Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

18 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

Reading all the enthusiasm in that forum now is a little depressing because we know there was never going to be a 2009 wave, but I would've killed to have gotten figures like Ra's al Ghul, Mad Hatter, or Clayface in the original Batman design style.

One thing that I think is kind of cool about those original sets, too, is that some of the figures almost were their own design, separate from movies or comics.  Like, there were some that were pretty accurate (Bane was pretty accurate, Joker looked a lot like the early 2000s cartoon Joker), but some (Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Riddler) were somewhat different from most portrayals of them, which almost depicted them in a new way.  Some of it was just limitations with pieces, I'm sure, but others were some really cool designs that i think are almost better than some of the other adaptations of them.  I think they still do this, to some extent, but man, those original figure designs are so nostalgic for me.

Potential The Batman spoiler below (in relation to the sets)

Spoiler

The Penguin is only in the film for 9 minutes according to the Actor who portrays him, Colin Ferrell. This means we might not get him in a LEGO set.

2 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Penguin is only in the film for 9 minutes according to the Actor who portrays him, Colin Ferrell. This means we might not get him in a LEGO set.

Mandarin's Flamethrowing Lawnmower wasn't in the film for any minutes and we got that.

2 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mandarin's Flamethrowing Lawnmower wasn't in the film for any minutes and we got that.

Spoiler

In that case, I guess anything could happen :grin: Bat-Dragster anyone?

Edited by Anonknee Muss

9 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

One thing that I think is kind of cool about those original sets, too, is that some of the figures almost were their own design, separate from movies or comics.  Like, there were some that were pretty accurate (Bane was pretty accurate, Joker looked a lot like the early 2000s cartoon Joker), but some (Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Riddler) were somewhat different from most portrayals of them, which almost depicted them in a new way.  Some of it was just limitations with pieces, I'm sure, but others were some really cool designs that i think are almost better than some of the other adaptations of them.  I think they still do this, to some extent, but man, those original figure designs are so nostalgic for me.

I think the original minifigures mainly took inspiration from the comics (like you said with Bane, he looks straight out of the original Knightfall storyline from the 90s), along with some heavy inspiration from Batman: The Animated Series. Off the top of my head with the figures that were based on their appearances in that cartoon:

Two-Face: His black and white suit that originated from the show and his unique hairpiece matching the show's hairstyle with the black/white hair.

Joker: The vampire hair in green and his suit design are an exact match with how he looked in the show.

Harley Quinn: Do I really have to say anything here?

Mr. Freeze: Because of the limitations at the time, Lego couldn't really put a glass dome piece over a minifigure head, so they went with a clear Insectoids helmet that gave off the same effect and looked just as sleek.

But I feel like the others stayed pretty close to their comic designs at the time in the mid-2000s...though I really wouldn't have minded if they gave Riddler a suit instead of wearing a green onesie. Regardless, they're all still incredibly nostalgic to me as well, and I feel like Lego nailed them the first time and have regressed since, especially with Two-Face. It's been 15 years and no one decided to give him the black and white suit color scheme again?

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Hide contents

Well if I can play Devil's Advocate here (this isn't a spoiler since we already saw it in the trailer), Penguin is going to be featured in a chase scene with the Batmobile.

If I were Lego, I'd space out each of the villains in the three sets we'll be getting for the movie so you'd have to buy all 3 to get the complete set of villains. The 76181 set that's going to be $40 definitely sounds like the one that'll include the Batmobile, and since every Batman set needs a villain, there's no perfect set to include a minifigure of Penguin and his car than in that one.

10 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I think they still do this, to some extent, but man, those original figure designs are so nostalgic for me.

They definitely are, but they‘re also VERY outdated and don‘t fit in with the current style at all :purrr: 

Regarding the potential spoiler:

I don‘t think screentime matters at all when it comes to tie-in merchandise. Darth Vader had a screentime of 8 minutes in ANH 

:laugh_hard: 

11 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Regarding the potential spoiler:

Spoiler

Exactly, 9 minutes is a lot of screentime. I read somewhere that Doctor Strange only had about 11 minutes of screentime in Infinity War, and he played a major role. 

Edited by hvader

21 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

you mean golf cart. The only good things to come out of that seat are the heartbreaker armor and the realistic image that one guy created online

22 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

that's more than enough time to get a figure, 9 minutes is a lot more than you think at first. If we're getting three sets, I think he'll probably be in one.

2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

you mean golf cart. The only good things to come out of that seat are the heartbreaker armor and the realistic image that one guy created online

Spoiler

Oh, is that what we call it? Always looked way more like a ride-on lawnmower to me. Anyway, this has nothing to do with DC anymore.

This movie is mainly promoted with 3 characters - Batman, Catwoman and Riddler. But we all know we're getting 3 sets, so who else could we get? 

A 15€ set means around 2 minifigs. A 40€ set is, let's say 3 minifigs, while a 70€ set could have like 5. That means (totally speculating here) around 10 minifigs.

3 of them are definitely Batman, and let's say that there are 2 Catwomen and 2 Riddlers (but it definitely could be less). That leaves us with around 3 remaining minifigs, none of them being repeats. So who else? Bruce Wayne? Alfred? Penguin? Gordon? That definitely seems likely.

My point is, even if Penguin is only in a few scenes, he's still an important character, and one of the most recognisable Batman villains.

If the 40€ set is the Batmobile, I expect it to be based on that scene when he's chasing Penguin, so that's my best guess on where he'd show up.

19 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

3 of them are definitely Batman, and let's say that there are 2 Catwomen and 2 Riddlers (but it definitely could be less). That leaves us with around 3 remaining minifigs, none of them being repeats. So who else? Bruce Wayne? Alfred? Penguin? Gordon? That definitely seems likely.

Definitely hoping we'll get Alfred, Andy Serkis deserves more love. 

7 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Agreed. I wouldn’t mind a third minifig based on one of the many characters he’s played :sweet:

I also hope for a Gordon minifig. Still bummed Simmons’ version never got the minifig treatment (same goes for Irons’ Alfred), so I hope Wright’s does :classic:

52 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

My guesses would be:

15€ set - Batcycle and Catwoman's motorcycle with Batman and Catwoman

40€ set - Batmobile (and maybe Penguin's car) with Batman, Penguin and Gordon (if there's a 4th minifug then either Penguin's henchman or GCPD officer)

70€ set - Batcave (and maybe another Batman vehicle if he has one) with Batman, Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Riddler and Riddler's henchman

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

My guesses would be: *snip*

Pretty safe guesses overall, but I hope you’re right :thumbup:

Too bad we probably won’t see pictures of these sets for a while, unless an intern makes a whoopsie again, like the accidental Eternals reveal :snicker: At first, I was hoping for a SDCC reveal, but since DC and Marvel have both recently announced they skip the event again, I doubt TLG will reveal anything on their own. They had nothing to show last year, so why would this year be any different? :shrug_oh_well:

Maybe at DC Fandome?

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Pretty safe guesses overall, but I hope you’re right :thumbup:

Too bad we probably won’t see pictures of these sets for a while, unless an intern makes a whoopsie again, like the accidental Eternals reveal :snicker: At first, I was hoping for a SDCC reveal, but since DC and Marvel have both recently announced they skip the event again, I doubt TLG will reveal anything on their own. They had nothing to show last year, so why would this year be any different? :shrug_oh_well:

Maybe at DC Fandome?

You know, it seems like it'll be long before we see the sets, but it's actually just a little bit over 5 months till they come out! That means that we may start getting leaks sooner than we think.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

You know, it seems like it'll be long before we see the sets, but it's actually just a little bit over 5 months till they come out! That means that we may start getting leaks sooner than we think.

Agreed. Manufacturing starts 3 months before release. 1st October (ish) is when the sets go into production. Fandome would be perfect for revealing them.

I'm still really surprised the set images never leaked at least once over the past few months. Shang-Chi and Eternals both got heavily pushed back with their release dates as well, and their set images/other merchandise leaked months ago. Meanwhile all we've had for The Batman for nearly the past year has just been 3 set numbers and their prices.

And it's not just the Lego sets, the only other piece of merchandise for the movie that's been released so far is the Hot Wheels model of the Batmobile, WB must really have this stuff locked down. 

Does anyone think we will get Shazam 2 sets? I was super bummed that we didn't get atleast one set based on the first movie 

Also I can't wait to see The Batman Set leaks!!

35 minutes ago, TurnOffTheDark said:

Does anyone think we will get Shazam 2 sets? I was super bummed that we didn't get atleast one set based on the first movie

Considering how well the last film did, it is very likely (but not guaranteed).

So will we be getting unofficial tie-ins for The Suicide Squad like they did in 2016? I'd love a King Shark and Peacemaker. 

3 minutes ago, Stonks Market said:

So will we be getting unofficial tie-ins for The Suicide Squad like they did in 2016? I'd love a King Shark and Peacemaker. 

That'll be a strong no. All comic DC sets are dying off in replacement for Batman's Batmobiles, and bland Batman sets with the same Batman villains.

Its very disappointing because the range of villains in this film could've induced a whole Justice League wave; Superman vs Bloodsport, Batman and Rick Flag vs Ratcatcher and Polka Dot Man, Aquaman vs King Shark, Flash vs Cap Boomerang and Arm Fall Off Boy

28 minutes ago, Stonks Market said:

If we were those would've already been out by now so no.

1 hour ago, Quicksilver838 said:

That'll be a strong no. All comic DC sets are dying off in replacement for Batman's Batmobiles, and bland Batman sets with the same Batman villains.

Its very disappointing because the range of villains in this film could've induced a whole Justice League wave; Superman vs Bloodsport, Batman and Rick Flag vs Ratcatcher and Polka Dot Man, Aquaman vs King Shark, Flash vs Cap Boomerang and Arm Fall Off Boy

You need somewhere for Peacemaker :grin: seriously though this would have been such a good relaunch pad. What’s more disappointing is that this film is going to be better than the first, which spawned tie-in sets. The trouble is I’ve seen the Funkos for this film now, so I know what I want.