Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

its not all that shocking that TLG would down size the DC line as a kind of punishment for WB not renewing their movie agreement

2022 is definitely gonna be better for this theme for me- at least we get the new batman suit. This year, none of the sets interest me.

Also if we get a cmf next year, it will likely automatically be one of the best years for this theme for me. I'm not desperate to pay for sets with generic builds

5 hours ago, Mattallica said:

its not all that shocking that TLG would down size the DC line as a kind of punishment for WB not renewing their movie agreement

No its because the sets don't sell well and the batman movie sets were delayed

Edited by thephantasm

5 hours ago, Mattallica said:

The DC theme is getting downsized because of poor sales, not because one mega corporation is ''punishing'' another. Universal jumped on that contract as soon as it became available so this didn't negatively affect either LEGO or WB, making the idea of this being the reason for the theme to get downsized absurd.

Since wb is so bold as to make a cmf for looney tunes where demand would mostly be fueled by nostalgic fans (which I don't think there will be that many) and space jam 2 - I'm 90% sure they will be bold enough to make a dc cmf 2.

The brand is probably at its lowest now, so it can't really get worse to discourage wb from making it

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

Since wb is so bold as to make a cmf for looney tunes where demand would mostly be fueled by nostalgic fans (which I don't think there will be that many) and space jam 2 - I'm 90% sure they will be bold enough to make a dc cmf 2.

The brand is probably at its lowest now, so it can't really get worse to discourage wb from making it

I think (speculation) the only reason we don’t have normal sets is to make room for the D2Cs LEGO are making each year. LEGO may have came to the realisation that D2Cs are mor profitable for the theme than normal sets. 

20 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

It actually gets worse for dc

This is referring to this year only right? Or are you also saying that you haven't heard anything about the theme besides the 3 sets for 2022

36 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

This is referring to this year only right? Or are you also saying that you haven't heard anything about the theme besides the 3 sets for 2022

I think it’d be a bit early to hear anything about Summer 2022 sets.

4 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Since wb is so bold as to make a cmf for looney tunes where demand would mostly be fueled by nostalgic fans [...]

Looney Tunes? Bold? :grin: The Looney Tunes are not some obscure cartoon, they’re on the same level of pop culture iconicity as the classic Disney cartoons :tongue:   And speaking of nostalgia: the DC CMF series wasn’t filled to the brim with obscure characters and versions, right? :sarcasm:

28 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Looney Tunes? Bold? :grin: The Looney Tunes are not some obscure cartoon, they’re on the same level of pop culture iconicity as the classic Disney cartoons :tongue:   

I think thats really debatable. Iconic? Yes. Popular enough today to sell well?- we'll see

At least in asia, Looney tunes isn't as iconic as disney. It's not even close

Edited by thephantasm

14 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I feel like I'm stuck in some kind of time loop, because I swear we have this exact conversation every single week.

Trust me I hear you. A pin could drop and I mention how this theme is likely over. However something is different now than before, AT&T has announced that DC comics will stop publishing comics in June. Apparently the comics industry is dying during the pandemic and DC comics are no longer profitable for AT&T. Pair the death of DC comics with their less than stellar movies and non existent animated universe and you get a brand that has almost no modern cultural value besides what it carried over from other decades. Its largely due to management but this brand is dying and if headlines regarding DC in other industries are any indication, the idea that this theme can be discontinued is not only likely, but reinvigorated by recent news.

And yes I’m sad about all of it.

Edited by cosmic

15 minutes ago, cosmic said:

, AT&T has announced that DC comics will stop publishing comics in June. .

EDIT: WAIT A SEC Whos your source.... no one's reporting this except wgtc which is just bs. In fact, dc is publishing multiple new comics in june, with a new supergirl comic announced 4 days ago.... r/dccomics isn't in flames either

Man you have to check your sources next time, I got really bummed out

For the sake of dc's survival they better not mess up hbo max jessica cruz or jld... but they probably will

Edited by thephantasm

10 minutes ago, cosmic said:

However something is different now than before, AT&T has announced that DC comics will stop publishing comics in June.

Has that been confirmed? I heard the rumors back in late-2020 but haven't seen or heard anything about it since. 

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Has that been confirmed? I heard the rumors back in late-2020 but haven't seen or heard anything about it since. 

Seems fake

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Look it up. DC currently has no exec’s as they were all purged and very reliable sources from inside the company have stated this. The only publisher, Jim Lee I believe has announced his leaving of the company. They will continue to print classics I believe but no new issues. It’s been a rumor for some time but the recent company purges as well as the departure of its only publisher left, and the fact that these claims were made by Dan Sciver (artist at DC) and AT&T has been rumored to be considering this for a while. Google this, it’s not absolute but the writing is on the wall.

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

AT&T has announced that DC comics will stop publishing comics in June.

They've anounced new comic series that start in July, though?

The top news story I've found about DC Comics ending is from We Got This Covered .com, so... not a trusted news site.

There have been rumours of DC Comics being up for sale for a while now, but in a world where fresh exclusive content from well-known IPs is increasingly valuable, I'd be shocked if the publisher of Batman didn't find a new owner.

Hey I felt I had to make an account to let people know that DC comics isn't going anywhere soon, especially not as soon as June. Recently the May solicitations were released announcing a whole slew of new series, digital firsts and new creative teams under the Infinite Frontier banner, and I find it very hard to believe the comics division would be shutting down the very next month.

DC did lose roughly a third of its editorial staff but has recently come under new management and I for one am excited to see where they go next.  Also, please don't listen to comicsgaters like Ethan Van Sciver, (who has not been an artist for DC for quite a while now) they are not worth your time and thrive off negative attention.

Sorry if this is off topic or anything, just wanted to address what that guy was saying.

Hi “that guy” here. I may have misunderstood the finality of these rumors and I believe AT&T is definitely eyeing DC but nothing is final. My understanding though is the sales of the new releases are going to be scrutinized by AT&T and I’m not sure how you only found one website? Many YouTube channels and comic sites have reported on this. I was mistaken in thinking it was final, but the future of DC comics is anything but absolute and these rumblings did not come out of nowhere. 

6 hours ago, cosmic said:

AT&T has announced that DC comics will stop publishing comics in June

You got a source for that? And by that I don’t mean some YouTube attention seeker or a comics page with a quote from a disgruntled former employee? Honestly I like reading comics and I like reading about them, but fan sites and supposed insider sites have an appalling reputation when it comes to verifiable news. Can we steer this back towards Lego inspired by comics? The last thing this thread needs is a 24 hour foot up the big behind like the Harry Potter one.

6 hours ago, cosmic said:

Many YouTube channels and comic sites have reported on this

You have to understand that nowadays, there are many clickbait and thus fake or alarmist headlines- and the only articles I've found are from smallscreen and we got this covered. As others have said, people like Ethan Van sciver also publish a lot of clickbait alarmist fake news to rile up their fanbase.

Yes the comics industry is declining, but in the short term, dc is still here to stay. The comics serve to produce an endless amount of inspiration for the other industries. It's not a big secret that it isn't that profitable.

So yeah, cross-referencing with credible sources is a must

Edited by thephantasm

19 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The DC theme is getting downsized because of poor sales, not because one mega corporation is ''punishing'' another. Universal jumped on that contract as soon as it became available so this didn't negatively affect either LEGO or WB, making the idea of this being the reason for the theme to get downsized absurd.

and you know this how, are you an insider? doubt it! your GUESS is just as much a GUESS as anyone elses and just as absurd,Batman SELLS period,

Appreciate the criticism everyone. This is absolutely not a guaranteed situation. Its fair to say news regarding both the DC movies and comics is consistently bleak but I suppose the discontinuation of new print is only an issue if and when its finally implemented. I‘ve heard rumors of rich fans offering to buy the publishing rights from Warner, reports that AT&T was being extra scrupulous with their handling of the comics publishing and whether it was worth the money. I’ll admit for now its not a credible report. 

Having said all of that, if DC is to survive I hope the editorial purges and renewed attention to its management will put an emphasis on the brand and we’ll start to see a return to the quality of art I once associated with DC comics.

Edited by cosmic

4 hours ago, Mattallica said:

and you know this how, are you an insider? doubt it! your GUESS is just as much a GUESS as anyone elses and just as absurd,Batman SELLS period,

Those last 3 words already undermine your own argument. If Batman sells why would LEGO sabotage themselves and lower their own revenue by taking revenge on WB for not renewing their movie contract?

But I have no interest in discussing this further.

Wow, what is up with all the negativity and hostility in all these licensed threads lately... we are discussing toys here people lets please just keep it friendly and positive, there already is enough negativity in the world as is.