Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Dang, these new sets are pretty good! The Reznor knockdown stands out the most to me of the three that were revealed, but the other too look good too. Lakitu's sky world looked too busy at first glance, but now that I've made sense of it, I like the function and how it looks. The boss sumo bro tower topple is pretty cool too, but I hope the model is stable enough to not topple over completely, especially at the connection point between the two tower pieces. The boss sumo bro looks fantastic though, and I love the use of the technic pieces so that he can peat his chest, but also to capture the look of the towels he has on his shoulders in the game! I like the inclusion of the blue toad in the Reznor knockdown, and the entire mechanism is very clever, and how you can interact with the various parts of the wheel/carriages. However, given how you need to rotate it with a character and also interact with it at different spots as well, I wonder if it's a hassle to do with only one character. Same issue with Lakitu's sky world, if you only have one character, a grand chunk of the build is superfluous, and while I guess you can crank the could spinner by hand, the spot for a character to stand next to Lakitu doesn't really work as well solo as it does in 2 player. In that sense, the topple tower handles it the best, in that there's space for 2 to work the function, but it's still convenient for 1.

However, the more we learn, the more and more impressed I am with Bowser's airship! A character can pilot the ship, and you can aim the cannon before firing it and it'll make the cannon sounds from 64! The ship has 3 separate tags you can hit to 'destroy' the entire ship, so the ship itself is like a boss! It's such an impressive set, both for play and display. I also love that it's so compact when folded up, especially since I'm moving out soon into a smaller space. This is the best video I've found showing all of the set's features, though it is in Spanish: (it's in the spoiler bar)

Spoiler

Also, seeing more of Mario and Luigi interact together, it's cool! The whole 'in-sync' part of it seems odd to me, since it's never really been a thing in the games, but I guess it works to foster a sense of team work. I like the back and forth on the bosses better, and the 2 player functionality built into the sets looks fun too. Another interaction I love is they ask each other if they're okay when they fall over or take damage, very wholesome. I can't wait to get this in august when it comes out!

On 6/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, NetherCreeper said:

Dang, these new sets are pretty good! The Reznor knockdown stands out the most to me of the three that were revealed, but the other too look good too. Lakitu's sky world looked too busy at first glance, but now that I've made sense of it, I like the function and how it looks. The boss sumo bro tower topple is pretty cool too, but I hope the model is stable enough to not topple over completely, especially at the connection point between the two tower pieces. The boss sumo bro looks fantastic though, and I love the use of the technic pieces so that he can peat his chest, but also to capture the look of the towels he has on his shoulders in the game! I like the inclusion of the blue toad in the Reznor knockdown, and the entire mechanism is very clever, and how you can interact with the various parts of the wheel/carriages. However, given how you need to rotate it with a character and also interact with it at different spots as well, I wonder if it's a hassle to do with only one character. Same issue with Lakitu's sky world, if you only have one character, a grand chunk of the build is superfluous, and while I guess you can crank the could spinner by hand, the spot for a character to stand next to Lakitu doesn't really work as well solo as it does in 2 player. In that sense, the topple tower handles it the best, in that there's space for 2 to work the function, but it's still convenient for 1.

However, the more we learn, the more and more impressed I am with Bowser's airship! A character can pilot the ship, and you can aim the cannon before firing it and it'll make the cannon sounds from 64! The ship has 3 separate tags you can hit to 'destroy' the entire ship, so the ship itself is like a boss! It's such an impressive set, both for play and display. I also love that it's so compact when folded up, especially since I'm moving out soon into a smaller space. This is the best video I've found showing all of the set's features, though it is in Spanish: (it's in the spoiler bar)

Hide contents

Also, seeing more of Mario and Luigi interact together, it's cool! The whole 'in-sync' part of it seems odd to me, since it's never really been a thing in the games, but I guess it works to foster a sense of team work. I like the back and forth on the bosses better, and the 2 player functionality built into the sets looks fun too. Another interaction I love is they ask each other if they're okay when they fall over or take damage, very wholesome. I can't wait to get this in august when it comes out!

Wow, that's really interesting!

I'd been wondering how the cannon would work. It didn't occur to me that it'd be an alternative start, but it makes sense to be one given that's how airship levels start in many games. Remind me, the 90-second timer it gives is new as well, isn't it? That feels like a nice functional difference that could benefit bigger levels.

Kamek's scan tile being under his cloak explains why it extends back so far. Truth be told I'm not 100% happy with how Kamek looks—I feel like the lack of sleeves has a negative impact, and almost can't help but wonder if he could have instead used the "Minion arms" from those sets, which could be done with azure sleeves and yellow hands. I do love his broom feature, though. I don't think there's ever been a game where Mario or Luigi ride Kamek's broom after knocking him off it, but it feels right as the kind of game feature there COULD be and it's a creative way to differentiate him from other enemies in Lego form. The pirate Goomba is also a great way of modifying a common enemy to make them slightly harder to defeat—they're still a normal Goomba but you have to physically knock their "hat" off to scan them. You could probably come up with some similar hat builds for those and other enemies whose scan tiles are on their heads, perhaps inspired by some of the hats in Super Mario Odyssey.

Seeing these sets has me wishing Lego would make Pokemon sets. Nintendo already has the largest and most popular toy manufacturer on Earth making its Mario sets, why not carry over one of your biggest franchises (I believe Pokemon outsells Mario in games, no?) over to the most successful toy manufacturer? I hope its just the contract waiting to expire, bc Mega Blox Pokemon was actually not that bad, and I think it set an example of how some of those designs could be brought to life in a brick format. Good lord I wish Pokemon would get a Lego theme.

18 hours ago, cosmic said:

Seeing these sets has me wishing Lego would make Pokemon sets. Nintendo already has the largest and most popular toy manufacturer on Earth making its Mario sets, why not carry over one of your biggest franchises (I believe Pokemon outsells Mario in games, no?) over to the most successful toy manufacturer? I hope its just the contract waiting to expire, bc Mega Blox Pokemon was actually not that bad, and I think it set an example of how some of those designs could be brought to life in a brick format. Good lord I wish Pokemon would get a Lego theme.

It's worth keeping in mind that Pokémon merch is not licensed by Nintendo itself but rather by The Pokémon Company—a three-way joint venture between Nintendo, Creatures Inc. (a second-party developer that is not owned by Nintendo but develops games almost exclusively for Nintendo systems), and Game Freak (a third-party developer that develops games for multiple platforms). Any licensing for the Pokémon brand would likely have to be done in a whole different process from Lego's negotiations with Nintendo alone for the Super Mario license (or any other franchises that are wholly owned by Nintendo).

19 hours ago, Lyichir said:

It's worth keeping in mind that Pokémon merch is not licensed by Nintendo itself but rather by The Pokémon Company—a three-way joint venture between Nintendo, Creatures Inc. (a second-party developer that is not owned by Nintendo but develops games almost exclusively for Nintendo systems), and Game Freak (a third-party developer that develops games for multiple platforms). Any licensing for the Pokémon brand would likely have to be done in a whole different process from Lego's negotiations with Nintendo alone for the Super Mario license (or any other franchises that are wholly owned by Nintendo).

Never considered that. I myself wonder how it could be done as there’s so many Pokemon it may be a huge chore to produce all those specialized moulds. I can see general bodies with pegs for leg attachments being used for pokemon of certain body types (like a general small “dog” body used for Vulpix, Eeevee, Herdier, and Elektrike. Maybe general mouth moulds for Salamence, Venosaur and Snorlax (?). Reusing wing moulds in production for certain flying types, I imagine it would be a challenge producing all those new moulds. But I can’t imagine it wouldn’t sell well.

Edited by cosmic

What’s going in regards to the Mario D2C, we’ve still not heard anything yet. 
Ive got a feeling it’ll either be a brick built Mario, Peaches Castle Micro scale or mini figure scale, SNES or Nintendo Switch. 
It would be interesting to see what it is 

7 minutes ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

SNES

I think a SNES can be ruled out for more than one reason. First off, the TV. The NES model itself is amazing, don’t get me wrong, but the TV is what made that set so special. A SNES model without it would feel pretty lackluster in comparison.

Secondly, as I’ve ranted about before, the US model is ugly as sin and the PAL/Japanese version is so different, they’d essentially be completely different models with next to no overlap if they decided to do a two-in-one :laugh:

13 minutes ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

brick built Mario

Hm, hadn’t thought of that before, that would also be neat :classic: Not sure what style they would choose though. A megafig like the recent Harry and Hermione wouldn’t require a D2C set and could instead be released as a regular retail set

17 minutes ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

Peaches Castle Micro scale or mini figure scale

Best-case scenario by far. $170 is a bit on the small side, but it could work. Can’t wait to see what they have in store for us!

How about a Gamecube that unfolds into scenes from its popular Mario games? Both the N64 and Wii would be too small for any kind of major set without a 'screen' build. None of the handhelds make sense on their own, but the GBA (the original more than the SP) is possible when paired with the Gamecube.

4 hours ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

It’ll be interesting what it will be, I’d love Mario mini figure scale sets 

Same here.

