Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, thephantasm said:

Yeah, very high chance for him to get some form of representation, provided  the dc theme doesn't die

It feels like every year is a year of a dying theme. Like the last few years of a theme that had its full run and is only receiving a small parting wave. Like the last 2 sponegebob sets. 

Not just King Shark but I want to see some big fig heroes. Marvel has Hulk as its big fig superhero of choice. But I’d like to see Swamp Thing (part brick build prt new mold, not really a big fig), Kilowog, Etrigan and King Shark. 

10 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Meh lego batman movie chose to give us the super friends instead of b-c list leaguers. The only new leaguers they gave us were canary and hawkgirl (without any hair mould). 

I’d love for a new Hawkgirl based on her more recent depictions with a new hair helmet mold. I’d love Black Canary in several different suits, a newer face print and the use of the new Hermione hair in blonde (as they gave to the promotional CW Supergirl figure). Add to that the new rubber hair piece used on the protagonist of the Lego Movie 2, I’d love to see that dual molded for Harley. Its the best pigtail piece lego has released. Also want her hyenas. Batgirl never really got justice as a figure, I like mine bc I combined the 2014 head and helmet with the movie torso and legs. Many people do that and it provide a pretty accurate and well printed modern Babs. But in many ways I don’t think she’s ever had an official release do her justice.

So many Titans I want to see released in sets, with builds to match. I really want to see a lot out of this theme and it sucks how unlikely most of it is to be made.

Agree with the statements above that DC’s rapid decline of popularity over the years has harmed the brand. DC’s contents are now either adult-themed (Joker, Suicide Squad, Doom Patrol, Titans) or getting poor reviews (WW84). When you compare that to Marvel, it’s unsurprising to see why the general public may not care about DC that much anymore. It’s also not a surprise that Lego DC sets keep disappointing us year after year. You know things are not good when LEGO refuses to do sets for even family friendly DC films like Shazam.

I know this may sound annoying to comic book fans (I’m a comic book reader myself), but the only hope for DC is the movies. Most of the general public watch the movies instead of read comics. DC, and all related merchandise, will do much better if DC movies (the more PG-13 ones) begin getting more popular again. Here’s to hoping that The Batman turns things around. 

Edited by hvader

19 minutes ago, hvader said:

Agree with the statements above that DC’s rapid decline of popularity over the years has harmed the brand. DC’s contents are now either adult-themed (Joker, Suicide Squad, Doom Patrol, Titans) or getting poor reviews (WW84). When you compare that to Marvel, it’s unsurprising to see why the general public may not care about DC that much anymore. It’s also not a surprise that Lego DC sets keep disappointing us year after year. You know things are not good when LEGO refuses to do sets for even family friendly DC films like Shazam.

I know this may sound annoying to comic book fans (I’m a comic book reader myself), but the only hope for DC is the movies. Most of the general public watch the movies instead of read comics. DC, and all related merchandise, will do much better if DC movies (the more PG-13 ones) begin getting more popular again. Here’s to hoping that The Batman turns things around. 

Lmao titans is both adult themed and poorly reviewed

I blame the Snyderverse for the decline of interest in DC as a whole :tongue: While I’ve personally enjoyed every DC movie so far (because I try to focus on the positives of anything I watch), I can definitely see why the general public doesn‘t care any more. There’s only so much overly-serious grim-dark stuff you can take before getting sick of it. 

We live in a universe where an Aquaman film grossed almost TWICE as much as a Justice League film, for crying out loud :laugh_hard:

Cartoons are what could help, I think. If only LEGO had been releasing sets during the various Batman/Justice League cartoons.... LEGO is mostly marketing to kids...we get another good, popular Batman/DC cartoon, that might just generally boost sales. The Batman Animated series was absolutely huge in terms of merchandising back in the day, and there’s rumour of an extension/follow up in the works for HBO MAX. Batman is perennially popular for DC, there are always Batman toys (non-LEGO) selling well. DC LEGO just needs to see an updated “brand” to tag on to, at least...my opinion and all that.

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I blame the Snyderverse for the decline of interest in DC as a whole :tongue: While I’ve personally enjoyed every DC movie so far (because I try to focus on the positives of anything I watch), I can definitely see why the general public doesn‘t care any more. There’s only so much overly-serious grim-dark stuff you can take before getting sick of it. 

We live in a universe where an Aquaman film grossed almost TWICE as much as a Justice League film, for crying out loud :laugh_hard:

Looking at titans... its clearly an executive issue too. Also its not just snyder but all the writers they have brought on board- even Geoff johns doesn't seem to be doing well after ww84

1 hour ago, scottypavarotti said:

Cartoons are what could help, I think. If only LEGO had been releasing sets during the various Batman/Justice League cartoons.... LEGO is mostly marketing to kids...we get another good, popular Batman/DC cartoon, that might just generally boost sales. The Batman Animated series was absolutely huge in terms of merchandising back in the day, and there’s rumour of an extension/follow up in the works for HBO MAX. Batman is perennially popular for DC, there are always Batman toys (non-LEGO) selling well. DC LEGO just needs to see an updated “brand” to tag on to, at least...my opinion and all that.

I think they should just stop making these nonsense vehicles- the public really doesn't care and unless you are a hardcore lego / dc collector, fans don't care for the vehicles either. Who wants to pay $100 for generic bat truck.

Just go all in with smaller sets and cmfs- lets be real, unless its a batmobile or batcave, people only care about the figures

7 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

I think they should just stop making these nonsense vehicles- the public really doesn't care and unless you are a hardcore lego / dc collector, fans don't care for the vehicles either. Who wants to pay $100 for generic bat truck.

The public doesn't care? If they didn't care LEGO wouldn't keep making them. Keep in mind these sets are made for children first and foremost. 

13 hours ago, Do1633 said:

I am a huge fan of '66 Batman, but I hope the D2C isn't a Batmobile. D2Cs are some of the only Lego sets I buy anymore, but I typically don't because I hate vehicles. 

I wish we would get things like Metal Men, JSA, JLI, and the like. I'm suprised DC isn't having Lego make sets based on the animated movies though, since those are getting critical acclaim.

I doubt lego thinks mamy people watch the animated movies looking at the sales

If anything, lego should make maybe 1 set for gotham knights- I think the games have a larger reach

On 2/12/2021 at 2:37 AM, scottypavarotti said:

I second this. I’m not a big DC fan (the only movies I’ve seen are Justice League and The Lego Batman Movie, though that will change soon) but I have been watching Batman: The Animated Series recently. It’s really good and there is so much potential for sets and minifigures from that show. Hopefully Lego takes advantage of the rumored sequel series to revamp Lego DC. 

In the meantime though, I’ve actually been looking into getting more of TLBM sets that I missed out on, since I skipped out on most of them when they were out. I somehow found a random Catwoman Catcycle Chase set at Walmart recently and have the Riddler set on the way, and I’m hoping to get some more sets in the near future. From what I’ve found on Bricklink, they really haven’t gone up in price that much.

2 hours ago, The Stud said:

I second this. I’m not a big DC fan (the only movies I’ve seen are Justice League and The Lego Batman Movie, though that will change soon) but I have been watching Batman: The Animated Series recently. It’s really good and there is so much potential for sets and minifigures from that show. Hopefully Lego takes advantage of the rumored sequel series to revamp Lego DC. 

In the meantime though, I’ve actually been looking into getting more of TLBM sets that I missed out on, since I skipped out on most of them when they were out. I somehow found a random Catwoman Catcycle Chase set at Walmart recently and have the Riddler set on the way, and I’m hoping to get some more sets in the near future. From what I’ve found on Bricklink, they really haven’t gone up in price that much.

Some really great sets in that range. I love the Scuttler, and it’s a great Batwing, if you can find them. I also just love that egghead set.

On 2/10/2021 at 5:06 PM, Moon_Knight said:

I'm a huge fan of the 60s and 80s Batman. Bring on the TDKR tank! 

4339583-bat-tank%C5%BE.jpg

It is amazing that you said this a few days ago, because look at what Snyder revealed will be in his movie today. If Lego ever decided to make one set for the Snyder Cut, it'd 100% be this.

vtEcDge.png

21 minutes ago, TheBatstan said:

It is amazing that you said this a few days ago, because look at what Snyder revealed will be in his movie today. If Lego ever decided to make one set for the Snyder Cut, it'd 100% be this.

Never gonna happen, that thing is R-rated :tongue:

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

Which is why I said "if". Though Lego would probably make it 18+ and in UCS style but based on the comic instead of the movie, with a Dark Knight Returns Batman and Carrie Kelly Robin to go with the Dark Knight Returns Joker that came in the CMF's last year.

3 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

Some really great sets in that range. I love the Scuttler, and it’s a great Batwing, if you can find them. I also just love that egghead set.

The Scuttler is actually one of the few TLBM sets I actually ended up getting, but I ended up using it for parts. I still have the figures and they’re all great!

