Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

27 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Just for fun, do you think they'll reuse Doctor Strange's minifigure or we'll get a new one?

Hmmm, the IW Strange figure has been out of print for a couple years so I’m not sure if Lego would reuse that one. I suppose it also depends on if Strange has a new costume in this movie. I’m 50/50 on it tbh.

Come to think of it, another reason why Strange is a likely inclusion is so that Lego can have most/all of the major MCU heroes available this year: between these sets, the Infinity Saga wave and CMF series.

Edited by The Stud

51 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

If having MJ portayed as a journalist in a Lego playset is such an umbearable concept, I don't know how he doesn't have a seizure every time Lego makes a Spider-copter.

I mean by his own admission she’s been depicted as a journalist in some capacity. Maybe not her mainstream appearances but its dishonest to say its completely inaccurate to depict her as a journalist. Also I swore she was a journalist in the 90s Cartoon as well? Been a while since I saw that.

30 minutes ago, Surge said:

I'd love to see Gwen in the Bugle

Gwen and MJ are definitely my two most wanted figures for the set. We haven’t had MJ since 2014 and we’ve never had a civilian Gwen. Still holding out hope for at least one of them 🤞🏼

27 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I mean by his own admission she’s been depicted as a journalist in some capacity. Maybe not her mainstream appearances but its dishonest to say its completely inaccurate to depict her as a journalist. Also I swore she was a journalist in the 90s Cartoon as well? Been a while since I saw that.

I think that’s right but I can’t find any reference to her job in that show online lol. She definitely dabbles in journalism in the Ultimate universe though. It’s not unheard of or something to be upset about for sure.

On 4/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, TobyAis said:

I think you're just asking for too much, arm printing is really really rare and they're mostly from CMF/UCS minifigs.. mostly, Iron Man and Cap don't need arm printing, you would like them to have it but they don't need it..
Cap does need dual-molded leg tho and most of them do need leg printing..
In the end it's a bit lazy but the next wave seems to be miles better than what they previously did, so I'm glad with what we have and will got, could be improved but it's far from lame.
Marvel is still not as popular as DC/Star Wars, maybe it's because they don't put enough effort into it, but they seem to be putting the same amount of effort into 90% of DC sets so idk.. maybe with the Infinity Saga subtheme people will start buying more Marvel sets and the theme will rise all the way to the top with Star Wars.

What I'm saying is that they could improve but it seems like one of the best and more promising wave for Marvel.

Is it really too much? I do wish for what I ask for. I wish arm printing was normalized and used far more often. I wish characters that required said detail got it. As for cap, the design this figure is based off of (his endgame look) had kneepads, straddle on his hip, red fabric on his legs, arm detail and patches, and his hip piece should have had printing on it instead of going on his lower torso. Captain America is absolutely a figure that needed leg and arm printing (never said he needed dual molded legs though). Do us both a favor and go google his endgame design, you’re obviously forgetting he did not have solid blue arms and legs. You are okay with low attention to detail but if the bootleggers can print tons of detail I really don’t see how lego with all their profit can’t print the detail either. Well they have they just rarely use such printing methods.

39 minutes ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

I think that’s right but I can’t find any reference to her job in that show online lol. She definitely dabbles in journalism in the Ultimate universe though. It’s not unheard of or something to be upset about for sure.

I think it’d be killing two birds with one stone. If a figure fills both the roles of a reporter and a love interest it makes a lot of sense to include that figure. But we shall see. If anything it may be a blessing we don’t get her because we can wait a few years for lego to pump new hairpieces out so one that fits her best can release before her figure does.

37 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Just for fun, do you think they'll reuse Doctor Strange's minifigure or we'll get a new one?

I don't think he'd have the Eye Of Agamotto given it no longer has the Time Stone after Infinity War/Endgame - that alone should mean a new torso piece as that was a prominent aspect of his prior Lego figures.

I've seen some concept art which may give a hint of how he looks in Doctor Strange 2 - seems more inspired by this outfit for the character. This would require a lighter blue for his outfit, potentially some white/gray for a torso logo and perhaps no longer necessarily require leg printing as the belt is more tidied up.

I think he'll be in one of the NWH sets though similar to how Iron Man & Nick Fury were in the Homecoming and Far From Home sets.

