Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Yep, I got my expectations to high. I mean it's pretty good, just not $170 good. At the very least, I'm happy that we're finally getting peach in some capacity and that it's themed after a specific game and not just generic Mario. I'm definitely excited to see it in more detail tomorrow and hopeful that there's even more that it's hiding. Unfortunately though, minifigures probably would've been the deal breaker for me in buying or passing on this one.

So, I know we’ll know for sure soon, but…

Has there been any discussion of this new Mario Question Block set getting a VIP release in September with a wide release in October? Or is it going to be an October set?

Just like with the first D2C, the NES, LEGO is using the fact that they have a Nintendo/Mario license to (smartly IMO) get into the market for Mario nostalgia-fuelled memorabilia/display pieces. They're not making these sets for the LEGO die hards that might like Mario/Nintendo, but the Mario/Nintendo enthusiasts who might like to buy a nostalgic display piece they build out of LEGO.

As a buildable display piece for someone who is nostalgic about Mario 64 and LEGO, a big smooth question block that nods to all of Mario 64 with micro level scenes is pretty cool I'd think. But to people who are traditional LEGO fans first, it's not what we're after, which is minifigure-compatible building sets.

17 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

They're not making these sets for the LEGO die hards that might like Mario/Nintendo, but the Mario/Nintendo enthusiasts who might like to buy a nostalgic display piece they build out of LEGO.

Perfectly said!

LEGO is in the business of tapping new markets to come buy their sets who haven’t before and then might get interested in other lines, too.

It’s smart and, selfishly, I’m loving this intersection of two things I’ve always loved.

8 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

for someone who is nostalgic about Mario 64 and LEGO, a big smooth question block that nods to all of Mario 64 with micro level scenes is pretty cool I'd think

I mean, fair enough we don't have to be the market for every set but they picked an item that doesn't even appear in Mario 64

Better pictures are now on IG :thumbup: The microfigs are very cute even though they lack eyes, especially King Bob-Omb and the Chain-Chomp! The stained glass and level paintings are all printed on 1x1 tiles and the warp pipe appears to be a new mould :sweet: That 2x2 Bowser slide puzzle print is also a great addition :classic: Impressive how well they’ve managed to capture the essence of the levels at such a small scale

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

48 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

I mean, fair enough we don't have to be the market for every set but they picked an item that doesn't even appear in Mario 64

True, but nostalgia is a funny thing. That question block is a very recognisable Mario icon. Anybody who has ever played Mario or seen Mario memorabilia would look at that and say, hey it's Mario! And then if they have nostalgia for Mario 64 (the target of this set), they'd see the micro worlds and say, hey, just like in Mario 64!

Now for me personally, I have absolutely no nostalgia for Mario 64. I like the 2D Mario games and always thought 64 looked like utter garbage, an idea for which graphics at the time were not ready.

I think the question block looks pretty neat though.

As suspected, there is also an interactive feature with the Mario and Luigi figures where 10 hidden stars have to be collected :thumbup: Love that idea, and hoping for some cool 64 sound effects :wub:

I’m … disappointed. I really was expecting something a bit more fun. The micro scale scenes are just a bit lacklustre

I want to like it, I really do. All the little tile prints are neat, especially the puzzle tile, among many others. 

The folding mechanism is a neat function. 

But... I just can't. Those brick built mario/peach microfigs are just.... Wtf..

At least it appears they did the research into what represents each level very well. The levels themselves are neat little representations. 

I think what I'm feeling, is, by itself, its a good display set. But nothing will compare to getting something minifigure scale with minifigs. So if its not that, my view/opinion is skewed towards being more resentful of it because they're skirting around minifigs with everything else... 

8 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Microbuilt Mario is something out of the shadow realm

Yep lol

they really, really, really needed eyes :pir-skel:

I rather like it. I hope that the folding mechanism is elegant though. But I don't know if I'd want to spend $170 on it though, as compared to a modular, for example.

I think it’s funny everyone was expecting a full sized peach castle, but we got one on micro scale 🤣🤣 I saw the question mark also and was like wtf but funnily enough it’s a decent set, I like the Mario 64 references but that question mark though lol

Overall I like it and I'll probably buy it. It would have been nice if those microfigures were actual molded microfigures, not brick built.

So do we know what that bottom section is yet? I don’t see any pictures of it

I love it honestly. I do wish they would have done actual microfigs rather than the brick-built ones but it's not a huge deal. 

4 minutes ago, Modal said:

It's on the opposite side of where it opens and they don't show anything on the box or in the video. No idea.

5 minutes ago, Modal said:

There's definitely something down there. I assume it's supposed to be a secret, unadvertised feature like the hidden world inside the shell of the NES.

I'd guess a it's a 5th diorama. In terms of the game there's the cave level with the elevator and the dinosaur? The castle basement with the rabbit? Probably a Bowser boss course is most likely. Mario falls down a trapdoor into the first of those, so that's kind of 'subterranean' too. 

I really think it’s a bad set. The small dioramas and the huge block. Those sizes are just off with eachother. Also the placing on the block. Sure it’ll be a smart way how it unfolds but it is not pleasing to the eyes at all like that. 
and then the characters. Wow, where are the eyes. Lego cheaped out on eyes and now the ‘figs’ look misprinted.

i think the set is a failure. At least in my opinion

Now I think about it. How come we're getting the yellow ? block when this is a Mario 64 set?

Like that doesn't appear in the game at all. Those have red blocks.