Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, RedHoodPug said:

What’s more disappointing is that this film is going to be better than the first, which spawned tie-in sets.

Undoubtedly. The issue I see here is that the new film is R-rated and the 2016 one wasn’t. Even purely comic-inspired tie-in sets may have been somewhat iffy, which is probably the same reason Deadpool hasn’t shown up in any sets since his theatrical debut (SDCC exclusives notwithstanding). 

It is not unreasonable to assume that even an indirect tie-in may be perceived as a way to advertise the new film to kids, which could cause some controversies. Remember the Karens complaining about Deadpool 1 & 2 or Sausage Party not being kid-friendly to the point managers had to put up big “NOT FOR KIDS” signs? :laugh_hard:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Undoubtedly. The issue I see here is that the new film is R-rated and the 2016 one wasn’t. Even purely comic-inspired tie-in sets may have been somewhat iffy, which is probably the same reason Deadpool hasn’t shown up in any sets since his theatrical debut (SDCC exclusives notwithstanding). 

It is not unreasonable to assume that even an indirect tie-in may be perceived as a way to advertise the new film to kids, which could cause some controversies. Remember the Karens complaining about Deadpool 1 & 2 or Sausage Party not being kid-friendly to the point managers had to put up big “NOT FOR KIDS” signs? :laugh_hard:

Oh yeah, and I don’t blame Gunn for ramping up the er, excitement levels at all. The name is also a roadblock, unless it was marketed under the Task Force X name. A big, balls to the wall set with the Squad up against the big bad would be the jewel in my collection though.

I used to work in an auction and once I came across a 1979 Kenner action figure of the alien from Alien. Apparently no one at Kenner wondered why the toy rights to this particular franchise were so cheap, and were ultimately disappointed that sales were very low. They’re pricey things now. I digress.

It would be interesting to know how sales of DC vs. Star Wars vs. Harry Potter vs. Marvel vs. Whatever have been over the years.

Are box office or other toy sales an indicator of market appeal for DC LEGO sets?

Photos of the "Batfleck" batbike are showing up from the Flash filming here in Scotland.  They've gone for a style very reminiscent of the White Knight batbike.  I can't help but think it would make a really great LEGO set, with the built-up front end.  A brick built bike set....if only we were getting sets for the film.

With the leaks of the new Marvel sets I have a fantastic find that has me very excited for these sets to hit shelves. Often DC characters don’t have detailing and I need to borrow hairpieces and legs of other characters, and this new Marvel wave is proving to have some useful pieces. The legs on Spidey in 76184 are PERFECT for Batwoman !! They even have the little indent on the boots that looks like the Bat signal. Its absolutely perfect for Batwoman I can’t wait till I can pick it up and swap her legs

18 minutes ago, scottypavarotti said:

Photos of the "Batfleck" batbike are showing up from the Flash filming here in Scotland.  They've gone for a style very reminiscent of the White Knight batbike.  I can't help but think it would make a really great LEGO set, with the built-up front end.  A brick built bike set....if only we were getting sets for the film.

Very white knight inspired. Well the designers did say the more movies the more chance of movie sets and ties in sets.  Next year is a big year for Batman.  I would be very surprised if Lego did not capture any sets for the Flash movie with its Bat vehicles and range of characters. 

2022 set rumours usually begin in the next few months. 

Also the 89 Batman comic release has a new batbike!

So many wonderful toys!

#The Batman is coming. 

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

With the leaks of the new Marvel sets I have a fantastic find that has me very excited for these sets to hit shelves. Often DC characters don’t have detailing and I need to borrow hairpieces and legs of other characters, and this new Marvel wave is proving to have some useful pieces. The legs on Spidey in 76184 are PERFECT for Batwoman !! They even have the little indent on the boots that looks like the Bat signal. Its absolutely perfect for Batwoman I can’t wait till I can pick it up and swap her legs

I had this thought too. I’m also going to have to splash out on a few others for further purist mods.

5 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

Those legs might also look nice on Red Hood. Somebody please flood BrickLink with cheap Bosco Spideys. :tongue:

I mean the set is a cheap $20 (although I fee it should be $10 or $15) so I imagine the figure will be affordable on Bricklink while the set is fresh.

