Captain Nemo

DC Superheroes 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

14 minutes ago, Mountain Drew said:

Just imagine if Lego would actually take initiative with all their DC properties the same way they did for Lego Batman Movie

$130 for a flying tunnel with a Batmobile would be happy to explain why

Ooof that set sucked lol, semi great figs though 

3 hours ago, Mountain Drew said:

Just imagine if Lego would actually take initiative with all their DC properties the same way they did for Lego Batman Movie

$130 for a flying tunnel with a Batmobile would be happy to explain why

I’m sure I’m in the vast minority that likes the Flying Fox set :laugh_hard:

You can have justice league sets that have nothing to do with the live action movies. 

Lego's complete disregard to explore DC's vast universe just shows what Lego thinks about DC at this point in time.

33 minutes ago, fordtruckin said:

You can have justice league sets that have nothing to do with the live action movies. 

Lego's complete disregard to explore DC's vast universe just shows what Lego thinks about DC at this point in time.

My assumption is Lego puts out little content for this line because it sells terribly. I’m not sure what the official numbers are but this is probably a very poorly selling theme. But it causes a cycle, the sets sell poorly so they focus on only Batman because he has name brand recognition. After a few waves fans got all the Batman content they need, newer Batman sets feel less appealing to fans and so they sell poorly. And the cycle continues where the theme sells poorly because the sets have little effort put into them and the sets have little effort put into them because the theme sells poorly.

Please Lego just cancel this theme. Give the license to a competitor who’s not afraid to delve into DC’s mythos. No Teen Titans sets, no comic Justice League sets, no Metal Men sets, hell this year we practically are getting no sets at all.Each year its the same roster of figures and one new figure max. The theme is dragging itself if they don’t want to produce quality content just cut it off. I am so annoyed going to the Lego shop and seeing e but Bat-vehicles and the same roster of figures every year. If there’s no hope Lego will fix this theme for the love of god just end it already. 

Please Lego pick a card, make it better or make it stop. This theme pisses me off.

So from what I have heard is dc doesn’t sell bad but it doesn’t sell great either. Sells average, marvel sells much better. No justice league wave (comic or movie) has sold well with justice league movie sets selling the worst. Batman sets sell consistently so lego knows every time they make a Batman wave it will do ok. When they have reached out for things like justice league, it hasn’t sold as well as Batman does. At the end of the day it’s what sells best to kids and it’s Batman. 

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

So from what I have heard is dc doesn’t sell bad but it doesn’t sell great either. Sells average, marvel sells much better. No justice league wave (comic or movie) has sold well with justice league movie sets selling the worst. Batman sets sell consistently so lego knows every time they make a Batman wave it will do ok. When they have reached out for things like justice league, it hasn’t sold as well as Batman does. At the end of the day it’s what sells best to kids and it’s Batman. 

even more reason to release The Batman sets this year as the movie has an early 2022 release 

Thats crazy to me. The 2015 Justice League wave was the best in my eyes. Do we know which waves have sold the best? Not counting TLBM but do we know which particular year or wave sold best? 

Logistically it makes sense to produce what sells. Its such a shame kids don’t want Justice League sets. But with DC having no serious cartoons on TV right now (Teen titans Go and DC superhero girls are aimed at a super young audience) they are letting an entire generation of kids grow up removed from their content. The DC animated universe was vast as a kid so I was immersed in DC lore at a young age. Of course kids won’t care for DC heroes when they have no good cartoons to get them hooked on it. Not to mention the quality of the animated movies has gone down as well in recent years. I’ll say this, if they have to stick to Batman they should at least add a greater volume of leaguers in his sets, or just give us new characters. To say we’ve gotten all we need from Batman is still not true.

Black Mask, Lucious Fox, Batwing, Ventriloquist and Scarface, Baby Doll, Joker Gang, Batman Beyond, Atomic Skull, Spoiler, Anarchy. If we’re doomed to just Batman sets they could at least give us a more impressive roster. My disappointment in this theme goes beyond just the focus on Batman. The lack of leg printing on characters who really need it, the recycling of the same hairpiece for every female character as opposed to borrowing elements from friends or producing new colors for slept on hair pieces or even producing new hair pieces. The repetitive figure selection, its all a let down.

