Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

40 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I think that the problem with her minifig is that she's not extremely recognisable? Like the other 3 we've seen so far, like them or not, are instantly recognisable and you know who they're supposed to be. Sylvie's minifig looks so generic it could as well be in a Ninjago set and you wouldnt notice other than her not being yellow.

no dual molding but would she be ninjago there'd be leg printing and some shoulder piece for sure.

I also dislike the printing to cut off like that.

- But I think it will be fairly easy to replace the legs with something that looks better
- If you'd safe some printing budget in this series you'd probably save it on this figure. Her outfit is as you said not that recognisable, some mix of black and dark grey or green.
Overall there will be a lot of extra printing and molding in this series. What I understand less though are the face prints of her and Wanda. If you do new face prints anyway - then why do 2 smiling faces for characters almost never smiling?

12 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Okay, I'll admit I was wrong, Cap Sam doesnt look as bad.

However, I dont think he needed dual molded arms, as white printing would've been enough, since its only a small part, but its alright.

Also, maybe its because I'm not used to side leg printing, but it looks so weird to see it on so much detail? Like idk it feels to bussy, but cool I guess?

I'll 100% change the hair, tho. I understand what they were going for, but it doesnt translate very well to minifig form.

ALSO, Sylvie's two faces are nearly identical lmao

Part of Sam and Spidey standing out, design wise, is due to a certain design factor. Like you mentioned, Sam has a certain detailing that is quite unique for standard minifigures. An important factor when designing or stylizing (in Lego's case) is not only choosing what to include in your design, but most importantly what to exclude.

Lego is great at following this notion. Through the years they have created their own design language, the amount of detail that's included and how a charicature should be translated from a intricate costume to a stylized minifigure in that scale.

Sam and Spidey seem out of place because the designers of these figures seem to have diverted slightly from this designing notion. Including more intricate detail than is usually expected in a minifigure, which makes it seem out of place amongst Lego's catalog. I've always been interested in finding out who designs the CMFs compared to Lego's set design for example, is it a completely different team or company?

Edited by kevkipo

5 minutes ago, kevkipo said:

Part of Sam and Spidey standing out, design wise, is due to a certain design factor. Like you mentioned, Sam has a certain detailing that is quite unique for standard minifigures. An important factor when designing or stylizing (in Lego's case) is not only choosing what to include in your design, but most importantly what to exclude.

Lego is great at following this notion. Through the years they have created their own design language, the amount of detail that's included and how a charicature should be translated from a intricate costume to a stylized minifigure in that scale.

Sam and Spidey seem out of place because the designers of these figures seem to have diverted slightly from this designing notion. Including more intricate detail than is usually expected in a minifigure, which makes it seem out of place amongst Lego's catalog. I've always been interested in finding out who designs the CMFs compared to Lego's set design for example, is it a completely different team or company?

The design language and printing details of minfigs have never been static since the 90s and were always evolving. Furthermore, there were always some figs, that were more "progressive" and more detailed than all the rest until later that sort of detail became common place. The Boba Fett figure in 2003 had detailed arm printing. Until this year almost none of the normal star wars figures had arm printing on that level, but the Star Wars summer wave has 3 regular figs with arm printing. Till 2008 some figures did not have back printing, now almost every figure does. Dual moulded legs and arms were exclusive to cmfs but are now appearing more and more in regular figs. Compare a fig with a smily yellow face and beard from the Fright Knights theme to figures now. 

Lego as a company has to advance and adapt certain production techniques, that are technically feasible, to innovate their product line. If Lego continued to only include the yellow smily face from the 80s in every set till 2021 you would have thousands of the same head, if you were collecting sets and the company would have probably gone bankrupt by now.

Do you own the Silver Centurion by any chance? Or is that also too detailed for a Lego Marvel fig? No Iron Man except this one ever got leg side printing and printed dual molded arms. It goes for a lot of money on Bricklink right now.

Unpopular opinion but I hate too much printing on mimifigs. I don't like falcon as I didn't like silver centurion. It doesn't feel like Lego to me.

"What do you mean you don't like this food? You said it was flavorless before, so I poured a jar of salt over it. You can't say it has no taste!"

I don't think that anyone has been saying that side printing shouldn't be a thing, more that there is a lot of linework and sharp edges which pull the eye to places where it probably shouldn't go and make some of the figures unappealing. Silver Centurion was a pretty good figure IMO because the color blocking is consistent (FalCap has gray and white splashed on wherever color isn't needed), it doesn't layer colors to add "texture" (Wanda's bright red lines on a dark red torso gives them more emphasis than they really need, and Spidey is just a mess IMO), and all of the detail doesn't distract from the character's center which is usually the head/face. Granted the huge Iron Man helmet might help with that, but unlike other IM figures where that usually feels oversized that is at least balanced out somewhat by the armor piece. When I look at Wanda though my eye is drawn immediately to her belt buckle. She has a lot of downward motion on her top half, the bright red coloring is brightest to the sides of the buckle and end up framing it, and then her boots point upwards. That's just...I don't know. I can see how someone who is a bigger fan of the character would appreciate LEGO going all out to render them with so much detail, but as someone who likes Wanda okay but isn't out there looking for merch of her I don't find this appealing. I'm not sure that this is all really the designers' fault as much as it's a combination of a minifigure's bizarre proportions with the MCU's complicated costume design.

For what it's worth I think Sylvie is okay. Probably she could use a little detailing on her legs just to make her worth the $5 price (if her accessory doesn't do that!) but her design is really clean. FalCap is actually growing on me a little too. Even though I still think there is a little too much detail, he looks better when half of the figure isn't being covered by a shield. 

