Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

3 hours ago, Modal said:

So the majority of the set is a plain yellow block. 

Come on LEGO please just give us a god damn normal Mario set :hmpf_bad:

Can we see your MOC?

I just have to actually finish touching up the instructions for photoshop. Of course, the public should decide if t's any good or not. After all, having it be your own creation is going to make you more attached to it

4 hours ago, Modal said:

Wait people are excited about that? Am I the only one that’s extremely disappointed that we can’t just get a normal building set in the Mario World? I’m tired of these gimmicks. Was dying for a full fledged Mario 64 Peach’s Castle.

I guess I’ll wait until the official reveal to properly vent

Edit: I will say though if there’s micro Mario 64 levels inside that would be pretty cool. 

I'm gonna be honest, I feel the opposite—I wish this were a big set that's compatible with the existing Mario sets. I don't really have much desire for things to be split between that and minifigs (especially since so many Mario characters and subjects are not all that conducive to traditional "minifigure scale" in the first place), and this set, while an interesting microscale diorama, doesn't really scratch quite the same itch.

I hope that this maybe has at least some form of compatibility, like the NES did, but I also can't wait until we get an actual Peach's Castle playset with a "Lego Mario" version of the princess herself to add to levels.

21 minutes ago, jedisquidward said:

I just have to actually finish touching up the instructions for photoshop. Of course, the public should decide if t's any good or not. After all, having it be your own creation is going to make you more attached to it

You don’t get to claim your’s is better and then not have anything to show for it :laugh: come on give us a small snippet or something! 

I just want something like this but done professionally with the best LEGO architects and proper stickers.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-74817/S.Cossy/super-mario-peachs-castle/#details

EDIT: Ok sorry for all the posts, but the new leaked image shows a compartment on the bottom of the block as well. Any idea what is down there? Hopefully another level.

EDIT 2: Nope I was wrong, its just a place to stash the dioramas. I thought it would at least mechanically fold itself inwards. The set just got even more lame.

Edited by Modal

19 minutes ago, Modal said:

EDIT 2: Nope I was wrong, its just a place to stash the dioramas. I thought it would at least mechanically fold itself inwards. The set just got even more lame. 

Wait, so what flips over on the lid, just Lava Land and the Castle? Then you store in other two separately and clip them on?

It's a very weird set and 80% of the bricks seems to be spent on a cube to store the 20% that's actually interesting.

1 minute ago, Zepthire said:

Wait, so what flips over on the lid, just Lava Land and the Castle? Then you store in other two separately and clip them on?

It's a very weird set and 80% of the bricks seems to be spent on a cube to store the 20% that's actually interesting.

Yea. After the cool mechanics of the NES build I expected something...cooler. Idk it looks like a bore to build since the levels are so tiny.

16 minutes ago, Modal said:

new leaked image shows a compartment on the bottom of the block as well. Any idea what is down there? Hopefully another level.

It looks like the top flips and one of the sides of the block moves out to get the diorama scenes out of the block's interior, and then they can fold out to sit on top of the block.

And the flap on the opposite side of the block must open down so you can look inside and see an underground level? 

From squinting, it sure looks like we're getting:

Mario, Peach, and Yoshi brick-built micro figures

• Peach's Castle with castle interiors (?)
  • Bob-Omb Battlefield with King Bob-Omb
  • Cool Cool Mountain with brick-built micro Penguins

So, if that flap is an underground world, maybe it's a scene from Hazy Maze Cave?

2 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

It looks like the top flips and one of the sides of the block moves out to get the diorama scenes out of the block's interior, and then they can fold out to sit on top of the block.

And the flap on the opposite side of the block must open down so you can look inside and see an underground level? 

From squinting, it sure looks like we're getting:

So, if that flap is an underground world, maybe it's a scene from Hazy Maze Cave?

It's the Lava level

1 minute ago, nicknack116 said:

Looks like Lethal Lava Land underneath/Infront of the castle. Not sure if the castle is big enough to have any interior

Ok, so I don't have time to make my own MOC but imagine a ? Block that has the 4 sides fall completely down to have bigger micro scale levels on their inner walls, and then they all connect to Peach's Castle in the middle. That's what I thought this was going to be but this is basically a giant yellow block with 3 small builds you have to manually attach on top. 

Edited by Modal

3 minutes ago, Modal said:

It's the Lava level

3 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

Looks like Lethal Lava Land underneath/Infront of the castle. Not sure if the castle is big enough to have any interior

Yep! Right after I posted I saw the post on Lava Land and it's obvious now.

In that image of the 4 levels, the top-left one seems to show the castle raised up and maybe the main staircase?

It's definitely more raised than the other image of Peach's castle. So maybe there's at least a hint of an interior?

Edited by nicknack116

2 minutes ago, Modal said:

Ok, so I don't have time to make my own MOC but imagine a ? Block that has the 4 sides fall completely down to have bigger micro scale levels on their inner walls, and then they all connect to Peach's Castle in the middle. That's what I thought this was going to be but this is basically a giant yellow block with 3 small builds you have to manually attach on top. 

This is how I pictured it too, with an entire face taken up with a diorama. Take off the lid, fold it down and have a big sort of "playmat" of 5 levels. Would have been hard to not have the levels knock into each other when closed up but not impossible I don't think

44 minutes ago, jedisquidward said:

You've got to be kidding. There has to be more than this.

My thoughts, too. Not sure how much my expectations for a Peach Castle take away from my enthusiasm for the actual set, but the initial photos look rather uninteresting. Maybe there's a neat, hidden feature we can't see yet? I don't know. Even if there hadn't been rumors about Peach's Castle circulating, this would still be a little underwhelming. I'll wait for the official reveal and all details to make a final assessment.

5 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

In that image of the 4 levels, the top-left one seems to show the castle raised up and maybe the main staircase?

It's definitely more raised than the other image of Peach's castle. So maybe there's at least a hint of an interior?

Good spot. The bridge is noticeably off the ground and there are hints of a blue wall like the ones in the castle lobby so I think you are right.

2 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

This is how I pictured it too, with an entire face taken up with a diorama. Take off the lid, fold it down and have a big sort of "playmat" of 5 levels. Would have been hard to not have the levels knock into each other when closed up but not impossible I don't think

Well the good news is that this will hopefully inspire some talented MOCer's to take this set and make it more of what we want. Yea the idea we're talking of may have been difficult but LEGO has solved crazier problems. I just don't have the time/energy/talent to do it myself

1 minute ago, Zepthire said:

Good spot. The bridge is noticeably off the ground and there are hints of a blue wall like the ones in the castle lobby so I think you are right.

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Modal said:

inspire some talented MOCer's

Even if they don't completely redo this set, I'm guessing we're going to see MOCs of the other levels in Mario 64, too, which will be fun.

Kind of surprised there's no brick-built micro Bowser? Maybe that flap scene has a Bowser boss fight scene?

5 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

Even if they don't completely redo this set, I'm guessing we're going to see MOCs of the other levels in Mario 64, too, which will be fun.

Yea I think it would be cool to make a version that's open by default but contains even more of the 64 levels. 

The most disappointing thing for me though is that there's probably no interior of the castle with the Paintings. That's the coolest part of the game.

Edited by Modal

This new set looks dreadful. Lego keep producing sets no one asked for.

Looks a lot like 40290, but with a large price tag!

Edited by TheMainBricker

Ok the Peach's Castle part makes more sense to me. It looks like it lifts up and there's a mini interior of the main room. You can see the staircase and one painting. 

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

Not gonna happen any time soon just asume it like the rest of us lmao

I think there has to be more than those 4 micro levels? Like it seems really weird for this to be it?

Looks like 5. There is something in the bottom compartment. 

12 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Looks like 5. There is something in the bottom compartment. 

I think it's just for storing the dioramas. Otherwise we would see a picture of it on the back of the box.

Though seeing the pictures we have I'm wondering if the back side of the block completely comes down? Maybe that bottom section could display something when it's all emptied out. Guess we'll find out tomorrow

Edited by Modal

9 minutes ago, Modal said:

I think it's just for storing the dioramas. Otherwise we would see a picture of it on the back of the box.

Though seeing the pictures we have I'm wondering if the back side of the block completely comes down? Maybe that bottom section could display something when it's all emptied out. Guess we'll find out tomorrow

The picture where it shows the dimensions shows that hatch open. I find it odd they would do that if it wasn't meant to be displayed open. 

Not going to lie, the D2C looks great! If I was a bigger Mario fan, I might have just bought this. Besides, I don't have the space anyway.

13 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

The picture where it shows the dimensions shows that hatch open. I find it odd they would do that if it wasn't meant to be displayed open. 

Yea you're right. Honestly what's inside that gap may make or break the set for me. Having another good chunk of the block being used for something would help the build. I'm just worried because they don't highlight it as another level.

11 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Not only is it open with the castle, Cool Cool Mountain, and Bob-Omb Battlefield on top, but it sure looks like there's...something in that open space where that hatch is. We'll see tomorrow!

I'm just excited that LEGO is making a set based on Mario 64 AND that Nintendo approved it. It feels like Nintendo rarely licenses merchandise from past Mario games and opts for a more generic style (like the regular Mario sets) or toys based on the most recent game.

I hope that extends to the regular Mario line and we get to see them be more creative than adapting simple side-scrolling levels.

Waiting for a video to be made of someone uppercutting this lego ? block into pieces like Mario does in the game. Best possible use of this set :laugh: