Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

19 minutes ago, bradreed715 said:

I really would like to see both versions like we have with Simpsons. I see your point though. I feel like some characters have molded heads that definitely don’t need them and makes them look more like a normal action figure... *cough* Tusken Raider *cough* but for me Mario could go either way just because of how weird his head shape is. 

I was gonna say they could give Mario a regular head and a new moulded cap and moustache-nose combo, but I guess at that point you could just give him an entire head.

You know, I probably have choosen the very worst time to go against the moulded heads since it seems this is the one time the characters really really need them.

Anyway, when does the Luigi set drop, again? 👀

Edited by PGBQW

6 hours ago, Soupperson1 said:

Boom Boom confirms we’re getting a Koopa Kid in each of these, but he also reveals we still have 7 to go. He’s probably the least popular Koopa Kid as he and his sister Pom Pom are only late additions, which I believe are less than a decade old. I think he looks quite good, they could’ve easily messed up the fists.

Not to be that guy but I'm assuming when you say "Koopa Kids" you mean the Koopalings, of which there are 7 (Larry, Morton, Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig), Larry is the only one who has been in a set so far. Boom Boom isn't one of them (neither is Pom Pom), and he's actually as old as the Koopalings themselves - they were both introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1988. Pom Pom is a newer addition and first appeared in Super Mario 3D Land in 2011. There's also Bowser Jr., who first appeared in Super Mario Sunshine in 2002, and he's been in a set too. He's not one of the Koopalings either, but he's replaced them in their role as Bowser's children (Nintendo doesn't consider the Koopalings to be Bowser's children anymore).

Sorry for the tangent, I just really like this series lol

Just some wild speculation...

But earlier this week, we saw 2 of the Harry Potter sets leak on Amazon the day before a full dedicated press release came out. Could this be the same situation here? They’ve done a full press release for every other Mario wave so far (I suspect more so because of Nintendo’s and not LEGO’s want), so I would expect one for these too. If so, then maybe we’ll see something tomorrow! I’d especially like to see the videos that would come with it, hopefully showing Luigi in action with Mario as well, and how they work together. Maybe we’d see the other sets too, who knows! But, I don’t want to get hyped for nothing, so I’ll stay cautiously optimistic for tomorrow...

1 hour ago, NetherCreeper said:

But earlier this week, we saw 2 of the Harry Potter sets leak on Amazon the day before a full dedicated press release came out. Could this be the same situation here? They’ve done a full press release for every other Mario wave so far (I suspect more so because of Nintendo’s and not LEGO’s want), so I would expect one for these too. If so, then maybe we’ll see something tomorrow! I’d especially like to see the videos that would come with it, hopefully showing Luigi in action with Mario as well, and how they work together. Maybe we’d see the other sets too, who knows! But, I don’t want to get hyped for nothing, so I’ll stay cautiously optimistic for tomorrow...

Luigi has always been my favorite Mario character, going all the way back to 1986. Tomorrow (the 19th) is my birthday. LEGO, make it happen. :-D

I’m interested in the terrain depicted in the Luigi set. The dirt biome being official is great, but what is going on with all the sand green structures? It’s like some kind of sewer level. At least, I can’t think of anything else that poisonous water and rusty green structures might be referencing. Maybe we’ll get more sets in this design? That’d be interesting. 

2 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

If we do end up getting a reveal of this wave in the coming week, do you think we could be getting a reveal of the D2C as well?  I can't remember if the NES was revealed with the other sets or separately, so I might need someone to jog my memory.

4 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Not to be that guy but I'm assuming when you say "Koopa Kids" you mean the Koopalings, of which there are 7 (Larry, Morton, Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig), Larry is the only one who has been in a set so far. Boom Boom isn't one of them (neither is Pom Pom), and he's actually as old as the Koopalings themselves - they were both introduced in Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1988. Pom Pom is a newer addition and first appeared in Super Mario 3D Land in 2011. There's also Bowser Jr., who first appeared in Super Mario Sunshine in 2002, and he's been in a set too. He's not one of the Koopalings either, but he's replaced them in their role as Bowser's children (Nintendo doesn't consider the Koopalings to be Bowser's children anymore).

Sorry for the tangent, I just really like this series lol

I know what the Kooplings are. I called them the Koopa Kids as an umbrella term to also include Pom Pom, Boom Boom and Bowser Jr. :tongue: 

4 hours ago, Portal Out said:

If we do end up getting a reveal of this wave in the coming week, do you think we could be getting a reveal of the D2C as well?  I can't remember if the NES was revealed with the other sets or separately, so I might need someone to jog my memory.

The original wave of Super Mario sets were revealed in March last year, but the NES wasn't revealed until July. So unless the release for the D2C this year is earlier, I would doubt we'll see it soon...? Has there been any indication of the release month / quarter for the D2C? I may have missed it. 

15 minutes ago, PhoenixBuilder said:

So unless the release for the D2C this year is earlier, I would doubt we'll see it soon...? 

I don’t think we have an official release date yet, but it would make sense for the D2C set to get released in August along with the other sets, just like last year :classic: The NES only got leaked a mere 2 weeks before its release, so something like that could happen again this year.

...unless the minifig rumour pans out, in which case they might leak before the set itself of course :grin:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

39 minutes ago, PhoenixBuilder said:

The original wave of Super Mario sets were revealed in March last year, but the NES wasn't revealed until July. So unless the release for the D2C this year is earlier, I would doubt we'll see it soon...? Has there been any indication of the release month / quarter for the D2C? I may have missed it. 

When does the rest of the wave release?

7 hours ago, Portal Out said:

Nah, the NES was revealed later on it's own. D2Cs are revealed much closer to release than other sets.

Another small comment, but why does boom boom have the spiky shell piece? I’m pretty sure his shell is smooth in game. If it’s dark red, then there’s no way to replace it, so we’re stuck with that innacuracy.

Edited by NetherCreeper

4 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

Nah, the NES was revealed later on it's own. D2Cs are revealed much closer to release than other sets.

Another small comment, but why does boom boom have the spiky shell piece? I’m pretty sure his shell is smooth in game. If it’s dark red, then there’s no way to replace it, so we’re stuck with that innacuracy.

I was surprised by that too, given his lack of spikes in some recent appearances (3D Land/World), which are primarily where I recognized him from. However, in other games (Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Run, New Super Mario Bros. U, and spin-offs like Mario Tennis Aces), he does in fact have a spiked shell. So it turns out it's not really inaccurate, at least not for all of the times he's appeared.

Looks like Bohner’s credibility just went up a notch (his Marvel CMF series distribution info just panned out), so maybe he’s right about the Mario D2C set as well :laugh: Not ready to get my hopes up just yet though, still needs some corroboration

Yeah, but (if I’m understanding correctly) he had posted a prior cmf list that was false. As he put it in the marvel forum, he had a “dubious source” but now has a new one. So, I would still be cautions about whatever he has posted in the past. 

I was right! I was just off by a day. However, all we saw officially revealed today was the Luigi starter course, and none of the other sets. https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/adventures-with-luigi-starter-course-71387?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUS-oSv%2FvWYkQIY-2014326-115554-1
There are some interesting things to note, though, like how the video posted on social media shows that Yoshi actually has a new interaction in that scanning the tile makes the next enemy you defeat be locked by yoshi instead of stomped. I’m assuming it works like a one time star power-up, instantly defeating the next enemy and maybe some extra coins. I like the new sound effects added, with Luigi saying Yoshi’s name and the classic ‘mlem’ sound. The nougat color is described as the “tower” biome, that feels like a weird choice, but we’ll see what they do with it. Another thing, the video doesn’t show this, but the box does indeed confirm that Mario and Luigi connect to each other via bluetooth. However, nothing in the product description says what this interaction is, and they really seem to be focusing on Luigi as it’s own independent product. I guess we’ll see that later, closer to release maybe? 

Is it just me or Luigi sounds slightly off?

Anyway, can't wait to get him!

Just now, PGBQW said:

Is it just me or Luigi sounds slightly off?

