Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

59 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Highly doubt it. $500 is bigger than the bugle. There's not a lot of interesting elements to include in an asylum set that big. You could do the cells, joker's therapy room, another freeze holding cell, maybe a cafeteria... that's about it. Even if you make the cells, cube-sized, how many cells would you include?

Joker, riddler, penguin, scarecrow, ivy, two-face, bane...

Nah I don't see it. Honestly was quite surprised he said arkham was the most mentioned. Most of the dc wishes seem to be the hall of justice.

Maybe a $300- $400 arkham playset but ucs styled could still work. A $500 arkham? Can't see it. Especially when you could do the batcave, but I'm certain it's neither.

I think Arkham sounds more plausible for 500 than Hall of Justice

A bat-vehicle or even some villain vehicle for a break-out play feature could be included as well

Do Clayface go to Arkham? It would be a nice chance for a recolored VIDIYO Slime Singer as Clayface

Is it possible to mix several interpretations of Batman in one official set? Than I could see a Wayne Manor or Arkham Asylum with a huge amount of details and iconic scenes work out well. If not I can't really see a desirable set delivering enough for such a price.

Edited by Gorilla94

I honestly highly doubt this set is going to be something for DC. If LEGO doesn't even have the faith to give this theme a somewhat decent amount of sets every year I can't see them taking any chances with a $500 set.

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I honestly highly doubt this set is going to be something for DC. If LEGO doesn't even have the faith to give this theme a somewhat decent amount of sets every year I can't see them taking any chances with a $500 set.

But they do for Batman! 

It's either going to be avengers tower or something Batman. 

My thoughts! 

3 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

DC fans always taking Ls. Marvel is probably getting 2 D2Cs next year, while DC is getting none.

We'll be lucky if we get any more sets next year at all. Please LEGO, give us sets fro Black Adam, The Flash and Aquaman. That's all I care about.

Like some have said, I'm more inclined to think the D2C is DC based due to the Bugle having just come out this year and the D2C Hulkbuster coming. With that though, wouldn't surprise me if Lego's going all in on Marvel at this point.

There is that thought in the back of my head however: What would be a DC version of the Daily Bugle set, main hero with their variant team versus their big rogues gallery at an iconic, gorgeous building (that could easily be repurposed in a Lego city) designed to fit the modular buildstyle? The Bat Family versus Arkham Asylum. I think there are enough versions of it in different media for Lego designers to freestyle the design to fit whatever footprint they'd be working with, there's a low probability (like with the Bugle) the architectural style will show up in the modular building line, and if DC truly is little else but Batman in all but name now, it's the most likely candidate in my mind. The Batcave, I think, would be a definite contender if not for the fact that a lot of pieces would have to be reserved to make up an actual cave portion; Lego's move towards more "unified" display models/D2Cs in recent years makes me imagine that a D2C Batcave would be less separate modules and pieces a la the 1966 set and more one complete section.

With an Arkham set, you could squeeze in villains we might not otherwise get (Mad Hatter, Zsasz and Hush off the top of my head), more than enough easter eggs (not just all of the movies and shows - include an enormous Scarecrow build and anyone who loved the Arkham games will look twice at it), and it would break the ongoing trend of D2C Batvehicles, being something more traditionally "Lego", while maintaing the bare minimum of the DC subtheme. You could even throw in the Flash just to include some of his rogues to capitalize on Flash movie hype. I wouldn't put any of it past the mad lads to be honest.

Buuut, I can just as easily see it being the Avengers Tower, which would obviously make for a great statement piece. Not that I wouldn't want that, I'd buy it sooner or later, but I would definitely pick up a D2C Arkham earlier than I would that.

1 hour ago, PavillionDweller said:

Like some have said, I'm more inclined to think the D2C is DC based due to the Bugle having just come out this year and the D2C Hulkbuster coming. With that though, wouldn't surprise me if Lego's going all in on Marvel at this point.

DC got Tumbler D2C this year and based on past three years will get a similar D2C in November 2022 (too early to confirm that though). Based on that either DC or Marvel will get 2 D2Cs next year

5 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

DC fans always taking Ls. Marvel is probably getting 2 D2Cs next year, while DC is getting none.

We'll be lucky if we get any more sets next year at all. Please LEGO, give us sets fro Black Adam, The Flash and Aquaman. That's all I care about.

The more I think about the value of the set $500, it has to be a big name,  Batman and arkham asylum line up perfectly with this.  

Lego would be silly not to jump on the flash, Black Adam and Aquaman movies.  

The suspense is killing me! 

3 hours ago, upliftingbricks said:

DC got Tumbler D2C this year and based on past three years will get a similar D2C in November 2022 (too early to confirm that though). Based on that either DC or Marvel will get 2 D2Cs next year

Yeah, speculated further down that this would in that case be DC's D2C for 2022 and break that trend, if only because... How many more bat-vehicles can Lego make (note, that they picture mainstream consumers are willing to buy; I can definitely imagine a D2C Batboat just because)? To expand on my original thought though: If the Bugle will end up having a two year, introducing another tall Marvel building (most likely based on the MCU too) halfway into its lifespan has a possibility to hurt sales. It works for the Modular Building line where you might buy the latest one, love it, and go back to buy some of the older sets, but two of those doesn't even reach a $500 price tag, never mind $800. It depends whether or not Lego thought, some time prior to the Bugle if the timeline of 12-18 months for creating a set is correct, that the market is there for Marvel to become more like Star Wars D2C-wise. I think an AA would fit, as a possibility, if Lego however wants to move away from the yearly bat-vehicles.

It's all just my own speculation picture things through the lens of capitalism though. Can't deny that there's some bias too;for years  I've been wanting nothing more from the DC subtheme than a proper looking Arkham Asylum. :tongue:

6 hours ago, PavillionDweller said:

There is that thought in the back of my head however: What would be a DC version of the Daily Bugle set, main hero with their variant team versus their big rogues gallery at an iconic, gorgeous building (that could easily be repurposed in a Lego city) designed to fit the modular buildstyle?

The Daily Planet, of course!

I know it's not likely, but the thought kept coming into my head when I was building the Daily Bugle. It would fit into any city display well, yet still have that iconic golden globe on top. The Planet has plenty of well-known characters (Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Perry White) and could supplement its cast with various members of the Superfamily. Throw in some classic villains like Zod and Brainiac and you're set.

Realistically, it would be too similar to the Bugle to come out alongside it, and unfortunately it's not Batman themed so that's also another knock against it coming true. But it just seems like the perfect idea for a DC D2C. Like Stark Tower, it's an idea I've had since the launch of the Superheroes themes and I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

37 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

The Daily Planet, of course!

I know it's not likely, but the thought kept coming into my head when I was building the Daily Bugle. It would fit into any city display well, yet still have that iconic golden globe on top. The Planet has plenty of well-known characters (Clark Kent, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Perry White) and could supplement its cast with various members of the Superfamily. Throw in some classic villains like Zod and Brainiac and you're set.

Realistically, it would be too similar to the Bugle to come out alongside it, and unfortunately it's not Batman themed so that's also another knock against it coming true. But it just seems like the perfect idea for a DC D2C. Like Stark Tower, it's an idea I've had since the launch of the Superheroes themes and I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

... I pictured the Bugle set with the golden planet on top and now I can't not prefer that. I'm neither well-versed in the Superman mythos or a big fan of the design for the Bugle (minority, I know :innocent:), but that just makes more sense to me. Somehow.

I went on a whole rant analysing what the early DCEU meant for Superman today here, but I'll just summarize it to spare you :laugh_hard:: There is an unholy amount of untapped potential for Lego DC sets and, based on recent years output from Lego, it sucks that the public interest likely isn't there for it. :/

At $500, it has to be one of Spider-Man, Batman, or Avengers. LEGO won't take a chance on anything outside of those three at that price point. I highly doubt a Daily Planet, Hall of Justice, or any sort of non-Batmobile vehicle could command that price from enough consumers. With the still recently released Bugle selling well, I suspect they'll stay away from Spider-Man and will instead want to to get the same customers to double-dip for the world's other most popular superhero and do an Arkham Asylum.

As has been mentioned, the Asylum is easy enough to leave up to designer interpretation, is great for lots of little easter eggs like the Bugle had, and provides a good reason to have as many (if not more) mini-figs than the Bugle had. I could maybe see a Batcave, but it would have to be below Wayne Manor as I don't see LEGO returning to a modular design like the '66 Batcave at that price point. Plus, the Batcave is tough to do justice as it doesn't really lend itself all that well to recreation outside of drawings. 

Avenger's Tower is the wildcard here, but there's already a Marvel D2C slated for 2022 (and I think Avengers Tower would be comically tall at that price point unless it's also very wide) and we've pretty much hit the end of the road on annual bat-vehicles. Lego is going to have to switch the Batman D2C's to more building-based sets I think.

If its DC, I concur the most likely things are Arkham or some sort of big Batcave/Wayne Manor set.

I think DC is more likely than Marvel though given they just released the Bugle this year as a big expensive Marvel d2c that will still be on shelves through 2022.

Would GCPD be popular enough to sell at that price?

Wayne tower maybe (the one from the Dark Knight films) especially with all the labs and gear from the films) but GCPD, I just can't see it being popular enough.

Man, the scope for a System scale DC set is vast. Assuming that’s what it is, for the price it would have to be immense in size, or more than one building. There's also the possibility of padding out any of the superhero ‘families’ as well as rogues galleries. If the Bugle is any reflection, there’s also room for some non-powered peeps as well. At that price there’s room for a big fig. Of course it could be some blah Marvel build, but I’m not giving up just yet.

Funnily enough the largest set I owned was Arkham for a long time, and honestly I think it is most likely choice if it ends up being a DC system scale set, and if it were then the most expensive set I own would once again be Arkham. I mean batman has the best and most iconic Rouge's gallery out of all superheroes and Arkham is the perfect place to put them ( hell it doesn't just have to be the ones that make sense, Catwoman came with the tlbm Arkham after all, I'm sure they could stick her and Ra's in a d2c Arkham. Maybe even some of the more obscure batfam members like Duke Thomas.

Regardless of the d3c we still have a set or something with Klarion right? Separate from the guy Gardiner in the book.

Val-Zod will be the minifigure in the next encyclopedia, pictures are already out.

That's such a nice surprise, and he looks so good :wub:

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

That Val-Zod looks brilliant. I’m going to buy it anyway, but I’m very happy with that. I felt the JSA needed boosting the other day.

Well, isn't this is a surprise. I was kind of hoping that we'd end up getting Guy Gardner, but Val is a unique choice that no one saw coming (probably with the recent Michael B. Jordan series being announced). Ironically, I think I might end up getting two copies of him so that I can use the spare for fixing up some Marvel figures, namely Blade with that hair, and Robbie Robertson with that new face.

That Val-Zod looks great! Happy to see that they’re making good use of the Falcon Cap hair. I friggin hate the one hole cape, though. Hate that it’s become the regular cape for minifigures.

The book is coming 3rd May and mentions Klarion as a minifigure so I think we will get regular DC sets before summer.

The 1966 Batmobile came out this year on 26th April and information only leaked about it 2-4 weeks prior to set release so maybe April releases?

Edited by Anonknee Muss