Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Wow, that airship looks amazing! Definitely bigger than I would have expected for the theme (I would have probably expected a larger "sky level" with multiple small airships, rather than this full-sized one). A bit of a shame there aren't any Koopalings, but the enemies it does have (Magikoopa, Rocky Wrench, and a Pirate Goomba) are all great.

Okay, I wasn't planning on buying any Mario sets unless they started doing minifig-based stuff but that's definitely tempting. It genuinely looks like a proper set. I'm only hesitant because if they start doing minifig-based sets I can definitely see them doing another airship with desirable figures...

3 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

I'm only hesitant because if they start doing minifig-based sets I can definitely see them doing another airship with desirable figures...

If they’re releasing minifigs at some point, I can’t imagine them being included in anything other than D2C sets :classic:

First off, that way they wouldn’t cannibalise their sales and secondly, the amount of characters that would actually make sense as minifigs is pretty low anyway (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, and Pauline come to mind, and maybe some of the few humanoid enemies like Hammer Bros).

An airship could be a potential minifig-scale D2C set if they ever go down that road, but there’s other candidates with higher priorities IMO (Peach’s castle or the hub from Galaxy 2) :wink:

Minifig Mario sets could be nice, especially one of the Castles, even better if it's a full Castle on all sides (with hinges/modules) instead of a half-castle like Disney/Frozen/Angry Birds.

Minifgs would also be a reasonable way to make a Mario Kart spinoff (like Mighty Micros)

Edited by TeriXeri

The airship looks great! I like how it can open up, it kind of captures the more blocky look of the mario 3 airships like that. The black starter pipe/cannon is interesting, and it seems to give 90 seconds instead of 60, but I don't see why this set warrants the extra time. I want to see what the play feature that involves the hand is, since the box shows there's a barcode on the palm of the hand, and the technic mechanism attached to it. Also, the image with both mario and luigi being used at the same time implies some 2 player functionality, though it is interesting to see how all the boxes, packaging, and promotional images still mainly use mario, and only acknowledge luigi's existence. As one final comment, I like the goomba hat, and I actually kind of hope they make more silly goomba hats in the future. I can't wait to see the rest of the wave!

3 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

The airship looks great! I like how it can open up, it kind of captures the more blocky look of the mario 3 airships like that. The black starter pipe/cannon is interesting, and it seems to give 90 seconds instead of 60, but I don't see why this set warrants the extra time. I want to see what the play feature that involves the hand is, since the box shows there's a barcode on the palm of the hand, and the technic mechanism attached to it. As one final comment, I like the goomba hat, and I actually kind of hope they make more silly goomba hats in the future. I can't wait to see the rest of the wave!

More silly Goomba hats is a fun idea. I didn’t see a goomba tower (goombas standing on eachother) as well now i think of it. A lady goomba could fall in love with it. 
could it be that the hand is grabbing mario and putting him back at the start of the level? A bit like those Zelda-hands? I don’t really remember big hands in airships

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

If they’re releasing minifigs at some point, I can’t imagine them being included in anything other than D2C sets :classic:

First off, that way they wouldn’t cannibalise their sales and secondly, the amount of characters that would actually make sense as minifigs is pretty low anyway (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, and Pauline come to mind, and maybe some of the few humanoid enemies like Hammer Bros).

An airship could be a potential minifig-scale D2C set if they ever go down that road, but there’s other candidates with higher priorities IMO (Peach’s castle or the hub from Galaxy 2) :wink:

I definitely agree, part of the reason I’ve been so invested in just the character bags is because I think they could scale well next to minifigures some day (they might be oversized but most non-human Lego figures are out of scale anyway) 

1 hour ago, Borex said:

More silly Goomba hats is a fun idea. I didn’t see a goomba tower (goombas standing on eachother) as well now i think of it. A lady goomba could fall in love with it. 
could it be that the hand is grabbing mario and putting him back at the start of the level? A bit like those Zelda-hands? I don’t really remember big hands in airships

The giant hand comes from New Super Mario Bros. U, in some levels it acts as an obstacle by coming from above and punching the ground below. It also throws the characters different places in cutscenes.