2 minutes ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

For what it's worth I think Sylvie is okay. Probably she could use a little detailing on her legs just to make her worth the $5 price (if her accessory doesn't do that!) but her design is really clean. FalCap is actually growing on me a little too. Even though I still think there is a little too much detail, he looks better when half of the figure isn't being covered by a shield. 

Her accessory is Croki (at least 1 new specified mould), so it will definitely be worth it :wub:

Didn't realise with all these different photos of Sylvie released that it was showing a different expression. That is the worst choice in the whole Marvel theme, neither face looks anything like her! Should've been a simple smiling face, with a slightly angry alternate expression with green eyes, similar to the original Scarlet Witch/Supergirl head. This has made me extremely concerned for all the other figures now. Bet White Vision will have the same smiling expression as Zane from TLNM

3626cpb1894.png

All that printing on FalCap, and they still couldn't give us a wraparound headprint which we know they're capable of doing. Especially for a figure with short hair, that's super d'oh! :facepalm:

Personally I don't even understand what some of the details on the side of his legs are supposed to represent.

i understand why people would be annoyed with all the smiling faces, but it's very common in CMF's. Just look at most other CMF's; the majority of figures are smiling

16 minutes ago, josh_a_123 said:

i understand why people would be annoyed with all the smiling faces, but it's very common in CMF's. Just look at most other CMF's; the majority of figures are smiling

Yeah, out of place smiling expressions have been happening so much recently that I’m starting to wonder if there’s something going on behind the scenes.

Usually anytime there’s some weird creative choice that’s consistently made by Lego, it’s because there’s some weird policy the designers have to follow. I wonder if that’s the case here too.

5 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

Yeah, out of place smiling expressions have been happening so much recently that I’m starting to wonder if there’s something going on behind the scenes.

Usually anytime there’s some weird creative choice that’s consistently made by Lego, it’s because there’s some weird policy the designers have to follow. I wonder if that’s the case here too.

yeah i wonder if they're actually doing that, cos i noticed it in the last HP CMF where a lot of the characters were given a smiling face but no other alternative. 

Edited by josh_a_123

53 minutes ago, josh_a_123 said:

yeah i wonder if they're actually doing that, cos i noticed it in the last HP CMF where a lot of the characters were given a smiling face but no other alternative. 

Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Sprout, Bellatrix, and Myrtle all had alternate non smiling faces, and Griphook is a sneer and not a smile. That's half the series who weren't restricted to smiles. The other Weasleys and Luna all made enough sense to have multiple happy expressions, as did Dumbledore. Kingsley could only have one expression because of his hat, and it was just slightly bemused. Arguably only Harry's parents should've had something other than smiles, given their whole predicament.

It does seem pretty weird for characters who very have much have emotions other than being happy to only have smiles.

13 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

It does seem pretty weird for characters who very have much have emotions other than being happy to only have smiles.

Once again just want to revive the hilarious meme that Wanda's brother has died, she's been labelled a fugitive from the law, the love of her life has just died twice in front of her, and she got snapped holding his lifeless corpse. But hey Thanos and Chitauri are in jail, so happy faces all around

1 hour ago, josh_a_123 said:

Yeah, you raise an interesting point. It would make sense if a license holder wanted their characters represented in a certain way (.ie. they don’t want their heroes scowling or making angry faces), but the fact that this is Lego-wide is what’s weird. Maybe kids don’t like their characters looking angry? I’m sure there’s gotta be some focus group shenanigans going on.

also someone stop us if we’re getting too off topic

Edited by Portal Out

I think Wanda's level of detailing is perfect. Spidey has a few too many black lines for my liking and Sam Cap is overdetailed IMO. I love how elaborate the figure is in some places but that much side leg printing is total overkill and as others have pointed out, putting most of these next to a figure from a set is going to be laughable. I think Sylvie needed some hip printing but the plain legs are okay. The smiling faces are so stupid though. She really needed an alternate face with green eyes, and I don't understand why she and Wanda couldn't have had more serious smiles. They do smile occasionally, but neither of them ever look that goofy.

Is the White Vision on #legoleaks real? I'm 99% sure that it is, but I haven't seen anyone else share it yet. It looks really good :pir-love:

4 minutes ago, avengers777 said:

Is the White Vision on #legoleaks real? I'm 99% sure that it is, but I haven't seen anyone else share it yet. It looks really good :pir-love:

Was just about to ask the same question. It looks amazing

I feel like out of all the characters in the CMF, Vision is the one who would benefit more of having side printing on the head.

Also, this might me just me, but he looks more like the dead Vision from IW than the white one from WV

Edit: I'm not convinced this one is legit, something feels off about it.

Edited by PGBQW

Light grey feels like an odd choice, but I guess it's one of those situations where the original color was in between Lego's available palette. Also, it's a shame his forehead stone isn't blue.

Edited by GalacticHippo

Just now, PhoenixBuilder said:

Apologies if I'm just forgetting, but are there supposed to be accessories with Vision and Monica in the CMF?

I remember talking to Promobricks they personally told me there’s gonna be accesories for WandaVision figs but when I asked what are those, they didn’t gave me an answer.

I feel like it's real as it matches the description.

I understand the colour being limited but I feel like the contrasting colour makes it look weird because in the actual show his colour is consistent, though looking at different lightings it does look different. He also looks a bit bare (but there will be a white cape included)

LEGO-71031-06.jpeg

CE4jxptyLr53fGhrVNKy5b-1200-80.jpeg

That Vision looks great. The colorless stone kinda makes him look like his corpse from IW but thank god he isn't smiling :tongue: