Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

On 3/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, Falconfan1414 said:

Vehicle 

*Sigh*

19 hours ago, ApocSlay said:

@thephantasm - Not buying Phoenix because so many sellers are trying to pass off the custom figures as the genuine artefact, and I am reasonably certain we'll end up getting her some day. 

I didn’t know this, is this true? I have recently considered buying some SDCC figures (Bizarro, Spider-Woman and Phoenix) but I’m cautious now because I assumed most or all the ones on the market were somehow verified considering there’s only a handful per site I see. I guess communicating with the seller is the go to route but they could always use recycled photos of other peoples authentic figures. I guess I’ll hold back because as you said she’s likely to get released but how likely is that? I have that hope with all the SDCC figures, New 52 Green Arrow is one of the best designs for the character ever, Spider-Woman to me is an essential Avenger to get and Phoenix is critical too. But the X-Men will most likely appear in their cinematic costumes when they’re released in movies and considering how long its taken them to cover other comic properties and how much is still missing can we really bank on these figures being rereleased? DC is practically guaranteed to get nothing beyond Batman so Bizarro and GA feel out of reach. And Phoenix will probably only come in a movie design and Spider-Woman is practically out of sight considering how the MCU and Spidey comics dominate Marvel waves. Quite a long response but yeah they feel unlikely to be remade soon so is it worth buying them? The risk is pretty big and each figure costs so damn much. Whole time I thought those handful of Bricklink and Ebay sellers were absolutely legit.

Edited by cosmic

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

*Sigh*

I didn’t know this, is this true? I have recently considered buying some SDCC figures (Bizarro, Spider-Woman and Phoenix) but I’m cautious now because I assumed most or all the ones on the market were somehow verified considering there’s only a handful per site I see. I guess communicating with the seller is the go to route but they could always use recycled photos of other peoples authentic figures. I guess I’ll hold back because as you said she’s likely to get released but how likely is that? I have that hope with all the SDCC figures, New 52 Green Arrow is one of the best designs for the character ever, Spider-Woman to me is an essential Avenger to get and Phoenix is critical too. But the X-Men will most likely appear in their cinematic costumes when they’re released in movies and considering how long its taken them to cover other comic properties and how much is still missing can we really bank on these figures being rereleased? DC is practically guaranteed to get nothing beyond Batman so Bizarro and GA feel out of reach. And Phoenix will probably only come in a movie design and Spider-Woman is practically out of sight considering how the MCU and Spidey comics dominate Marvel waves. Quite a long response but yeah they feel unlikely to be remade soon so is it worth buying them? The risk is pretty big and each figure costs so damn much. Whole time I thought those handful of Bricklink and Ebay sellers were absolutely legit.

There are legit ones out there, but I did BL one of the SDCC exclusives and found it was an obvious custom. The print was very grainy and also the minifigure has a different texture compared to the genuine artefacts - very noticeable when holding them with other SDCC and LEGO minifigs. The printing is also a piss poor effort and on par with the bootleg stuff coming out of China. Also had a BL Deadpool custom that was sold as genuine, and it was a very good custom but the ink had run on the leg which gave it away. Ended up buying the set and then comparing the two figures side-by-side, this made it easy to tell it wasn't real. When I went back and read shop reviews there were a few complaints about the same MF by multiple other buyers in the store. Both did ship from the US, which I consider a reputable market. Have also found custom Phoenix and SDCC Green Lanterns for sale in NZ as genuine, so it is not a country/region specific issue. Another Superhero collector purchased a Zebra Batman exclusive and also appears to be custom based on the smudged and grainy printing that I saw. This was sold as genuine with the SDCC packaging too.

Sometimes there are people that will do anything for a quick buck, and other times it is a case of someone trying to recover their own cost of acquiring the real deal. The best time to get the minifigs is right after they come out, but before the customs are made. It leaves a very short window to make the purchase, and it also means you are probably paying a premium for that peace of mind. Unfortunately I only started collecting in 2016 when I got my first LEGO set, so either had to take the chance or accept living without.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Spider-Woman. Jessica Drew was released in her Spider-Girl costume in the bridge battle set - get that one of her instead. The thousands of dollars it costs, IMO, is just not worth it if it is a custom, unless you are okay spending that and willing to take the chance. All you are getting is an alternate costume of a character that has been released in a cheaper set already.

