Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

I wonder if they'll release sets for that movie with minifigures

Kind of what they did with Batman, appearing in 2 different licensed lines: The LEGO Movie and DC Comics theme

Given LEGO's licenses with Nintendo and Universal (which owns Illumination), plus the relatively high status of this movie given its voice cast, LEGO sets seem like all but a sure thing.

Personally I can't picture Mario and Luigi minifigures without specially moulded heads. Other characters with prominent noses done as traditional minifigures have looked too odd and so would they, unless the animation style in the movie is a radical departure from their traditional looks.

I don’t care about voice casts becuase I’m deaf here. :iamded_lol:

12 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

The cast has been announced for the Mario Animated film coming December 2022. Chris Pratt will voice Mario.

More importantly, could we have a bigger chance of getting Mario minifigures?

I have been waiting for Mario minifigures!

Not to give anyone nightmares, but let's say, for the sake of argument, that we do indeed get lego sets out of the Mario movie.

What if they redesign the characters to make them look more human?

Sleep well with this thought on your mind.

Honestly I don't expect them to be much different than the existing "3D" models of Mario:

Mario-woohoo.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Anonknee Muss

I'm as iffy on the cast as anyone (apart from Jack Black as Bowser which feels like a pretty genius choice to me), but I'm still hoping the movie is great visually and truer to the look of the games. A Holiday 2022 release date means any sets based on the movie will likely be 2HY releases.

2 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I'm as iffy on the cast as anyone (apart from Jack Black as Bowser which feels like a pretty genius choice to me), but I'm still hoping the movie is great visually and truer to the look of the games. A Holiday 2022 release date means any sets based on the movie will likely be 2HY releases.

Probably September/October release. My guess is 1st October, if there are any.

3 hours ago, PGBQW said:

What if they redesign the characters to make them look more human?

Sleep well with this thought on your mind.

Oh no, not 1993 again...

Spoiler

20435979.jpg

1 minute ago, Kaanere said:

Oh no, not 1993 again...

Hide contents

20435979.jpg

I mean, if you ignore the fact that the Live Action Mario movie has nothing to do with Mario, its a pretty solid adventures movie.

Agree about the nose. Hope they'll go for molded heads. Captain Hook from the Disney CMFs looks very strange. 

Also, I wonder if this movie will included more Nintendo characters, similar to Space Jam 2 

I'm hoping that if sets are made, they fall into the line of the TMNT movie sets,with molded heads. I feel if they don't do specialized molded heads it'll be very uncanny.

I know it's incredibly too early to speculate, but if 2022 has 4 collectible minifigure series (which seems to be the rumor now?), I'd love to see sets based on the Mario movie also get one of those 4 CMF series dedicated to it, too!

I just hope there are a couple D2C sets for the movie and not just sets aimed for ages 6-12. I want sets like Ninjago City not like the minions movie.

7 hours ago, Childe_Roland said:

I'm hoping that if sets are made, they fall into the line of the TMNT movie sets,with molded heads. I feel if they don't do specialized molded heads it'll be very uncanny.

TMNT?

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Agree about the nose. Hope they'll go for molded heads. Captain Hook from the Disney CMFs looks very strange. 

I have no issue with the noiseless Captian Hook. But he is not alone… there is Griphook from Harry Potter Series 2 and he has no pointy nose. He is more weirder than Captian Hook. Oh and Cru from Minions theme don’t have a nose either… I guess they can join Voldemort in a Noseless Club. 

But i can’t imagine what the noiseless Mario minifigure would look like. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

5 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

But i can’t imagine what the noiseless Mario minifigure would look like. 

I think the only way a nose-less version would work is if they make a new mustache piece that resembles Mario's so it's kind of an implied nose? But totally agree that molded heads would work better, especially since so many other characters will need to have molded pieces to be represented accurately.

7 hours ago, nicknack116 said:

I think the only way a nose-less version would work is if they make a new mustache piece that resembles Mario's so it's kind of an implied nose? But totally agree that molded heads would work better, especially since so many other characters will need to have molded pieces to be represented accurately.

Since Mario and Luigi are humanoid, they may have regular minfigure head. Just like Captian Hook, Griphook, Marvin the Marian, and Gru. Mabybe, just maybe….instead of making an entire molded head, use a mustache+nose mold (similar to bow and mustache pieces - Sheriff from CMF Sires came with mustache piece). 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Since Mario and Luigi are humanoid, they may have regular minfigure head. Just like Captian Hook, Griphook, Marvin the Marian, and Gru. Mabybe, just maybe….instead of making an entire molded head, use a mustache+nose mold (similar to bow and mustache pieces - Sheriff from CMF Sires came with mustache piece). 

