Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

they absolutely exist. The Batman sets were supposed to be Lego's trump card for DC in 2021, this pandemic had a thing to say about that 

I disagree. The timings don’t add up which I’ve previously stated in the DC 2020 thread. I think either nobody’s paid attention or everyone has forgotten what I said.

Not to mention The Batman might even end up R rated.

19 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I disagree. The timings don’t add up which I’ve previously stated in the DC 2020 thread. I think either nobody’s paid attention or everyone has forgotten what I said.

Its a Batman movie, why is so hard to understand they'll make toys out of it

42 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Ugh.... here we go again :hmpf: Batman is DC's big cashcow, they're not gonna want to miss out on all those toy sales.

Edited by Guyon2002

I think the fact that there was a LEGO wave of The Batman sets coming this year is proof on itself that this movie won't be R rated

LEGO has a strong business relationship with DC/WB. If they are producing sets for the movie, then that means they are 100% sure the movie wont be R 

Joker was a one time thing

Maybe there could be another one villain movie here and there R rated like Harley Quinn's BoP but that's it.

I fail to see why people would even want an R-rated Batman film to begin with, regardless of toy tie-ins. To me, it doesn’t fit the character in the slightest and just reeks of edgelordiness... or AXE :tongue: Deadpool, Suicide Squad etc are okay, but Batman should always be suitable for most ages. IT’S A GUY FIGHTING CRIME DRESSED LIKE A BAT. You’re allowed to like silly things, no need to make it „more adult“ just to feel justified in watching something. What next, an R-rated Superfriends film? :snicker:

4 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I fail to see why people would even want an R-rated Batman film to begin with, regardless of toy tie-ins. To me, it doesn’t fit the character in the slightest and just reeks of edgelordiness... or AXE :tongue: Deadpool, Suicide Squad etc are okay, but Batman should always be suitable for most ages. IT’S A GUY FIGHTING CRIME DRESSED LIKE A BAT. You’re allowed to like silly things, no need to make it „more adult“ just to feel justified in watching something. What next, an R-rated Superfriends film? :snicker:

Have you ever read a Batman comic? The themes presented fit hand in hand with the R rating. Also are we really gonna question the silliness of a superhero? Thats stopped no one from thinking he can have compelling stories for all ages. That brings up my next point.....Batman has more adult themes than it does kid themes, don't get it twisted. The movie also never officially got an R rating.

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

It's batman.....nuff said 

Edited by TOTDForever

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

While that's true for Batman himself, most the villains he deals with are R-rate material

But they are usually toned down for mainstream media. Hush, Black Mask, Professor Pyg, even Joker himself, etc... 

That being said, I'm 100% sure The Batman won't be R-rated

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Timing adds up perfectly actually. They are not switching set numbers because of delays. So my question to you is if you are so sure the movie is rated r. What are the 3 missing sets that are not marvel, originally supposed to be release between January and June of this year, delayed, and have prices attached to them? 

26 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

While that's true for Batman himself, most the villains he deals with are R-rate material

But they are usually toned down for mainstream media. Hush, Black Mask, Professor Pyg, even Joker himself, etc... 

That been said, I'm 100% sure The Batman won't be R-rated

The Killing Joke is prime example of this. Iconic Batman story that couldn't be pulled off with a PG 12 rating. The animated film was R rated (which in the UK is just rated 15), plus the 89 Batman is rated 15 in the UK

My point was more about movies rather than comics. I‘m aware of the darker Batman comics, but I‘m not sure those would translate well into film. The Killing Joke animated movie for instance wasn’t exactly a huge success, was it?

Keep in mind that most moviegoers have never read a single comic book page. Comic book movies still need to appeal to  as many people as possible, which sometimes requires toning down the source material. I doubt that The Boys streaming show for example would be as popular as it is if it followed the vile comics :laugh:

Besides, it‘s not the themes that give a film their rating, it‘s gore, violence, sex, and language. You can make a film that explores darker themes like guilt, vengeance, and corruption without resorting to over-the-top violence. The Dark Knight trilogy did that just fine :tongue:

I think it'd easier if we analyze what R ratting allows you beyond PG-13:

1. Hard language - does a Batman movie really need hard swear words? I don't think so.

2. Sexually oriented nudity - just no, a Batman movie does not need that.

3. Intense or persistent violence - this one may be tempting, but to show who Batman is and how he works we don't need blood spilled everywhere or bones and stuff, do we? If a filmmaker knows how to make a Batman fight scene, R rating won't make it better. He just beats people badly, he doesn't cut off their hands (as for the villains, we all know that's not necessary).

4. Drug abuse - again, no need for that in a Batman movie.

Does a Batman movie really need hardcore: sex, drugs, language and violence? The answer is simple - no. 

This barely-on-topic rating discussion doesn’t seem necessary or particularly relevant at the moment. The film has been significantly pushed back, so if we are getting any sets based on it we won’t be seeing them anytime soon, if at all in 2021. I don’t see the need to argue about the film’s rating (which we also won’t get/know) until next year, right now. :thumbup:

Also, obviously PG-13! :grin: Come on guys—DC needs to sell that Bat-Merch!   

