Captain Nemo

Marvel Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I am really satisfied that the Shang-Chi sets are a bit up there in price range, I expected a $20-$30 set at most, but the fact that there are 2 that are priced at $30 and $40 excites me. I just want an arena that has the characters battling for the 10 rings and a brick built Fin Fang Foom. Those sound like solid sets.

About the subject of a D2C, I think a UCS Milano like this one would be rad: https://buildbetterbricks.com/products/custom-lego-ucs-guardians-of-the-galaxy-milano-instructions. I'd pay good money for that. Maybe give Quill and Gamora some arm printing to make the minifigs more exclusive. Anybody else not a huge fan of Lego's interpretation of Star-Lord mask? I would love a new Star-Lord mask, too, but I understand that desire is very unlikely.

Edited by Moon_Knight

3 hours ago, Moon_Knight said:

About the subject of a D2C, I think a UCS Milano like this one would be rad: https://buildbetterbricks.com/products/custom-lego-ucs-guardians-of-the-galaxy-milano-instructions. I'd pay good money for that. Maybe give Quill and Gamora some arm printing to make the minifigs more exclusive. Anybody else not a huge fan of Lego's interpretation of Star-Lord mask? I would love a new Star-Lord mask, too, but I understand that desire is very unlikely.

That would be cool but I'm not sure how LEGO would look at an idea like that. The Milano has it's fanbase but in the end it's a ship that only appeared in 1-and-a-bit movie and has since been replaced by the Benatar, which is already 3 years ago from a merchandising pov. 

Black Widow has been rumored to get another delay. Expect every MCU movie for this year to follow suite, and in turn, the lego sets that accompany them. The only things we can concretely look forward to for the rest of the year are the 18+ sets, the D2C, and the Disney+ sets (plus whatever comic book sets lego decides on)

Even if we do get set pics/info, descriptions for Shang-Chi and Spider-Man 3, they most likely are not coming out any time soon 

Edited by TOTDForever

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

That would be cool but I'm not sure how LEGO would look at an idea like that. The Milano has it's fanbase but in the end it's a ship that only appeared in 1-and-a-bit movie and has since been replaced by the Benatar, which is already 3 years ago from a merchandising pov. 

You're definitely not wrong. It has its fanbase but that might not be enough for it to become an expensive set.

D2C still seems like to be Avengers Tower, it's an iconic aspect of a majority of the first three phases. I think any speculation otherwise needs to consider that this needs to be as iconic/popular as the Helicarrier.

30 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

Black Widow has been rumored to get another delay. Expect every MCU movie for this year to follow suite, and in turn, the lego sets that accompany them. The only things we can concretely look forward to for the rest of the year are the 18+ sets, the D2C, and the Disney+ sets (plus whatever comic book sets lego decides on)

I'm fairly sure the 18+ sets are tied to Sony movies, in particular 'Venom: Let there be Carnage', which is believed to have an R-Rating that might get delayed also potentially pushing back release. The rumored 'Carnage Head/Bust' is believed to be one of the 18+ sets and chances are the other 18+ set is a Venom Head/Bust, as why would'nt they make the protagonist of the movie into a Head/Bust also? If it is keeping its current June 25, 2021 release date then we have some reports that we'll see our first glimpse of the movie on February 7th 2021 during the superbowl. If we've got nothing by then, chances are the movie and potentially the sets will be delayed.

If all the movie sets do get pushed back we could see everything other than the D2C, Disney+ sets and the comic book inspired sets getting pushed back.

35 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

D2C still seems like to be Avengers Tower, it's an iconic aspect of a majority of the first three phases. I think any speculation otherwise needs to consider that this needs to be as iconic/popular as the Helicarrier.

I'm fairly sure the 18+ sets are tied to Sony movies, in particular 'Venom: Let there be Carnage', which is believed to have an R-Rating that might get delayed also potentially pushing back release. The rumored 'Carnage Head/Bust' is believed to be one of the 18+ sets and chances are the other 18+ set is a Venom Head/Bust, as why would'nt they make the protagonist of the movie into a Head/Bust also? If it is keeping its current June 25, 2021 release date then we have some reports that we'll see our first glimpse of the movie on February 7th 2021 during the superbowl. If we've got nothing by then, chances are the movie and potentially the sets will be delayed.

If all the movie sets do get pushed back we could see everything other than the D2C, Disney+ sets and the comic book inspired sets getting pushed back.

I hope the D2C blows us away to compensate 

1 hour ago, TOTDForever said:

I honestly doubt that, especially as that has been ''rumored'' for months now. I wouldn't be surprised if they delay it again but I'm confident they'll release it as currently planned, most likely as a dual-released film.

