Captain Nemo

Super Mario 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

As @just2good points out in his video, the SNES has two very different designs, the butt-ugly US version and the superior version sold in Japan and Europe (and presumably the rest of the world). Sorry US fans :tongue:

The designs are so different they wouldn’t be able to do a 2-in1 set, and so they’d have to select one of the two. I’m a completionist, so please don‘t make me buy a model of the US travesty :snicker:

The first time I‘ve seen it was in an early AVGN episode, and back then I thought he got his hands on a prototype or something before realising this was the final design over there :sick: Purple buttons?! What were they thinking?! :head_back:

Edited by Lego-Freak

8 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

As @just2good points out in his video, the SNES has two very different designs, the butt-ugly US version and the superior version sold in Japan and Europe (and presumably the rest of the world). Sorry US fans :tongue:

The designs are so different they wouldn’t be able to do a 2-in1 set, and so they’d have to select one of the two. I’m a completionist, so please don‘t make me buy a model of the US travesty :snicker:

The first time I‘ve seen it was in an early AVGN episode, and back then I thought he got his hands on a prototype or something before realising this was the final design over there :sick: Purple buttons?! What were they thinking?! :head_back:

Not entirely accurate, they're actually two equivalent (but separate) consoles. The Super Famicom was released only in Japan, and the rest of the world got the SNES. This also happened with the NES where Japan instead got the Famicom with a very different design. Since Lego chose to make a set of the NES, if we get the SNES as a set then it's going to be the SNES and not the Super Famicom.

Apologies for the mini-history lesson, I'm a bit of a Nintendo nerd and felt the need to jump in.

4 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Not entirely accurate, they're actually two equivalent (but separate) consoles. The Super Famicom was released only in Japan, and the rest of the world got the SNES.

You sure about that? Of course the name was different, but unlike the NES, the European SNES looked exactly like the Japanese version :wink: The odd one out was the US version

Super Famicom: 

320px-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-Set-FL.png

US garbage:

320px-SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.png

PAL version:

320px-Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg

Edited by Lego-Freak

Just now, Lego-Freak said:

You sure about that? Of course the name was different, but unlike the NES, the European SNES looked exactly like the Japanese version :wink: The odd one out was the US version

Huh, I actually didn't know that. Yep you're right, the American SNES is the odd one out, the European SNES has the same design as the Japanese Super Famicom.

In that case I don't really know what we'd get. We'll just have to wait and see, though personally I don't think there's going to be any more console sets anyway.

There also is a redesign of the NES that was released in the US (I had it). It was a top load design like the SNES. It made using peripherals, like the Game Genie, easier to use.

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Super Famicom: 

US garbage:

PAL version:

While aesthetics are a matter of opinion, looking at these I still think the U.S. version would be more likely to be released as a set, if for no other reason than the fact that like the original NES compared to the Famicom, the U.S. SNES is "boxier" and thus would probably be easier to adapt accurately with Lego bricks. The subtle curves of the Super Famicom/European SNES feel like they'd require more compromises.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

While aesthetics are a matter of opinion, looking at these I still think the U.S. version would be more likely to be released as a set, if for no other reason than the fact that like the original NES compared to the Famicom, the U.S. SNES is "boxier" and thus would probably be easier to adapt accurately with Lego bricks. The subtle curves of the Super Famicom/European SNES feel like they'd require more compromises.

Completely understandable point of view. 

However, either way they go, they will be essentially shutting down half a market. It depends which market has the bigger potential for sales... US or uk/eu/Japan. 

Most people in the UK who had a snes probably have no clue what the US version looks like (my opinion, butt ugly and not iconic/leaves no feeling of nostalgia, and looks bland). The curvature of the EU snes and style, buttons, joypad, all just touches that part of my heart in my memory. I'm sure it could be possible, especially for someone like Mike psiaki who is a genius with curves and odd shaping. 

However, I still probably won't be buying it, as I need to limit my purchases. Nintendo minifig stuff will be where I'm at. If it ever happens :( 

@RedHoodPug your son still enjoying the theme? My 6 yr old son was gaga over the starter plus CMFs on Christmas then forgot about it until this week. After adding Yoshi’s house and Boomer Bill he’s back playing when he can’t play on the TV.

I still don’t find the theme that exciting personally but it’s clearly a reasonable hit with my son so I will continue to buy and add on. 

One piece I am excited to see is the time block, as I am building some very large courses and it’s tough to get through them in time without cheating. 

So I got the Chain Chomp set and . . . I’m honestly disappointed. I knew I’d get it as soon as I saw it because I have a lot of nostalgia for Chain Chomp from playing Mario Kart when I was eight (weird that being attacked by something over and over again because I was too dumb to go around it is a fond memory but whatevs) but this thing? It’s just much too small. I think of Chain Chomps and I think of huge slavering monsters, but this thing? It’s smaller than Mario. It’s smaller than Toad. I can only picture it as a baby of some kind. (And that’s not getting into the fact that it isn’t even remotely spherical.)

Then there’s the action feature - supposedly. I’ve seen what it’s supposed to do but it just doesn’t work for me. Instead of flying off or even being knocked away, the Chain Chomp just bounces back and curls up into a ball. The ‘action tiles’ are still very much covered, both of them. The best fix I’ve found is to remove the coin block entirely and put it somewhere else, in which case the Chain Chomp bounces back and ‘shows its belly’, at which point Mario can lie on his back and kick it.

I can’t really complain about the Bram-Ball? It’s another single-hit bad guy. At least it’s a unique design. 

I . . I say this very rarely. I love LEGO, a lot. But I’m looking at this set and thinking that this was not worth the money I paid for it. It’s just not a good set, and I wish I hadn’t bought it. 

32 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

It’s just much too small. I think of Chain Chomps and I think of huge slavering monsters, but this thing? It’s smaller than Mario. It’s smaller than Toad. I can only picture it as a baby of some kind.

Chain Chomps vary quite a lot in their size in-universe. The one in Super Mario 64 for instance is huge, but the ones found in most 2D Mario games are about as large as Mario himself :wink:

Edited by Lego-Freak

59 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Chain Chomps vary quite a lot in their size in-universe. The one in Super Mario 64 for instance is huge, but the ones found in most 2D Mario games are about as large as Mario himself :wink:

Really? Most of the ones I’ve seen have been massive. Maybe I need to play more Mario games. :P

6 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Really? Most of the ones I’ve seen have been massive. Maybe I need to play more Mario games. :P

Yep, here's a screenshot from New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Consistent scale isn't really something Nintendo seems to focus on, and for that matter Lego doesn't seem to either with this theme thanks to the giant Mario.

NSMBW_Chain_Chomp_Screenshot.png

17 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

See SMB3. 

As a Canadian, I just want to say that the "U.S." SNES is actually also the "Canadian SNES" :)  We had the same one and, although I know the consensus is that it's disgusting and has no nostalgia, for those of us that grew up with it, we absolutely have nostalgia for it.  I wonder if Mexico also had the same one, in which case it would be the "North American" SNES rather than the U.S. one?

On 2/12/2021 at 12:04 AM, thekeeperofthereaper said:

ok i think the 160 set out in summer will be a giant buildable mario or bowser

Bowser or Yoshi I reckon. I don’t think Lego is prepared to recolour a bunch of pieces in flesh to do a Mario model. Just look at pictures of the leaked Batman Cowl set. It’s completely black with no flesh coloured pieces for the chin.

The Mario theme got a special mention in the 2020 annual report as the „most successful launch“ :sweet: Ahh, the sweet taste of vindication

On 1/25/2021 at 1:28 AM, KevinMD said:

@RedHoodPug your son still enjoying the theme? My 6 yr old son was gaga over the starter plus CMFs on Christmas then forgot about it until this week. After adding Yoshi’s house and Boomer Bill he’s back playing when he can’t play on the TV.

I still don’t find the theme that exciting personally but it’s clearly a reasonable hit with my son so I will continue to buy and add on. 

One piece I am excited to see is the time block, as I am building some very large courses and it’s tough to get through them in time without cheating. 

Sorry for the long delay, I thought I had replied :facepalm: 

With his ADHD his interests are many and varied, and come and go with the wind. Right now he’s not into it, but it’ll come around again and he’ll be full on, set up the whole thing and play it continuously. 
I agree with the time block, as we’ve got a course that fills up half of the dining table and everything has to be involved.

5 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

The Mario theme got a special mention in the 2020 annual report as the „most successful launch“ :sweet: Ahh, the sweet taste of vindication

Ha ha, and with THAT, Happy Mario Day! Hard to believe it was a year ago that we got our first glimpse of this fun theme.

Happy Mar10 day!  I know I was hoping for some new set announcements, but hearing that Mario had the best launch of 2020 was probably the best announcement I could've hoped for.  Looks like Lego Mario is here to stay!

Really hoping in a month or so we'll not only have set names but some actual pics of the summer sets. I'm still naively keeping my fingers crossed for Luigi with maybe some Haunted Mansion action. 

Still no updates on summer so far. My biggest hopes include:

• A Peach's Castle set, which would be great for either the start of a level (the castle being attacked to kick off an adventure) or the end of one (visiting the princess for a reward after beating the bad guys).
  • More boss battles, since the Bowser and King Boo boss battles have had some of my favorite gameplay so far. Among others, Gooper Blooper would be great for the boss of a water and/or poison level, and Petey Piranha could be a fun boss as well (especially if beating him involved knocking him over to scan his "belly button" like in Sunshine). But less common bosses like King Bob-omb or Goomboss could work as well.
  • Other Koopalings! Now that we've gotten Larry, the others would be great to get as well. Maybe one or two of them could be the "bad guy" for a big Peach's Castle set, attacking in an airship or something.
  • Snow levels! I don't know if they'd work as a detectable "biome" like the Soda Jungle, since the dominant color (white) is used for other things already, but it'd make for neat scenery either way. One idea I had is a Snow Pokey set where you can knock it down by rolling a big snowball down a hill, instead of using a hammer like in the Desert Pokey set.

21 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Still no updates on summer so far.

Lego sure knows how to avoid leaks from this theme.  We got the prices moths ago and that's it.

18 hours ago, Portal Out said:

Lego sure knows how to avoid leaks from this theme.  We got the prices moths ago and that's it.

Indeed, surprisingly. Apart from Jurassic World, it’s the only theme we still don’t have any set names for :shrug_oh_well: There has been a Luigi starter pack rumour floating around, but that’s it