Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Okay, so my thoughts on the bugle. I honestly hate the smashed window, and the fact I can't reassemble it. That's why I didn't buy the bridge battle. I hate the battle damage crap. Then I don't like the figures. Like, we have all these reused figures and it sucks, but at least I didn't buy those sets they originally came in. Don't get me wrong, these are some good figures, but they already came in sets where they are the main appeal. Like I would have much preferred new figs over the reused ones. Or better yet, we could have updated them. They've had the same base Spidey for the past 3 years and he's been updated each year and it's amazing. But then there's the crappy civilians and employees that are a kitbash of a bunch of different figures. It's terrible. But God. I love this set. I love it so much. The pros out way the cons. During my time on this forum, I have mentioned several times about Ninjago City Gardens and I hope The Daily Bugle is on par and stuff. I just ordered the Gardens a few days ago and I cancelled my order. I'm so happy. This thing is going to take the place of my wife in my bed. If I had one that is. Anyway I'm gonna go donate some organs so I can buy this. Not mine of course though.

The building looks kind of plain IMO. The minifigures are pretty darned good, though even as a Spider-man fan (comics, movies, tv) I don't remember who some of those characters are (Ben Urich, Robbie, Ron, Bernie). And a lot of the charactrers are already in another set. I'll probably bricklink a few of them (Punisher and Daredevil) and ignore the set itself.

8 minutes ago, RaichuKing263 said:

I honestly hate the smashed window, and the fact I can't reassemble it. 

You can though, Mark Stafford mentioned that he made sure to include all pieces necessary to fix the window in the explosion build. 

1 minute ago, BrickG said:

The building looks kind of plain IMO. The minifigures are pretty darned good, though even as a Spider-man fan (comics, movies, tv) I don't remember who some of those characters are (Ben Urich, Robbie, Ron, Bernie). And a lot of the charactrers are already in another set. I'll probably bricklink a few of them (Punisher and Daredevil) and ignore the set itself.

Robbie is the good cop and JJJ is the bad cop of the bugle. Ben Urich is a reporter that is heavily involved in writing about Kingpin and organised crime and mixed up with Daredevil. Ron Berney, i don’t have any clue who he is. Don’t remember him at all

Uhhh, so anyone know where I can get various pieces in the set for a price that doesn't bankrupt me, since bricks and pieces is definitely not going to include all of them? 

Well after primarily collecting and building Star Wars for myself, and Harry Potter with my girls, consider this my first big Marvel purchase!

35 minutes ago, RaichuKing263 said:

Okay, so my thoughts on the bugle. I honestly hate the smashed window, and the fact I can't reassemble it.

You can reassemble it, tho

I think one of the coolest aspects of the design, is if you got the extra pieces to build an unsmashed window, the build allows for you to switch them out really easily. I'll probably look into getting the extra pieces myself so I can switch them out on the fly.

So, the infinity saga photos should be revealed tomorrow or Wednesday. Do we think the other sets will be revealed?

I honestly don't get all the complaining about the reused figures. We're getting 25 figures in a $300 licensed building with 3800 pieces that's nearly 3 feet tall and modular compatible. I never expected a set like this to be made, and I definitely wasn't expecting any more than 10-15 figures. 10 of the 25 are reused but we have a good number of exclusive characters and a great number of civilians/employees. The reused figures are just great extra additions to me, and it's not like there are any other recent Spider-Man minifigures that I would've liked to see reused here instead, except maybe Spider-Man Noir. As for new minifigures, I would've loved a civilian Miles to accompany the other two and a new comic-based MJ, but I don't think the set suffers from their absence. Compare this to a set like Diagon Alley and I definitely think the Daily Bugle has a better minifigure selection. I would've loved some more civilians in a set like that even if they didn't use any new prints.

4 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

So, the infinity saga photos should be revealed tomorrow or Wednesday. Do we think the other sets will be revealed?

I really hope so, can't wait to see Korg and Miek! 

3 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I really hope so, can't wait to see Korg and Miek! 

Is Makkari in one of these Eternals sets, right? She is the first deaf superhero in MCU!

I'm so pumped for the Daredevil minifigure. I know it's kind of funny saying this considering my name and profile pic but Daredevil's always been my fav Marvel character. I've been waiting such a long time to get some sort of representation of Daredevil in Lego form and it's finally happening! Now I just gotta make sure I can order it quick.

I really like what they’ve done here. Good to see they’ve designed different editions of the Daily Bugle paper rather than including the same copy several times like they did with Diagon Alley. I also think the set is contextualised very well. Even if you’d never heard of the building or what it is the Taxi, the water tower, the height of the set- it’s unmistakably New York.