58 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I honestly doubt that, especially as that has been ''rumored'' for months now. I wouldn't be surprised if they delay it again but I'm confident they'll release it as currently planned, most likely as a dual-released film.

they most likely will delay it. Kevin Fiege himself recently said he wasn't confident in the MCU release window for all their movies this year. People don't take covid seriously enough

any given thing being delayed, be it lego set or movie, is just a normal slice of life now.

we should prepare to be disappointed, this way IF the lego sets associated with the movies do come out on time we will all be pleasantly surprised and delighted.

(yes I know the black widow set is out)

Edited by TOTDForever

Does LEGO keep a store of backup set ideas or something to run in case too many sets need to be delayed?

32 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Does LEGO keep a store of backup set ideas or something to run in case too many sets need to be delayed?

Not really no 

10 hours ago, Scarilian said:

You can't be more wrong here. Sony movies never got Lego sets and most likely never will, as Sony doesn't own merchandise rights to marvel characters they use, Disney does. They can make movies with them but not toys. 18+ sets can be anything, maybe new idea like helmets or mosaic, but definitely not Sony movies.

1 hour ago, benderisgreat said:

You can't be more wrong here. Sony movies never got Lego sets and most likely never will, as Sony doesn't own merchandise rights to marvel characters they use, Disney does. They can make movies with them but not toys. 18+ sets can be anything, maybe new idea like helmets or mosaic, but definitely not Sony movies.

With rumoured new Marvel Studios / Sony deal, I believe it might be possible that they agreed to make a Lego set based on it (not very likely tho).

5 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

it could be a comic based Carnage/Venom bust. Also Sony owned Spider-Man and his rogue gallery before Disney

5 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

it could be a comic based Carnage/Venom bust. Also Sony owned Spider-Man and his rogue gallery before Disney

Only the film rights. The merchandise, and comic book rights have always belonged to Marvel and Disney.

1 hour ago, JediJosh said:

Only the film rights. The merchandise, and comic book rights have always belonged to Marvel and Disney.

Not in 2002/2004 when we got Raimi sets, they've only owned marvel for a little over a decade 

8 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

You can't be more wrong here.

Nothing is stopping Disney from doing Sony movie inspired or tie-in sets advertising Venom: Let There Be Carnage or other Sony Venomverse films and you have made no remark to contradict that.The contract between Sony & Disney has been re-worked twice since Far From Home so we are entering a realm where it is easily possible.

Why would'nt Disney produce some level of associated sets for Venom 2 now that the project has demonstrated its financial viability and both Sony and Disney have expressed interest in some form of crossover between the brands. In a similar sense, Morbius, if financially viable and popular is likely going to be brought into the MCU in some form in the future (Potentially the Sinister Six) given the Michael Keaton Vulture cameo and the acknowledgement that it's seemingly set in the exacty same universe.

Up until a week or so ago people dismissed the idea of the Disney+ shows getting sets and I feel people are now going to do the same regarding potential Sony connected sets - even though we have more information regarding a Carnage Head/Bust that we do a potential Wandavision set at the current time.

Sony movies never got Lego sets and most likely never will, as Sony doesn't own merchandise rights to marvel characters they use, Disney does

• Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Spider-man 1: Lego Sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Spider-man 2: Lego Sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Spider-man 3: Mega Bloks sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - The Amazing Spider-man: Mega Bloks sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - The Amazing Spider-man 2: Electro polybag, A Comic Con exclusive TASM 2 suit and two comic style sets inspired by the movie
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Studios - Homecoming: Lego sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Venom: No sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Studios - Far From Home: Lego sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Venom: Let There Be Carnage: A rumoured Carnage Head/Bust (Potentially a Venom Head/Bust)
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Morbius: Not currently known if Lego Sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Studios - Spider-man 3 (2): Lego sets

The Spider-man 3 and TASM Mega Bloks sets are believed to be due to getting outbid by Mega Bloks in regards to the rights. Venom can be dismissed as an exception due to the property at the time not being part of the MCU or financial viability in comparison to other 2018 films or simply as its own property. Not every MCU movie has gotten sets, in a similar regard not every Sony movie will get sets - but at the moment we are legitimately only missing 2018 Venom and when they lacked the rights - every other time Lego produced something related to the movie.

18+ sets can be anything, maybe new idea like helmets or mosaic, but definitely not Sony movies.

The price and piece count demonstrates it is very unlikely to be a mosaic and the reports claiming it to be a Venom: Let There Be Carnage inspired Carnage Head/Bust were the same that correctly labelled every other price and description for the Winter 2021 wave of sets. 18+ sets can be anything, but one is seemingly a Carnage Head/Bust inspired and released intentionally because of Venom: Let There Be Carnage. It it does not happen then that'd be strange considering all the other information was correct and from the same source.

