Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

On 3/11/2021 at 8:20 AM, RedHoodPug said:

I’ve made purist versions of the main three, Chief, Jane, and Brain. I don’t know whether to try and do something with a Grodd fig to make Mallah, or build one. Dorothy is next on my list, which is going to be a case of switching out the head of TLM2 Dorothy, most likely for one from Clone Wars. Making Mr Nobody and AVM Man might be outside my remit. In the pipeline are a bunch of WW2, Western and Golden Age characters, and the odd vehicle. I really don’t want to go down the custom road because some of them are insane money.

I would never purchase customs. I’m just a purist by nature I only want to purchase what Lego officially produces. As long as lego avoids these properties I won’t have them in my collection which is why I really want DC to get their cinematic game going and to start some newer iconic cartoons for this new generation of kids because I want Lego to have a reason to give us more than what we currently get. 

on that note I’d love to see Lego sales data. Judging by this year this theme must sell not just “not as good as Marvel” but its probably one of Lego’s weakest selling themes.

Edited by cosmic

22 minutes ago, cosmic said:

on that note I’d love to see Lego sales data. Judging by this year this theme must sell not just “not as good as Marvel” but its probably one of Lego’s weakest selling themes.

Of the top of my head, pretty sure no other theme sells 3 sets a year. Granted those 3 sets are Batman, so they can't do TOO badly, but the theme as a whole is 100% the weakest

4 hours ago, cosmic said:

I would never purchase costumes. I’m just a purist by nature I only want to purchase what Lego officially produces. As ling as lego avoids these properties I won’t have them in my collection which is why I really want DC to get their cinematic game going and to start some newer iconic cartoons for this new generation of kids because I want Lego to have a reason to give us more than what we currently get. 

Ditto - purist at heart. Have you posted images of your purist figures anywhere?

Yup. Marvel would have sold worse last year if they hadn't included some sought after figures in the Spider-Man waves, also they would have done okay with some of the Marvel stuff because of MCU inspired sets. DC needs a Dark Knight level series to revive it I think 

18 minutes ago, ApocSlay said:

DC needs a Dark Knight level series to revive it I think 

They have the material for 3 solid, well known films! Surprises me as well, that they don't do more with Joker! 

8 hours ago, Lionbear8 said:

They have the material for 3 solid, well known films! Surprises me as well, that they don't do more with Joker! 

They’ve got nearly 90 years of history, dozens of worlds and genres, and thousands of characters worth of material. There is so much to delve into, they just need more content aware script writers, directors and casting directors. 

1 minute ago, RedHoodPug said:

There is so much to delve into, they just need more content aware script writers, directors and casting directors. 

I feel they‘re on the right track though with  people like Reeves, Muschietti and Gunn involved :classic: Of course TSS is out of the question, but starting with The Batman, I‘m convinced TLG will invest into DC film-based sets again, no matter if there’s a shared universe behind them or not

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

I feel they‘re on the right track though with  people like Reeves, Muschietti and Gunn involved :classic: Of course TSS is out of the question, but starting with The Batman, I‘m convinced TLG will invest into DC film-based sets again, no matter if there’s a shared universe behind them or not

Indeed, all good directors who are all savvy with the genre and modern film making. One of the biggest problems has been them making something that may possibly be faithful but misses the mark in terms of keeping up with the times.

26 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

. One of the biggest problems has been them making something that may possibly be faithful but misses the mark in terms of keeping up with the times.

I feel that applies only to ww84, the rest of the dceu suffers mainly from terrible writing. Ss does "try to keep up with the times"

Also Bvs isn't faithful.

(On a side note my problem with it isn't mainly about faithfulness but the pacing- it was a slog at times and the writing was not good.

Yet, I feel people are too hung up on Lex's and superman's portrayal, sure Eisenberg didn't behave like lex but he's fine as a villain- I dare say enjoyable. Why did he get so much flack when Heath didn't act like joker from any of the past adaptations and was met with praise? (But the jar of piss was stupid)

(I agree Snyder's take on batman was bad though))

31 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The new West Batman leaked, nothing special but I'm surprised at how good his faceprint looks.

It's taken a great many years, but they've finally mastered flesh on a dark head

11 hours ago, ApocSlay said:

Ditto - purist at heart. Have you posted images of your purist figures anywhere?

Yup. Marvel would have sold worse last year if they hadn't included some sought after figures in the Spider-Man waves, also they would have done okay with some of the Marvel stuff because of MCU inspired sets. DC needs a Dark Knight level series to revive it I think 

I have not! Honestly hair and accessories is usually all I do to modify my figures but I have made a purist Amanda Waller. Maybe one day when I understand how to post images I’ll show all the hair swaps and little add ons I’ve made to my superhero collection.

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

I feel that applies only to ww84, the rest of the dceu suffers mainly from terrible writing. Ss does "try to keep up with the times"

Also Bvs isn't faithful.

(On a side note my problem with it isn't mainly about faithfulness but the pacing- it was a slog at times and the writing was not good.

Yet, I feel people are too hung up on Lex's and superman's portrayal, sure Eisenberg didn't behave like lex but he's fine as a villain- I dare say enjoyable. Why did he get so much flack when Heath didn't act like joker from any of the past adaptations and was met with praise? (But the jar of piss was stupid)

(I agree Snyder's take on batman was bad though))

To be fair to me I wrote that on the fly and was generalising with faithful. Keeping up with the times in terms of filmmaking. I won’t cover all, only the stinkers.
Catwoman - just terrible and missed every mark it could have aimed at. 

Constantine - a controversial one but Reeves was not Constantine, as well as a few other nitpicks for me.

Jonah Hex - a bugbear of mine, this was more than just the writing, this was the majority of the production itself.

Green Lantern - a few swings and misses, but nothing as bad as Hex. It could have survived without the whole Hector Hammond storyline. They over CGI’d the whole thing to me. A shame, because Mark Strong was brilliant and the late Michael Clarke Duncan was the right choice also. 

As for the Snyderverse, Batman shouldn’t kill, and Superman shouldn’t be so grouchy. That’s just the surface layer.

On the bright side, I’m really looking forward to TSS, Black Adam, and Shazam 2. The near inevitable meeting of the latter is high on my list. In the further future I am also keen to see Spielberg make Blackhawk, allegedly he’s making West Side Story first.  I just read that a Plastic Man film with be made as a female centred story, which just annoys me. Not in a sexist way, but he’s a long established character with over 80 years of history. Make the film about him or create a completely new character. He doesn’t need gender swapping to succeed. If the Blue Beetle goes ahead and does well, hopefully they will get to unite Jaime with Booster. I’m also very interested to see how New Gods fares, being a Kirby fan.

Speaking of CGI I think that’s one thing that DC has never got right. 2011 to now their graphics look so bad. Justice League and BvS, even Aquaman looked wonky to me. They keep using cheap CGI and their graphics always look so 90’s-early 2000’s. Its insane because they’re owned by Warner Bros. I remember enjoying the CGI in the Harry Potter films and the Jurassic World films. Why does DC have such bad CGI when other projects made by the same studio excel?? That has always been a huge frustration with me. 

I myself have a list of qualms with the DCCU and don’t have time to go into each one. I’ve basically lost faith in it at this point.

Edited by cosmic

2 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Make the film about him or create a completely new character. 

??????

Making a movie about a female plasticman is literally making a new character, though?

2 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Not in a sexist way, but

Also lmao

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of the new figure. It looks both, overdetailed and underdetailed.

6 hours ago, Quicksilver838 said:

It's taken a great many years, but they've finally mastered flesh on a dark head

I noticed the quality head print when I bought the Bat Truck at the end of last year but yes it's taken years. Remember Mercy?

Edited by Anonknee Muss

7 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The new West Batman leaked, nothing special but I'm surprised at how good his faceprint looks.

It does look better! If this is from the 4+ set, should we expect joker to be of the ‘66 variety also? Re-do or new print? Joker on a surfboard with swimming trunks would be fun. 

5 hours ago, PGBQW said:

??????

Making a movie about a female plasticman is literally making a new character, though?

