Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

In other news, 2 days ago a leaked video for The Flash leaked. Aside from seeing a nebuchadnezzar of new looks at The Flash (golden boots!), Supergirl, and Keaton's Batman, and guess what else was depicted on one of the concept arts - yes, Keaton's Batmobile (there might've also Batwing's interior I think).

It looks so cool and sleek. I'll guess right now - we'll get the new Batmobile as one of The Flash sets.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

In other news, 2 days ago a leaked video for The Flash leaked. Aside from seeing a nebuchadnezzar of new looks at The Flash (golden boots!), Supergirl, and Keaton's Batman, and guess what else was depicted on one of the concept arts - yes, Keaton's Batmobile (there might've also Batwing's interior I think).

It looks so cool and sleek. I'll guess right now - we'll get the new Batmobile as one of The Flash sets.

Funny coincidence, I actually brought up the same thing a few posts back. I think it's a guarantee that Lego will release the Keaton Batmobile again as one of the sets. The GWP version sold out within hours when the UCS 1989 Batmobile came out, and that was a freebie. Imagine how crazy it would sell if they made it a general release set this time. I already modified the GWP version to look more accurate with the details, but I wouldn't say no to buying it again if Lego made some changes.

I'm talking a new windscreen piece (or at the very least a sticker) that gives it the separated window look, being able to fit two minifigures using the Speed Champions two seater base piece, brick built fins instead of the one piece bat fins, changing the side intakes with the barrel pieces to black rather than dark bluish grey, and 1x1 round tile pieces with the silver bat logo printed on them for the hubcaps. Knowing Lego it probably will have stud shooters to represent the machine guns again, but those will be easy to swap out as they were the first time.

Edited by TheBatstan

Lol, didn't notice your post.

Nevertheless, I think a ~40€ set with Flash (in a shiny new outfit), Keaton's Batman, and his Batmobile would become 2022's best seller. 

4 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Does your source for the 2022 sets mention any dc sets besides the batman ones

2 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Does your source for the 2022 sets mention any dc sets besides the batman ones

I don't have as source, I'm not a leaker if that's what you meant. I just collect all the info we have on themes that I care about.

As for the question, nope, there is no info besides 3 The Batman sets.

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

If true, that would mean 2 Batmobiles in 1 year plus the 2 we have this year which would mean 4 on the shelves at the same time. Not to mention LEGO might make a Batmobile to celebrate 10 years of LEGO DC which would bring the grand total to 5 but I’m getting ahead of myself :laugh_hard:

Edited by Anonknee Muss

24 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

If true, that would mean 2 Batmobiles in 1 year plus the 2 we have this year which would mean 4 on the shelves at the same time. Not to mention LEGO might make a Batmobile to celebrate 10 years of LEGO DC which would bring the grand total to 5 but I’m getting ahead of myself :laugh_hard:

Let me put it this way:

Imagine if DC was Star Wars. SW has iconic ships which ALWAYS have to be on shelves, and they get updated before getting off the shelves - X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Millennium Falcon, Slave I, etc.

Now for DC - imagine if all those ships (including "etc.") were replaced by a Batmobile. Not just one Batmobile for all of them- a Batmobile for every single one of those ships.

This is this theme in a nutshell :laugh_hard:

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

32 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Marvel will have 4 very similar large mech sets on shelves by August (+ the smaller $10 ones) so I don't think 4 Batmobiles is where they'd draw the line :tongue:

48 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Devil's Advocate here, it's not like those 4 Batmobiles are all clones of each other. The '66, '89, Tumbler, and Battinson (Pattmobile?) Batmobiles are all vastly different designs from different film incarnations, so there would be a variety of options for people to choose from.

Edited by TheBatstan

31 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Now for DC - imagine if all those ships (including "etc.") were replaced by a Batmobile. Not just one Batmobile for all of them- a Batmobile for every single one of those ships.

This is this theme in a nutshell :laugh_hard:

It’s not entirely fair to compare DC to Star Wars in this regard :tongue: First off, Batmobiles tend to be very different from one another. Having four similarly scaled X-Wings on shelves simultaneously would be pretty silly, four Batmobiles however not so much, given how different and unique they each look and feel. I don’t think anyone would confuse the 60’s Batmobile with the Tumbler or the version seen in The Batman.

Secondly, having a myriad of Batvehicles is part of the appeal. In-universe, Batman does possess a vast array of different vehicles, just look at what the TLBM has thrown at us! Having that represented in LEGO form is pretty enjoyable, at least to a collector like me :shrug_oh_well:

Edit: Ninja’d

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Honestly, I have nothing against it lol. I think all of those Batmobiles are unique enough, and sure, it would be nice to get a much bigger diversity than just Batvehicles, but fir what they are, I like the execution - especially this year with 1966 and Tumbler ones.

47 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It’s not entirely fair to compare DC to Star Wars in this regard :tongue: First off, Batmobiles tend to be very different from one another. Having four similarly scaled X-Wings on shelves simultaneously would be pretty silly, four Batmobiles however not so much, given how different and unique they each look and feel. I don’t think anyone would confuse the 60’s Batmobile with the Tumbler or the version seen in The Batman.

Secondly, having a myriad of Batvehicles is part of the appeal. In-universe, Batman does possess a vast array of different vehicles, just look at what the TLBM has thrown at us! Having that represented in LEGO form is pretty enjoyable, at least to a collector like me :shrug_oh_well:

Edit: Ninja’d

Yeah, that joke might've been confusing tbh. 

I meant it more in a way that Star Wars has a bunch of different ships (X-Wing, Slave I etc.) always on shelves. Meanwhile, DC has a bunch of different Batmobiles on shelves :tongue:

And yeah, they are distinct from each other, but still...

4 hours ago, TheBatstan said:

Devil's Advocate here, it's not like those 4 Batmobiles are all clones of each other. The '66, '89, Tumbler, and Battinson (Pattmobile?) Batmobiles are all vastly different designs from different film incarnations, so there would be a variety of options for people to choose from.

I completely agree, I'd welcome 5 Batmobiles.

4 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Marvel will have 4 very similar large mech sets on shelves by August (+ the smaller $10 ones) so I don't think 4 Batmobiles is where they'd draw the line :tongue:

Good point! You just made my theory sound more plausible :grin:

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The collectibility and creative potential for LEGO Batman is why I like all the Bat-vehicles we get.

I don’t mind Batmobiles so long as thats not the only thing we get out of this theme

Bruh please don't let the first wave be just the batman sets. I'm looking forward to them but I also want a comic set or a cmf

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

Bruh please don't let the first wave be just the batman sets. I'm looking forward to them but I also want a comic set or a cmf

First wave of what? 2022?

On January 1st we'll get 3 The Batman sets, so definitely expect those :tongue:

I'm not sure if they'll want to distract DC buyers with other DC or even Batman sets, so frankly, I'd say we should expect only those 3 sets for January.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

With Black Adam getting a movie, I hope they do an unofficial conic tie in. I doubt it will be good. As for Aquaman 2, first movie looked cheap and felt cringy and misdirected, but had some interesting visuals in certain moments. I really want a comic version of Mera, and didn’t enjoy the first film so also want an unofficial comic tie in. The Flash and Batman can receive sets thats fine, but due to the bad quality of movies it makes more sense to tie characters in in comic based sets than do the movie variants bc its likely that will underperform in some way.

9 hours ago, thephantasm said:

I think its possible. They must have heard all the complaints of this year having no material I would imagine they’d throw us a bone. I just want some new characters with decent print. Bronze Tiger was our most recent addition and he was based on a design that didn’t need leg printing, and Batgirl needed it but didn’t get it. Like if we’re getting repeats and one new guy make them desirable to some degree. It’s been a while since I saw a Dc set that I loved

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

With Black Adam getting a movie, I hope they do an unofficial conic tie in. I doubt it will be good. As for Aquaman 2, first movie looked cheap and felt cringy and misdirected, but had some interesting visuals in certain moments. I really want a comic version of Mera, and didn’t enjoy the first film so also want an unofficial comic tie in. The Flash and Batman can receive sets thats fine, but due to the bad quality of movies it makes more sense to tie characters in in comic based sets than do the movie variants bc its likely that will underperform in some way.

That's such a stupid statement. Just because you didn't like those movies, it doesn't mean that Lego shouldn't do sets based on those. It doesn't make more sense to make comic based sets instead of movie based sets.

Aquaman is DC's highest grossing movie. An AQUAMAN movie beat movies like TDK trilogy, Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. The sequel will do just fine, thank you.

Black Adam is a DC movie with The Rock. Just that fact makes it an instant success.

The Flash is a multiverse movie with a bunch of superheroes, including 1989 Batman. That's also enough to know that it will be a huge success. 

And The Batman is... a Batman movie. One of the 3 most popular super heroes. A billion is guaranteed. 

Why on Earth would they produce comic-based tie-in sets inspired by the films instead of sets directly based on them? :wacko: That only makes sense for films that don’t allow direct tie-ins such as Suicide Squad. It just makes zero sense from a marketing perspective.

I’ve be said it before, but most people, and especially the target audience, don’t give a single megablock about the comics :tongue:

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Why on Earth would they produce comic-based tie-in sets inspired by the films instead of sets directly based on them? :wacko: That only makes sense for films that don’t allow direct tie-ins such as Suicide Squad. It just makes zero sense from a marketing perspective.

I’ve be said it before, but most people, and especially the target audience, don’t give a single megablock about the comics :tongue:

If all of what you say is really true, why did LEGO spend over a decade making primarily non-film-based DC Superheroes sets, including three DC CMF series (yes I'd count the two TLBM series as DC series)? Were kids really not liking all of those sets for years, and LEGO was pouring money down the drain?

Besides for BvS and Justice League and not counting the D2Cs, LEGO has made a maximum of one set per any other DC live action film. Even for the mega successful Aquaman film, they made one set, and after the movie was out they released a set with Ocean Master, but a comics Ocean Master and a Batsub.

Maybe something has changed in a decade, and kids don't recognise DC characters as much as they used to. Perhaps we'll see a real shift, and more sets directly based on the films. Given the way LEGO has handled the DC line in the past, that's far from a sure thing.

42 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

If all of what you say is really true, why did LEGO spend over a decade making primarily non-film-based DC Superheroes sets […]

I should’ve specified that a bit, I meant sets based on specific comics :wink: Most of the 2012-2016 stuff was pretty generic and not based on any particular comic series (as far as I know), and so should appeal to anyone who’s interested in DC. What I meant is if there’s a choice between that type of set and direct movie tie-ins whenever there’s a movie around, they should go for the latter :classic: In years without new movies, it doesn’t matter as much.

Edit: I think a good example is the 2008 Tumbler: I have no idea how well it sold back in the day, but it surely would have fared better if it was a direct movie tie-in rather than a rather generic set with the same old 2006 Joker

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

3 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Oh man just leak the tumbler set already

Leaks probably won’t be necessary, given that a lot of sets that will also be released in October have already been revealed officially :laugh: I wouldn’t be surprised to see it popping up on s@h this week

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

Oh man just leak the tumbler set already

They literally revealed every October set (well, Eternals sets leaked, but by Lego themselves...) except for this one. 

I need to see this! The build will probably be great, but I am just so excited to see which characters they choose, and which Batsuit they go with. 

I am kinda hoping it won't be Joker, I really want Scarecrow and Two-Face, even tho that's a really random combination.

13 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

They literally revealed every October set (well, Eternals sets leaked, but by Lego themselves...) except for this one. 

I need to see this! The build will probably be great, but I am just so excited to see which characters they choose, and which Batsuit they go with. 

I am kinda hoping it won't be Joker, I really want Scarecrow and Two-Face, even tho that's a really random combination.

I have a very strong feeling it will be Joker, for various reasons: 
- LEGO loves giving us Joker figures.  
- The aftermarket prices for the existing figure have gone through the roof. 
- Ledger's portrayal is still considered one of the best Jokers ever. 
- The Dark Knight is a lot of fans favorite Batman film. 

That said I don't even care that much which villain they'd include as all of them would be interesting to get but I would personally kill for a figure of Anne Hathaway's Catwoman to be included :excited:

Edited by lego_guyon02