Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

There have been white snow platforms in:

• 71360 Adventures with Mario Starter Course (as part of the floaty cloud thing)
  • 71384 Penguin Mario Power-Up Pack (appropriatedly used as a snowy biome)
  • 71388 Boss Sumo Bro Topple Tower Expansion Set (as the outer rim of Sumo Bro's shell)

I feel pretty confident we'll see the snow biome again next year. With updates to our digital Mario and Luigi figures so they'll read when they're on ice. We can't have the baby penguin without its mama, right?

We don’t even have the complete 1HY set lists yet and we’re already getting 2HY lists? *huh* Huh.

I wonder if they’re actually based on the upcoming film, which would be pretty impressive considering it’s 13 months away :tongue:

10 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

We don’t even have the complete 1HY set lists yet and we’re already getting 2HY lists? *huh* Huh.

I wonder if they’re actually based on the upcoming film, which would be pretty impressive considering it’s 13 months away :tongue:

It’s the 30th anniversary of Mario Kart As well the 20th anniversary of Super Mario Sunshine, the 15th anniversary of Super Mario Galaxy and the 5th anniversary of Super Mario Odyssey and they are all next year, so it’ll be interesting what they do. I’ve got a feeling they’ll do Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart or Mario Sunshine sets, but we will have to wait and see

47 minutes ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

It’s the 30th anniversary of Mario Kart As well the 20th anniversary of Super Mario Sunshine, the 15th anniversary of Super Mario Galaxy and the 5th anniversary of Super Mario Odyssey and they are all next year, so it’ll be interesting what they do. I’ve got a feeling they’ll do Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart or Mario Sunshine sets, but we will have to wait and see

Yeah, a buildable Mario Kart that you can stick the Mario Digifig in seems like a no-brainer, I don't know how they haven't done that yet.  And if they wanted to do something Sunshine related, they could probably reuse that new Luigi Overalls piece with the extra button on it for F.L.U.D.D. That Luigi's mansion subtheme has honestly gotten me interested in this theme again for the first time in a while and has opened so many doors for sets based on specific games (which I really hope is the direction they take this theme if they keep the course building system).

18 hours ago, Portal Out said:

Yeah, a buildable Mario Kart that you can stick the Mario Digifig in seems like a no-brainer, I don't know how they haven't done that yet.  And if they wanted to do something Sunshine related, they could probably reuse that new Luigi Overalls piece with the extra button on it for F.L.U.D.D. That Luigi's mansion subtheme has honestly gotten me interested in this theme again for the first time in a while and has opened so many doors for sets based on specific games (which I really hope is the direction they take this theme if they keep the course building system).

It’ll be interesting what the D2C will be next year considering there is milestone anniversary’s for Mario Kart, Sunshine, Galaxy and Odyssey 

On 11/10/2021 at 3:13 PM, Izzynufc-2 said:

All those potential anniversaries PLUS the movie... it'll be interesting to see where Lego's focus goes. I suppose it's possible that the six sets listed now aren't the be-all and end-all of what'll be released in the second half of the year.

If I had to guess, I'd think Mario Kart would be more likely to get sets while Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odysseywould be less likely (Sunshine and Odyssey being a somewhat less conventional entries in the series aesthetic-wise and Galaxy having mechanics that don't necessarily translate to physical play that well). Then again, I never would've guessed we'd get Luigi's Mansion sets as soon as we did, so who knows?

In terms of specific sorts of sets, I still think a Peach's Castle is fairly likely—especially given that Bowser's Castle is retiring. A Peach's Castle would be an opportunity to release Peach and possibly include a new Bowser as well.

In terms of potential D2C sets, it's anyone's guess. The two D2C sets so far haven't really followed any sort of pattern, other than specifically NOT using the same gameplay as the rest of the sets (both can use Lego Mario, but in different ways from the other sets). One possibility that comes to mind (that could potentially tie in well with the Mario movie) would be a large Mario sculpt sort of like the Classic Mickey and Minnie from last year. But again, it could be anything.

Now for the longest long-shot guess: Wario starter set (with Wario in his classic look) and a WarioWare set or sets (with his biker outfit from those games). If a new starter set were to come out like it has the past two years, Wario would probably be the most likely option for another digi-fig who could be compatible with the existing suits. And recently I got to play the new WarioWare game, which made me picture how that sort of rapid-fire gameplay could potentially work with the digi-figs (sort of a Simon Says-style gameplay where you have to perform certain actions with Wario on a timer). That said... I don't know for certain whether I'd even expect a third starter set, given that two-player gameplay is already possible with the existing two and adding additional players could offer diminishing returns.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Wario starter set

That's a brilliant idea! I agree with a lot of what you said about potential sets, but I hadn't considered this one at all. It would also give an opportunity to provide a user-controlled antagonist if they wanted, too.

16 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I’m waiting for actual Mario minifigures (not Digitfigures), patiently/hopefully. 

I could see them making Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad in minifigure form but that's really it. Most of the enemies don't work in minifigure form and that's a big reason they did the course builder system. 

If they did do minifiguress I would expect them to be either a comic con exclusive type or just included in an expensive d2c set.

16 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I could see them making Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad in minifigure form but that's really it. Most of the enemies don't work in minifigure form and that's a big reason they did the course builder system. 

If they did do minifiguress I would expect them to be either a comic con exclusive type or just included in an expensive d2c set.