Also lmao

If they are gender swapping the existing character it’s not really creating a brand new character, is it? That’s just lazy and not exactly creative or new. If they use Plas’s backstory, but as a woman, that isn’t new, it’s an overused trope. Earth-11 had the ability to be something decent, but just flipping the dynamic and giving the characters similar names isn’t a great stretch of creative muscle. There currently isn’t a Plastic Woman on the roster, and the original isn’t widely established enough in pop culture for the edgy move of switching things up. There are myriad Golden Age female heroes that they could draw on and still have a decent film, seeing as they want a female led effort. By no coincidence Phantom Lady made her first appearance in the same comic that Plas did - Police Comics no. 1 from 1941. I have an early reproduction copy because I don’t have the money for a real one; it’s a good piece of comics history and worth looking up. The heritage is there for the taking. By the same token I see no issue with a Calvin Ellis headed Superman film, because his character is established, popular, and not Clark Kent in black face. If you want to try and label me as a misogynist then the rest of this conversation is going to be very short, as unless you want to discuss this like an adult then I’m not going to respond.

My apologies to the mods for veering off topic, but as you can appreciate the fruit that DC Lego is bearing is limited to a well printed Batman.

I thought the quality of cgi in bvs was fine. The problem was Snyder was unrestrained.

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

. I remember enjoying the CGI in the Harry Potter films and the Jurassic World films.

When I rewatch the harry potter films today, I see many cracks in the cgi so I think you may be viewing them through the lens of nostalgia, no offense. The cgi fire for example looks like something from the saber plugin in after effects

27 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

If they are gender swapping the existing character

I never really liked plastic man in the comics, mainly jla, and the cartoons. He always came off as too over the top. So I really don't care that they genderswapped him. However, I do think wb has no idea what they are doing as usual, so I doubt the film will be good

11 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I feel they‘re on the right track though with  people like Reeves, Muschietti and Gunn involved :classic: 

I feel like Ezra miller is terrible as the flash though, so that may be a detriment to the quality of the film. On a side note- I don't like that they are trying to make keaton the main universe batman- sounds incredibly stupid. 

All my complaints aside, I"ll forgive wb if they get Jessica cruz or justice league dark right (which they probably won't). 

It's good lego has mastered their flesh head printing but I don't care for 66 batman

8 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

As for the Snyderverse, Batman shouldn’t kill, and Superman shouldn’t be so grouchy. That’s just the surface layer.

I'm okay with superman having a growth throughout the films. My problem with him in bvs was that they rushed his death. 

Bringing the discussion back to lego again, after looking at the batman, venom, ironman and carnage bust, I really have no faith in lego to execute superhero busts well. The eyebrows for carnage and venom are so simplistic and crude. 

Edited by thephantasm

Since Lego is doing a 4+ Batman '66 set maybe Lego would do a The Dark Knight (2008) 4+ set with a Christian Bale Batman and Heath Ledger Joker that would be a must buy for me

13 hours ago, cosmic said:

I have not! Honestly hair and accessories is usually all I do to modify my figures but I have made a purist Amanda Waller. Maybe one day when I understand how to post images I’ll show all the hair swaps and little add ons I’ve made to my superhero collection.

That'd be awesome, so let me know if you do please

2 hours ago, LEGO_0801 said:

Since Lego is doing a 4+ Batman '66 set maybe Lego would do a The Dark Knight (2008) 4+ set with a Christian Bale Batman and Heath Ledger Joker that would be a must buy for me

Hahahahaha - take my money!

Warner is so unbelievably stupid man, why the heck are they making a zatanna show thats supposed to be "constantine for adults" (kc walsh on twitter)- constantine is the adult-orientated one not the other way around.... man I really hate wb

10 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Warner is so unbelievably stupid man, why the heck are they making a zatanna show thats supposed to be "constantine for adults" (kc walsh on twitter)- constantine is the adult-orientated one not the other way around.... man I really hate wb

Yeah don't get that. How are they going to make it more adult orientated than the Constantine series we already had. That was fairly dark as it is. Thought that they would have been better of doing her as in the vain of Smallville pre-CW. She is a more popular mainstream character imo than Constantine is and he has only been helped by the CW shows

15 hours ago, LEGO_0801 said:

That would be cool. They should do more Dark Knight trilogy sets in general. Even though it's been a long time since those films were made, I'm pretty sure they're still a lot more popular than the recent DC movies.

3 hours ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

That would be cool. They should do more Dark Knight trilogy sets in general. Even though it's been a long time since those films were made, I'm pretty sure they're still a lot more popular than the recent DC movies.

LEGO is going to release a set of the first Iron Man film from 2008 so it's totally plausible.

On a unrelated note, there's a very minimal chance of it happening (but still entirely possible) that we get Green Loontern in the LEGO Looney Tunes CMF series, thoughts?

Edited by Anonknee Muss