Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

11 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

18+ sets are more advanced type of sets that wouldn't interest children, they are supposed to be fir AFOLs or mature Lego collectors. They don't have anything to do with mature IPs.

I see and understand! Thanks for the clarification!

12 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

That‘s not what the 18+ marketing ploy is for though :tongue: Sure, just because they haven‘t used the 18+ label as a justification for sets based on R-rated material before doesn‘t necessarily mean it‘s never going to happen, but I‘ll only believe when I see it. In my eyes, that‘s still next to impossible. 

Understood, thanks for the clarification! 

It's times like these where I'm glad I'm not a diehard Snyder fan like I used to be 4-5 years ago. I fell off that train when he said that the dead Robin was Dick Grayson instead of Jason Todd and wanted to skip past all the other Robins to get to Carrie Kelly, wasting any potential for Nightwing or a Batfamily. I'm just here for what Matt Reeves has planned for his entire Batman world, far away from the DCEU.

As for the '66 Batman figure, he looks great. Though I too wish that he kept the dual molded legs that the 2016 version had instead of the cheap method where it's only printed on the front of the legs. Looks like I'll have to check out Bricklink for that.

I find it really neat that they updated Batman’s colours from sand blue to light grey. The suit is more of an in between hue so having the choice of two options is really nice. :) I’m really excited for this set and it will probably be a day 1 purchase for me as I love 60s Batman! I never got the Batcave as I didn’t like the build but even if I don’t like the build here at least it’s a lot cheaper. :P I can’t wait to see Joker and I have everything crossed we’ll get a third figure, even if it’s just Robin. :-) 

I wonder do all the new figure prints suggest the D2C will be a 66 Batmobile? Seems like a lot otherwise. :tongue:

20 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

does anyone here own the classic tv series batcave set? if so, is it worth buying? it looks fun 

Yep one of my favorite sets I have.  Highly recommend!!

3 hours ago, hvader said:

Snyderverse feels like a group of fans who read some very edgy comics and believe that's what everything should be. 

I mean that's pretty much what it is.

20 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

does anyone here own the classic tv series batcave set? if so, is it worth buying? it looks fun 

My favourite lego set ever, I'd definetly buy it again.

3 hours ago, hvader said:

Snyderverse feels like a group of fans who read some very edgy comics and believe that's what everything should be. 

What bothers me about this is the assumption that Zack Snyder has ever read a comic in his life. 

1 hour ago, TheBatstan said:

It's times like these where I'm glad I'm not a diehard Snyder fan like I used to be 4-5 years ago. I fell off that train when he said that the dead Robin was Dick Grayson instead of Jason Todd and wanted to skip past all the other Robins to get to Carrie Kelly, wasting any potential for Nightwing or a Batfamily. I'm just here for what Matt Reeves has planned for his entire Batman world, far away from the DCEU.

Warner Bros and DC execs have squeezed the brand value and cultural significance of the DC universe in less than a decade. The announcement of projects like Batgirl Beyond speak to how tone deaf the management is over how fans receive things. Aquaman felt like an early 2000’s film and the visuals, for all they were hyped up for were bad. BvS crammed too much into one film, characters were neither developed nor accurately depicted. Shoving a big bad like Doomsday out of nowhere in the beginning of the heroes journeys shows a lack of understanding of the timing in which the character was used in his most impressive appearances, and how much had already been established by then. This entire universe is directionless, misusing characters, poorly edited, cheap looking, everything about it is bad. And to think DC comics are on the edge of being let go by AT&T due to low sales. So many people at this company need to go. The public deserve high quality DC films. I actually enjoy DC’s content and universe so much more than Marvel I truly believe if DC films were made at the same quality (not better or worse) compared to Marvels fans would overwhelmingly lean DC i. The way they currently lean Marvel, because if done right, DC’s universe has so much more to offer (in my opinion, feel free to disagree). 

DC needs a few things.  A break between this upcoming train wreck and whenever they decide to reboot the universe, assuming they’ve settled down and created a long term goal for how the story arcs will play out. Better CGI. If Warner Bros can make Harry Potter and Jurassic World they’ve certainly got the CGI department down right and they’re really rude for hiding their tech from DC because right now the movies look like an early 2000’s video game with bad lighting. They need to spend at least 5-7 years on this cinematic break and focus on releasing well produced highly detailed cartoons that can reach both kids and young adults (its been done just look at Justice League Unlimited and Batman the Animated Series) and reintroduce their universe to a newer generation of fans. And when they get their new cinematic universe up and running the goal should be to make great additions to cinema like Steven Spielberg or Woody Allen (many other examples to use) not try and make good superhero movies, but just good movies. They also need to listen carefully to what fans want. I really want them to just announce the end of the universe bc at this point every bad, rushed, poorly cast film with a sloppy plot and directionless take is o ly doing harm to the brand name and we need to preserve our audiences instead of continuously pumping cash grabs that just push them away. 

21 minutes ago, cosmic said:

poorly cast film 

Say what you will about the films, but I believe casting has been spot-on, sure there's been issues with castings (still don't know if we'll see Cavills Superman return again) but Ben Affleck, Margot Robbie etc. have been great versions of their characters at least imo

Seeing a lot of disinterest for the Snydercut and DCEU in general on here, personally I think Zack Snyders Justice League looks like it'll be the best film of Snyders 3 by far

Shifting topics, with how little DC sets we seem to be receiving this year, should we really expect any next year?:sad:

@cosmic the AT&T thing has been a rumour for a while now, and more points in the direction of a corporate restructuring and production reshuffle than it does to them selling off DC. Comic sales in general are lower than they have been previously, the only exceptions now being the seemingly endless stream of variant covers; i.e. people are buying for resale or investment instead of for the contents. 
Spielberg is lined up to make Blackhawk - whether he still will is a different issue. 
As for what DC needs, in terms of the films, is someone with the foresight like Kevin Feige. Geoff Johns was supposed to fill that role but he has too many balls in the air to do it properly. Generally the comparison with Marvel isn’t worth it because they have a powerhouse behind them with Disney. They captured lightning in a bottle with the MCU, and there was very little DC could do to match or best it. Personally I am looking forward to seeing an Aquaman sequel that doesn’t have Amber Heard in it because Manta deserves another bite of the cherry, Black Adam because I have waited a long time to see the JSA in big screen live action, the projected interaction with Shazam, and the aforementioned Blackhawk. As for Synder’s JL, if it gets DC a few more new fans then I’m happy. If any of them help encourage someone at Lego to reconsider the lack of love towards the DC property, I will be happier still. 

19 minutes ago, mknzflyn said:

Shifting topics, with how little DC sets we seem to be receiving this year, should we really expect any next year?:sad:

Perhaps something without Batman in would be novel. Call me crazy.

I myself could debate and bemoan the state of DC's films and the WB management all day, but it's gotten way off track. This topic here is to discuss LEGO. As far as we know and expect, there are no Snydercut sets coming, so the Snyderverse is irrelevant to this topic.

How about that 66 Batman hey?

5 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I myself could debate and bemoan the state of DC's films and the WB management all day, but it's gotten way off track. This topic here is to discuss LEGO. As far as we know and expect, there are no Snydercut sets coming, so the Snyderverse is irrelevant to this topic.

I’m surprised it’s coming, I would have thought that it would appear when the original set did. I regret not buying it now, I really should have. I’m intrigued by the choice and I’m genuinely intrigued by whether it has any relation to the other set that’s talked about. Mainly because I stated a while back that I was all in with a ’66 Batmobile. 

16 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Lego downgrades all their figures and the theme continuously releases figures with less detail than their original release.

38 minutes ago, mknzflyn said:

Apparently the Batman was pushed back and subsequently its Lego wave as well. So I believe we have a confirmed wave for that. It’s also always possible but unlikely that Lego will hear our complaints and improve on the theme. If its selling poorly maybe invest in better builds and better printing and more figures because fans are telling you they would buy that. The counterargument to this is that no Justice League wave has ever sold well. That is surprising to me because the rushed albeit impressive 2015 wave was one of the best in my eyes. It seems this theme is selling poorly but what drives me insane is we have no insight into how bad. Since I can’t speak to specifics I’ll say I have hope Lego may eventually turn the tide should they choose to keep this theme. But every year I brace myself for the announcement of its cancellation. 

So, what are your guesses about that +4 Adam West set? 

Probably a Batmobile, but what if its something else?

I will say, despite my utter distaste for Snyder, if the movie does extremely well I could see lego making 1 polybag for the movie. Even the most behement anti-snyder fans would rush to get it. Either darkseid or black suit superman

I don’t mind the discussion of the snydercut after all there isn’t really much leak news and I assume some People here are dc fans. 

I just don’t see the need to make everything so ‘edgy’ and ‘dark’ it’s a man in a bat costume (which can be brought to realism without being so dark and gloomy as we saw in the Nolan trilogy’ it’s like you just know because joker said ‘society’ all the fake deep posters are gonna be flocking to the cinemas and thinking it’s a work of art. 

18 minutes ago, Donkeypunch said:

I don’t mind the discussion of the snydercut after all there isn’t really much leak news and I assume some People here are dc fans. 

I just don’t see the need to make everything so ‘edgy’ and ‘dark’ it’s a man in a bat costume (which can be brought to realism without being so dark and gloomy as we saw in the Nolan trilogy’ it’s like you just know because joker said ‘society’ all the fake deep posters are gonna be flocking to the cinemas and thinking it’s a work of art. 

Batman can be portrayed as dark and edgy, but in a tasteful manner (matt reeves batman). Snyder is unrestrained. So much so that he no longer stays true to the character

The survival of this theme hinges on the sucess/failure of the movies so I think some discussion should be permitted

Edited by thephantasm

4 hours ago, PGBQW said:

So, what are your guesses about that +4 Adam West set? 

Probably a Batmobile, but what if its something else?

My guess is a Batmobile. I’d think a Joker hideout would be a possibility but probably not with only two minifigs and no Robin.

6 hours ago, thephantasm said:

I will say, despite my utter distaste for Snyder, if the movie does extremely well I could see lego making 1 polybag for the movie. Even the most behement anti-snyder fans would rush to get it. Either darkseid or black suit superman

There are a few obstacles - it won't do extremely well. Also, it's R rated, so a polybag is not a possibility (unless Lego changes their whole policy just to give Snyder fans a polybag).

10 hours ago, cosmic said:

But every year I brace myself for the announcement of its cancellation. 

That won‘t ever happen, because TLG never announce cancellations of themes, they just stop producing sets :wink: A good infication is when there are no rumours for new sets AND all existing sets go EOL all at the same time, both of which aren‘t the case.

As long as Batman still sells, there‘s little chance of the theme being abandoned. Laying low for a while might even benefit the theme in the long run

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

That won‘t ever happen, because TLG never announce cancellations of themes, they just stop producing sets :wink: A good infication is when there are no rumours for new sets AND all existing sets go EOL all at the same time, both of which aren‘t the case.

As long as Batman still sells, there‘s little chance of the theme being abandoned. Laying low for a while might even benefit the theme in the long run

I mean with DC finally having a plan for their movies, the future of DC itself is bright.

We just have to hope that Lego decides to make sets for those movies - Shazam is a perfect movie for a Lego set, yet they didn't make even one.

26 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I mean with DC finally having a plan for their movies, the future of DC itself is bright.

We just have to hope that Lego decides to make sets for those movies - Shazam is a perfect movie for a Lego set, yet they didn't make even one.

LEGO might have had low expectations for the movie. Look at how some of the other LEGO DC movie sets sold. Shazam wasn’t as well known to the general audience as Batman, Superman or even Aquaman. I think LEGO just played it safe.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

DC has a plan for their movies? All their upcoming announcements sound like they have no cohesive plan for their universe, I recently saw a tweet that within Warner Bros,  DCEU is not even a term being used for their shared cinematic industry, and they’ve taken the multiverse approach and dividing their shared universe based on how each film is, while also not having a formula for a successful film. DC needs to stop making movies each bad addition only tears the brand down some more. 

I agree with others in that talking the movies may seem superficially unrelated to Lego but the truth is Lego’s releases for this theme are directly correlated to the commercial success of its cinematic universe. Which speaks volumes as to why we get so little. Fingers crossed we begin to see some change. I have so many ideas of how to spice up this theme. So many ideas

Edited by cosmic

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

DC has a plan for their movies? All their upcoming announcements sound like they have mo cohesive plan for their universe, I recently saw a tweet that within Warner Bros,  DCEU is not even a term being used for their shared cinematic industry, and they’ve taken the multiverse approach and dividing their shared universe based on how t each film is, while also not having a formula for a successful film. DC needs to stop making movies each bad addition only tears the brand down some more. 

I agree with others in that talking the movies may seem superficially unrelated to Lego but the truth is Lego’s releases for this theme are directly correlated to the commercial success of its cinematic universe. Which speaks volumes as to why we get so little. Fingers crossed we begin to see some change. I have so many ideas of how to spice up this theme. So many ideas

Not very smart of you then.