34 minutes ago, Marvelous Spidey said:

I think the general point was that it does not matter what her role is - other than being important in the Spider-man lore :shrug_oh_well:

That alone should be enough to justify her potential inclusion in the set. I'm not sure her being a journalist would make it more likely, unless she has worked for the Daily Bugle - even then we're dealing with the original comics so they are likely going to lean towards those. As of the moment we need more civilian characters to justify the Daily Bugle setting otherwise it's just a backdrop to what appears to be several heroes fighting a version of the Sinister Six.

I think including characters who are tied to the Daily Bugle would be helpful such as Robbie Robertson, Eddie Brock, Betty Brant... you could even go obscure and go for a character like 'Richard Jones' (The Phantom Reporter) in which you just give us a guy in a suit with a cape and a hat and you can give him an alt-face with an eye mask and you'd have an extra hero who could pass for a civilian who has ties to the Daily Bugle also.

On 4/14/2021 at 1:15 PM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

What do you mean source, like what the hell dude :laugh_hard:

On 4/14/2021 at 11:57 AM, BrickHat said:

I know I really liked the Joker as a kid. He's Batman's main antagonist. Not hard to imagine he'd be popular among kids. I don't think anyone will have statistics for ya, so anecdotal evidence is as far as you'll get.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:56 AM, BlueberryWaffles said:

Assuming you're talking about the Joker in, general and not a specific iteration, how is he not popular with kids? Batman is still one of the biggest superheroes around, heck, he's probably one of the most popular fictional characters. Joker is almost just as iconic, being placed as Batman's primary antagonist in everything from cartoons to movies to games to Fisher-Price toys. Unless things have dramatically changed since I was in elementary/middle school, Joker is still very popular with kids.

For popular, I'm not saying the same thing as well-known. Joker is well-known, but not popular among kids. Popular is the most well-known and wanted (in the case of merchandise) thing by the plurality or majority of people). 

When kids do talk about superheroes, it's about the Disney+ stuff for Marvel, and the new Batman and Synder Cut movies for DC. Specifically about Robert Patterson being Batman for females. Yes, Joker was popular among kids in 2008 who were superhero fans when Dark Knight came out; but those kids grew up and are not the kids I'm talking about. 

I'm referring to talking young elementary school-age people right now. Who are 6-11, Lego's primary age range. Born from 2010-2015. People who were too young to watch Dark Knight or the R-rated Joker movie. Not AFOLs. 

Lego's main target is the new generation of kids with less familiarity with Dark Knight and Joker because most weren't old enough to watch PG-13 movies and were too obsessed with "secret agents" and "spies". (In my case, after watching Cars 2.) Who when Force Awakens came out, they were about Star Wars. And when Infinity War came out, Marvel caught their attention. Who got to watch Joker when Dark Knight came out on Netflix or got to watch Batman in the Lego movies or from the DCEU.

Joker is well-known among these kids but not the most popular.

Opinion stuff:

I think Lego should focus on Disney+ things for marvel. For DC, whatever is selling the best. From the way Lego keeps on making Batman stuff, this would be Batman and Joker stuff and any of their TV shows or movies. The news about Batman movie sets is an excellent decision by Lego.

Further reading:

(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=marvel&geo=US)

(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0127p2q6)

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Wow. 287 pages? That's 87 pages that I probably haven't read. 

13 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

I hope the Bugle pics are near 

Me too! I'm ready to put my pre-order on that set, but even a peek in the meantime would be awesome!

5 hours ago, HRC said:

For popular, I'm not saying the same thing as well-known. Joker is well-known, but not popular among kids. Popular is the most well-known and wanted (in the case of merchandise) thing by the plurality or majority of people). 

When kids do talk about superheroes, it's about the Disney+ stuff for Marvel, and the new Batman and Synder Cut movies for DC. Specifically about Robert Patterson being Batman for females. Yes, Joker was popular among kids in 2008 who were superhero fans when Dark Knight came out; but those kids grew up and are not the kids I'm talking about. 

I'm referring to talking young elementary school-age people right now. Who are 6-11, Lego's primary age range. Born from 2010-2015. People who were too young to watch Dark Knight or the R-rated Joker movie. Not AFOLs. 

Lego's main target is the new generation of kids with less familiarity with Dark Knight and Joker because most weren't old enough to watch PG-13 movies and were too obsessed with "secret agents" and "spies". (In my case, after watching Cars 2.) Who when Force Awakens came out, they were about Star Wars. And when Infinity War came out, Marvel caught their attention. Who got to watch Joker when Dark Knight came out on Netflix or got to watch Batman in the Lego movies or from the DCEU.

Opinion stuff:

I think Lego should focus on Disney+ things for marvel. For DC, whatever is selling the best. From the way Lego keeps on making Batman stuff, this would be Batman and Joker stuff and any of their TV shows or movies. The news about Batman movie sets is an excellent decision by Lego.

Further reading:

(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=marvel&geo=US)

(https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0127p2q6)

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Wow. 287 pages? That's 87 pages that I probably haven't read. 

"the joker is not popular among kids, the snyder cut on the other hand"

I know I usually have terrible takes on this forum, but I swear this is just a new level of being delusional.

5 hours ago, HRC said:

Specifically about Robert Patterson being Batman for females.

You know, usually its a huge red flag when people refear to women as "females".

Edited by PGBQW

4 hours ago, HRC said:

I get the distinction and the logic but the argument is still flawed.

1. MCU movies are and have been PG-13.
  2. You're comparing spies with a character like Joker and then a mythos like Star Wars and then a company like Marvel. Comparing "spies" with "superheroes" would make more sense.
  3. Basing popularity on search terms is tricky for a few reasons. Here, it is mostly bc we're, again, comparing apples to oranges. We're comparing Joker (a search term about a character) to Marvel (a search term about a company). Compare Joker to one of Marvel's characters. Say the face of the MCU: Iron Man. They're matched at 6 more average searches since 2004. In Movies, its 6-4 Iron Man. In comics/animation Joker nearly doubles the searches. In TV/video Joker also leads. In the past 90 days Joker leads in all the aforementioned categories. So he technically is most popular based on this. However, "spiderman" tops both of them and then Batman dwarfs all 3 of them.
  4. There are other ways that kids come into contact with popular characters besides movies. Joker is in so many animated properties that are relevant on kids channels (Batman vs TMNT on Nick, JLU, and Scooby-Doo for example). Fortnite also has a Joker skin. He was in Injustice. He's on every notebook, pencil, and bag in stores.

I mean sure people want what is popular right now of course. Example: right now Falcon is more searched than Iron Man and therefore more popular based on your working definition. So people want a Falcon set more than an Iron Man one right now. But what does that add to the convo? I feel like your argument is splitting hairs. This is like asking is Venom reaally popular among kids now. He's the archenemy of one of the biggest IPs of all time. The answer is yes. So, Lego should ofc continue to make sets out of one of DC's top 5 characters and top 1 villain because he's popular.

5 hours ago, HRC said:

From the way Lego keeps on making Batman stuff, this would be Batman and Joker stuff and any of their TV shows or movies.

You’ve gone from not popular to not the most popular, to Lego should keep selling Joker based sets because he’s clearly popular. Either this rollercoaster is broken, or you’re not convinced by your own argument. Either way this is the Marvel thread, full of peeps eagerly awaiting the release of the Bugle.

26 minutes ago, BusterNut31 said:

Cant wait to see the teaser for Shang Chi later today!

Where did that info come from?

26 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Where did that info come from?

I think it had to do with the fact that the official twitter account for the movie got recently updated with a new banner & info.

1 hour ago, BusterNut31 said:

Cant wait to see the teaser for Shang Chi later today!

A teaser trailer on Simu Liu's birthday? What a happy coincidence 

It would be awesome if the Bugle came with a printed (or stickered) newspaper tile for the Daily Bugle. I have the one from that 2004 subway train set but another one would be great to see.

A J Jonah Jameson minifigure would be great too since I don't have that (although being the Bugle, I can't imagine they would leave that character out)

Edited by jonwil

11 hours ago, PGBQW said:

New one for 100%.

Not only is the old outfit based on the concept art for 2016 movie and is inaccurate, but it also has Eye of Agamotto printed.

Also, he'll get a new outfit in the movie, much more accurate to his comicbook one.

10 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

Crossing my fingers for at least some Daredevil images this week. 

In a weird way, I hope we don't see him until the official pics. We've only seen 2/14(+?) figures thus far (don't know if Spidey, Venom, Goblin or Mysterio will be the same). Not being able to see/not knowing the figures builds up more hype for the reveal. That's really just a me thing though