Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

2 minutes ago, Legocity2713 said:

Yeah some guy a bunch of pages back said he wanted some "cleavage" printed on the figure like in the comics when I'm pretty sure he just meant he wanted some skin/neck to show like they do for Black Widow figures because its the more iconic look that is in probably 95% of Black Cat art and media. This whole thread threw a fit about it because he misused the word/didn't explain his thoughts all that eloquently or effectively. I'm fairly certain that no ones being creepy about Lego figures of all things.

I completely understand what you mean, there's just nothing that differentiates her too much from the many purist customs I've seen using the latest Catwoman torso. Still a great figure though.

I have similar thoughts on the Daredevil fig. He's everything I've always wanted and more but something still feels sliiiigghtly off. As if the face printing is too small for the size of the head. It mostly feels this way around his eyes in certain angles. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I do agree with your comments on Daredevil. He's wonderful, but something is just ever so slightly... Off. I think for my it's the smile, it just looks odd. But I think once I have the figure in my hand I may have a different opinion. Seems lately Lego habt always done the very best at capturing the best angles for their sets (Darth Vader's helmet comes to mind). Just gotta see for myself.

Found some interesting details in Daily Bugle designer AMA. When asked about why so few figures get leg print, Mark said it's not financial issue, but rather space issue. 

"The limiting factor, isn't pure finance, it's is the same one you have at home. Space. After a while you run out of places to put your LEGO.

Think of each factory having a limited amount of space (I won't go into why it's limited, read 'Brick by Brick' by David C. Robertson if you want to know what happens when LEGO didn't have limits).

Every brick made, in each colour has to go into it's own box. This box needs to be stored until it's ready to be packed into the bags in the retail boxes you buy.

So there are thousands of boxes. Each year some bricks stop being made and this leaves empty boxes we can fill with new bricks (or new colours of bricks at least). So each team of Designers is given a number of boxes it has the chance to fill.

So let's say you want some new minifigure legs. First you mold the hips, and fill a box, then a left leg - fill a box, a right leg - fill a box. Then you stick all those parts together and fill another box in the factory. Then if we print the legs it's yet another box.

But consider, if we don't print the legs then, after four non-printed legs we have saved four boxes and this means we could make a whole extra set of legs. This might mean we have a whole new character we can make."

Definitely interesting development in regards to leg prints.

45 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

But consider, if we don't print the legs then, after four non-printed legs we have saved four boxes and this means we could make a whole extra set of legs. This might mean we have a whole new character we can make."

Wow. That’s fascinating insight. The lack of leg printing in Marvel & DC is frustrating. But that’s a legitimately good reason if it’s sacrificed for whole other figures.

2 hours ago, Legocity2713 said:

I have similar thoughts on the Daredevil fig. He's everything I've always wanted and more but something still feels sliiiigghtly off. As if the face printing is too small for the size of the head. It mostly feels this way around his eyes in certain angles. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

To me, Blade is the one with the small looking face. Maybe he'll look better with hair?

On 5/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, ApocSlay said:

July for New Zealand. Toyworld has it on their order form as then. Was going to be available last month, but was pulled when the movie was rescheduled. 

Thanks! will just have to wait.

So, i had some time to let it all sink in. I love the Bugle. It has definitely its flaws (too wide daily bugle logo, red stair cases), but i do love its resemblance with the ohotmu Bugle. When i get it, i’ll probably try to make that office for Peter (a bit weird that he has his own office) into a dark room (although photos are almost always digital now instead of film). I just like that idea better. Or maybe a secret office for Jonah to control some Spider-Slayers that i then have to make. Maybe i’ll try to replace the red stairs as well, but they might look nice in real life, so that’s a maybe. 

If i buy this great building it will be for the building and not the figs. I understand there are people blown away by them. The quantity and all. I just think the majority is not needed or poorly executed. Robbie and Gwen are such a letdowns. They look nothing like their comic presentations. Ben Urich just the same. They could at least have tried to look for better fitting rehashed minifig parts. But i have moaned enough about the fig selection; most of them just will end up in the parts bin. 

How do you guys are going to present it? Just the Bugle alone, or in a city lay-out? Next to other modulars (which look pretty good i must say)? And how are you going to integrate the bridge battle in it?

9 minutes ago, Borex said:

How do you guys are going to present it? Just the Bugle alone, or in a city lay-out? Next to other modulars (which look pretty good i must say)? And how are you going to integrate the bridge battle in it?

I don't have any other proper modulars, but I'll probably display the Sanctum Santorum Showdown next to it.  I'll have to see if I can find a good way to fit the Bridge Battle in there as well.

Taking into account the fact that the Bugle has 25 minifigures, split between 8 heroes, 7 villains, and 10 civilians, what kind of numbers and ratios would you like to see in a potential Oscorp Tower or Fisk Tower D2C?  Personally, I don't think they need to have as many minifigures if so many of them are either going to be repeats or only use preexisting prints.  It works well enough for the Bugle, but I could see a second D2C lowering the minifigure total down to somewhere between 14-18, perhaps with a less elaborate build to put a set at a somewhat lower pricepoint, considering Oscorp Tower and Fisk Tower aren't as iconic as the Bugle.  

5 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

Spider-Man sets have peaked with this Daily Bugle. Literally any other set that comes out after this will seem "mid" to me. The only thing that can top this bugle is a D2C Oscorp.