Phoenix - unless you can visually inspect the MF in person AND it comes with the backing card I wouldn't buy it. I've seen blatant duds being sold on Ebay as genuine, and I wouldn't assume all BL listings are genuine either.

Bizarro - get the Mighty Micro version and stick regular MF legs on him - he looks quirky either way and will save you a ton of cash.

I'd be happy to upload some of my collection photos if that is within the rules of this thread.

Edited by ApocSlay

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

Are bootlegs really that bad, I bought ultraman and deathstorm bootlegs and the quality is quite good. 

Not a case of bootlegs being bad, I’m just a purist. Not to get political but view it through the lens of OCD. I just have to have the real thing only, even if the quality of the fake is amazing its not official so I don’t care for it. Its just how my brain is wired haha

1 hour ago, ApocSlay said:

There are legit ones out there, but I did BL one of the SDCC exclusives and found it was an obvious custom. The print was very grainy and also the minifigure has a different texture compared to the genuine artefacts - very noticeable when holding them with other SDCC and LEGO minifigs. The printing is also a piss poor effort and on par with the bootleg stuff coming out of China. Also had a BL Deadpool custom that was sold as genuine, and it was a very good custom but the ink had run on the leg which gave it away. Ended up buying the set and then comparing the two figures side-by-side, this made it easy to tell it wasn't real. When I went back and read shop reviews there were a few complaints about the same MF by multiple other buyers in the store. Both did ship from the US, which I consider a reputable market. Have also found custom Phoenix and SDCC Green Lanterns for sale in NZ as genuine, so it is not a country/region specific issue. Another Superhero collector purchased a Zebra Batman exclusive and also appears to be custom based on the smudged and grainy printing that I saw. This was sold as genuine with the SDCC packaging too.

Sometimes there are people that will do anything for a quick buck, and other times it is a case of someone trying to recover their own cost of acquiring the real deal. The best time to get the minifigs is right after they come out, but before the customs are made. It leaves a very short window to make the purchase, and it also means you are probably paying a premium for that peace of mind. Unfortunately I only started collecting in 2016 when I got my first LEGO set, so either had to take the chance or accept living without.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Spider-Woman. Jessica Drew was released in her Spider-Girl costume in the bridge battle set - get that one of her instead. The thousands of dollars it costs, IMO, is just not worth it if it is a custom, unless you are okay spending that and willing to take the chance. All you are getting is an alternate costume of a character that has been released in a cheaper set already.

Phoenix - unless you can visually inspect the MF in person AND it comes with the backing card I wouldn't buy it. I've seen blatant duds being sold on Ebay as genuine, and I wouldn't assume all BL listings are genuine either.

Bizarro - get the Mighty Micro version and stick regular MF legs on him - he looks quirky either way and will save you a ton of cash.

I'd be happy to upload some of my collection photos if that is within the rules of this thread.

Did you get your money back? I assumed both sites have a system in place for refunds regarding scams and misleading listings, And do either site (Bricklink/Ebay)  have a way to report and possibly take down accounts consistently selling fraudulent listings? They should. There should be a way for you to communicate the deception and have the account petition to be removed with the site. I’d be shocked if such systems for refunding scammed costumers (like setting a complaint where the company forces the seller to refund the money within a day or have the ability to have it charged by the bank or something idk) and to remove scam accounts. They should get on that. I guess I agree the high price is not worth the risk and especially if they don’t return the money if you were to try and make a demand.

Honestly I saw a purist Green Arrow using TLBM Robins arms and Simon Bazz’s legs with the S16 Dog Show Guy’s hair and it looked amazing. Fingers crossed Spider-Woman is released in the CMF Series and I’d love to see Phoenix there as well. It’d be nice if both were rereleased in the CMF this year or in a part 2/3 down the line. Dual molded legs with printing for both along with refined printing on the torso, new face prints/expressions and perhaps a new hair choice for both + dual molded arms if needed and I would be in love. For Marvel I think thats actually quite likely because of how popular it is, they’ll probably get a second or third cmf series and can receive such figures. Maybe one day Lego will release higher quality versions of SDCC characters. I can dream.