Speaking of useful reusable pieces I feel like Lego still needs more solid red hair pieces. Some of the few options are for friends and don’t translate well on minifigures and I feel we have a limited repertoire of red hairpieces. I personally think Belle (mini doll) and Vicky (friends mini doll) have hair pieces that would look good on a mini figure and would be useful in red. In general I think Lego still has some work to do for long flowy hair moulds. Many of the friends designs don’t work for figures, many moulds are outdated and many silhouettes are repetitive (Sally’s hair and Lucius Malfoys hair, Captain Marvel’s hair and Ms Steven‘s hair etc) or only work in certain contexts. So yeah, new long hair moulds and recoloring of existing hair moulds in red is a random need I felt like expressing lol.

god I hope we get comic sets next year

Edit: I could also see Mysterio’s legs in that set being useful for Lex Luthor

Edited by cosmic

I could see Mysterio's entire body being useful for Lex with the right armor hiding part of the torso. He has had golden warsuits before. Good idea there! There isn't much in that set which is valuable aside from the minifigures though. I can see them going for a lot, but fingers crossed. :sceptic:

I love getting bright red hair. I think Mia's hair also looks pretty good on minifigures personally. I'm using it for Mera right now with a tiara piece. Vicky's would also be nice though. Legend says it was originally designed for the cancelled Starfire minidoll. I think that there is a decent selection of red hair for female characters (Firestar's is on BnP!) but I think the only option for males are the sleepyhead hair from Everyone is Awesome, the afro, and a couple of mohawks.

6366710.jpg6254473.jpg6232989.jpg6343473.jpg4551223.jpg6251145.jpg6215544.jpg6185115.jpg6350648.jpg6175222.jpg4661509.jpg6176405.jpg4566278.jpg6150529.jpg6055639.jpg

Yellow has the opposite problem. The skater, Mutt, Emmet, and Cav-El hair all come in yellow but I don't think that there are any good options for female characters out there unless they have dreads or a bowl cut. I'd even take the overused Elsa Schneider hair in this color, just to see how it looks on Supergirl and Black Canary (or maybe a custom Jesse Quick).

6262020.jpg6093523.jpg6186033.jpg6254676.jpg6366712.jpg6105762.jpg

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

14 minutes ago, Brick Cucumber said:

We got a DC CMF last year. I'm not overly mad about it.

Fingers crossed for a DC CMF Series 2 though

I think it's more how Marvel gets a CMF and sets for the current shows and Movie sets that go back and look at previous films. We get... one new Batman in a character pack (which yes, I like, but is hardly news considering how many dozens of Batman "normal" variants we have by now) and a new '60s Batman and Joker, both of which were represented before (Joker extremely similarly, whereas at least Batman has a different color, which matches some of the other lighting), and a handful of other sets we still haven't seen that are also Batman, after a year of almost entirely Batman. 

It's really hard not to feel like our theme isn't being strangled to death slowly.

22 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

I could see Mysterio's entire body being useful for Lex with the right armor hiding part of the torso. He has had golden warsuits before. Good idea there! There isn't much in that set which is valuable aside from the minifigures though. I can see them going for a lot, but fingers crossed. :sceptic:

I love getting bright red hair. I think Mia's hair also looks pretty good on minifigures personally. I'm using it for Mera right now with a tiara piece. Vicky's would also be nice though. Legend says it was originally designed for the cancelled Starfire minidoll. I think that there is a decent selection of red hair for female characters (Firestar's is on BnP!) but I think the only option for males are the sleepyhead hair from Everyone is Awesome, the afro, and a couple of mohawks.

Yellow has the opposite problem. The skater, Mutt, Emmet, and Cav-El hair all come in yellow but I don't think that there are any good options for female characters out there unless they have dreads or a bowl cut. I'd even take the overused Elsa Schneider hair in this color, just to see how it looks on Supergirl and Black Canary (or maybe a custom Jesse Quick).

True, the entire suit could easily be repurposed in different ways to fit Lex. But the Legs in particular really stood out to me. I agree the set could be a little cheaper and has a boring build but for $20 you could sell Nick Fury online and make something of that, the parts for the car and drone can be useful if your an avid mocer, and all figures have useful prints. It definitely has some value.

