Captain Nemo

Jurassic World 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, LegoCyt said:

Do you imagine the franchise under his wifey’s claws at Lucasfilm/Disney? I don’t know what’s worse... 

I wouldn't give it to Kennedy or Lucasfilm but I do think if Trevorrow answered to Disney instead of Universal this franchise would've been much better off. 

6 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I wouldn't give it to Kennedy or Lucasfilm but I do think if Trevorrow answered to Disney instead of Universal this franchise would've been much better off. 

I don’t know who is Kennedy but Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, Same for Marvel Studios and most of 21st Century Fox. Personally, I won’t give the beloved Park franchise to Disney. 

Plus - I think Universal is planning live-action tv show (not Camp Cretaceous, of course...) but no new details since last year, tho.

And let’s not forget - I think Universal acquired a deal with he Lego Group after Warner Bros let the deal expired last year. So - there may be another lego movie produced by Universial along with Jurassic World, Back to the Future, Jaws, etc in it. Who knows? 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

I mean there's no way they are just going to forget this franchise - I think there's a series on the way, and a possible video game. It'll be a while until we get another movie tho.

As for the Lego sets, I guess we'll see. The sets don't sell entirely because of movies - kids just LOVE dinosaurs. 

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

7 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I mean there's no way they are just going to forget this franchise - I think there's a series on the way, and a possible video game. It'll be a while until we get another movie tho.

As for the Lego sets, I guess we'll see. The sets don't sell entirely because of movies - kids just LOVE dinosaurs. 

That game turned out to be JW: Aftermath. Major disappointment.

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

That game turned out to be JW: Aftermath. Major disappointment.

Huh, didn't know about that one. Well that really sucks tbh, I still hope that one day we will get a good single-player 3rd person game with dinosaurs (based on Jurassic series of course).

9 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I don’t know who is Kennedy but Lucasfilm is owned by Disney, Same for Marvel Studios and most of 21st Century Fox. Personally, I won’t give the beloved Park franchise to Disney. 

Plus - I think Universal is planning live-action tv show (not Camp Cretaceous, of course...) but no new details since last year, tho.

And let’s not forget - I think Universal acquired a deal with he Lego Group after Warner Bros let the deal expired last year. So - there may be another lego movie produced by Universial along with Jurassic World, Back to the Future, Jaws, etc in it. Who knows? 

So why do you prefer Universal over Disney? Disney may not be the best company in the world but unlike Universal they would actually use the franchise to it's full potential. The way Universal treats this franchise honestly annoys me to no end.

13 hours ago, LegoCyt said:

Do you imagine the franchise under his wifey’s claws at Lucasfilm/Disney? I don’t know what’s worse... 

Kathleen Kennedy was a producer and executive producer in Jurassic Park, Lost World, and JPIII.

I don‘t get why people keep harping on Kennedy, like every experienced producer she has popular and less popular products under her belt. Some idiots keep blaming her for the ST, while denying her credit for Mando, which she both produced :wacko: Also, people don‘t seem to get the differences between directors and producers. 

Anyway, back to topic. I think it mainly depends on the license fees whether the JW theme has a future. As long as the license promotes sales that exceed what an in-house dino theme could do, it’s pretty likely it’ll continue in some capacity (maybe hibernating again between films)

Edited by Lego-Freak

I think that people hate on Kathleen mainly because it's a trend of some kind. You know, it's like when anything bad happens to SW it's always "it has to be Kennedy", but when anything positive happens it's like "God bless Dave Filoni".

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Also, people don‘t seem to get the differences between directors and producers. 

I completely agree. If a movie sucks it's usually the director, writer or studio meddling but the producers usually don't really have anything to do with it. Even Jurassic has it's experience in that field (JPIII and FK).

31 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think that people hate on Kathleen mainly because it's a trend of some kind. You know, it's like when anything bad happens to SW it's always "it has to be Kennedy", but when anything positive happens it's like "God bless Dave Filoni".

People praising Filoni honestly annoy me more than those bashing Kennedy. All those people act like he's some kind of Star Wars god yet (and this is personal) The Clone Wars is very much a mixed bag, it has amazing but also downright awfull episodes, and the episodes of the Mandalorian he made are all near the bottom of my ranking. 

Edited by Guyon2002

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

People praising Filoni honestly annoy me more than those bashing Kennedy. 

I love his work, especially everything associated with Ahsoka, but neither he nor Favreau should become the head of Lucasfilm as some lunatics demand. Of course both work as producers too in some projects, but their talents are needed in the creative and storytelling departments, not primarily in the producer‘s chair (which is why I highlighted the importance of that distinction before) :classic: 

And people demanding Feige to take over annoy me too, the guy can‘t split into two :tongue: Overseeing both Marvel and SW at once would break any sane person

Edit: I think we‘re drifting off too far into off-topic territories :innocent:

Edited by Lego-Freak

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Edit: I think we‘re drifting off too far into off-topic territories :innocent:

Yes, way too far. :) Back to topic, folks!

5 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yes, way too far. :) Back to topic, folks!

Exactly.

So, B2T: I‘m still a bit confused about the amount of sets that were initially slated for release this year. I can‘t recall any other theme that went from 4 sets in one year to 12 the next one (only the other way round :tongue:). The high amount of JWD sets I get, but the extra non-JWD stuff is a bit weird.

This has a sort of ‚big finale‘ feel to it, which does make sense, at least superficially. However, TLG don‘t usually send off themes in this manner, in all cases I can think of the last wave is either normal-sized (Hobbit, LOTR, Indiana Jones, etc.) or pretty small (TLM, TLM2, TLNM, Trolls, 2011!HP). 

So is the theme popular enough to get this treatment? If so, why doesn‘t it get any special mention in the financial reports? :wacko:

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

Exactly.

So, B2T: I‘m still a bit confused about the amount of sets that were initially slated for release this year. I can‘t recall any other theme that went from 4 sets in one year to 12 the next one (only the other way round :tongue:). The high amount of JWD sets I get, but the extra non-JWD stuff is a bit weird.

This has a sort of ‚big finale‘ feel to it, which does make sense, at least superficially. However, TLG don‘t usually send off themes in this manner, in all cases I can think of the last wave is either normal-sized (Hobbit, LOTR, Indiana Jones, etc.) or pretty small (TLM, TLM2, TLNM, Trolls, 2011!HP). 

So is the theme popular enough to get this treatment? If so, why doesn‘t it get any special mention in the financial reports? :wacko:

Well we don't actually know if the 2021 sets are non-JWD stuff, they might be ''vaguely based on'' like the Dilophosaurus Outpost set we got in 2018. From what I've heard myself the theme does pretty well but not well enough to appear in the financial reports (take in mind this theme doesn't get many sets per year).

What new dinosaurs would seem practical for Lego's budget this year? Last year they had to limit themselves to small dinosaurs (baby dinos, Gallimimus) and Ankylosaurus. I'm guessing we will get 2 old dinosaurs in the first 2 sets (Velociraptor, Pteranodon, or Dilophosaurus), 2 new herbivores (Parasaurolophus, Pachycephalosaurus, Sinoceratops, or Stegosaurus), and 1 new large carnivore (Ceratosaurus, Allosaurus, or Metriacanthosaurus). But that is just speculative.

Edited by pancakecrocodile

2 minutes ago, pancakecrocodile said:

What new dinosaurs would seem practical for Lego's budget this year? Last year they had to limit themselves to small dinosaurs (baby dinos, Gallimimus) and Ankylosaurus. I'm guessing we will get 2 old dinosaurs in the first 2 sets (Velociraptor, Pteranodon, or Dilophosaurus), 2 new herbivores (Parasaurolophus, Pachycephalosaurus, Sinoceratops, or Stegosaurus), and 1 new large carnivore (Ceratosaurus, Allosaurus, or Metriacanthosaurus). But that is just speculative.

We don't know how the budget for the entire 2021 lineup was planned out so there's really no point in guessing. If I were to make a guess I wouldn't count on more than 2 new species.

We don't know how the budget for the entire 2021 lineup was planned out so there's really no point in guessing. If I were to make a guess I wouldn't count on more than 2 new species.

Too bad, because we got 4 last year, even if half of them were baby variants. I'm still counting on 2 old dinos and at least 3 new ones.

Honestly, I really hope we don't get another carnivore/herbivore set like last year. It looked cool, had a new dinosaur, and there were trace amounts of interactivity... but such a big price tag!!! So many people bought it just for the dinosaurs (but hey, why else do people buy Lego Jurassic World), and didn't even look at the price tag. I think that set was bad, so if Lego decides that it was successful enough, they could do a $70 or $80 set with a smaller carnivore and herbivore for 76942 this year. That would really suck. Also, I really hate the new Indominus arms, as they were made just to save money instead of using swivel wrists. WHAT'S WRONG WITH SWIVEL WRISTS?!?!?!

Just now, pancakecrocodile said:

Honestly, I really hope we don't get another carnivore/herbivore set like last year. It looked cool, and there were trace amounts of interactivity... but such a big price tag!!! So many people bought it just for the dinosaurs (but hey, why else do people buy Lego Jurassic World), and didn't even look at the price tag. I think that set was bad, so if Lego decides that it was successful enough, they could do an $80 set with a carnivore and herbivore for 76942 this year. That would really suck.

That set was fantastic, I don’t see what there is to complain about. The dinos were amazing, the figures were great, the build was useful and very nicely designed and depicted an actual movie sequence/sequences. I thought it was a fantastic set and worth every penny. If anything, the Gallimimus set was frustrating because I really only wanted the Gallimimus (you can never really have too many Pteranodons either), and yet it was a medium/large set I had to dish out $50 for. At least the Indominus set gave us a real movie scene and two large Dinos  

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

3 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

That set was fantastic, I don’t see what there is to complain about. The dinos were amazing, the figures were great, the build was useful and very nicely designed and depicted an actual movie sequence/sequences. I thought it was a fantastic set and worth every penny 

But did you see the pieces count? The size? The sparse detail on Ankylosaurus? The money saving Indominus arms? Even taking the cost it was to produce the new dinos into account, this set was pretty expensive. The total price should be more like $80 or $90, not $100. If they had thrown the Indominus out (which I'm kind of glad they didn't) I would have payed $60 dollars for it. But it was overpriced, taking everything into account. The question is not "will you pay 100 dollars for it", it's "do you WANT to pay 100 dollars for it?". So, would you WANT to to pay $100 dollars for it?

36 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

That set was fantastic, I don’t see what there is to complain about. The dinos were amazing, the figures were great, the build was useful and very nicely designed and depicted an actual movie sequence/sequences. I thought it was a fantastic set and worth every penny. If anything, the Gallimimus set was frustrating because I really only wanted the Gallimimus (you can never really have too many Pteranodons either), and yet it was a medium/large set I had to dish out $50 for. At least the Indominus set gave us a real movie scene and two large Dinos  

You could just order the individual Gallimimus figure on Bricklink. I try not to buy the sets when they're overpriced, so I just buy the figure. But if you don't have Bricklink, never mind, it looks like $50 is the way to go (I really hate that set too).

45 minutes ago, pancakecrocodile said:

Honestly, I really hope we don't get another carnivore/herbivore set like last year. It looked cool, had a new dinosaur, and there were trace amounts of interactivity... but such a big price tag!!! So many people bought it just for the dinosaurs (but hey, why else do people buy Lego Jurassic World), and didn't even look at the price tag. I think that set was bad, so if Lego decides that it was successful enough, they could do an $70 or $80 set with a smaller carnivore and herbivore for 76942 this year. That would really suck. Also, I really hate the new Indominus arms, as they were made just to save money instead of using swivel wrists. WHAT'S WRONG WITH SWIVEL WRISTS?!?!?!

They could've easily made that set $10-20 more than what it ended up being. It's by far the best set this theme has gotten so far. 

37 minutes ago, pancakecrocodile said:

But did you see the pieces count? The size? The sparse detail on Ankylosaurus? The money saving Indominus arms? Even taking the cost it was to produce the new dinos into account, this set was pretty expensive. The total price should be more like $80 or $90, not $100. If they had thrown the Indominus out (which I'm kind of glad they didn't) I would have payed $60 dollars for it. But it was overpriced, taking everything into account. The question is not "will you pay 100 dollars for it", it's "do you WANT to pay 100 dollars for it?". So, would you WANT to to pay $100 dollars for it?

If this was any other non-dinosaur licensed theme you would've had to pay $60 for this set without the dinosaurs. These sets are expensive but the points you're making don't make much sense. 

Just now, pancakecrocodile said:

Do you WANT to pay $100 for it?

It's a set with 2 amazing dinosaurs, fantastic figures and a great (and actually usefull) build. It's worth it's price. 

If this was any other non-dinosaur licensed theme you would've had to pay $60 for this set without the dinosaurs. These sets are expensive but the points you're making don't make much sense. 

It's a set with 2 amazing dinosaurs, fantastic figures and a great (and actually usefull) build. It's worth it's price. 

No, the question is, do you WANT to pay $100 for it?

You can think what you want about this set, but I personally hate it, and have much evidence to back my statement up. It is very small for the price, has few pieces, and various flaws that make it a terrible set not worth my hard-earned money (branding or not).