1 minute ago, BigGuy4U said:

The giant hand comes from New Super Mario Bros. U, in some levels it acts as an obstacle by coming from above and punching the ground below. It also throws the characters different places in cutscenes.

Ah, ok! Now that I think about it, I do remember there being a large hand in the opening cutscenes of those games. Huh.

1 hour ago, Borex said:

I'd Love a goomba stack! Maybe it could be handled like the pokey?

On another note, I was wondering if the ship could be used as a storage place for extra mario parts/enemies while it's closed. It definitely looks like it has plenty of room inside, but how much of that is taken up by the hand? If there's storage room inside, then it's an even better set!

I finally just got the Mario Starter set.

I wasnt planing to, but it was 30€ since the box was broken. Not a huge fan of the builds, but I like Bowser Jr and Mario.

He's way smaller than I thought, but in a good way. My only complain is that he looks pretty much scary when turned off.

17 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Cool to see the new sets revealed so soon but this video is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen. 

Who the hell plays with their legos like that 

Okay, new set pictures! Yay for Bee Mario, I love the bee suit!

Sumo Bro tower looks cool! I can see what they’re going for, and I’ll take it. As for the other two . . I had to Google what a ‘Raznor’ is, and I’m not impressed at all. It’s like, I can see what they’re going for, but instead of that big complicated Ram mechanism, why not just design it so that you spin the wheel and move the Raznor over a seesaw, that Mario then jumps on to knock them off? Or, better yet, just have Mario headbutt them from underneath. Y’now, like he does in the actual fight in-game? (According to the wiki anyway, and given how closely the design mirrors what I saw there I think that’s what they’re going for.) And then we have Lakitu’s Cloud World . . uh . . It looks fun? But also like a huge mess. I can’t even tell what you’re supposed to do with any of it? There are sliding platforms and a semicircle and . . uh . . I don’t know? I’ll be very interested in the reviews for this one.

Still making the airship top priority though!

I like what I’m seeing here :sweet: Blue Toad is a nice addition, and Sumo Bro + Raznor are both excellent mini-boss choices, especially since they’re both from Super Mario World (which is still my favourite classic Mario game) :thumbup:

39 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Or, better yet, just have Mario headbutt them from underneath

You cant do that, because the barcode reader is underneath mario

The Bee and Frog suit will be the first suits i’ll buy. They look cool. I think i’ll buy the Cat suit too if i still can find it. 
Lakitu is really nice. One of my favorite characters also. 
Not completely sold on the Reznor and Sumo bro, but i really love that game, so i’ll try to get them eventually. 
The airship is the best build of all waves. 

And the best thing about all these builds is that you just want to play those old games again

11 hours ago, lego_guyon02 said:

Cool to see the new sets revealed so soon but this video is one of the cringiest things I've ever seen. 

I can't help but love this. It reminds me of the interpretive dances from the Chima theme. Click at your own peril. :tongue:

The new sets look nice for what they are. Sadly I have no interest in the app.

Edited by SoupOrFishOil

This wave would look ok at best on a display shelf, but honey looks like a lot of fun for kids to build and play.

In other words, I’d say this is a pretty good Lego Mario wave.  Glad to see that they’re still managing to come up neat ideas and finding new areas of the series to include in builds.  Gives me a lot of hope that they’ll continue to develop the Mario line, and hopefully the Nintendo liscense as a whole.

Hope we see the D2C and any retail exclusives during Legocon this weekend.

11 hours ago, Flak Maniak said:

So Bowser's airship... Boat hull pieces new in medium nougat, it looks like?

Yup! Also the 2x2 barrel is new in that same color (used for the end of Kamek's broom). Both should be really nice for historic builders.