Tl;dr DC is to blame for Justice League sets selling poorly because of their poor job advertising their content. Lego still has room to improve making Batman sets. I’m upset either way. 

Edited by cosmic

Just now, cosmic said:

My disappointment ment in this theme goes beyond just the focus on Batman. The lack of leg printing on characters who really need it, the recycling of the same hairpiece for every female character as opposed to borrowing elements from friends or producing new colors for slept on hair pieces or even producing new hair pieces. The repetitive figure selection, its all a let down.

Lack of legprinting for the figures who need it is a pretty big problem for a lot of themes imo. It's 2021 so at this point every single character that needs legprinting, regardless of the theme it's from, should be able to get it. Dualmolded parts and armprinting are understandably a type of ''premium'' detail but legprinting has been around for so long and costs so little that it should be mandatory at this point. When the Eternals sets leaked last week everyone (including myself) was estatic to see every figure had unique legprinting but it's honestly kinda sad that we have to celebrate things like that :sceptic:

3 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

...and from my understanding of merchandising around DC properties, that's also a pretty fair reflection of how toy companies other than LEGO have performed.  I know that previously Hasbro, Mattel, even DC Direct etc. have reported that whatever DC property they've owned/promoted which involves Batman, the merchandise that includes/focusses on Batman massively outsells all of the other DC characters.  Even the really great toy lines around shows like the Batman animated series or the follow up Justice League shows had wave after wave of recycled Batman action figures with maybe the occasional villain or other DC hero thrown in at one per wave along with the 10 Batmen/Robins.  But those Batman figures just keep selling, kids keep buying them.

2 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

...and from my understanding of merchandising around DC properties, that's also a pretty fair reflection of how toy companies other than LEGO have performed. 

Which, is again all DC’s fault. Their cinematic universe sucks, and with their animated movies declining in quality they’re doing themselves no favors by producing immature cartoons aimed at kids age 4-6. They’re simply not doing a good job enticing younger generations to their lore and so Batman remains the only character kids could even hope to be interested in. Because the depictions of heroes in modern DC cinema, TV, and Animation is not as mature or well produced or funny or exciting as Marvels content. As a kid DC was on top of their animated shows and movies, the Arkham series was new to video games and their cinematic movies were jot part of a continuous universe and the Christopher Nolan films were performing well. About a decade later pretty much all of DC’s content has gone to the bricker (thats a curse word now). 

i wonder how hard it would be for me to major in animation and book a job at DC and become this generations Bruce Timm and save their animated universe and bring DC back to its glory.

It's not just Lego. A lot of the merchandising companies do less DC stuff now, and most of what they do is Batman related. Blame the movies failing to put the DC brand on the same footing as Marvel, I guess.

I came onto the Marvel forumn to deliver some insight of the set numbers for that theme, and I am here to do the same with DC 2021 sets

FAKE INFO SCRUBBED

as for a release date, that is tricky since the film was delayed twice, my educated guess is a winter 2021/2022 release as the film comes out in early 2022 (march)

Edited by Clone OPatra
Scrubbing fake info before a ruckus starts

@TheBattinson Given your Marvel "info" was so easily disproven, I went ahead and scrubbed your DC "info" before we get into any unnecessary discussions. Feel free to join in the discussions normally and not just claim you have info!

And in case anyone else needs a warning here: please don't hop on just for five seconds of fame. You'll end up merely wasting everyone's time including your own.

Ahh, first post for 2021!

HNY all!

Read some laughable posts already so early in the year! 

With the 89 themed sets selling so well, and the almost confirmed news the Michael Keaton will be reprising his roll of Batman in a mentor roll throughout numerous films,  I would love for Lego to take advantage of this! 

As for the first half of the year,  at least we getting something, better then nothing!

On 1/3/2021 at 2:26 PM, Mountain Drew said:

I remember hearing somewhere that if The Batman was to come out 2021, the sets for the movie were gonna be huge for Lego (figuratively, not literally) 

I guess theres always next year though

There must be some run of sets in the 2nd half of the year! 

I'm hoping the D2C is DC related, even though the odds are against DC! 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:50 AM, fordtruckin said:

DC's theme has sucked bad enough the last 2 years. Dont need to turn this thread into a Marvel one also. 

DC brought me out of my Lego dark age back in 2012. Its really unfortunate that for whatever reason Lego has decided to abandon it. I get that there were a couple small sets, a CMF series and 2 USC sets but as a kids toy which is the primary market that isnt enough to sustain interest in my opinion. I got every retail DC set from 2012 thru 2018 except for the brickheadz. I have also acquired most of the 2006 thru 2008 sets in the aftermarket. Lego's lack of enthusiasm for decent DC sets is inexcusable in my opinion because of the vast universe of characters at their fingertips. Im sure I am not the only fan that has diverted Lego spending to other hobbies because of this.

My spending last year was diverted to hidden side and creator 3 in 1, solely for Batman themed background sets! 

We still getting some sets first half of rhe year,  the bust should be interesting and the Bat Logo, I'm curious on that one,  would love a 3 in 1 style set where you have the option to build 3 different Bat Logos! 

while i have stopped getting superhero sets altogether i recently rebuilt the incredible jokerland from 2015 seriously i really really love that playset too bad it seems lego will never make a set like that again

14 hours ago, The Pearson said:

Any idea when the DC license is up for renewal?

Interested in this as well. From the looks of it we will not be receiving any normal sets this year. Just the cowl, the Juniors set and the mini figure pack. I was told we have some hope for sets down the line but tbh its looking bleak and I wouldn’t be surprised if Lego canceled this theme.

I mean at this point we would have heard rumblings of an actual wave, no?

Edited by cosmic

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Interested in this as well. From the looks of it we will mot be receiving any normal sets this year. Just the cowl, the Juniors set and the mini figure pack. I was told we have some hope for sets down the line but tbh its looking bleak and I wouldn’t be surprised if Lego canceled this theme.

i mean at this point we would have heard rumblings of an actual wave, no?

That's because The Batman movie was pushed back to 2022

There was a wave of sets from the movie scheduled to be released this year. That's why: no movie, no sets. 

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

That's because The Batman movie was pushed back to 2022

There was a wave of sets from the movie scheduled to be released this year. That's why: no movie, no sets. 

Interesting they didn’t squeeze a wave in. Wasn’t one of the Justice League waves 2015/2018 comics wave made as a replacement wave when a movie was delayed? Any chance we could get that? Or am I confused? I could have sworn one of the comic Justice League waves was rushed to replace a movie that was delayed.

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Interesting they didn’t squeeze a wave in. Wasn’t one of the Justice League waves 2015/2018 comics wave made as a replacement wave when a movie was delayed? Any chance we could get that? Or am I confused? I could have sworn one of the comic Justice League waves was rushed to replace a movie that was delayed.

I'm fairly certain that was the 2015 wave, which got rushed because BvS got delayed. The difference between BvS and The Batman is timing. 

BvS: a 10 month delay that was announced 1,5 year before the original releasedate. 
The Batman: a 5 month delay that was announced 1 year before the original releasedate. 

There just wasn't any time to fasttrack a replacement wave. 

I'd assume they will try to push up whatever they have planned for the next winter wave. 

I am hopeful the winter wave will be "The Batman" sets because it does come out very early next year. December/January release would be amazing but I am not sure if they are even designed yet 

29 minutes ago, TOTDForever said:

I am hopeful the winter wave will be "The Batman" sets because it does come out very early next year. December/January release would be amazing but I am not sure if they are even designed yet 

If there were sets planned, which is the case according to Falconfan, they have been in development for a while already.

32 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

If there were sets planned, which is the case according to Falconfan, they have been in development for a while already.

that is reassuring. That could point to a late 2021 release then. If I'm not mistaken the film was originally supposed to come out in October of this year right?

3 hours ago, TOTDForever said:

that is reassuring. That could point to a late 2021 release then. If I'm not mistaken the film was originally supposed to come out in October of this year right?

It was supposed to be June 25th 2021 for the longest time. Then thanks to the pandemic, it got moved to October 1st, and now it's March 4th 2022. So if none of what happened happened, we probably would've been getting finalized images of the sets soon, which hurts.

Edited by TheBatstan