2 hours ago, ApocSlay said:

There are legit ones out there, but I did BL one of the SDCC exclusives and found it was an obvious custom.

Dang, I never thought anyone would stoop so low as to sell bootlegs on BL, that’s very disappointing and sad to hear :cry_sad: Almost feels like being betrayed by your own friends or family.

Ebay I could get because it’s such a large website, but something relatively niche like BL shouldn’t attract scummy people like that. Unless the seller bought the figures themselves without realising they’re bootlegs, in which case they’re in the wrong business anyway :tongue:

57 minutes ago, cosmic said:

There should be a way for you to communicate the deception and have the account petition to be removed with the site.

You can write feedback for everyone to see, but I’m not sure if there’s an option to directly report a seller. If the transaction was made via paypal, they should be able to sort it out as well

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

I just have to have the real thing only, even if the quality of the fake is amazing its not official so I don’t care for it. Its just how my brain is wired haha

I need the genuine thing too.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Did you get your money back? I assumed both sites have a system in place for refunds regarding scams and misleading listings, And do either site (Bricklink/Ebay)  have a way to report and possibly take down accounts consistently selling fraudulent listings? They should. There should be a way for you to communicate the deception and have the account petition to be removed with the site. I’d be shocked if such systems for refunding scammed costumers (like setting a complaint where the company forces the seller to refund the money within a day or have the ability to have it charged by the bank or something idk) and to remove scam accounts. They should get on that. I guess I agree the high price is not worth the risk and especially if they don’t return the money if you were to try and make a demand.

Honestly I saw a purist Green Arrow using TLBM Robins arms and Simon Bazz’s legs with the S16 Dog Show Guy’s hair and it looked amazing. Fingers crossed Spider-Woman is released in the CMF Series and I’d love to see Phoenix there as well. It’d be nice if both were rereleased in the CMF this year or in a part 2/3 down the line. Dual molded legs with printing for both along with refined printing on the torso, new face prints/expressions and perhaps a new hair choice for both + dual molded arms if needed and I would be in love. For Marvel I think thats actually quite likely because of how popular it is, they’ll probably get a second or third cmf series and can receive such figures. Maybe one day Lego will release higher quality versions of SDCC characters. I can dream.

Didn't bother going the refund route. Even though it was several hundred dollars I really dislike conflict and didn't want to deal with trying to get negative feedback removed. I am fortunate in that a few hundred dollars is enough to make me unhappy about the purchase, but not unhappy enough to have to deal with negative feedback and trying to get refunds. My way of dealing with it is to make others aware of the risk and also to report listings that are blatantly a scam. I have been successful and had a few of those removed.

This is why my preference is for the sought after minifigs to be released in sets. Really dislike when really sought after minifigs are locked away in the expensive sets, or worse, made as exclusives. My argument has always been that it costs LEGO money when they make exclusives. I've spent a bit of money on SDCC minifigs that would have gone straight to them. Sure, it is a marketing gimmick, but surely they would have benefited from releasing Black Lightning/Arsenal/Vixen/Spider-Woman in a limited release retail set after the fact. Wish we had the numbers, but I reckon that the Batman set featuring Shazam has sold well because it has what was an exclusive figure in it. The repeat Batcopter and police car alone wouldn't have been enough to keep the set of shelves still.

42 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Dang, I never thought anyone would stoop so low as to sell bootlegs on BL, that’s very disappointing and sad to hear :cry_sad: Almost feels like being betrayed by your own friends or family.

Ebay I could get because it’s such a large website, but something relatively niche like BL shouldn’t attract scummy people like that. Unless the seller bought the figures themselves without realising they’re bootlegs, in which case they’re in the wrong business anyway

Glad someone else views customs the way I do.