Anyway, can't wait to get him!

Probably just you, he sounds like he always does :wink:

The Fuzzy polybag has leaked too. Nothing special, except for the new fungus platform. I expect that to show up in at least one of the regular sets as well :sweet:

I pre-ordered the Luigi set from Target. Last year they shipped much sooner than S@H, where things tend to hang around "in warehouse."

4 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

I’m assuming it works like a one time star power-up, instantly defeating the next enemy and maybe some extra coins.

I was looking at the video again and realized that the Yoshi is still on Luigi's chest after the Goomba is defeated, so maybe it's like a mushroom and only goes away after damage is taken? Maybe that's all it does, since I feel like anything else might be overpowered, idk.

I'm kind of disappointed there's no pre-oerder set like the monty-mole one last year. I'm still disappointed I missed out on that one, my Lego store ran out of stock day one, but I'd like to try again. Heck, they don't even offer the polybag as a pre-order bonus, so I really don't see a reason to pre-order this at all. I'll just wait till august.

8 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

I was looking at the video again and realized that the Yoshi is still on Luigi's chest after the Goomba is defeated, so maybe it's like a mushroom and only goes away after damage is taken? Maybe that's all it does, since I feel like anything else might be overpowered, idk.

I'm kind of disappointed there's no pre-oerder set like the monty-mole one last year. I'm still disappointed I missed out on that one, my Lego store ran out of stock day one, but I'd like to try again. Heck, they don't even offer the polybag as a pre-order bonus, so I really don't see a reason to pre-order this at all. I'll just wait till august.

The idea of a "pre-order bonus" for a Lego set was pretty unprecedented for Lego and probably was only done to build anticipation for the theme as a whole. I'm not really surprised that they aren't taking the same approach for this—after all, those pre-orders sold out incredibly quickly and the theme launched to massive demand, so Lego probably no longer sees the need to try to further incentivize preorders beyond the pent-up demand that already exists. Anyway, considering that you missed out on that one, perhaps it's for the best that the summer/fall wave of these sets will presumably all be getting a full release with adequate supply instead of making one of the sets only available through limited-time promotions like preorders or gifts with purchase.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

The idea of a "pre-order bonus" for a Lego set was pretty unprecedented for Lego and probably was only done to build anticipation for the theme as a whole. I'm not really surprised that they aren't taking the same approach for this—after all, those pre-orders sold out incredibly quickly and the theme launched to massive demand, so Lego probably no longer sees the need to try to further incentivize preorders beyond the pent-up demand that already exists. Anyway, considering that you missed out on that one, perhaps it's for the best that the summer/fall wave of these sets will presumably all be getting a full release with adequate supply instead of making one of the sets only available through limited-time promotions like preorders or gifts with purchase.

Yeah, that’s another way of looking at it, but I was more so thinking how great it was to get a set like that for free, something that was really substitutional and didn’t require spending more that $100 at once to get. Ehh, it really doesn’t matter too much anyways.

It is interesting to note how many more pre-orders LEGO does these days. Since last year there’s been quite a few. I feel like it’s a way to get to a more adult crowd, since they’re probably more likely to do that than the parents of a kid, at least in my opinion. 

Edited by NetherCreeper

10 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

Yeah, that’s another way of looking at it, but I was more so thinking how great it was to get a set like that for free, something that was really substitutional and didn’t require spending more that $100 at once to get. Ehh, it really doesn’t matter too much anyways.

It is interesting to note how many more pre-orders LEGO does these days. Since last year there’s been quite a few. I feel like it’s a way to get to a more adult crowd, since they’re probably more likely to do that than the parents of a kid, at least in my opinion. 

I think it's both that and a response to a surge in demand—preorders give them at least a little more advance notice of what initial demand will be like, allowing them to adjust their production and distribution forecasts accordingly. It's a good idea to some extent, though compared to say, video game preorders, Lego's production pipeline is less nimble than printing off digital media, so even if they adjust their forecasts based on preorders, it takes a while for the results of those sorts of changes to come to fruition.