but it looks really plain

Also just want to point out, on the box BP and Iron Man are under the 'Avengers' title, but Wolverine is simply under 'Wolverine'. Surely this has to mean there will be more Wolverine/X-Men sets right?

Black Panther set looks the best for me, probably because BP never had leg printing, so I wasn't expecting it. And a face with hair piece is a great addition (and claws").

Wolverine looks dissapointing without leg printing. They could have chosen the classic design and give him a blue hip piece, at least, if leg printing was not possible. Ninjago blades are cool.

Iron Man one is a mix bag. The mech and fig are cool. Nice to see more gold, but it is not a comic fig, and neither the Mk 42.  Lego should have made the Mk 42 properly or a comic design, not an invented mash up.

5 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

Also just want to point out, on the box BP and Iron Man are under the 'Avengers' title, but Wolverine is simply under 'Wolverine'. Surely this has to mean there will be more Wolverine/X-Men sets right?

To me, it kind of says the opposite. If Lego intended on making more x-men sets, then why wouldn't they brand this set under x-men? At best, the Wolverine branding implies that we could get Wolverine sets like we do spiderman, with other x-men as side characters, but I'm not sure there's enough of a market for that. For that reason, this branding makes me think this might be a one off set...

Seeing all three of these, it only confirmed my impression that I would only be interested in the Wolverine mech. I honestly liked the first iron man mech better, and the fig, while cool, doesn't really motivate me to get it. The Black Panther one is a good build, and the extra head and hair is a great inclusion, but I don't know, I just don't care for it. The Wolverine mech looks cool, and although the fig looks plain to me (even if it's accurate), I don't have any Wolverine yet, and the inclusion of the helmet is great. However, the hair piece isn't shown, so it may not be included. Either way, I'll still try to pick it up.

One final comment, notice how Black Panther also uses the Wolverine claws on the minifig... I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, it's good to see them approximate the claws, but on the other hand, I don't think those pieces really fit. Huh

Just discovered the new T'Challa face is actually from one of the Queer Eye figures. Yet again, despite having a hairpiece that can cover an alternate face, he's just stuck with the one expression

Figures: 
- Black Panther - looks great, glad they brought back the Civil War design. T'Challa head seems to be the one from the Queer Eye set. 
- Iron Man Mark 42 - I like it. It's a little more stylised than usual but it looks good 
- Wolverine - it's nice they brought back the cowl mold but overall this is a very bland and boring figure. 

The mechs themselves are all..... as bad as expected.

I’m agreeing with the above. Nothing new with these mechs, they’re pretty disappointing. All minifigures seem to be inferior to their counter parts.

The Wolverine from 6866 looks better. I can understand a cheap set not having let printing, but the hips being the same color as the legs looks really odd. At least the new one has the cowl. 

The Iron Man is definitely a Mark 42 wannabe but looks horrible with the new helmet and the red arms.

The Black Panther looks decent but I still think the older minifigs look much better (especially the Civil War Black Panther from 76047).

Edited by Moon_Knight

So... I got the Iron Man buildable figure picture to load... wow do I not like it. The head is a weird specialized piece, like that rounded shoulder armor piece used for molten man and clay face... it also looks too lanky and skinny. Maybe it looks better in person, but I'm not sure anything can fix the head.

(Tell me if you can see it from this link. If not, I'll screenshot it and try to share it. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/iron-man-figure-76206)

Nevermind, it's fixed now. Even with more pics, I still don't like it.

Edited by The_Fiery_Rooster