*****RANT*****

Not to have a dig at anyone, and you all are welcome to your own opinion, but when a minifigure is printed by someone other than LEGO, and the IP holder does not get a cut of the profits then it is bootleg. The only difference is that LEGO has at least received their cut for the minifig, but other than that it is no different to the off-brand bootlegs. The downside to this too is that they are then passed on as the genuine thing, and some poor soul that has for saved months to get something that they would not have paid that amount of cash for otherwise, and the seller gets money that they are not actually entitled to. This is why I don't like customs. I wouldn't mind them as much if they were blatant copies of the exclusive figures. I do find it ironic that the customisers get annoyed at their designs being copied when they have done the same thing to LEGO.

*****RANT OVER*****

49 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

You can write feedback for everyone to see, but I’m not sure if there’s an option to directly report a seller. If the transaction was made via paypal, they should be able to sort it out as well

It is really hard to prove because they print on genuine LEGO parts. When people see the LEGO logo they typically assume genuine, and taking that on when there is an ocean between you and the seller it is often easier just to suck it up. You honestly can tell the difference when you see the minifigs in person.

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit. You can probably tell I am still annoyed about it 

Batmobile looks nice but its weird to not include robin to sit in the other seat

Yes it has the little stand, i hope they continue making batmobiles like this and the gwp

May have to pick this up now

Edited by thephantasm

Although I'm personally not at all interested in the '66 set it does look really cool. And for a 4+ set those vehicles look pretty decent. 

As someone who lives too far away to acquire the SDCC set, and someone who didn't have enough money for the Batcave, I'm excited to get this set. Aside from Jokerland and the LBM Batmobile, I've collected every Batmobile so I'm very happy this is a smaller and more affordable set I can add to my collection. Disappointing there's no Robin, especially as there's an empty seat, but hopefully I can find him on the market

The 66 set coming with the rotating stand strongly suggests the d2c is 66 batmobile, they just want to sell the minifig scale version as a retail set and not a gwp 

3 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

The 4+ set leaked too, and honestly, it's not that bad? I actually sort of like the bat mobile, and the joker car doesn't even look like a 4+ set! I might actually get it...

Where did you see the 4+ set? 

EDIT: just saw it. The joker vehicle is reminding me of the LEGO race cars from the 2000s. Nostalgia 

Edited by hvader

1 minute ago, hvader said:

Where did you see the 4+ set? 

Both sets are on TheBrickFan: https://www.thebrickfan.com/

I guess it's okay to post them since they have?

Just now, thephantasm said:

Come on, they should have updated batgirl 

That's a bummer

Well, it provides a cheaper way to get the figure, so I'm happy about that!

Edited by NetherCreeper

2 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

Well, it provides a cheaper way to get the figure, so I'm happy about that!

Yeah but I REALLY want batgirl of burnside

I would buy a d2c for that figure

Edited by thephantasm

Too bad Robin’s missing, but apart from that, the 60s Batmobile is a decent update :sweet: The 4+ set is... well, a 4+ set :tongue: But at least it’s a nice way to get last year’s Batgirl in a cheaper set

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

But at least it’s a nice way to get last year’s Batgirl in a cheaper set

Does that really matter much considering she's also in an upcoming magazine? :tongue:

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Does that really matter much considering she's also in an upcoming magazine? :tongue:

In that case, it doesn’t :grin: 

I don’t know if someone’s mentioned it before, but I honestly love that they made it a mini-UCS set with the plaque. Adds a nice touch to an already great set.

The ‘66 Batmobile looks fantastic! I’m glad that it has a little display stand and hope they continue making different versions of the Batmobile in this format. Like others have been saying, I’m disappointed by the lack of Robin. I’ll just have to Bricklink the 2016 figure I suppose.

No interest in the 4+ set though.

Huh, so the 4+ set isn't based on '66 after all, that was a wild ride. No interest in it since I already have all the minifigs and the builds aren't great.

The '66 Batmobile looks fantastic though, I'm sold.

That 1966 set is lovely. The build and minfigures are great, and there's even a stand. 

The 4+ set is... a 4+ set. I actually quite like it, because it does seem like it has a lot going on in it.