27 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

Nothing is stopping Disney from doing Sony movie inspired or tie-in sets advertising Venom: Let There Be Carnage or other Sony Venomverse films and you have made no remark to contradict that.The contract between Sony & Disney has been re-worked twice since Far From Home so we are entering a realm where it is easily possible.

Why would'nt Disney produce some level of associated sets for Venom 2 now that the project has demonstrated its financial viability and both Sony and Disney have expressed interest in some form of crossover between the brands. In a similar sense, Morbius, if financially viable and popular is likely going to be brought into the MCU in some form in the future (Potentially the Sinister Six) given the Michael Keaton Vulture cameo and the acknowledgement that it's seemingly set in the exacty same universe.

Up until a week or so ago people dismissed the idea of the Disney+ shows getting sets and I feel people are now going to do the same regarding potential Sony connected sets - even though we have more information regarding a Carnage Head/Bust that we do a potential Wandavision set at the current time.

• Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Spider-man 1: Lego Sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Spider-man 2: Lego Sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Spider-man 3: Mega Bloks sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - The Amazing Spider-man: Mega Bloks sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - The Amazing Spider-man 2: Electro polybag, A Comic Con exclusive TASM 2 suit and two comic style sets inspired by the movie
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Studios - Homecoming: Lego sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Venom: No sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Studios - Far From Home: Lego sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Venom: Let There Be Carnage: A rumoured Carnage Head/Bust (Potentially a Venom Head/Bust)
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Entertainment - Morbius: Not currently known if Lego Sets
  • Columbia Pictures & Marvel Studios - Spider-man 3 (2): Lego sets

The Spider-man 3 and TASM Mega Bloks sets are believed to be due to getting outbid by Mega Bloks in regards to the rights. Venom can be dismissed as an exception due to the property at the time not being part of the MCU or financial viability in comparison to other 2018 films or simply as its own property. Not every MCU movie has gotten sets, in a similar regard not every Sony movie will get sets - but at the moment we are legitimately only missing 2018 Venom and when they lacked the rights - every other time Lego produced something related to the movie.

The price and piece count demonstrates it is very unlikely to be a mosaic and the reports claiming it to be a Venom: Let There Be Carnage inspired Carnage Head/Bust were the same that correctly labelled every other price and description for the Winter 2021 wave of sets. 18+ sets can be anything, but one is seemingly a Carnage Head/Bust inspired and released intentionally because of Venom: Let There Be Carnage. It it does not happen then that'd be strange considering all the other information was correct and from the same source.

Just to begin, your arguments miss few points: those sets were made long ago, when Sony had merchandise right for Spiderman, so that's why they happened.

Now for the main argument, Sony venomverse and MCU and different universes(as far as we know). Disney has no interest to promote competitors movies which usually fight for the same audience dollars as their MCU ones. And even in impossible situation say Disney needed quick $, they wouldn't do it, as Venom 2 is R rated! And Disney stays as far as they can from R rated association, same as Lego( who cancelled Deadpool set in 2016, after first movie came out as they were afraid to be associated with r rated character now.).

So here's why there won't be Venom 2 sets. Now we can gets more sets with venom in summer in the same way we got a lot of Spiderverse characters in 2019 sets( sets weren't labeled as movie ones, but just had the same characters to make quick buck).

Just now, benderisgreat said:

So here's why there won't be Venom 2 sets. Now we can gets more sets with venom in summer in the same way we got a lot of Spiderverse characters in 2019 sets( sets weren't labeled as movie ones, but just had the same characters to make quick buck).

So you think the Carnage bust will be comic based? I may be interpreting your post incorrectly.

2 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

And Disney stays as far as they can from R rated association, same as Lego( who cancelled Deadpool set in 2016, after first movie came out as they were afraid to be associated with r rated character now.).

Thats not entirely true. Disney have been making R rated content for years, they just don't label it under the Disney banner, but its still technically Disney.

I think Lego will ease up a bit with Deadpool especially as his next movie has been confirmed to be in the MCU. I know its still rated R but it's a cash cow for them. 

Long response because there's a lot of new things to reply to.

I think the CMF would be MCU based. That would make the most sense.

On 1/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, SpiderJazz said:

Movie is so jump packed. He better suit up with small fight scenes or in post credit. Lego was not playing when they put the stickers of DD in Sanctum set. Haha

Lego is four parallel dimensions ahead of us :laugh: if they had known about Daredevil appearing with Spider-man or Doctor Strange in the MCU during Infinity War wave.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:20 AM, Guyon2002 said:

Sanctuary II isn't really an iconic ship though, which makes me doubt LEGO would put it at a $300 pricepoint. Pretty risky.