As for the hair I’m not sure I agree with this. While blonde certainly has less than brunette or black hair, we’ve certainly gotten our fair share of blonde hair pieces. The trend setter has a very useful piece I’ve always wanted to use for Supergirl, Not to mention that nice piece used on the woman in TLBM Clayface set, Lucius Malfoys hair, and the hair on Princess Vania could all be useful. Even Elsa’s new piece could be used. I think Red is certainly the color with the most limiting options and I hope we see some nuce new slick flowy long moulds more akin to Vicky’s hair from friends, I would have loved for that to have come in red for Starfire I would have loved that. Hope they repurpose that specific piece eventually.

15 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I think this sums up the year for us DC fans:

www.instagram.com/stories/penplaysinsta/2627225844726578490/

Hopefully our time will come next year.

I want to not be mad. But I’m certainly jealous. And for some ridiculous reason, hopeful.

15 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

We got a DC CMF last year. I'm not overly mad about it.

Couldn’t agree more. As much as I’d love to see Green Lantern comic sets and comic Teen Titans sets it seems that’s not happening anytime soon so the cmf series is the best way to get several characters I’m really excited for. I want so much I know even a second cmf wave won’t satisfy everything but it would be a step in the right direction.

Edited by cosmic

4 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I think this sums up the year for us DC fans:

www.instagram.com/stories/penplaysinsta/2627225844726578490/

Hopefully our time will come next year.

Eh, for me it's practically been the same with the Marvel side since they throw all attention to the MCU and leave the comic sets/characters to drown. Look at all the figures here, the only focus is on the MCU. Might be an unpopular opinion but I've always preferred the comics to the MCU, and as much as people rag on the DC theme for only doing Batman sets, the Marvel theme has just been the "MCU/Avengers/Spider-Man" theme. If it was really supposed to be about Marvel Super Heroes, there should've been a comic set with the Fantastic Four by now (since Marvel/Disney cleared up that whole issue of no F4 merchandise between 2015-2018 due to Fox and the movie rights), or another X-Men set instead of the last one being released all the way back in 2014. For a good 90% of the theme's lifespan, if it's not MCU or Spider-Man related, getting a comic version of a character is almost never going to happen or you're just going to have to hope that the movies introduce their version soon so that the subsequent comic variant will follow. It really should not have taken almost a decade to finally get Daredevil/Black Cat/Punisher, characters that should have been in a comic based set YEARS ago. But luckily they were Spider-Man affiliated characters so they got their moment with the Bugle. When there first was news about Lego finally making a CMF series about Marvel, I was hoping that it would be comic based just like the DC CMF series since Lego already places so much focus on the MCU, at least give the comic fans this much since it's unlikely that any of those characters would show up as figures in a regular set. But nope, MCU and MCU only, I'd feel the same if the DC CMF's were based on the DCEU instead of the comics.

I know the Spider-Man sets take inspiration from the comics as well as the PS4 game and even the terrible Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon during the beginning of the theme until 2015, but there's always a caveat of getting a stupid vehicle included with it. The Daily Bugle is the first Spider-Man set I've bought in 5 years since the amazing (pun intended) Summer 2016 wave with the three sets that gave us classic Spider-Man villain designs, and for once it actually felt like a Spider-Man type of set with no Spider-Copter/Trike/whatever shoved in it. Give the Baxter Building that treatment, and I'll gladly throw down another $400 again. 

Okay, rant over.

Edited by TheBatstan

9 hours ago, Brick Cucumber said:

Wouldn‘t bet on that, the first one didn‘t do so well apparently :shrug_confused: And even if it did, yearly follow-up series aren‘t a thing any more by the looks of it

4 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

But nope, MCU and MCU only […]

If I had the choice between a multibillion dollar franchise and an industry on the verge of death, I know what I would go for :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

5 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

Eh, for me it's practically been the same with the Marvel side since they throw all attention to the MCU and leave the comic sets/characters to drown. Look at all the figures here, the only focus is on the MCU. Might be an unpopular opinion but I've always preferred the comics to the MCU, and as much as people rag on the DC theme for only doing Batman sets, the Marvel theme has just been the "MCU/Avengers/Spider-Man" theme. If it was really supposed to be about Marvel Super Heroes, there should've been a comic set with the Fantastic Four by now (since Marvel/Disney cleared up that whole issue of no F4 merchandise between 2015-2018 due to Fox and the movie rights), or another X-Men set instead of the last one being released all the way back in 2014. For a good 90% of the theme's lifespan, if it's not MCU or Spider-Man related, getting a comic version of a character is almost never going to happen or you're just going to have to hope that the movies introduce their version soon so that the subsequent comic variant will follow. It really should not have taken almost a decade to finally get Daredevil/Black Cat/Punisher, characters that should have been in a comic based set YEARS ago. But luckily they were Spider-Man affiliated characters so they got their moment with the Bugle. When there first was news about Lego finally making a CMF series about Marvel, I was hoping that it would be comic based just like the DC CMF series since Lego already places so much focus on the MCU, at least give the comic fans this much since it's unlikely that any of those characters would show up as figures in a regular set. But nope, MCU and MCU only, I'd feel the same if the DC CMF's were based on the DCEU instead of the comics.