I mean look at Lego City Undercover, they’ve got Bob oms, Bullet Bills, Piranha Plants, Wigglers and Cheap Cheaps. Quite a number of enemies and bosses would work in mini figure scale like Whomp, Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones, Bowser, Bowser Jr, koopalings, Kameck, Chain Chomps, Pokey and Lakitu.

Other characters like Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong would fit in with mini figure scale 

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

You forgot to mention Daisy, Wario, Wluigi.

but yeah I agree with you. I’m not just a fan of Digifigures. I prefer minifiugres more tho. 

I don’t see any CMF for non-humanoid enemies. Enitre molds are expensive for sure. 

Do you guys think a Mario Movie tie-in CMF series could be on the tables for next year? I haven't been following the recent CMF rumors, but isn't it usually around this time that we start learning what they're gonna be?

5 hours ago, Portal Out said:

Do you guys think a Mario Movie tie-in CMF series could be on the tables for next year? I haven't been following the recent CMF rumors, but isn't it usually around this time that we start learning what they're gonna be?

Right now, we know there will be two CMF series so far: Series 22 and The Muppets. There are two more remaining mysterious CMF series. In other word, we will have four CMF series next year. 

Jan - Series 22

May - The Muppets

Sept (?) - ???

??? - ???

I really don’t know if one of these mysterious CMF series will be based on Mario Movie at the moment.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, Portal Out said:

A Mario Movie CMF wouldn't be totally unlikely, especially given that the cast list we have so far suggests the movie will feature a very broad range of characters to potentially be made into minifigures (not just Mario mainstays like Peach, Toad, and Bowser but also deeper pulls like Cranky Kong and Foreman Spike). A CMF series might also be easier to adapt some of those versions of the characters into than the very game-ified expansion packs. Of course, depending on how certain characters like Bowser or Donkey Kong are depicted, they might not fit neatly into a CMF (since they could very easily have bigfig-esque proportions compared to Mario & co.). But even then, it's possible that a complementary D2C set could still help cover most of the bases (sort of like the Simpsons and Disney series got).

Hmmm if there's movie tie in stuff I'd at least hope for actual sets and not this game stuff. The gamey stuff is just not for me... give me my dream of real Mario minifigures...

Would love to see a Lego Mario video game in the future, like Lego did for their other games, it could be a Lego and 3D Mario crossed over with worlds like Isle Delfino and Bob On Battlefield 

On 11/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

I’m waiting for actual Mario minifigures (not Digitfigures), patiently/hopefully. 

I agree. I’m only not buying this theme because I have too many themes under my collection and don’t feel I need this. That said I would not pass on a minifigure scale set for this theme.

I will say I do understand the reason they went with this building system and I think it looks great and all the side characters and builds are done in a way that makes sense and allows for them to encompass all their details without producing hyper specific molds for these designs. While I do enjoy this theme, it’s builds, and understand its structure, I just don’t have the space or money for this atm. I think this theme is lovely however, and if Lego ever did produce minifigures of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser etc, Imd definitely get that set. I think Bowsers castle is the most likely candidate for a large $100 set to warrant these figs. Never say never but I don’t know how likely it is that Lego will ever produce this. But they seem to know their demand and demand for minifig Mario figures is I think high enough to warrant the production of said set but time will tell.

If anyone in the UK is looking to pick up 71383 Wiggler's Poison Swamp expansion set I have a sealed set I don't want. Will sell cheap. PM me if interested. :classic:

I play a lot with Mario and the gang with my daughter. They are supergood zombi’s when the battery is shut off and they haunt my daughters brickbuild animals. 
I like this style for Super Mario. It’s weird of course, but still very funny to play with. And although i am a minifig fan, i really appreciate the path they have chosen with this theme. 

I can see them including minifigs in sets based on the upcoming film, should we get any, but the course building system is here to stay regardless :grin: A pure minifig-based concept wouldn't work outside of a small film tie-in wave since most of the characters just aren't humanoid enough, and introducing a new mould for every single character or enemy would massively exceed the budget of any theme. Sure, you could argue that the enemies could still be realised in brick-built form, but that'd be quite a challenge at a minifig-compatible scale :shrug_oh_well:

Here is an idea, the sets are expansions for Super Mario starter course, they can interact with Mario and Luigi, but they also include 1 minifig from the movie, each set. I doubt we might see normal sets, I read that the launch of the theme was a hit for Lego, so atleast I hope Zelda will become a theme and we get actual sets. 

45 minutes ago, Mr No said:

Here is an idea, the sets are expansions for Super Mario starter course, they can interact with Mario and Luigi, but they also include 1 minifig from the movie, each set. I doubt we might see normal sets, I read that the launch of the theme was a hit for Lego, so atleast I hope Zelda will become a theme and we get actual sets. 

I think if they do minifigures for the movie that are not meant to interact with the main gameplay feature of the expansions, it'd make more sense to simply do a CMF series than to go for a sort of "hybrid" approach like you suggest. CMFs can more easily budget specialized molds due to their high production volume, and selling them as standalone would more easily prevent confusion for buyers who might not realize that the play features of the expansion packs are not designed for the included figures.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think if they do minifigures for the movie that are not meant to interact with the main gameplay feature of the expansions, it'd make more sense to simply do a CMF series than to go for a sort of "hybrid" approach like you suggest. CMFs can more easily budget specialized molds due to their high production volume, and selling them as standalone would more easily prevent confusion for buyers who might not realize that the play features of the expansion packs are not designed for the included figures.

I was thinking of playsets based on the film, but they can also interact with the course sets. They would be playset first, a course interaction second.