4 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

This barely-on-topic rating discussion doesn’t seem necessary or particularly relevant at the moment. The film has been significantly pushed back, so if we are getting any sets based on it we won’t be seeing them anytime soon, if at all in 2021. I don’t see the need to argue about the film’s rating (which we also won’t get/know) until next year, right now. :thumbup:

Also, obviously PG-13! :grin: Come on guys—DC needs to sell that Bat-Merch!   

I don't know about that. We've seen Eteranls sets (the movie is coming in November), so I think it's highly possible that we'll learn something about The Batman (coming March 2022) this year - even more, the sets were supposed to release in 1HY.

2 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

My point was more about movies rather than comics. I‘m aware of the darker Batman comics, but I‘m not sure those would translate well into film. The Killing Joke animated movie for instance wasn’t exactly a huge success, was it?

Keep in mind that most moviegoers have never read a single comic book page. Comic book movies still need to appeal to  as many people as possible, which sometimes requires toning down the source material. I doubt that The Boys streaming show for example would be as popular as it is if it followed the vile comics :laugh:

Besides, it‘s not the themes that give a film their rating, it‘s gore, violence, sex, and language. You can make a film that explores darker themes like guilt, vengeance, and corruption without resorting to over-the-top violence. The Dark Knight trilogy did that just fine :tongue:

Dark Knight has murder, drugs, brutal fight scenes, and a Grim atmosphere. It is pushing that pg-13 limit. Also every superhero movie tv show has some elements of over the top violence...like the scene in the dark knight with the truck being flipped over from a flimsy wire 

11 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

Dark Knight has murder, drugs, brutal fight scenes, and a Grim atmosphere. It is pushing that pg-13 limit. Also every superhero movie tv show has some elements of over the top violence...like the scene in the dark knight with the truck being flipped over from a flimsy wire 

Sure but that doesn't mean it's rated R. Like all Batman films before it The Batman won't be R rated, that's just how it is. 

R rated just allows more stuff, which doesn't mean that The Batman needs it.

You can show drugs in PG-13. You can have brutal fight scenes in PG-13. You can have language in PG-13. All of them to a certain extent. R rating just expands that extent, which, again, The Batman doesn't need.

This discussion is pointless tho, we'll see in some time I guess.

Now everyone has finished arguing about film ratings and content, can someone clarify what is due when? 

46 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

R rated just allows more stuff, which doesn't mean that The Batman needs it.

You can show drugs in PG-13. You can have brutal fight scenes in PG-13. You can have language in PG-13. All of them to a certain extent. R rating just expands that extent, which, again, The Batman doesn't need.

This discussion is pointless tho, we'll see in some time I guess.

that was my point, I was just saying that because the other guy said a rated R batman doesn't serve the character well at all, to which I highly disagree.

Just now, RedHoodPug said:

Now everyone has finished arguing about film ratings and content, can someone clarify what is due when? 

can't answer that as the sets were supposed to come out earlier, but the movie is now releasing in 2022

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Sure but that doesn't mean it's rated R. Like all Batman films before it The Batman won't be R rated, that's just how it is. 

I know, the rated R thing was a side tangent 

Ah yes, more talk of The Batman being rated R lol. Makes me chuckle.

Promo images for Mountain Dew’s Riddler’s Brew just leaked online. Gives me a little hope that maybe we’ll see The Batman sets this year. Just because promo images for the movie got leaked, doesn’t mean we’ll get anything this year, obviously. Just still hoping we get Matt Reeves’ Batmobile. The sooner the better.

The leaked promo images also show a new look for the Riddler. Looks interesting. I don’t hate it.

Edited by Moon_Knight

24 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

Ah yes, more talk of The Batman being rated R lol. Makes me chuckle.

Promo images for Mountain Dew’s Riddler’s Brew just leaked online. Gives me a little hope that maybe we’ll see The Batman sets this year. Just because promo images for the movie got leaked, doesn’t mean we’ll get anything this year, obviously. Just still hoping we get Matt Reeves’ Batmobile. The sooner the better.

The leaked promo images also show a new look for the Riddler. Looks interesting. I don’t hate it.

I wonder how lego would portray him, also im super curious if batman will have a new neck piece to match his on screen counterpart 

I wonder if we will get any sets loosely based on The Suicide Squad under the label of batman like they did with the killer croc set and harley quinn/deadshot set back in 2016. I would love a Bloodsport, King Shark, Peacemaker, Rick Flag minifigures.

43 minutes ago, Moon_Knight said:

I hate being that "akshully" guy but the images on those bottles are just placeholders. The Bat symbol on the bottle is the Hush logo and the "Riddler" is just a reuse of some Hugo Strange artwork instead of how Riddler actually looks with his mask in the movie.

LEGO usually releases sets based on movies 3 months before the film release so you can expect 1st January. Maybe October or November but I am doubtful.

18 minutes ago, Anonknee Muss said:

LEGO usually releases sets based on movies 3 months before the film release so you can expect 1st January. Maybe October or November but I am doubtful.

Well these are unusual times. The film could still be pushed back again. On the Marvel end we've seen sets for a film that's 10 months away. Nobody can really predict how things will work this year