Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, thephantasm said:

I wonder... since dc is getting basically no sets this year what will the fandome set be- I'm guessing it will be based on 66 batman just because we are getting him again but maybeeeeeeee it will be a suciide squad set resusing harley

Marvel movies are in a good place atm,  and have been for a while. DC has films getting released for the kiddies in the next year or two, so hopefully Lego releases some sets! (Aquaman 2, Shazam 2, Black Adam, Blue Beattle) 

DC is still getting sets on the bright side. 

21 hours ago, thephantasm said:

Why does promobricks list list the batman sets as 2021, its just outdated right

Because technically the 2022 release date is not confirmed, it's just unknown at this time.

Seeing that the movie releases in March 2022, it's perfectly reasonable to make an assumption that they release January 1st 2022, but it's still only an assumption. 

I terms of dream DC waves, I'd love to see:

- The Daily Planet - 2500+ Pieces - Could take inspiration on the minifigure designs from the 1978 Christopher Reeve movie, this is a long overdue set and we need more Superman sets.

- The Bat-Pod - 750+ Pieces - This is something that is extremely expensive and hard to get a hold of nowadays since their were only 1000 made. I'd love to see a remake so TDK fans like myself have a chance at getting one of these.

- Star Labs - 1000+ Pieces - A CW series set based on The Flash would be awesome to see. Not sure if I'd go for more of a Season 1 based set with just a nice and peaceful lab environment with characters in different rooms working on things, or if I'd have more of a Assault on Star Labs set with a few villains and some smashed up lab equipment.

- Teen Titans/Bat Family - Something featuring Robin, Nightwing or Red Hood would be cool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't thing I've ever seen Red Hood included in a LEGO set before.

1 hour ago, jamesdavies2000 said:

- The Bat-Pod - 750+ Pieces - This is something that is extremely expensive and hard to get a hold of nowadays since their were only 1000 made. I'd love to see a remake so TDK fans like myself have a chance at getting one of these.

You can easily buy all the parts for the Bat-Pod and it will cost you around 200$/euro.

I'm sure this is a question that's been answered several times over the years but is there a reason Lego doesn't make sets outright based on DC adaptations? You know, the CW or whatever animated show is running (which there are less of than I thought at the moment but surely reruns are a thing)? It's obvious Batman has proven immensely profitable popular but is it to the extent that sets that doesn't contain a slightly new variation of the same old bat-suit with a repeat villain and a rehauled bat-vehicle just doesn't sell? I can't be the only one to imagine that a Teen Titans set or two for example would do well.

2 hours ago, PavillionDweller said:

I'm sure this is a question that's been answered several times over the years but is there a reason Lego doesn't make sets outright based on DC adaptations? You know, the CW or whatever animated show is running (which there are less of than I thought at the moment but surely reruns are a thing)? It's obvious Batman has proven immensely profitable popular but is it to the extent that sets that doesn't contain a slightly new variation of the same old bat-suit with a repeat villain and a rehauled bat-vehicle just doesn't sell? I can't be the only one to imagine that a Teen Titans set or two for example would do well.

It’s only been a recent occurrence that sets based on TV shows have been made. Big Bang Theory, Friends, Stranger Things, The Mandolorian, Sesame Street, the Flintstones, Adventure Time (any more?), are all recent sets. Only one of those isn’t from Ideas and even then it’s Star Wars based, and a certain amount are based on nostalgia. There were a few Dimensions sets based on TV properties, but they didn’t translate into fully blown sets. Whether there’s been a block on TV shows and that’s the reason I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised. DC output is in a bit of a low spot at the moment, hopefully with the next slew of films interest will be renewed. Still holding out for a Peacemaker minifigure!

26 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

It’s only been a recent occurrence that sets based on TV shows have been made. Big Bang Theory, Friends, Stranger Things, The Mandolorian, Sesame Street, the Flintstones, Adventure Time (any more?), are all recent sets. Only one of those isn’t from Ideas and even then it’s Star Wars based, and a certain amount are based on nostalgia. There were a few Dimensions sets based on TV properties, but they didn’t translate into fully blown sets. Whether there’s been a block on TV shows and that’s the reason I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised. DC output is in a bit of a low spot at the moment, hopefully with the next slew of films interest will be renewed. Still holding out for a Peacemaker minifigure!

TBF, they also did The Simpsons

5 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

TBF, they also did The Simpsons

On that note it could be argued that the 2012-2014 Spiderman sets were either heavily or directly influenced by the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon. The 2014 Avengers sets were also very clearly drawing from the cast of Avengers Assemble. So indirect tie ins have already been made, besides the labels these sets were clearly inspired by those shows. Which I guess sets a precedent for superhero shows receiving sets or at least have some of their more recurring characters (Nova, Power Man, Iron Fist, White Tiger) appear in sets despite the sets having a “mixed” source of influence. 

45 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

I figured it was a licensing thing at first (CW's apparently split 50/50 between Warner and CBS, had no idea) but there are other Arrowverse toys as well and of course the SDCC minifigures which means that maybe they could if they would? It's just... Baffling; the Arrowverse alone has like 30+ seasons and they seemingly never even tried.

On that note, I can only hope we'll get something Suicide Squad at some point though... Unlikely since Deadpool kinda set the precedent so far on R-rated properties in the Super Heroes line. 

10 minutes ago, cosmic said:

On that note it could be argued that the 2012-2014 Spiderman sets were either heavily or directly influenced by the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon. The 2014 Avengers sets were also very clearly drawing from the cast of Avengers Assemble. So indirect tie ins have already been made, besides the labels these sets were clearly inspired by those shows. Which I guess sets a precedent for superhero shows receiving sets or at least have some of their more recurring characters (Nova, Power Man, Iron Fist, White Tiger) appear in sets despite the sets having a “mixed” source of influence. 

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. Like, the closest for DC would probably be Speed Force Freeze Pursuit, 76098, with The Flash, Reverse-Flash and Killer Frost (who's... blue, but sure) and even then 80% of the set is a helicopter for Cyborg.

Oh, and it seemed like they were going for it with the Jokerland from 2015 with Beast Boy and Starfire. And Teen Titans Go! is, apparently, still running so it is rather peculiar that they won't even touch those characters now, regardless of the style of character (thinking Jokerland designs compared to the TTG! Dimensions design).

1 hour ago, PavillionDweller said:

Oh, and it seemed like they were going for it with the Jokerland from 2015 with Beast Boy and Starfire. And Teen Titans Go! is, apparently, still running so it is rather peculiar that they won't even touch those characters now, regardless of the style of character (thinking Jokerland designs compared to the TTG! Dimensions design).

And the Robin in that set as well. It still baffles me that Lego just decided to throw in 3/5 of the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon designs as minifigures and then never follow it up again with Raven and Cyborg in the same style to complete the team.

1 hour ago, PavillionDweller said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. Like, the closest for DC would probably be Speed Force Freeze Pursuit, 76098, with The Flash, Reverse-Flash and Killer Frost (who's... blue, but sure) and even then 80% of the set is a helicopter for Cyborg.

Not trying to nit pick but Killer Frost has been depicted with blue skin probably more than she’s been depicted as a normal looking human. There’s something to be said that her shade was a little dark and her printing inconsistent as well as a boring design choice considering how many eye catching designs she’s had over the years. As for the Teen Titans it was definitely a nod to the original cartoon with the design choices and the airing of TTG is certainly a factor in why they chose to go that route. I’m honestly shocked we haven’t had a Teen Titans wave its honestly one of my dreams for this theme. Considering the popularity of the 2007 cartoon with the current airing of TTG and the CW Titans as well as the popular yet highly critiqued show Young Justice having a size-able fanbase, I expected far more content for the team than we’ve received thus far.

13 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

And the Robin in that set as well. It still baffles me that Lego just decided to throw in 3/5 of the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon designs as minifigures and then never follow it up again with Raven and Cyborg in the same style to complete the team.

I’m hoping we get a full Teen Titans wave one day. A lot of characters I want to see in more than one costume (Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, Arsenal etc), many new Titans to see (Mrs. Martian, Terra, etc) and new villains (Mammoth, Jinx, Gizmo, etc) . Several builds I want in official Lego form (Brick built Trigon, T-Jet, Titans Tower, HIVE centered builds etc). Maybe one day.