Or a Spider-lair with all the Spidey vehicles in one set

Just kidding of course. There are so many D2C options - Oscorp, Baxter Building, Avenger's Mansion, Avenger's compound, Stark Tower, Sanctum Sanctorum, X-Men mansion, Triskellion, The Raft...

There could also be an apartment style building with Alias Investigations and Nelson & Murdock law firm on the ground floor.

Saw that the price of the Bugle is $30AUD and $50NZD cheaper than similar sets when compared to USD. With 25 minifigs that makes this set better bang-for-buck than we normally get. I'll be staying up until midnight next week Wednesday to get my hand on this masterpiece 

3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Definitely interesting development in regards to leg prints.

Definitely glad that this came up. Personally, never have minded when we don't have leg and arm or arm printing. As long as the torso, head and molds have been accurate I could easily be enticed by new figs. Also explains why we have so many repeats of Batman and Spider-man, I even mind those less knowing this now. 

This is a day one purchase for me. 

My only criticisms are that the Daredevil torso looks a little overdesigned (should be simpler and more sleek) and Blade could use some hair (Zane in black)

Outside of that it's quite an achievement, reuse where it made sense to allow for all the new.

29 minutes ago, ApocSlay said:

There could also be an apartment style building with Alias Investigations and Nelson & Murdock law firm on the ground floor.

Now that could be an interesting set that would be a great way to get a bunch of Defenders related characters. I could see an ideal lineup for that set consisting of:

Heroes: Spider-Man, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing

Villains: Kingpin, Bullseye, The Spot, Stilt-Man, Elektra, 2 Hand Ninjas (As much as I would like to see someone like Purple Man or Typhoid Mary get a minifigure, I'm not sure that LEGO would go that route, even for a 18+ set)

Civilians: Matt Murdock, Foggy Nelson, Karen Page, Malcolm Powder

I'd be very quick to buy a set with that kind of lineup.

All the other sets are nowhere to be seen but the Infinity Gauntlet is now up on S@H, you can order it right now (doesn't seem to be a preorder).

7 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

All the other sets are nowhere to be seen but the Infinity Gauntlet is now up on S@H, you can order it right now (doesn't seem to be a preorder).

I hope that they reveal all of them today, it's high time (not that it wasn't for past few weeks).

I just want my local shops to start selling them so I can get a huge discount. 

Also, I wonder if New Asgard and Sanctuary II are June sets, not knowing this is kinda driving me crazy.

Love the Bugle set. Definitely a buy down the track! With this and Avenger sets, a hard budget is going to need to be set! 

That means tuna and rice for the next month! Lol.

But in all seriousness, the height, the colour, the figs, and able to be connect with other Modular, is great!

Great year for Marvel sets, and more coming! 

Wow, so many civilians! Gwen is the only truly dissapointing, because she has an iconic look (but I guess they imply that's the Ghost-spider alter ego, not the original one). Robbie Robertson would be better with his hairpiece in gray.

Fun fact: Bernie the cab driver is a character from Incredible Hulk #221 (they even got the right kind of hat piece). Now that's obscure!

bernie_cab_driver.jpg

Well that's odd, the Gauntlet has now been removed. 

I have a feeling they'll be revealed today and this set was just put on the webshop too early.

3 hours ago, ApocSlay said:

Dont forget Josie's Bar and Fogwell's Gym for smaller building that could make up one Modular or added on as an extra to another.

Main issue I have with a potential series of Marvel Modulars is that I find so funny and bizarre to think every single iconic Marvel building is next to each other in the same street

7 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

Dont forget Josie's Bar and Fogwell's Gym for smaller building that could make up one Modular or added on as an extra to another.

I'd love a set like that, however I don't think I'd be ionic enough for casual fans to be interested. If they went the apartment route, I'd have to see it being Peter Parker's. Maybe they could do what they did with the Sanctum and have other  uildinfs included. I'd be okay with that.

Just now, PGBQW said:

Main issue I have with a potential series of Marvel Modulars is that I find so funny and bizarre to think every single iconic Marvel building is next to each other in the same street

To that end, I was thinking about the same. I might get some modular down the road, just to give some space in between larger buildings, if this is the future direction.

4 hours ago, Borex said:

I don't have any proper modulars so I'll fit it onto my shelf that so far just has bridge battle and the infinity war Sanctum Sanctorum. Right now that set is in a corner to hide that it's just a facade tho so it'll be a hassle finding out how to fit the Bugle in while keeping the Sanctum from looking flat by comparison.

I wonder if part of the rationale behind creating this set is to encourage Marvel display builders to buy Modular sets. And then those people will want to populate the displays with appropriate figs, so they buy other licensed themes for fig parts. This is how you turn a Marvel fan buying Lego into an AFOL.

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I have a feeling they'll be revealed today and this set was just put on the webshop too early

I think it'll be tomorrow because, as you possibly remember, Promobricks said that reveal will be on 11th May but then they said it was just mistake by one of the employees or something like that and it was actually 19th

Just now, Legofania said:

I think it'll be tomorrow because, as you possibly remember, Promobricks said that reveal will be on 11th May but then they said it was just mistake by one of the employees or something like that and it was actually 19th

Yeah news from that day was that DB was 18th, while TIS sets on 19th.

Since DB was revealed on 17th, some of us assumed that they'd reveal TIS sets today.

So one of the reasons kingpin wasn’t included in the final design was because the designer thought of him as a Daredevil villain and the set was all about spidey