When you zoom out and look down at the set, the juxtaposition of grey and bright color creates that "enormous 1980s toy" aesthetic (despite being almost four decades later and made with modern engineering standards), like the USS Flagg or Fortress Maximus.    In the 2060s, will people make nostalgia videos about this?

Edited by CopperTablet

Alright, it was worth getting all those stupid vehicles over the years in almost every Spider-Man set if THIS was going to be a reality one day. I didn't think anything was going to ever top the Bridge Battle set and a D2C Daily Bugle would be a set that only existed in dreams, yet here it is. As someone who's a massive fan of the comics Spidey instead of whatever the MCU has turned him into (that's another story), getting the Bugle that looks THIS GOOD and is jam packed with so many little easter eggs all wrapped up in one set that's a giant love letter to the comics (Spider-Mobile!!!!), as well as the Raimi movies with some of those newspaper prints and even the 60s cartoon, I'm just speechless that this ended up happening instead of Lego usually putting all their attention to the MCU sets while leaving the comic based sets out to dry. Prints of Electro, Kingpin, Rhino, even Norman Osborn, Curt Connors and Miles Warren as stickers gives me hope that Lego knows we need them as minifigures eventually, especially Electro to finally complete the OG Sinister Six lineup. 

As for the minifigures themselves, now I'm really glad I haven't bought any of the recent Spider-Man sets from 2018 onwards. I don't have any of the new versions of these figures, however when it comes to Carnage I'll stick with the 2015 version instead of this one, it just looks a lot better. The random civilians are an interesting choice as well, even I don't know a few of them. But boy is it great to finally get some new Bugle staff besides Jameson for once with Robbie, Betty, and Ben as minifigures. Not a fan of the face they used for Robbie, he's never had a mustache so it looks like that's going to have to be swapped out, maybe for Rhodey's face from the Iron Man 3 sets or Cyborg's. Jameson himself being an updated version from the Spider-Man 2 sets is absolutely perfect, but I'll be switching the hair back to what that figure had, one of his nicknames is "Ol' Flat-Top" for a reason.

But the stars of the set have to be the new allies. DAREDEVIL, one of the figures that people have been begging for to appear in a set since the theme started, is here at last. He looks practically perfect, I kind of wish that he had a more neutral facial expression though, now he's going to be stuck perpetually smiling at everything. Blade is also a welcome surprise, I thought he'd only show up whenever his MCU movie would come out. Black Cat is also a Spider-Man ally that's been LONG overdue, so better late than never. Punisher first appeared in the Amazing Spider-Man comics, so him debuting here for his first minifigure appearance is almost poetic. Firestar is one figure I thought I'd never see, it's funny that she was put in the set as a replacement for the Human Torch because that was the exact same reason why she was created in the first place for the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon since the Torch was off-limits. And as a bonus, she's a mutant so this is going to be the first proper X-Men minifigure we've gotten in 7 years since the Blackbird vs Sentinel set from 2014. Miles, Gwen, and Spider-Ham never really interested me, so they're whatever.

All in all, instant Day 1 purchase for me, even if it's going to cost me $400 Canadian. A set like this deserves my money instead of another nonsense vehicle like the Spider-Monster Truck or giving Spider-Man his own Batcave as opposed to his most iconic building.

Edited by TheBatstan

2 minutes ago, CopperTablet said:

When you zoom out and look down at the set, the juxtaposition of grey and bright color creates that "enormous 1980s toy" aesthetic (despite being almost four decades later and made with modern engineering standards).   I like it.    In the 2060s, will people make nostalgia videos about this?

In 2025 people will be calling this set their White Whale

17 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

In 2025 people will be calling this set their White Whale

For sure, this set will be one that will appreciate in value once it retires. From the stickers to the prints to the iconicity of the building itself, people will love it. :wub:

The newspaper prints may show up again and Blade will certainly reappear in his movie set. Daredevil may also appear in another comic set one day I feel, but Punisher, Firestar, Black Cat, and a lot of the Bugle crew are unlikely I feel.

Just had a little thought about one of the characters we all wanted...

Mysterio had never appeared in a set until he appeared in Far From Home, which was swiftly followed by his comic counterpart. And we all know that in some capacity Electro will be in No Way Home, and will likely be in the sets. So maybe after the film, when Electro's popularity is boosted, we'll see him pop up in some comic book sets

I am gonna be honest, I don't think any lego marvel set will ever be as good as this bugle set. Like call me a biased Spider-Man fanboy (which I am) but this set is so damn good and it truly is the peak of any lego marvel set. I love the blatant Ps4 references (such as the webbed up backpack and the "Just the Facts" advertisement sticker. Plus we have most of the characters from into the spider verse minus Peni and Noir. That DareDevil minifig is perfect. Ahhh I am so happy. 

In the ongoing Reddit AMA linked upthread, Mark Stafford commented:

For an adult aimed set such as [the Daily Bugle] we can go obscure (Firestar) and we can go adult (Blade) but for standard retail sets we prefer it if an 8 year old can quickly identify who they are looking at and know what they do, their powers etc.

So LEGO may not have had faith children would recognize Mysterio before his Far From Home appearance.

Stafford also commented on the signage, saying that for most of the design process it was actually yellow and it changing to red was a very last-minute decision by Marvel. 

Not gonna lie, seeing Bigfig!Rhino and Classic!Electro in newspaper prints but no actual figures is starting to piss me off... :hmpf_bad:

Quick thoughts, I like the set itself, lots of cool details and seems quite sizeable. As far as figures go: Best Spidey is Best Spidey, Punisher, Daredevil, Black Cat, Firestar, and the core Buglers (JJJ, Betty, Robbie, Peter, & Ben) are *chef's kiss*. Not a Blade fan, but he's pretty cool too. I love Mysterio, so seeing him again isn't too bad to me, Doc Ock, Goblin and Venom are boring repeats (and in the former two's case, awful variants), but they make sense (Spidey's three arch-nemesis in a Bugle Set for different story ideas). Terrible Sandman figure (what happened to the absolute unit we got in 2019?), and yet another Carnage (yawn).

I get it, Spiderverse was really popular, but seriously: enough with the Spider-Gwens and Miles Moraleses. And Spider-Hams. I've got nothing against them in general, but the Spiderverse is starting to wear on me. Besides, we get them over say, Iceman (to compliment Firestar)? Hell, Prowler is a character somewhat overdue, and would still pay homage to the Spiderverse craze.

Cab Driver is your standard "throwaway civilian", Amber Grant (who?) is the same. Aunt May and Gwen are alright, but ultimately just thrown in.

Glad to have: Spidey, DD, Blade, Punisher, Firestar, Black Cat, JJJ, Betty, Robbie, Ben, Peter, Mysterio

Boring, but understandable: Doc Ock, Goblin, Venom, Aunt May, Gwen Stacy.

Meh: Cabbie, Amber, Ron.

Getting tired of: Carnage, Ghost-Spider, Miles, Spider-Ham

Would've rather had: Better Sandman (what've they done to my boy?), Classic Rhino, Shocker, & Electro, Iceman, any other street-level hero, hell, I'd take Silk or classic Spider-Woman over another Miles/Gwen/Porker.

Also, Eddie Brock & MJ would've been nice.

Will I get it, though? Most likely, yes. The Bugle itself is very nice. And there are some true gems among the figure selection. But Lego's figure choices continue to be missed opportunities almost every time.

2 minutes ago, Sir Gareth said:

In the ongoing Reddit AMA linked upthread, Mark Stafford commented:

So LEGO may not have had faith children would recognize Mysterio before his Far From Home appearance.

Really hoping that means I'm right then. The first Electro (despite being based on Ultimate Spider Man) was also released the year of TASM2 and Rhino came out the year after. 

With this information I'm surprised Carnage is a go to, he hasn't appeared in film (as of the time of this message), not is he prominent in any current Spider Man cartoons. This could also explain Shocker, WE all know who Shocker is, but kids probably wouldn't correlate that he was the guy in Homecoming, whereas Vulture was more recognisable

After some time of reflection, I wish they had included Jean DeWolff in the set. With all the City police sets released she wouldn't need any new prints, and is a classic Spidey character. Her inclusion could have given us some Sin Eater Easter eggs too

10 minutes ago, Sir Gareth said:

I'd argue that heroes receive this treatment moreso than villains. Spider-Man will always sell, regardless of who he fights. Who he fights with, on the other hand, is a different story.

If you count that as a valid reason not to make a character (fan-demanded or otherwise)

2 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

After some time of reflection, I wish they had included Jean DeWolff in the set. With all the City police sets released she wouldn't need any new prints, and is a classic Spidey character. Her inclusion could have given us some Sin Eater Easter eggs too

Or Yuri, who would also tie to the PS4 game. :sweet: