Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

not a DC fan here but the Lego movies were among the best and most creative enslish language movies of the last 10 years I think. 

And TLBM I think was the best in terms of execution. Really sad to see but I didn't expect any sequels. What I don't get is that the movies actually did make money - was it the sets that didn't sell or what?

Because only TLNM and TLM2 were not tooo profitable but they still made enough to justify the production.

6 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

not a DC fan here but the Lego movies were among the best and most creative enslish language movies of the last 10 years I think. 

And TLBM I think was the best in terms of execution. Really sad to see but I didn't expect any sequels. What I don't get is that the movies actually did make money - was it the sets that didn't sell or what?

Because only TLNM and TLM2 were not tooo profitable but they still made enough to justify the production.

It came down to performance from Ninjago and LM2, both performed under expectation, WB didn't renew the contract. 

If the suggested crossover was with Marvel, it would have been a pretty dull meeting to have pulled the pin from that. 

To be totally fair, the pitched movie had the crossover, not the final script (becsuse there wasnt one, but still).

Even if we ended up getting the movie, that doesnt mean that they'd definetly done the crossover thingy.

2 hours ago, PGBQW said:

To be totally fair, the pitched movie had the crossover, not the final script (becsuse there wasnt one, but still).

Even if we ended up getting the movie, that doesnt mean that they'd definetly done the crossover thingy.

Surely that’s worse. If the crossover was in the pitch and it got turned down, or approved but with changes, that’s a room full of out of touch executives. 

18 hours ago, Lionbear8 said:

Yeah I don't know/understand why people think Marvel! It's pretty far fetched. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Because it's Disney and Warner

And they are very protective of their brands

When the Mickey Mouse/Bugs Bunny crossover happened in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit”  it literally took them months to agree on the terms

And the "scene" was only 35 seconds long 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:34 PM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

not a DC fan here 

😔 I can recommend some comics and animation...

Considering that The LEGO Batman Movie is probably my favorite Batman movie and was also what got me back into buying LEGO sets after several years of not buying any, I am quite disappointed that the plans for a sequel were scrapped. 

The plot outline sounds like it would have been an awesome movie, and it would have resulted in Justice League based sets with the quality of TLBM sets, something that is desperately needed in the LEGO DC line  (Going off on a bit of a tangent, I'm also still to this day frustrated that Samurai and Gleek were left out of the TLBM sets/CMF line, leaving the Super Friends lineup incomplete.  At least Cyborg's classic variant eventually turned up in the 2020 DC CMF to add to the Justice League party lineup.) 

After having purchased every TLBM set except for Joker Manor (which I regret passing on in hindsight) I haven't bought any full DC sets from 2019 or later (Though I did buy the full CMF series), simply because the builds and most minifigures were underwhelming compared to what was featured in TLBM.  Only a few minifigures appealed to me at that point (specifically Firefly, Ocean Master, Shazam, and Bronze Tiger).  

I can only hope that TLBM2 gets made someday if Universal's license expires.  If someone ever starts some sort of "Save TLBM2" online movement, I'd be all for supporting it, certainly more than I would support the "Snyderverse" movements that have been floating around, even if I did enjoy the Snyder Cut.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:08 PM, RedHoodPug said:

Surely that’s worse. If the crossover was in the pitch and it got turned down, or approved but with changes, that’s a room full of out of touch executives. 

I mean, they'd 100% turn it down because it would be way too much legal trouble and redtape to do for a Lego Movie.

4 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

I can only hope that TLBM2 gets made someday if Universal's license expires.  If someone ever starts some sort of "Save TLBM2" online movement, I'd be all for supporting it, certainly more than I would support the "Snyderverse" movements that have been floating around, even if I did enjoy the Snyder Cut.

But you see, its not like Warner just doesnt want to do it. 

Even if they wanted, they dont own the rights anymore to do Lego Movies, so now Universal should land a deal with both, Disney and Warner.

8 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I mean, they'd 100% turn it down because it would be way too much legal trouble and redtape to do for a Lego Movie.

Did you not see the first LEGO movie?

Or the ending to TLBM for that matter?

6 hours ago, PGBQW said:

I don’t know, unlike live action films where certain characters can’t appear because they’ve got a role in this TV show or that film, or they don’t want to use them to avoid confusion, TLBM directors were essentially given carte blanche as to who they wanted in the story. There wasn’t anyone off limits from above, they chose the ones that fit the story. Unless the Disney Marvel execs are so tight they could be used to manufacture copper wire, I don’t think such a deal would be unachievable.

8 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Did you not see the first LEGO movie?

Or the ending to TLBM for that matter?

You do know that those characters' rights belong to Warner Brothers right? No problem pouring all those characters into your LEGO movies when you own the rights to their respective franchises anyway :shrug_oh_well:

I would just like to add that I think the crossover would have been with marvel.

Edited by thephantasm

3 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

I would just like to add that I think the crossover would have been with marvel.

WB movie with Marvel characters? Not likely at all.

I think there's a big difference between "crossover" and "characters briefly shown on screen to make a gag".  And I'd be betting it was far more likely to be the latter.

Edited by pjonze

13 minutes ago, pjonze said:

I think there's a big difference between "crossover" and "characters briefly shown on screen to make a gag".  And I'd be betting it was far more likely to be the latter.

Star Wars characters cameoed in The Lego Movie so its not out of the question for a brief appearance. Too bad none of it will happen

7 minutes ago, upliftingbricks said:

Star Wars characters cameoed in The Lego Movie so its not out of the question for a brief appearance. Too bad none of it will happen

Considering it takes a long time to make animated movies it's highly likely that the deal for that cameo was already finalised by the time Disney bought Lucasfilm.

On 6/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, thephantasm said:

😔 I can recommend some comics and animation...

I am aware and I have consumed some of the quite good - and in a few cases incredibly good stuff. But superhero genre just aint for me. The message of mostly overpowered men fighting against weird villains instead of actually fighting against an oppressive system or creating alternatives isn't my cup of tea. Especially in case of DC there are some self-aware products out there (the dark knight returns being among them and I would also count the Lego movies) but overall - like the anti-super hero satire (the Boys, Kick-megablocks, Watchmen) - in the end they don't break the cycle and become what they parody.

A Lego Batman sequel would have been very welcome though; I'd watch due to the high quality any day and Lego movie-sets are always the best so it's quite sad about all the potential designs and prints.

...but thanks for the offer anyway! (:

18 hours ago, PGBQW said:

But you see, its not like Warner just doesnt want to do it. 

Even if they wanted, they dont own the rights anymore to do Lego Movies, so now Universal should land a deal with both, Disney and Warner.

An agreement between those companies would definitely be an ideal situation.  After the underperformance of The LEGO Ninjago Movie and The LEGO Movie 2, Warner Bros. probably isn't going to be very interested in reacquiring the LEGO Movie rights, but perhaps a collaboration with Universal at least might be less far-fetched.  I believe their home entertainment divisions already have a partnership.  Access to the characters owned by Warner Bros. would also likely be appealing to Universal.  I would hope that a theoretical TLBM2 made this way would still have McKay, Waldron, and Harmon involved, as well as the original voice cast.

It would have been quite interesting to see what kind of sets and minifigures could have potentially come from the movie.  Considering it seemed to be keeping up the Super Friends influences, I suspect we probably would have finally gotten Samurai and Gleek, and perhaps a Hall of Justice as a set (maybe a D2C?)  The Legion of Doom seem like a likely inclusion as well.

2 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

An agreement between those companies would definitely be an ideal situation.  After the underperformance of The LEGO Ninjago Movie and The LEGO Movie 2, Warner Bros. probably isn't going to be very interested in reacquiring the LEGO Movie rights, but perhaps a collaboration with Universal at least might be less far-fetched.  I believe their home entertainment divisions already have a partnership.  Access to the characters owned by Warner Bros. would also likely be appealing to Universal.  I would hope that a theoretical TLBM2 made this way would still have McKay, Waldron, and Harmon involved, as well as the original voice cast.

It would have been quite interesting to see what kind of sets and minifigures could have potentially come from the movie.  Considering it seemed to be keeping up the Super Friends influences, I suspect we probably would have finally gotten Samurai and Gleek, and perhaps a Hall of Justice as a set (maybe a D2C?)  The Legion of Doom seem like a likely inclusion as well.

I mean, Universal doing a Lego movie that has Batman in it? Sure, I guess it could happen.

Now, universal doing a Batman movie? No way in hell Warner lends his best selling character.

15 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

You do know that those characters' rights belong to Warner Brothers right? No problem pouring all those characters into your LEGO movies when you own the rights to their respective franchises anyway :shrug_oh_well:

WB does not own Doctor Who.

But the BBC isnt a direct competitor to WB.

That's one of the exceptions but the vast majority of crossover characters originate from other WB properties. 

18 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I am aware and I have consumed some of the quite good - and in a few cases incredibly good stuff. But superhero genre just aint for me. The message of mostly overpowered men fighting against weird villains instead of actually fighting against an oppressive system or creating alternatives isn't my cup of tea. Especially in case of DC there are some self-aware products out there (the dark knight returns being among them and I would also count the Lego movies) but overall - like the anti-super hero satire (the Boys, Kick-megablocks, Watchmen) - in the end they don't break the cycle and become what they parody.

A Lego Batman sequel would have been very welcome though; I'd watch due to the high quality any day and Lego movie-sets are always the best so it's quite sad about all the potential designs and prints.

...but thanks for the offer anyway! (:

Eh sounds like maybe antiheroes like grifter, constantine and deathstroke may be more up your alley....

But no problems