Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

That $40 Tumbler is incredible. I’ve really been enjoying these smaller-scale vehicles and can’t wait to eventually incorporate them into a Batcave build! I’m still holding out hope that they make a UCS 60’s Batmobile to go along with the smaller scale one they dropped this year, though. 

the new UCS Tumbler… eh. It’s not a big enough improvement, I was hoping for something much smoother in design. The proportions do look better, but honestly I’m more inclined to just modify my old one based on the new one, get some of the parts I’m missing and keep going with my own modifications to modernize it. 

I guess me and my removable Batpod fantasies were too far fetched…

I honestly don't understand the logic for making exclusive figures for comiccon.

I mean it's a tradition and I dunno gathers interest but why not release them as promo figures after that? There is a demand for them.

Like why pay the cost of designing new prints and making new slots in the machine (like the designer said)

Just for one-offs? Why not make use of the prints by recycling them in sets?

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

I honestly don't understand the logic for making exclusive figures for comiccon.

I mean it's a tradition and I dunno gathers interest but why not release them as promo figures after that? There is a demand for them.

I completely agree! Not to mention it pisses off 99.99% of LEGO’s customer base.

2 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Pretty much 99/100 fans get really pissed off whenever a new SDCC set or figure is revealed, just goes to show how out of touch LEGO is with their fanbases. 

Speaking of pissing people off, what are the chances of Lego making another exclusive figure for DC FanDome this year, as well as an exclusive set that'll only be available for the US? If they do, I have a feeling it's going to be something related to The Batman since it's the next movie in line like how last year's set was a tie-in for Wonder Woman 1984.

And because I'm obsessed with the movie, I'm going to have to deal with scalpers and their insane prices on eBay in order to get it thanks to Lego's mindset of thinking only people in the United States would want a set like that instead of making it a worldwide release.

4 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

Speaking of pissing people off, what are the chances of Lego making another exclusive figure for DC FanDome this year, as well as an exclusive set that'll only be available for the US?

That's why i brought up this discussion 

If they go want to tie in the set for the batman, I'm betting it will be a dec 27 cover diorama, riddler 1st app diorama, or the batman movie diorama (and of they do go this route I think they will reuse the figures still)

Peacemaker releases in jan but dunno about that

Fairly sure the minifig will be cw batwoman or superman. Heck, could be flash since the show is ending

Edited by thephantasm

53 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

Speaking of pissing people off, what are the chances of Lego making another exclusive figure for DC FanDome this year, as well as an exclusive set that'll only be available for the US? If they do, I have a feeling it's going to be something related to The Batman since it's the next movie in line like how last year's set was a tie-in for Wonder Woman 1984.

I'm confused by your post here. What set are you talking about, the classic Wonder Woman vs Cheetah set? In my opinion that's the best possible kind of con-exclusive, like the Superman green car one: no exclusive figures, actually related to comics, a nice novelty that's nothing amazing.

Variants of existing figures or somewhat niche ones like the CW series figures also seem ok to me, since they don't create a gaping hole in any regular person's DC minifigure lineup. It's when they do broadly desirable figures that only ever appear at cons that's really the worst, though I can think of more Marvel examples than DC: The Collector, Phoenix, Spider-Woman.

Also I doubt the "only so many boxes in the warehouse" thing applies to tiny run figures. They can make all of these in one go and cart them off to another place to go in their blister packs, not put them in one of the regular boxes in the warehouse.

2 hours ago, thephantasm said:

That's why i brought up this discussion 

If they go want to tie in the set for the batman, I'm betting it will be a dec 27 cover diorama, riddler 1st app diorama, or the batman movie diorama (and of they do go this route I think they will reuse the figures still)

Peacemaker releases in jan but dunno about that

Fairly sure the minifig will be cw batwoman or superman. Heck, could be flash since the show is ending

watch the exclusive con minifigure be Peacemaker

In my opinion ComicCon exclusives are usually okay.

I mean there are 3 sets types that I am okay with, and 2 that I am not okay with:

Ones that I am okay with would be Brickheadz, sets that include minifigures that aren't exclusive (or at least none of their parts are, I mean that they have no exclusive prints) and minifigures that we wouldn't even care about (like Sheriff Deadpool).

Ones that I'm not okay with are sets that include exclusive minfigures that aren't released later, like the Black Widow set. Not only does it include a new variant of Black Widow, but a whole new character too. Same happened with Captain Marvel but at least they released the blue suit later as a polybag. The other one would be desirable minifigs - Symbiote Spider-Man, Barbara from Stranger Things, or PS Spider-Man.