I also think Gotham Knights would be a great source to make new sets off of, but we’ll see if Lego capitalizes on it. (Probably not sadly.)

wouldnt it be great if lego made more sets based on the classic trope of batman being captured by a villain in their lair , i think only 2 have been made of that type yet 6857 the dynamic duo funhouse escape and 76035 jokerland , i expect the summer waves to be all vehicle related though as they seem to sell more which i do understand 

what if the big november d2c release is a hall of justice set with the 6 or 7 prime members

i will always prefer playsets over everything else as i do like playing with the finished builds more than displaying them

im still surprised at how martian manhunter has only appeared in one set yet while even green lantern has started to show up more

im thinking about all the superman villains that have been made into minifigures lex luthor , zod , braniac , lobo , bizarro and doomsday is there any more im missing

1 hour ago, thekeeperofthereaper said:

im still surprised at how martian manhunter has only appeared in one set yet while even green lantern has started to show up more

im thinking about all the superman villains that have been made into minifigures lex luthor , zod , braniac , lobo , bizarro and doomsday is there any more im missing

Well technically Green Lantern has only appeared in one set (plus Simon Baz in the CMF), as both John Stewart and Jessica Cruz are book/polybag exclusives, which might not be available everywhere. Also I wouldn't really count Bizarro and Doomsday as they were both Mighty Micro figures, plus the impossible to obtain SDCC exclusive Bizarro. But there's also Darkseid (who is just as much a Superman villain as a Justice League villain) and Faora

Gosh everytime theres a new d2c rumored people always talk about hall of justice... but look, it's not gonna happen until minimally 3 years.

Edited by thephantasm

How bad exactly does this theme sell? I know Marvel sets were some of Legos highest performing in recent years. I’m curious to where exactly we fall on the sales spectrum of Lego sets. Apparently the theme is underperforming but to what degree? Is it an objectively poor selling theme? In which case why hasn’t it been canceled? Are the sales good enough to keep around, where can i find sales data for Lego’s themes and compare them on an annual basis. Wondering what Lego considers a strong and poor performing theme and where DC falls into that.

1 hour ago, TOTDForever said:

does anyone here own the classic tv series batcave set? if so, is it worth buying? it looks fun 

Yes, its a great set! You might get it under the normal retail price! Great minifigs vehicles, and unique Batcave build!

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

Yes, but Lego does advertise 'Adults welcome, 18 plus range', (war machine as ZS is calling it) but it would make more sense to release it under the DKR banner! That minifig selection would be nice!

29 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Gosh everytime theres a new d2c rumored people always talk about hall of justice... but look, it's not gonna happen until minimally 3 years.

If DC where to release PG 13 comedy comic movies we might get it earlier! 

Maybe one day done the track, but I see it most likely under the Batman banner and having at least one bat vehicle (which I honestly don't mind)

7 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

I managed to snag a few sets under that theme (nearly sent me broke). I'm still hopeful we get a LBM2 in the next 10 years! The movie did make money! 

37 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

Yes, its a great set! You might get it under the normal retail price! Great minifigs vehicles, and unique Batcave build!

Yes, but Lego does advertise 'Adults welcome, 18 plus range', (war machine as ZS is calling it) but it would make more sense to release it under the DKR banner! That minifig selection would be nice!

If DC where to release PG 13 comedy comic movies we might get it earlier! 

Maybe one day done the track, but I see it most likely under the Batman banner and having at least one bat vehicle (which I honestly don't mind)

I managed to snag a few sets under that theme (nearly sent me broke). I'm still hopeful we get a LBM2 in the next 10 years! The movie did make money! 

Erm i think lego and wb split ways and now they are making movies with universal

13 minutes ago, cosmic said:

How bad exactly does this theme sell? I know Marvel sets were some of Legos highest performing in recent years. I’m curious to where exactly we fall on the sales spectrum of Lego sets. Apparently the theme is underperforming but to what degree? Is it an objectively poor selling theme? In which case why hasn’t it been canceled? Are the sales good enough to keep around, where can i find sales data for Lego’s themes and compare them on an annual basis. Wondering what Lego considers a strong and poor performing theme and where DC falls into that.

Unless you know the Finance guy or someone working in that team, you will never know how much it sales! You just have to sit back here and read the comments on what's still on the shelf and what's on discount!

What I can say is that the D2C last 2 years have sold extremely well!, and someone mentioned before that a new animated series could be in the works of the classic show, which could be a new stepping stone in s new sets (my theory only)

Regardless, Lego will never get rid of Batman, half oh households around the world know the name Batman, if not more!

42 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

Erm i think lego and wb split ways and now they are making movies with universal

that's why I said next 10 years! 

4 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

does anyone here own the classic tv series batcave set? if so, is it worth buying? it looks fun 

I have most of the DC sets. I stopped collecting DC sets last year and I don't see myself collecting them anymore. This theme has totally gone to crap. Aside from the 2006-2008 range of Batman sets the 1966 classic tv series Batcave is my favorite set. I have been thinking about getting rid of my DC Lego collection but if I kept any it would be the 3 DC CMF series (counting LBM) and the 1966 Batcave.