Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

6 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Or Yuri, who would also tie to the PS4 game. :sweet:

She too probably wouldn't need any new prints. We've learned from Shang Chi that any Asian oriented character can use any generic head

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Is Makkari in one of these Eternals sets, right? She is the first deaf superhero in MCU!

Yeah its going to be awesome

I have a speculative theory:

Mark Stafford mentioned he'd like to make "Echo from Daredevil" in a future set. With every other character, he just said their name. Since Echo is showing up in the Hawkeye Disney+ series, could Mark's "from Daredevil" specification imply a set based on Hawkeye?

In response to a question of whether he thinks there are any Spider-Man villains without minifigures that children would recognize, Mark commented:

Quite a few, but many require new parts so it may take a while to get to them. But I'm sure we will.

When May26th is mentioned as the VIP release date, does that mean it will be in stores for VIPs on May 26th, or just online?

Looking at the Marvel Legends Surtur, brick-built Surtur for next year's Infinity Saga sets pleaseeeeee

2 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I really hope so, can't wait to see Korg and Miek! 

I'm extremely curious about how the $30 Sanctuary II set will look, maybe I'll see it and think it's a super cool build.

Edited by hvader

I like the Bugle set but what disappoints me is as a modular building there should be at least stairs inside or a real working elevator instead of a false one. I would of been ok without these if the back was opened but the way it is now is really bugging me.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

I have a speculative theory:

Mark Stafford mentioned he'd like to make "Echo from Daredevil" in a future set. With every other character, he just said their name. Since Echo is showing up in the Hawkeye Disney+ series, could Mark's "from Daredevil" specification imply a set based on Hawkeye?

Nope. I had no idea Echo is going to be in the MCU, really? That's awesome news. If I'd known I would never have mentioned the character. I don't want to start rumours! I was mentioning what I thought were obscure characters.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words BTW, and the constructive criticism too, I'm taking it all in.

Edited by Nabii

10 minutes ago, Nabii said:

Nope. I had no idea Echo is going to be in the MCU, really? That's awesome news. If I'd known I would never have mentioned the character. I don't want to start rumours! I was mentioning what I thought were obscure characters.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words BTW, and the constructive criticism too, I'm taking it all in.

And thank you for taking the time to answer all our curious questions!

If this set sells well, theres a pretty good chance we'll get Oscorp or something and that will have new characters, As annoying as it is, they can't put every figure that needs to be made in one set, they have to spread them out and release them over the years.

Also it seems most of the figures in this were supposed to be new and got put in other sets

Edited by 2lazeetomakeaname

21 minutes ago, Nabii said:

Thank you for letting us have a back and fourth with you! I really like that we get to communicate with the designer to answer some of our burning questions about the set and the theme as a whole. Very cool to know you're taking in feedback here and on Reddit, I love the detail and passion you put into all the detail of this set! Excited to see what you get up to next!

Edited by Brick Cucumber

2 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

You can though, Mark Stafford mentioned that he made sure to include all pieces necessary to fix the window in the explosion build. 

Good to know!

2 hours ago, Borex said:

Robbie is the good cop and JJJ is the bad cop of the bugle. Ben Urich is a reporter that is heavily involved in writing about Kingpin and organised crime and mixed up with Daredevil. Ron Berney, i don’t have any clue who he is. Don’t remember him at all

I literally cannot find this man on google. I think he's there as just a generic employee, in which case i'd have preferred ned, but it's such a minor thing. Actually, all my gripes with this set are tiny.

I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS SET. I'd stopped buying lego marvel for over a year, but between this and the new compound, it seems I'll be working some extra hours this summer! 

Pros (of which there are many):

The build. God, the build is amazing. For the most part, it's an actual building, not a facade, with all four walls included. It looks like a MOC, and aside from that goblin-smashed window (which apparently can be rebuilt using just the debris parts!), it looks like just a building, which is great.

It's not trying to be a kids set. The only "play" features are either for display (goblin glider explosion, clear parts for arranging characters) or the wall explosion made so you can look into the ground floor without removing the roof.

The figures are also amazing. Twenty-five figures, including amazing new ones like Daredevil, Punisher, Blade, etc, as well as excellent civilians to staff the building.

Cons (Minor nitpicks for the most part, and all about the figures rather than the build.):

There isn't really a full sinister six. Sure you've got the main four of doc ock, goblin, sandman, and mysterio, but the remaining three possible villains in the set don't work. You could maybe do venom, as while he's more of a hero nowadays he was in the sinister six sometimes, but even then you've only got five and black cat and carnage really do not fit into the sinister 6 at all.

Speaking of black cat, there are a few figures that while great as an idea, weren't executed perfectly. Cat herself has some, uh, torso alterations, that while understandable for a kids toy don't work when it's an 18+ set and we've had more revealing figure costumes in other sets. Likewise, Blade really needed some hair, and Gwen's civilian outfit doesn't work.

Finally, speaking of Gwen, Spider-Gwen and Miles shouldn't have been in this set. This is clearly a homage to the raimi films and the classic comics, and cartoons, not the relatively more recent ones. (Is ghost spider even in 616?). Personally I think the figures would have been so much better if you replaced Miles and Spider-Gwen with Electro and Iceman (C'mon, you can't have only one of spidey's amazing friends!).

But overall I've only really got the one actual gripe, the figure selection having a couple questionable choices in an overall stellar lineup, so I can't really complain. This is by far the best marvel set ever, and I hope it sells well so we can possibly see the Avengers Tower, Sanctum Sanctorum, Latvian Embassy, Oscorp, etc as sets in this style.