3 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm confused by your post here. What set are you talking about, the classic Wonder Woman vs Cheetah set? In my opinion that's the best possible kind of con-exclusive, like the Superman green car one: no exclusive figures, actually related to comics, a nice novelty that's nothing amazing.

Whoops, should've been more clear in my post. Yeah, I was referring to the classic Wonder Woman vs Cheetah set. I brought it up because it reminded me of the SDCC 2019 "Dark Knight of Gotham City" set that was the same thing with not containing any exclusive figures, was a little diorama build, and the only things exclusive about it were a single tile piece and the box.

But strangly enough, that set goes for minimum $300 on eBay while the Wonder Woman FanDome set is still at a much more reasonable price of around $40-50. I guess I'm just a little pessimistic that if the FanDome exclusive is something Batman related this year, it's going to go for a much higher price than the Wonder Woman set from scalpers.

I've been less annoyed about con exclusives as the years have gone on. Back when GL was exclusive that was pretty much unforgivable. Shazam was nearly as bad and I'm still waiting on a regular release Bizarro (Mighty Micros doesn't count). But as they've moved onto CW based exclusives for DC I really don't care. Sure, Vixen, Roy, and Black Lightning should be released in comic book versions but I don't care that much about these specific figures. Now after 10 years of these things though the only figure I can say that I *really* wish I had a chance to get was the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh!

I'd agree that the Marvel ones have historically been worse: Symbiote Spidey, Phoenix, Spider-Woman, and the Collector were all terrible choices. But even then they have moved into niche Captain America, Deadpool, and Spider-Man variants so I care even less than I do about the DC. (But I have a 2012 Deadpool so maybe that helps. :P )

2 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

Whoops, should've been more clear in my post. Yeah, I was referring to the classic Wonder Woman vs Cheetah set. I brought it up because it reminded me of the SDCC 2019 "Dark Knight of Gotham City" set that was the same thing with not containing any exclusive figures, was a little diorama build, and the only things exclusive about it were a single tile piece and the box.

But strangly enough, that set goes for minimum $300 on eBay while the Wonder Woman FanDome set is still at a much more reasonable price of around $40-50. I guess I'm just a little pessimistic that if the FanDome exclusive is something Batman related this year, it's going to go for a much higher price than the Wonder Woman set from scalpers.

I think that the WW set is probably cheaper because it was available on S@H in the US during FanDome, rather than being limited to a convention center for a few days?

1 hour ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

I think that the WW set is probably cheaper because it was available on S@H in the US during FanDome, rather than being limited to a convention center for a few days?

That...could also explain why.

I just rewatched the Tim Burton Batman movies a couple weeks ago and I really hope we get a minifig-scaled Batmobile set with The Flash next year. One that’s not a limited promo.

As for The Tumblers, the big D2C looks kinda boring to me besides the figures. The minifigure scaled one, however, looks great! I like how they reprinted the classic 2012 Batman face here and also included that demon head as a nice bonus. Scarecrow looks nice as well and the build looks fantastic. Very detailed build that’ll look great on display. This will look good on a shelf with my 2019 Batmobile and the ‘66 one that I still haven’t ever seen in person.

10 hours ago, PGBQW said:

watch the exclusive con minifigure be Peacemaker

Could they? I feel he'd require a new piece for his helmet, then again I could entirely see them shunting off any DC characters based on the not so kid friendly properties as convention exclusives

Damn these new Batman sets are amazing, obviously it would have been nice to see 1 or 2 more figures in the 40 dollar tumbler set such as Gordon for example but I am okay with it. UCS tumbler is really good as well

good job lego

I think I'll pick up that $30 (or $40?) Tumbler set. I love Batman Begins.

I also hope Lego makes a DC Minifigures Series 2... now that they've made a Marvel series, maybe they'll circle back around to DC? I liked the first series because we got several new characters adapted from the comics, some of which were a little obscure.

I started thinking about what a second wave would look like, and that got me to thinking about the first wave and what Lego's marketing strategy was behind the selection of each character. They always want to coincide their licensed sets with media releases, even if the minfigures they include in the sets aren't direct adaptations from films and TV (for DC and Marvel sets, anyway) How else would we have gotten Katana in 2016 if not for Suicide Squad?) Here's my theory behind the first lineup. There are recurring themes I'm sure plenty of other folks have noticed.

Batman (first appearance) - mainstay character

Wonder Woman (first appearance) - mainstay character, Wonder Woman 1984 release

Superman - mainstay character, Rebirth comic launch

The Joker -  mainstay character, capitalizes on the popularity of TDKR

Huntress - Rebirth comic launch

Cheetah - nod to Wonder Woman 1984 release

Aquaman - mainstay character release

Bat-Mite - this isn't science and I have no idea other than the fact that campy characters translate well into Lego

Bumblebee - nod to DC Super Hero Girls, "diversity checkbox"

Cyborg - mainstay character, "diversity checkbox"

The Flash (Jay Garrick) - mainstay character

Green Lantern (Simon Baz) - mainstay character, "diversity checkbox"

Metamorpho - idk

Mister Miracle - also idk

Sinestro - mainstay character

Stargirl - Stargirl TV series release

Of course, all of the above choices probably appealed to comic fans to varying degrees, so there's that reason alone behind each. Obviously I've given this topic too much thought...anyway, here's my proposal for a series two, using similar logic. I also kept in mind that Lego likes to have reoccurring themes from one CMS wave to the next (e.g., figures in animal costumes).

1. Superman (first appearance) - mainstay character, thematic carryover from previous classic JL member iterations

2. Batman (The Dark Knight Returns) - mainstay character, compliments Joker from first wave

3. Wonder Woman (Rebirth) - mainstay character, thematic carryover from first wave

4. Mad Hatter - (it's about time) could build off nostalgia for the Lego Batman games

5. Lois Lane (comics) - mainstay character (also about time)

6. The Flash (Wally West) - mainstay character, nod to The Flash movie release

7. Black Adam - nod to Black Atom movie release

8. Green Lantern (Allen Scott) - mainstay character, thematic carryover from previous classic JL member iterations

9. Atrocitus - GL villain, nod to recurring Lego game and movie appearances?

10. Mr. Mxyzptlk - compliments Bat-Mite from first wave

11. The Riddler (first appearance) - nod to The Batman movie release

12. Zatanna - mostly just my preference, but could coincide with Justice League Dark or whatever end up releasing in the near future

13. Big Barda - compliments Mr. Miracle from first wave

14. Aquaman (first appearance or Super Friends iterations) - mainstay character, thematic carryover from previous classic JL member iterations, nod to Aquaman 2 release

15. Black Lightning - because Comic Con exclusives suck

16. Artemis/Tigress or Miss Martian - nod to Young Justice Phantoms release

Again, I'll reiterate that I've put too much thought into this.

13 minutes ago, CNF said:

Huntress - Rebirth comic launch

Also I feel like they included her because of the Birds of Prey movie that came out at the same time this series was out.

28 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

Also I feel like they included her because of the Birds of Prey movie that came out at the same time this series was out.

Oh yeah! Good point. I thought about that but forgot to include it.

@CNF some of the characters were put in because they haven’t had a sensible place for them in a set, and the variants were there because they wanted to include the character, but not as they regularly appear. Having said that, the series was an opportunity to complete the OG lineup of the Legion of Super Heroes, and with the existence of the Darkseid bigfig and Parademons, they’ve had plenty of time to conceive a Fourth World set. I am glad that they’ve started the JSA, but I’m enough of a realist to know that they are unlikely to complete it.

Looking at the UCS Tumbler preorder page at Lego.com, I am really tempted. I did not get previous Tumbler, so I would like to have UCS and smaller one, like the 1989 versions. BUT what I wonder about - what are the chances for a gwp with ucs this year? 

Man, I watched Batman Begins last night for the first time in a while and I'm super excited for the smaller Tumbler now.  I might even pre-order it!  I think the only thing I would change is including Rachel as a figure.  Since it's based on Batman Begins, she's pretty much the only character that would fit with both Batman and Scarecrow besides Gordon (Fox would be cool but wasn't in any scenes with the black Tumbler).  While Ra's Al Ghul would be a nice figure, he's probably a bit less exciting since he's just a guy in a suit.  Rachel, however, would be perfect, since the set actually fits two figures and Rachel was in multiple scenes with both Batman and Scarecrow.  However, that's really my only complaint, everything else about the set looks great.

I hope lego makes the batpod. I couldn't figure out how to incorporate the rotating mechanism without the build becoming unstable