I know the Spider-Man sets take inspiration from the comics as well as the PS4 game and even the terrible Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon during the beginning of the theme until 2015, but there's always a caveat of getting a stupid vehicle included with it. The Daily Bugle is the first Spider-Man set I've bought in 5 years since the amazing (pun intended) Summer 2016 wave with the three sets that gave us classic Spider-Man villain designs, and for once it actually felt like a Spider-Man type of set with no Spider-Copter/Trike/whatever shoved in it. Give the Baxter Building that treatment, and I'll gladly throw down another $400 again. 

Okay, rant over.

Because MCU sells MUCH better than comics sets. What do you expect a business company to do?

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Because MCU sells MUCH better than comics sets. What do you expect a business company to do?

Maybe give the comic sets a little more appreciation since that's without them the movies wouldn't even be possible? That's all I'm pretty much asking at this point. I mean, the Bugle is a comic set and it's back to being Sold Out again on Shop@Home. 

But I get it, a business company looks at what sells, and MCU anything can sell at this point.

Edited by TheBatstan

1 hour ago, TheBatstan said:

Maybe give the comic sets a little more appreciation since that's without them the movies wouldn't even be possible? That's all I'm pretty much asking at this point. I mean, the Bugle is a comic set and it's back to being Sold Out again on Shop@Home. 

But I get it, a business company looks at what sells, and MCU anything can sell at this point.

They've already made so many comics sets tho. It's not their responsibility to make more of them just because movies are based on them.

2 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

Man they should do sets inspired by the strongmen from the 1930's, without them comic books wouldn't be even possible

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Wouldn‘t bet on that, the first one didn‘t do so well apparently :shrug_confused: And even if it did, yearly follow-up series aren‘t a thing any more by the looks of it

If I had the choice between a multibillion dollar franchise and an industry on the verge of death, I know what I would go for :tongue:

I wouldn’t say yearly follow up series are no longer a thing. Between regular series and competing slots for the licensed series waves we likely haven’t been able to get around to giving DC series 2, Disney Series 3, and Harry Potter Series 3. But have they ever really been annual? I feel like follow up series don’t follow a set schedule and even if they have I wouldn’t count out seeing more in the near future. I definitely think Disney will get a third series, unsure if Harry Potter even needs it and I have my mind open to the idea of DC getting a second series. But all in due time we’ll see how that plays out. 

2 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Man they should do sets inspired by the strongmen from the 1930's, without them comic books wouldn't be even possible

Sarcasm detected

5 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

I see where you’re coming from but I also see where @THELEGOBATMAN is coming from. I count the Square Enix sets as comic based and would consider that a recent example of non Spidey centered comic material. The Bugle is also a useful addition for that. I agree that they focus too much on Spidey and considering he gets MCU and comic sets, it wouldn’t hurt to skip a wave for him and give us comic based designs for other heroes. That said Marvel is doing much better than DC on that (among other things) and based off how much we got this year I can safely say we’ll eventually get around to other properties just maybe not at the pace some would hope for. But DC gets one new figure a year assuming thats a normal year (which this year was not) so I’d say I’m just grateful that Lego Marvel has pumped out so much.

As for the X-Men and F4, we have to wait until their MCU debut in a few years before getting them in comic sets but I’m also anxious about that bc we still haven’t gotten comic Guardians so who knows how long after their MCU debut will the X-Men receive comic sets. But as I said before Marvel does a decent job of paying attention to the comics so there is more hope there than here. Patience my friend.

23 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

If I remember correctly, that was one guy saying it didn’t sell well in 1 store out of all the stores in the world. Series 2 will either be out later in 2022 or 2023. If there is a series 2, which I believe there will be eventually.