12 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Speaking of black cat, there are a few figures that while great as an idea, weren't executed perfectly. Cat herself has some, uh, torso alterations, that while understandable for a kids toy don't work when it's an 18+ set and we've had more revealing figure costumes in other sets.

Oh my god, here we go again

What I think is most interesting about this set is how it trades base area for height, just like real skyscrapers.  NYC building codes effectively set a maximum amount of floor area that can be built on a lot, so developers will often build taller buildings with smaller footprints in order to get light into the building, leave room for a courtyard and entrance plaza at the base, and look more impressive.  This is the first official set that compares to an AFOL skyscraper, and it occupies only a small portion of the 32x32 baseplate, unlike a Modular like the Police Station or the Town Hall.  The Daily Bugle has no more floor area than either of those, but it lofts it up high.  The use of the rails to stiffen the walls is also a good example of Lego building that mimics real construction techniques.  These rails aren't a frame that supports a curtain wall, as with real skyscrapers, but they still serve a structural purpose that allows greater height.  Without their support, those transparent paneled walls would be very fragile.  Without vertical supports like that, Lego buildings in sets top out at two or three squat stories of smallish bricks with lots of horizontal crosslinking, as in the Police Station.

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

Oh my god, here we go again

I've never commented on the figure before, why are you singling this out of my thoughts on the set? I'm allowed to say that I'd prefer a more comics accurate Cat, and I stated over and over that the minor gripes I had about the set were just nitpicks and it was overwhelmingly a spectacular set. I'm not being rude, vulgar, or bringing it up every 5 seconds. I really don't see how my comment warranted a response like this.

2 hours ago, 2lazeetomakeaname said:

Also it seems most of the figures in this were supposed to be new and got put in other sets

That's interesting, I suppose sets like this do take much longer to develop.

Honestly don’t get all the complaining about the bugle. Its pretty comic accurate and has a ton of great looking figures and tons of easter eggs. I feel like my biggest gripe with it is that I just bought a spiderham like a month ago.

Would I have less rehashed characters? Of course but reading some of the AMA it seems like the designers are limited by both Marvel and LEGO but he sounds like a real Marvel fan which gives me hope for future products.

Do we think there will be a GWP with this set? Trying to decide if I should get it day 1 or wait for a good promotion. They usually leak earlier right?

Fun fact: Firestar is the first non-SDCC mutant minifig we’ve had since the mighty micros in 2017!

44 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I've never commented on the figure before, why are you singling this out of my thoughts on the set? I'm allowed to say that I'd prefer a more comics accurate Cat, and I stated over and over that the minor gripes I had about the set were just nitpicks and it was overwhelmingly a spectacular set. I'm not being rude, vulgar, or bringing it up every 5 seconds. I really don't see how my comment warranted a response like this.

That's interesting, I suppose sets like this do take much longer to develop.

Go back like 50 pages to when Black Cat leaked. Several people already commented similarly. 

22 minutes ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

Do we think there will be a GWP with this set? Trying to decide if I should get it day 1 or wait for a good promotion. They usually leak earlier right?

Fun fact: Firestar is the first non-SDCC mutant minifig we’ve had since the mighty micros in 2017!

What would a GWP for this set even be if it got one? Maybe a microbuild of the full set similar to how the UCS Batmobile came with a minifig scale Bamobile? 

Also let's hope Firestar is the first of many mutants we see these next few years. Maybe even D2C X-mansion if we promise to all be very good :head_back:

Edited by Childish Goblino

Spider-Man sets have peaked with this Daily Bugle. Literally any other set that comes out after this will seem "mid" to me. The only thing that can top this bugle is a D2C Oscorp.

4 hours ago, marksable said:

When May26th is mentioned as the VIP release date, does that mean it will be in stores for VIPs on May 26th, or just online?

I’m curious about this, too. I’m assuming only online?

49 minutes ago, Childish Goblino said:

Also let's hope Firestar is the first of many mutants we see these next few years. Maybe even D2C X-mansion if we promise to all be very good :head_back:

I hope so. Iceman has absolutely jumped to the top of my most wanted mutants with this set and Jean Grey just needs to happen with Firestar's hairpiece.

15 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

I’m curious about this, too. I’m assuming only online?

Don't most sets releases in stores and online simultaneously, even with VIP easily access? Can't say for certain, however, as I've never gone to get a set on VIP early release. Although I hope they release in stores, if they do I plan to go to my Lego store EARLY and stake a place in line. Can't get my hands on the Bugle soon enough. :pir-wub:

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-marvel-76178-daily-bugle/

Stonewars has a photoshop of the Daily Bugle alongside the other modular buildings. It towers over the Police Station and Assembly Square but looks absolutely phenomenal alongside them and makes a great centerpiece for any modular collection. With more superhero buildings like this you could create a pretty epic skyline.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah some guy a bunch of pages back said he wanted some "cleavage" printed on the figure like in the comics when I'm pretty sure he just meant he wanted some skin/neck to show like they do for Black Widow figures because its the more iconic look that is in probably 95% of Black Cat art and media. This whole thread threw a fit about it because he misused the word/didn't explain his thoughts all that eloquently or effectively. I'm fairly certain that no ones being creepy about Lego figures of all things.

I completely understand what you mean, there's just nothing that differentiates her too much from the many purist customs I've seen using the latest Catwoman torso. Still a great figure though.

I have similar thoughts on the Daredevil fig. He's everything I've always wanted and more but something still feels sliiiigghtly off. As if the face printing is too small for the size of the head. It mostly feels this way around his eyes in certain angles. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?