If they made a mustache piece that worked similarly to Edna Mode's hair piece from the Disney 2 CMF, giving the impression of a molded head, well that might be a thought.

Edited by Childe_Roland

19 minutes ago, Childe_Roland said:

If they made a mustache piece that worked similarly to Edna Mode's hair piece from the Disney 2 CMF, giving the impression of a molded head, well that might be a thought.

Exactly 

I think beyond just the nose another reason why a molded head might be necessary is that standard minifigure heads are too small.

When a human actor from a live-action movie is turned into a minifigure, their proportions are shrunk down into a more cartoony form, with chunkier proportions and a bigger head and hands. This is a large part of where the minifigure gets its appeal—it's "cuter" than a more "realistic" figure would be.

But if you take an already cartoonish character like Mario (who is only about three heads high) and try to force them into that same form without changing the proportions, it'd have the opposite effect. Instead of being cuter, Mario would be stuck with a smaller face and eyes and a weirdly oversized torso. It just wouldn't look quite right, nose or no nose.

I get the desire for a "standard" minifigure of Mario. Even with just a molded head, a minifigure of Mario would be more limited in its compatibility. You could no longer take his hat and put it on other minifigures, nor could you easily swap his hat for other accessories for power-ups (he'd need a separately molded head for each differently-shaped accessory). But in terms of faithfully recreating Mario's childlike proportions and appearance, I don't think a standard head would work well.

I think beyond the electronic game factor, this is one reason why Lego was smart to opt away from the classic minifigure for this theme in the first place. Lego Mario's final proportions, like minifigures of real actors in other themes, is squatter and cuter than the "real" Mario (like a "chibi" or "super-deformed" figurine from Japan). His hat, while way out of scale for other minifigures, can be removed and replaced with other headgear, and is even scaled effectively to fit on a lot of the other brick-built characters and enemies in the theme.

I do think that, eventually, a standard minifigure with a molded head for Mario wouldn't be the worst outcome—especially if Lego branches out to other Nintendo themes. It wouldn't have the ideal compatibility, nor do I think that it would be the best suited to playsets (which is a part of why i hope that even if Lego releases a more standard Mario minifig, the format they've created for "digi-fig" starter and expansion sets wouldn't change). But as part of a standalone minifigure series, a minifigure Mario would be great for interacting with other themes and MOC scenes. And other Nintendo characters like Link or Samus could work better with classic minifigure proportions, given that their designs and proportions are already more realistic.

23 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Even with just a molded head, a minifigure of Mario would be more limited in its compatibility. You could no longer take his hat and put it on other minifigures, nor could you easily swap his hat for other accessories for power-ups (he'd need a separately molded head for each differently-shaped accessory).

Not neccesarily, you could have the head as its own mould and the hat as a sepparate one.

I really don’t mind Mario coming with a regular head. I mean a famous Mario hat won’t have that pin, just like Minnie and Daisy come with their bows or Donald has his sailor’s hat.

A Mario hat with anti-stud would be cool to use on any minifigure head, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

Not neccesarily, you could have the head as its own mould and the hat as a sepparate one.

I can't really envision how that would work myself. It seems to me that if you did that it'd end up looking a bit like the "Pigsy" head from Monkie Kid with the hat removed—with the hair on top of his head having to narrow to a strange-looking point to fit a minifigure-compatible hat on a larger, more cartoonish head.

For that matter, Mario's hair raises another issue with using a standard head—Mario's hair and sideburns are typically visible below his hat. With a standard head you would either have to mold these as part of the hat piece (making it less versatile and nullifying some of the appeal of having a separate hat in the first place), or merely print them on the head (which not only would look underwhelming but also would necessitate making the face print even smaller since part of the usable print area would be taken up by the hair).

6 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I can't really envision how that would work myself. It seems to me that if you did that it'd end up looking a bit like the "Pigsy" head from Monkie Kid with the hat removed—with the hair on top of his head having to narrow to a strange-looking point to fit a minifigure-compatible hat on a larger, more cartoonish head.

For that matter, Mario's hair raises another issue with using a standard head—Mario's hair and sideburns are typically visible below his hat. With a standard head you would either have to mold these as part of the hat piece (making it less versatile and nullifying some of the appeal of having a separate hat in the first place), or merely print them on the head (which not only would look underwhelming but also would necessitate making the face print even smaller since part of the usable print area would be taken up by the hair).

actually now that you mention it, a hair-cap combo would look the best, since the ones we've got so far are all pretty solid