Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

If this set sells well maybe we will get minifigures - a LEGO Minecraft scenario perhaps?

Why would they willingly jeopardise the sales of the current Mario line? :laugh:

The only way for them to release minifigs without self-cannibalism would be a D2C set, with Peach’s castle being the most likely candidate. Since the set won’t include any by the looks of it, they just blew their one chance, at least the way I see it :shrug_confused:

Peach's Castle doesn't strike me as large enough to get the microscale treatment, but okay. Maybe this is a smaller D2C. 

I wonder if instead of microfigs they do 8 or 16-bit "sprites" like the Mario in the NES set. 2D characters in a 3D space could be an interesting gimmick. :shrug_oh_well:

I'm still thinking that LEGO/Nintendo might be waiting for the Illumination movie for minifigure sets. Though I guess they might just take that as an opportunity to sell more of the large scale stuff.

20 minutes ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

Maybe this is a smaller D2C.

Definitely, it’s just $170 :classic:

21 minutes ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

I wonder if instead of microfigs they do 8 or 16-bit "sprites" like the Mario in the NES set. 2D characters in a 3D space could be an interesting gimmick. :shrug_oh_well:

Huh, hadn’t thought of that. Would certainly make more sense than nanofigs :laugh:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Definitely, it’s just $170 :classic:

Is that what passes for small now? I was thinking 80 USD. :tongue:

Maybe we'll get some nice landscaping and the moat. I'd love the courtyard filled with Boos too.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

2 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

Maybe we'll get some nice landscaping and the moat. I'd love the courtyard filled with Boos too.

Princess Peach's castle is also pretty fluid. While the N64 one is most memorable because you play inside it the whole game, it's also been represented in drastically different styles across other 2D, 3D, and side games (like Paper Mario). It's always got a different geography around it. So, I think the LEGO version will be a mish-mash of different versions to be its own thing. Rather than seeing just the N64 one represented.

I'd guess that Princess Peach's castle will be the main attraction, but my dream would be a more fleshed-out diorama with Mushroom Kingdom locales around it: a suspended Bowser's airship? A small Bowser castle? A small checkpoint castle? Hills with eyes on them? Toad Town? Maybe even segments around the castle's moat of desert, grasslands, lava, water, or a spooky section? 

Anyway, I'm rambling :) but I'm excited that the reveal is becoming more real. I'm guessing it'll be a day one purchase for me.

4 hours ago, SoupOrFishOil said:

I LOVE this idea even more than minifigs. If they found a way to create 'sprites' that integrate into the LEGO system, that would be so cool and unique.

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Why would they willingly jeopardise the sales of the current Mario line? :laugh:

The only way for them to release minifigs without self-cannibalism would be a D2C set, with Peach’s castle being the most likely candidate. Since the set won’t include any by the looks of it, they just blew their one chance, at least the way I see it :shrug_confused:

I know, I just meant further into the future.

I hate it when I will say it but I must admit - I have no idea what are 16-bit sprites?

Anyways, if they don’t do mircofigures, I would prefer mini figs over Ana no figures. I mean, I can introduce Mario characters to my collection. :)

I guess we may have to wait for CMF series (not Character Series) if it’s possible. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I hate it when I will say it but I must admit - I have no idea what are 16-bit sprites?

No worries! It's a weird phrase. I'm sure someone can "well, actually..." my response, but I'll give it a go...

Basically, we're referring to the way Mario looks in the original games on the NES (8-bit) and then on the SNES (16-bit). So, the little Mario that is "onscreen" in the LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System and TV set is a sprite (as are the goombas, mushrooms, etc.). We're just wondering if LEGO could introduce new Mario-specific, pixel figures.

Basically, more of these figures like the one in this picture, but for Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, etc. to be 2D characters in a 3D Princess Peach Lego set.

Mario.PNG

50 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

No worries! It's a weird phrase. I'm sure someone can "well, actually..." my response, but I'll give it a go...

Basically, we're referring to the way Mario looks in the original games on the NES (8-bit) and then on the SNES (16-bit). So, the little Mario that is "onscreen" in the LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System and TV set is a sprite (as are the goombas, mushrooms, etc.). We're just wondering if LEGO could introduce new Mario-specific, pixel figures.

Basically, more of these figures like the one in this picture, but for Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, etc. to be 2D characters in a 3D Princess Peach Lego set.

Mario.PNG

Now that makes sense a LOT! Thank you for your time to explain!

Yeah, I agree with you - it is a strange phrase that lost me here.  I never owned NES or SNES but only Wii and Switch. I guess I’m not enough to be a Nintendo guy (however, I did have GameBoy!).

Hmmm…I have to say - 16-bit sprite sounds interesting for Lego to introduce that way. 

10 hours ago, nicknack116 said:

Princess Peach's castle is also pretty fluid. While the N64 one is most memorable because you play inside it the whole game, it's also been represented in drastically different styles across other 2D, 3D, and side games (like Paper Mario). It's always got a different geography around it. So, I think the LEGO version will be a mish-mash of different versions to be its own thing. Rather than seeing just the N64 one represented.

I'd guess that Princess Peach's castle will be the main attraction, but my dream would be a more fleshed-out diorama with Mushroom Kingdom locales around it: a suspended Bowser's airship? A small Bowser castle? A small checkpoint castle? Hills with eyes on them? Toad Town? Maybe even segments around the castle's moat of desert, grasslands, lava, water, or a spooky section? 

Anyway, I'm rambling :) but I'm excited that the reveal is becoming more real. I'm guessing it'll be a day one purchase for me.

Ah, okay. I'm not a big fan of the 2D games or spinoffs so I mostly know Peach's castle from the 3D stuff where it either has a small role or is calling back to the N64 version. I'd be surprised if they don't go with something based on the N64/Odyssey design but who knows? I'm sure they have something more interesting in mind than just a facade of Peach's castle. The Hogwarts set had plenty of interior space. It was a lot larger than this will be, but if this is in a similar style (and they are both micro castles...) I could totally see different "rooms" being classic Mario level themes.

Bowser's Airship and a few Toad houses would be great too...probably shouldn't get my hopes up too much though. :P

See the source image

This is 16-bit Mario by the way for those who are unaware of what I meant when I suggested more sprite figures. This was a graphical update from the 8-bit one that came in the NES set. I'm going to expect statue figures until we hear otherwise but that would be a worst case scenario for me personally. I'm impressed by how well LEGO is able to paint them, but something always feels wrong about all of them having heads without wigs or hats, and that just won't do for Mario. (Not to mention scaling with Luigi and Toad, Peach's dress, etc., and what do you do with more animal characters like Bowser and Yoshi?) But maybe everyone is brick-built out of small pieces, kind of like tiny versions of what are in the sets now? IDK, but that seems possible too.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

To accommodate the different character shapes and sizes, maybe LEGO could go down the Minecraft 2012-2014 route:

21102-1.jpg?201202160800
I don’t believe the castle would as blocky as these Minecraft sets but I could definitely see the Nani figures being built like so.

9 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

To accommodate the different character shapes and sizes, maybe LEGO could go down the Minecraft 2012-2014 route:

That's a good point! Those original Minecraft sets could be a good reference point for this.

It would also explain why leaks have been so hard to come by if they're not making too many unique pieces or only printing small pieces that wouldn't necessarily be recognized as Mario-themed on their own?

59 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

It would also explain why leaks have been so hard to come by if they're not making too many unique pieces or only printing small pieces that wouldn't necessarily be recognized as Mario-themed on their own?

Great point, I didn't think of this, prints are still made on the side of 1x1 plates in the Speed Champions line. The prints are sooooo small!

1 hour ago, nicknack116 said:

Exactly. If the rumoured release date is correct, there‘s no way minifigs are involved because they would have leaked eons ago, especially when you consider the amount of new moulds that would be required. Same goes for newly-moulded nanofigs :shrug_oh_well:

I just hope something to represent the characters is included at all, no matter what it is (well, except cardboard cutouts maybe :tongue:). The castle would feel pretty lifeless otherwise

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I really don’t think the set is august atm

Ah i see. Well, thanks for giving us head-up!

10 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I really don’t think the set is august atm

Figured as much. Weird that it doesn‘t launch with the rest of the sets this time, but August is already incredibly busy :shrug_oh_well:

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but a white version of the 1x2 „brick brick“ is available on bricks and pieces. So far, it hasn‘t been found in any sets, so it’s very likely to debut in Peach‘s castle :classic: (or maybe in the Queer Eye set, whichever gets released first)

57 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but a white version of the 1x2 „brick brick“ is available on bricks and pieces. So far, it hasn‘t been found in any sets, so it’s very likely to debut in Peach‘s castle :classic: (or maybe in the Queer Eye set, whichever gets released first)

Not sure what you mean by “brick brick”? 

8 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Not sure what you mean by “brick brick”? 

It‘s the nickname for the 1x2 masonry brick, aka the brick that looks like a real-life stack of bricks in a wall :classic:

Lego Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Masonry Profile

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It‘s the nickname for the 1x2 masonry brick, aka the brick that looks like a real-life stack of bricks in a wall :classic:

Lego Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Masonry Profile

OH! That bricky brick! Duh me…:look:

38 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

How much are we expecting peach’s castle to be? Like £150-£200+, :moar: or like £350 :cry_happy:?

It's $170, so probably around £150? :classic:

Anyone knows when Peach’s Castle set would be revealed officially? Not sure if August would be likely for D2C to be revealed tho. 

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Anyone knows when Peach’s Castle set would be revealed officially? Not sure if August would be likely for D2C to be revealed tho. 

A little over a week ago, I was dead certain that we were going to get either a leak or an official reveal within a few days.  Clearly I was wrong, and as of now we're all still pretty much in the dark.  It's looking like a September release date is going to be more likely, but even that's speculation. The only concrete information we have right now is that the 1x2 masonry bricks in white are now in circulation, which MIGHT hint that the set is MAYBE in production? Even that could be reaching though, someone feel free to jump in if I got anything wrong.