5 hours ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

Peaches Castle Micro scale or mini figure scale

Not that this is confirmation one way or the other (it could be from a completely different set or theme), but Bricks & Pieces recently added white 1x2 masonry bricks (that so far, haven't appeared in other sets in that color). If there were an upcoming Peach's Castle, it wouldn't necessarily be unlikely to use parts like that...

So last year's Mario D2C was officially revealed on July 14th and released on August 1st.  We had crystal clear photos of the box about a day before the reveal, blurry photos about a day before that, and a leaked photo of the exclusive Mario piece about two days before that.  Assuming that this year's D2C will be launching with the rest of the wave like last year, I'd guess that we're probably within a week of either an official reveal or pictures beginning to circulate. 

tldr: Lego Stores had this set in hand and photo leaks were beginning at about this time last year.  Any last guesses?

23 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

So last year's Mario D2C was officially revealed on July 14th and released on August 1st. 

I don‘t think the release date has ever been confirmed, but given how busy October and November appear to be, August or September does seem likely. In that case, we should indeed see it soon :sweet:

Since we haven‘t seen a single leak so far,   pretty much ruling out a minifig-scale build, I guess it‘s either a model of a console again (but not a SNES) or a brick-built character :classic:

Allegedly, it‘s Peach’s castle in microscale (:excited:) but without any minifigs (:cry2:). Take it with a grain of salt though, no reliable leaker has confirmed it yet

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Allegedly, it‘s Peach’s castle in microscale (:excited:) but without any minifigs (:cry2:). Take it with a grain of salt though, no reliable leaker has confirmed it yet

And it could just be people repeating the speculation here. It has happened before.

Looks like Augusts D2C reveals have begun.  The Volkswagen Van got officially revealed today and has an August 1st release date, and just about everyone is saying that the Republic Gunship is getting revealed Thursday and will also have an August 1st release date.  If we're getting our Mario D2C in August, we'll probably know about it in the next few days :excited:

30 minutes ago, Portal Out said:

If we're getting our Mario D2C in August, we'll probably know about it in the next few days :excited:

I'm afraid September is a bit more likely since there's also the rumoured Queer Eye set, and I doubt they'd release 4 D2C sets at once. As for the rest of the year, October is already pretty busy with the recently announced pickup truck plus the rumoured Tumbler, whereas November will mark the release of the AT-AT and the Titanic. September is not that busy with the only scheduled D2C set being the Hogwarts Icons Collection.

Considering all that, my money's on September :purrr:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I'm afraid September is a bit more likely since there's also the rumoured Queer Eye set, and I doubt they'd release 4 D2C sets at once. As for the rest of the year, October is already pretty busy with the recently announced pickup truck plus the rumoured Tumbler, whereas November will mark the release of the AT-AT and the Titanic. September is not that busy with the only scheduled D2C set being the Hogwarts Icons Collection.

On IG it says its peaches castle in micro scale for $170 and releases in august.   

Just now, zoth33 said:

On IG it says its peaches castle in micro scale for $170 and releases in august.   

Indeed, but the original post has since been deleted and no reliable leaker has confirmed it, so the jury's still out on that one :laugh:

1 minute ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Indeed, but the original post has since been deleted and no reliable leaker has confirmed it, so the jury's still out on that one :laugh:

I see.  thanks.  I didn't really look into the leakers history.  

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Hey, September is not so bad.  You're probably right though.  I totally forgot about that queer eye set.

Both stonewars and brickfanatics have picked up on the rumour and the former pretty much confirms it, so at this point it’s bound to happen :moar: Stonewars also confirm the release date as August 1st, so the reveal has to be imminent!

Stonewars are speculating about the potential nanofigs, but this doesn’t make much sense to me, even though it’s a microscale set. Accurate nanofigs would also require new moulds, so why not spend that budget directly on new minifig parts instead :tongue:

Not sure how well this set will sell if it indeed doesn’t include any minifigs. I’ll buy it day one, but that would definitely sting since I feel that this is our only chance

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Stonewars are speculating about the potential nanofigs, but this doesn’t make much sense to me, even though it’s a microscale set. Accurate nanofigs would also require new moulds, so why not spend that budget directly on new minifig parts instead :tongue:

Not sure how well this set will sell if it indeed doesn’t include any minifigs. I’ll buy it day one, but that would definitely sting since I feel that this is our only chance

Even the Hogwarts Castle had 4 minifigures (I don't like HP FYI). If this set sells well maybe we will get minifigures - a LEGO Minecraft scenario perhaps?

Edited by Anonknee Muss