Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I have a question for you all.

If you could choose 5 completely new characters as minifigs which Lego has to make, Who would they be?

Mine would be, The Dark Archer, Heat Wave, King Shark, Kid Flash and Zatanna

I saw the new sets and I thought the batcave was quite good, I really like the upside with the clock and the chandeliers. I found it only dissapointing that I learned by comments from other people that the grey guy on the right with a ? on his jacket was the Riddler.

1 hour ago, gryffindorbrickkid said:

If you could choose 5 completely new characters as minifigs which Lego has to make, Who would they be?

I’m a Charlton fan so Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Question, Peacemaker, and Nightshade would be a nice start for me. There are so many, many more that I would be happy to see, though. 

2 hours ago, Wout said:

I found it only dissapointing that I learned by comments from other people that the grey guy on the right with a ? on his jacket was the Riddler.

Aside from the hair it's pretty accurate to what we've seen from Riddler's actual costume in the movie.

2 hours ago, gryffindorbrickkid said:

Kyle Rayner, Alan Scott, Orion (with his astro-harness), Adam Strange, Kid Flash (or Wally West in his New 52 Flash suit).

Peacemaker, Bloodsport, King Shark, Ratcatcher 2 and Mad Hatter.

Yes, I love The Suicide Squad.

As for Mad Hatter, I have no idea why they still haven't completed the OG 15 from the Lego Batman video game. He's the only one left (but Clayface still needs a minfigure).

How many variants of the Music Meister am I allowed to ask for? :grin:

But for real, Alan Scott, the Phantasm, Mr Myxlplyx, Bizarro (I dont care he was on SDCC and Mighty Micros) and The Ventriloquist

Edited by PGBQW

10 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

How many variants of the Music Meister am I allowed to ask for? :grin:

But for real, Alan Scott, the Phantasm, Mr Myxlplyx, Bizarro (I dont care he was on SDCC and Mighty Micros) and The Ventriloquist

Oooooo the Phantasm. Good choice. :thumbup:

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of positivity in this thread about these sets. I'm glad people like them though.

It's partially down to the in-film designs, but these look so darn drab. They're like comparing the cartoon TMNT sets to those film ones - the difference was night and day.

The two smaller sets have excellent piece count and value, but those bikes look horrible and while the car is fine, it just looks like a big oversized car to me.

The Batcave is the only standout, but has quite a low piece count for its price and looks so grim and drab as a set. It has some nice design features and the best overall group of figures, but doesn't look its price.

The minifigures overall look ok though the villains look nothing like any other appearance of them, but Batman sorely needs a new cowl. I honestly can't believe they're using this one for a wave tying into a major new from.

All in all, these sets feel like they're lacking something, some special oomph that LEGO usually adds for waves based on new films.

The batmobile definitely feels like a Speed Champions batmobile to me, in the new 8 stud wide trend of LEGO. I wonder if it uses the same base piece.

And the bikes, the three bikes share a chassis piece, is that a new piece for this wave? I guess these small, not oversized motorcycles might become more common now.

21 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I knew Riddler was supposed to be inspired by the Zodiac Killer but I wasnt expecting it to be so close. Kinda digging it 

I find rather odd that they are again merging Riddler with another character

Spoiler

They recently merged him with Hush

If they were going to go that far with the Zodiac Killer look, why didn't they just introduce Zodiac Killer as a villain in the Batman universe? I mean, the name and modus operandi already sound like a Batman villain

It wouldnt be the first time that a real life criminal has appeared as a Batman villain

Spoiler

Jack the Ripper is the villain in Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

All in all, these sets feel like they're lacking something, some special oomph that LEGO usually adds for waves based on new films.

I echo your sentiment. Now that the pictures have been out for a day, my overall opinion is ‘meh’. There are some nice highlights in this wave, but I was expecting so much more considering the anticipation regarding this film. It’s a shame how lazy the Batman minifigure itself comes across as.

The Batman minifigure is indeed a problem

It's the first thing everyone looks for, and it really gives an "already seen" vibe

How couldn't they realize that while designing the set?

:wacko:

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

If they were going to go that far with the Zodiac Killer look, why didn't they just introduce Zodiac Killer as a villain in the Batman universe?

Because that would be highly disrespectful to the victims’ families :tongue: 50 years may have passed, but there are still living relatives around

43 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The Batman minifigure is indeed a problem

It's the first thing everyone looks for, and it really gives an "already seen" vibe

How couldn't they realize that while designing the set?

:wacko:

Considering there are 1000000 batmen in not surprised. The schtick with this suit is that its mostly grey and has a shorter cowl, which is Affleck’s suit already, and this is a more slender and younger batman (which is hard to accomplish with a minifig). 

They definitely should’ve used Battfleck’s cowl but otherwise I can’t think of much else they could do.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

If they were going to go that far with the Zodiac Killer look, why didn't they just introduce Zodiac Killer as a villain in the Batman universe? I mean, the name and modus operandi already sound like a Batman villain

They could also have Osama Bin Laden as the villain of the next Avengers movie

The smallest Batman set gives me so much nostalgia because it reminds me of the 2006 Batman & Catwoman set, the first Batman set I ever got. 

I think a lot of people would be saying this is one of the best DC waves we’ve ever gotten if Lego would’ve given us a different head and a more accurate mold for Battinson’s cowl. 

Edited by Moon_Knight

1 hour ago, Moon_Knight said:

I think a lot of people would be saying this is one of the best DC waves we’ve ever gotten if Lego would’ve given us a different head and a more accurate mold for Battinson’s cowl. 

I do think its one of the best waves in a good while, but would've really benefited for a new mould. Like it didn't even had to be something that looked exactly like the one from the movies, I'd be satisfied with a 3rd type of cowl for Batman to wear.

26 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I do think its one of the best waves in a good while, but would've really benefited for a new mould. Like it didn't even had to be something that looked exactly like the one from the movies, I'd be satisfied with a 3rd type of cowl for Batman to wear.

This^ All of this^

To kind of play Devil's Advocate, I can *kind of* see where Lego was coming from with deciding to use this cowl over the short ear version when you compare the promo art to the cowl piece.

qRrLbH8.png

Of course if it were up to me I would've made sure that there would've been a new cowl piece, but the way the top of the cowl looks with the ear shape feels similar-ish enough. Though would it have been asking for too much to at least print the stitching outline on the forehead? I know it can be done, they did cowl printing for both Adam West Batman's, the Knightmare Batman, and on some of the alternate outfits from The Lego Batman Movie as well as the Electro Suit Batman that all used this specific cowl type. 

I think I'm one of the few that believe that the short ear cowl doesn't really work for Battinson since his cowl doesn't really have short ears, they're more medium sized compared to the stubs that Batfleck had. Right now, I feel like the closest replacements that are available would be the Batgirl cowl from TLBM if it came in black, or the First Appearance cowl if the ears sticking outward weren't a problem. 

Interesting reading on Adam Grabowski's designer Bricklist about the new UCS Tumbler:

BRICKLIST NOTES
It was decided to re-release the LEGO Tumbler, and since I made the 2014 one, I was asked to do it again.
Initially it was supposed to be a simple reissue, but I was allowed to change some things that annoyed me for the past 7 years, but only if I would fit it in within a pretty tight schedule (since it was supposed to be a simple reissue, the timeplan wasn’t laid out like it would be for a kit this size). I started with the rear end, in the first version it was way to narrow, and the tractor tyres (which I already keep on getting messages about how they are wrong, but in my opinion look similar enough to boggers that are on the real thing) didn’t exist either, then I pinched the front end to bring the wheels closer together, which led to a complete redesign of the first third of the model, at this point I managed to add the gunners window in the middle, and some suspension details I didn’t even know existed when I was building the first one (thank you @jaylenosgarage for the crystal clear footage during the day).
The rest remained mostly untouched, except for swapping bricks for new versions (like 2x6 tiles instead of 2 times 1x6 tiles), or for more correct colors (like smoke windows), but then, I was quite happy with it in 2014, and I saw no reason to reinvent it from scratch.

37 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

To kind of play Devil's Advocate, I can *kind of* see where Lego was coming from with deciding to use this cowl over the short ear version when you compare the promo art to the cowl piece.

qRrLbH8.png

Of course if it were up to me I would've made sure that there would've been a new cowl piece, but the way the top of the cowl looks with the ear shape feels similar-ish enough. Though would it have been asking for too much to at least print the stitching outline on the forehead? I know it can be done, they did cowl printing for both Adam West Batman's, the Knightmare Batman, and on some of the alternate outfits from The Lego Batman Movie as well as the Electro Suit Batman that all used this specific cowl type. 

I think I'm one of the few that believe that the short ear cowl doesn't really work for Battinson since his cowl doesn't really have short ears, they're more medium sized compared to the stubs that Batfleck had. Right now, I feel like the closest replacements that are available would be the Batgirl cowl from TLBM if it came in black, or the First Appearance cowl if the ears sticking outward weren't a problem. 

I don’t think you’re wrong. I think the ears on the old cowl are right but I hate the chinstrap on it so much. It makes the cowl look so much bulkier/boxy. I’m changing the cowl immediately when I grab the new sets.

1 hour ago, TheBatstan said:

[image]

I think if they created a 3rd cowl, they should merge the two existing one together. The ears of the one shown above but without the strap, I think that might have worked. It all depends if it was in the budget, I have a feeling every new piece seen the sets were designed for other sets first implying there was only enough budget for some new prints. This is all speculation.

I hate to be that guy, but why is this one of the best DC waves (except for the fact we just haven’t gotten a ton of DC lately). All I’m seeing is three Batman sets that look about as well done as any other sets…