What a putz, I completely forgot that we got a Beware the Batman set. I’ll bypass Classic Batman as that was a nostalgia trip. And then I’ll deliberately forget that the last Justice League sets were inspired by Justice League Action. I totally agree that Teen Titans/Young Justice is ripe for sets. The T-Car, the T-Jet, the Super Cycle, and brick built versions of the likes of Cinderblock, Shrapnel, Chemo, and Plasmus are all ripe for sets.

7 hours ago, Stormfury said:

You can easily buy all the parts for the Bat-Pod and it will cost you around 200$/euro.

I'll have to look those up on BrickLink then. 

37 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

What a putz, I completely forgot that we got a Beware the Batman set. I’ll bypass Classic Batman as that was a nostalgia trip. And then I’ll deliberately forget that the last Justice League sets were inspired by Justice League Action. I totally agree that Teen Titans/Young Justice is ripe for sets. The T-Car, the T-Jet, the Super Cycle, and brick built versions of the likes of Cinderblock, Shrapnel, Chemo, and Plasmus are all ripe for sets.

I would kill for a $70 Chemo set featuring the metal men. I would love sets for the Metal Men and Doom Patrol but sadly it will never happen.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Not trying to nit pick but Killer Frost has been depicted with blue skin probably more than she’s been depicted as a normal looking human. There’s something to be said that her shade was a little dark and her printing inconsistent as well as a boring design choice considering how many eye catching designs she’s had over the years. As for the Teen Titans it was definitely a nod to the original cartoon with the design choices and the airing of TTG is certainly a factor in why they chose to go that route. I’m honestly shocked we haven’t had a Teen Titans wave its honestly one of my dreams for this theme. Considering the popularity of the 2007 cartoon with the current airing of TTG and the CW Titans as well as the popular yet highly critiqued show Young Justice having a size-able fanbase, I expected far more content for the team than we’ve received thus far.

I’m hoping we get a full Teen Titans wave one day. A lot of characters I want to see in more than one costume (Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, Arsenal etc), many new Titans to see (Mrs. Martian, Terra, etc) and new villains (Mammoth, Jinx, Gizmo, etc) . Several builds I want in official Lego form (Brick built Trigon, T-Jet, Titans Tower, HIVE centered builds etc). Maybe one day.

Oh yeah, I was talking about that set being "inspired" by the CW Flash what with the villains, except for the fact that KF obviously draws inspiration from elsewhere. Because she's blue. :laugh: (unlike, say, the Power Man in the Marvel set who's seemingly directly adapted from that Spider-Man show)

Never thought about it before but a Titans Tower would actually make a great non-D2C set; different rooms throughout the T, maybe even make it modular to switch the floors in the "stem" of the T around. More so, from a profit standpoint? Loose modular floors as separate sets, one Titan each, to build up the "stem" and then a bigger set for the cross on top with an motorcycle for Robin as a sidebuild. Boom, there, Teen Titans wave, profit?

Like, I remember OG TT running on Cartoon Network back when I still watched that and, like you say, the property's obviously still around in many forms so it just seems such an obvious choice.

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I would kill for a $70 Chemo set featuring the metal men. I would love sets for the Metal Men and Doom Patrol but sadly it will never happen.

I'm with you on Doom Patrol. It's a shame, really, 'cause absolutely everything on that show (and in the comics) could be a great, creative contender for a set.

Lego thought they could just make generic sets with iconic villains like for spider-man and they would sell- but really spider-man is in a different spot with rising popularity due to the mcu and spiderverse

Batman on the other hand is met with declining popularity from the dceu so the sets don't sell as well. Lego themselves realized that a sizeable number of collectors of the batman sets are hardcore fans and thus they produced more ucs sets and now this 66 set.

Really what lego should have done is dare to use villains that collectors and kids would both be interested in - the most obvious being algamations of the justice league from the evil batman in metal to the crime syndicate.

But of course, when they see the sales for spiderman sets, they think that sticking to the iconic villains should be no problem

10 hours ago, jamesdavies2000 said:

- Teen Titans/Bat Family - Something featuring Robin, Nightwing or Red Hood would be cool. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't thing I've ever seen Red Hood included in a LEGO set before.

There’s at least two Red Hood figures that I know of: one from 2016 and one from the first TLBM CMF series. Still, I too would like to see more stuff with the Robins and extended Bat Family.

And while we’re talking about things we want from Lego DC, I as a casual fan want more stuff from the DCAU. There are so many great character designs there that would make for awesome Lego minifigures.

On a side note regarding lego making sets based on dc adaptations, they obviously tested the waters with arkham fans with the rc batmobile minifig

However, they must have concluded that the sales were not strong enough for full-on set adaptations but strong enough for indirect references like the arkham batmobile from last year

Pity because had they just sold the fig with an accurate knight batmobile it may have been able to sell better

Edited by thephantasm

1 minute ago, The Stud said:

And while we’re talking about things we want from Lego DC, I as a casual fan want more stuff from the DCAU. There are so many great character designs there that would make for awesome Lego minifigures.

A lot of the very first Lego Batman minifigures were based on the animated series. But yeah, it would be interesting to see some newer versions.

I haven't bought a DC set since all the way back to the first tumbler, but every year I check out the lineup hoping there's something that would interest me. I wish they'd make some comics-based sets with more advanced builds.

21 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Really what lego should have done is dare to use villains that collectors and kids would both be interested in - the most obvious being algamations of the justice league from the evil batman in metal to the crime syndicate.

Indeed. I still need modern, decent Batmobile for my Batcave. Currently only have the '66 version, but all of the Batmobile sets I have liked seem to come with  boring or repetitive villains. Not keen on buying a set with 2 minifigs featuring Batman and the Joker, or 3 minifigs featuring Batman and two random goons. I'd happily drop $50 on a Batmobile set it had any fresh villain. There are so many that still need to be done, and I thought with BoP releasing last year we could potentially have had Black Mask or Victor Zsasz. Hoping The Batman has something more alluring with its Batmobile set.

28 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Lego thought they could just make generic sets with iconic villains like for spider-man and they would sell- but really spider-man is in a different spot with rising popularity due to the mcu and spiderverse

The Spider-Man sets have been terrible tbh, but even so I have bought a fair few of them because they have had some decent figs. Sure, personally there have been too many Venoms, Carnages, Green Goblins of late, but they have included Spider-Ham, Spider-Man Noir and a few other sought after characters to draw me in. I have skipped a few Spider-Man sets too for the same reason as the Batman ones - they just feel stale.

Think it is a recurring theme in the DC theme - give us new characters LEGO! And LEGO, if you do read these forums there are some good ideas here, just scroll back up...

Introducing new characters is not simple from legos pov though

1) lego has given us characters like firefly, firestorm, lobo and blue beetle- I have no idea how these sets sold but the gist is that lego did not meet the sales target they wanted so they opted for 'safer options' with iconic villains

This has likely been caused by:

A) declining popularity of dc and rising demand for its substitutes eg. Marvel

B) Lack of demand for the specific characters they have chosen

C) locking them away  in expensive sets like scarecrows fear harvester or batmech which collectors are not willing to pay for just for the figs 

2) lego may not prefer to produce new moulds for characters in a theme that sells poorly due to the costs and the fact that the moulds may not be reusable

-partly the reason why we don't have batman who laughs because I guarantee you he is more popular than killer moth and firefly

-basically lego only gives us better sets if we buy whatever sets they make

BUT theres hope because lego SEEMINGLY recognised that some collectors care more about the characters than batvehicles and so we had the cmf

5 hours ago, thephantasm said:

the arkham batmobile from last year

Excuse me?

29 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Excuse me?

From the joker trike chase, the design of the batmobile around the tyres, cockpit and back area with the flip up section are very much inspired by the arkham knight batmobile- you can watch ashnflash's video for more info

4 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

cockpit and back area with the flip up section are very much inspired by the arkham knight batmobile

Damn, you're right, how come I didnt notice it before

13 hours ago, cosmic said:

I’ve made purist versions of the main three, Chief, Jane, and Brain. I don’t know whether to try and do something with a Grodd fig to make Mallah, or build one. Dorothy is next on my list, which is going to be a case of switching out the head of TLM2 Dorothy, most likely for one from Clone Wars. Making Mr Nobody and AVM Man might be outside my remit. In the pipeline are a bunch of WW2, Western and Golden Age characters, and the odd vehicle. I really don’t want to go down the custom road because some of them are insane money.