I agree that consumers likely wouldn't buy the Sanctuary II as much as an Avengers thing, as I typed in the 2020 forum.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:59 AM, TOTDForever said:
On 1/19/2021 at 4:59 AM, TOTDForever said:

I agree, it sounds too niche for the general consumer. 

On 1/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, Moon_Knight said:
On 1/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, Moon_Knight said:

About the subject of a D2C, I think a UCS Milano like this one would be rad: https://buildbetterbricks.com/products/custom-lego-ucs-guardians-of-the-galaxy-milano-instructions]...

Anybody else not a huge fan of Lego's interpretation of Star-Lord mask? I would love a new Star-Lord mask, too, but I understand that desire is very unlikely.

I wish the Benatar infinity war set had Star-Lord's mask. I don't have it and would love to. The UCS Milano would be great, but I would prefer an Endgame Avengers Compound because it could have all the Endgame variants we missed.

Spoiler
Spoiler

No need to read if not interested in Black Widow:

I'm just annoyed about the Black Widow delays, it just makes social distancing's effects more annoying, with the lack of new content to watch with all the time at home. I already watched all the Star Wars and Marvel stuff on Disney+. I replayed Halo and some Battlefront 2. At this point, I'm fine with paying $20 for owning Black Widow on Disney+. 

4 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

I think 60% it will be a Carnage bust. I'm putting this Brickset screenshot in spoilers because I don't know how to shrink it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Brickset Screenshot 2021-01-21 095606

Before (About two months ago) it was tagged "symbiote" but it got changed. But it's tagged Spider-man, villain, 18+, and sculptures.

Edited by HRC
I don't know why it repeats the quoted by part

56 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

So you think the Carnage bust will be comic based? I may be interpreting your post incorrectly.

I'm guessing yes, comic based. Now the fact that Carnage will be in movie, will help sell this set for Lego, but it won't be directly based on movie. Just my thoughts, though, I might be completely wrong:def_shrug:

50 minutes ago, JediJosh said:

Thats not entirely true. Disney have been making R rated content for years, they just don't label it under the Disney banner, but its still technically Disney.

I think Lego will ease up a bit with Deadpool especially as his next movie has been confirmed to be in the MCU. I know its still rated R but it's a cash cow for them. 

Well yes, movie wise they have different sub studios for more adult-oriented content. With Deadpool I agree with you completely, when he joins Mcu he will definitely appear in some sets, but we are area years away from that.

Edited by benderisgreat

3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

-snip-

We still don't have any information to determine how the new deals made after Far From Home will impact the potential nature of getting a movie inspired set or a set based on the Sony films. We have one example from during the previous contract, but I don't feel that is enough to set a presidence. We'll just have to see what happens with the 18+ sets, if they get released this year.

22 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

I hope the D2C blows us away to compensate 

Hopefully, as long as things are spaced out a little it'd give us something new to discuss, modify, etc... rather than waiting on potential leaks for sets we might not get until much later in the year.

It's definitely not movie based. Ryan Ting, who works at Hasbro, said last year that the reason they don't tend to do Sony merchandise right away is because while Marvel Studios provides concept art and actor images before filming even begins so that toy companies have ample production time, Sony does not do that. Notice that companies did eventually make toys for the Venom film....over a year after it was in theaters. Notice that a lot of the Into the Spider-Verse toys were also produced quite late.

Edited by Battlinpanther

I don't expect any Deadpool movie sets. I can see Deadpool as a fig in a Doctor Strange 2 set, as this is supposed to be his entrance into the MCU.

Carnage and Venom exist in Lego, and haven't needed movie tie-ins for their sets. Both have appeared in Spider-Man cartoons for a long time. They were even central to a good chunk of Spider-Man Unlimited, which is one Spidey suit I want as a fig (would have made sense in Venomosaurus Ambush). Busts do not need a specific movie to sell to an existing adult fanbase. I personally know nine comic collectors that buy those kinds of display items, one a serious symbiote fan. (I considered buying a talking Deadpool head.)

To those who question how well known Uatu is, What If . . . is about to become a Disney+ cartoon, and the comics have their own fanbase. I still read my copy of What If  . . . Wolverine Was Lord Of The Vampires (that would be an awesome variant). I am aware at how unlikely a large brick built Uatu set would be, but it is still in the realm of the plausible. I remember the fan buzz when the Watchers were first rumored to appear in the MCU. Some speculated Stan Lee's cameos across various Marvel movie universes made him Uatu.

The delays for Black Widow are disappointing, but as it is largely a prequel movie, I don't think it changes much. The sets have sold well, and Lego may just extend production to fill some of the void. The CMF series could get an extended run as well.

The Shang Chi sets interest me in that they will need to be made in such a way as to differentiate enough from Ninjago (dragon builds), Monkie Kid (modern Chinese character representation), and Chinese New Year (cultural architecture) sets.