DC is taking a much different path from MCU, which you consider invalid... because it's not like MCU?

MCU has thus one cohesive, shared universe - everything is connected there, and not only that, everything's makes perfect sense there and you know exactly what is going on.

DC, on the other hand, tried that with DCEU - but a few movies later Snyder singlehandedly not only made DCEU in desperate need of a fresh start, but also nearly destroyed whole DC as a movie business.

After the major disappointment known as Justice League, they decided to go in ither direction - instead of having a shared universe, just focus on making good movies. Aquaman, Shazam!, Joker or Birds of Prey were all successful, one way or the other. 

Now if they still had a shared universe, there would be no place for a movie like Joker (which not only won 2 Oscars, but was also the first R rated movie to cross 1B in box office).

Look me in the face (metaphorically), and tell me that The Suicide Squad, The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash, Shazam! Fury of The Gods, Aquaman 2, Wonder Woman 3, with a handful of other movies which undoubtedly are being banned as of now, not to mention TONS of HBO Max projects they have right now is not a plan.

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Shazam is a perfect movie for a Lego set, yet they didn't make even one.

Very true, a set with Shazam and Sivana in the Rock of Eternity would have been perfect

7 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Not very smart of you then.

DC is taking a much different path from MCU, which you consider invalid... because it's not like MCU?

MCU has thus one cohesive, shared universe - everything is connected there, and not only that, everything's makes perfect sense there and you know exactly what is going on.

DC, on the other hand, tried that with DCEU - but a few movies later Snyder singlehandedly not only made DCEU in desperate need of a fresh start, but also nearly destroyed whole DC as a movie business.

After the major disappointment known as Justice League, they decided to go in ither direction - instead of having a shared universe, just focus on making good movies. Aquaman, Shazam!, Joker or Birds of Prey were all successful, one way or the other. 

Now if they still had a shared universe, there would be no place for a movie like Joker (which not only won 2 Oscars, but was also the first R rated movie to cross 1B in box office).

Look me in the face (metaphorically), and tell me that The Suicide Squad, The Batman, Black Adam, The Flash, Shazam! Fury of The Gods, Aquaman 2, Wonder Woman 3, with a handful of other movies which undoubtedly are being banned as of now, not to mention TONS of HBO Max projects they have right now is not a plan.

They switch between having a multiverse to sharing a universe between movies based on how successful an individual movie is. The announcements of pursuing projects like the Amazon Movie and the Batgirl Beyond speaks to how out of touch Warner is with fans. The upcoming Snyder cut seems to just capitalize on the issues of the first film as opposed to fixing them. If the first movie was a convoluted mess that threw too many characters at once while using bad graphics to animate an otherwise dull world, this movie is just more characters and doubling down on the ultra dark color palette while providing less time to elaborate on details that shouldn’t have been kept in the first place. And while many projects are in announcement I have faith that DC will continuously misrepresent characters and misunderstand the source material as well as rushing storylines without providing the context and character development to enjoy those storylines as well as building up hype. Marvel’s approach may not be a universally good fit but elaborating on characters and using multiple movies to flesh them out and build up towards big moments by having a lot of context as to who we’re dealing with is a smart approach and if DC were smart 1.the slew of upcoming movies would sound cohesive if not smart choices to gradually introduce new characters to audiences in a digestible way that not only fleshes out the DC universe but exposes concepts to people in an order that by the time say a Green Lantern cameo happens in the Justice League, we already have an understanding of who he is and what he does. DC may have a plan but I have no faith in it and while they don’t NEED to go the MCU route, they should take notes on expanding their characters and not rushing to pump out big blockbuster teamups so early without giving us a reason to care for the heroes teaming up.

Agree to disagree I sense a mod coming to tell us this is not Lego related. I believe we have 2 mystery sets coming out this summer no? A D2C and a normal set correct? Are we getting at least one regular retail release this year? Not a juniors, minifg pack or cowl build, but a regular minifig scale set? I think we have one coming, no?

12 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Are we getting at least one regular retail release this year? Not a juniors, minifg pack or cowl build, but a regular minifig scale set? I think we have one coming, no?

Yes, 76239 :classic: Although we have no idea what it is, at least the set number implies a somewhat regular set :laugh: