Captain Nemo

Disney Properties 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Exactly. Ten years down the line can we please stop questioning if Lego was doing ‘something bad’ by catering to 50% of its potential market share? So what if mini dolls are more appealing to girls than mini figs? And.... if Lego wants to sell to girls, better to include minidolls then. They are 50% of the market, and they’re a zillion times better than any of the competition on the same scale.

10 hours ago, TheMainBricker said:

I doubt from a model POV the set won't be up to much as it will focus more on play factor then display factor. So it's strange doing an expensive D2C set aimed at children, when these sets need to be in as many toy shops as possible, not limited to Lego.com and Lego stores. Can't see it doing well.

I'm not sure about other countries, but I do know in the US that some sets that are technically D2C have ended up at big-box retailers.  I was just at a Target store today and they had some of the 18+ Mosaics (Marilyn Monroe, Star Wars, Marvel), the Book Shop Modular, Elf Clubhouse, Ford Mustang, and like one or two others sets that I thought were Lego exclusives.  I don't think every store carries them, but it does seem as though they're trying to get sets like this Frozen Castle into stores where their customer base will be less specialized than just those shopping at Lego.com or in a Lego store.  

1 minute ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'm not sure about other countries, but I do know in the US that some sets that are technically D2C have ended up at big-box retailers.  I was just at a Target store today and they had some of the 18+ Mosaics (Marilyn Monroe, Star Wars, Marvel), the Book Shop Modular, Elf Clubhouse, Ford Mustang, and like one or two others sets that I thought were Lego exclusives.  I don't think every store carries them, but it does seem as though they're trying to get sets like this Frozen Castle into stores where their customer base will be less specialized than just those shopping at Lego.com or in a Lego store.  

Pretty much all of those were never Lego Shop@Home exclusives. Some Legoland exclusives ended up in Target because of the park shutdowns for Covid prevention (mentioned in the City thread some time ago), but the website didn't have that issue. Many of those sets saw delayed US retail release, and spotty availability, because there was a production shortfall because of the pandemic, but Shop@Home was still able list them for backorder.

Definitely lost interest in this if it features minidolls instead of minifigures. At the same time, I'm grateful that at least a D2C Disney set featuring minidolls is based on a newer property like Frozen. It would have bothered me way more if one of Disney's classic properties had gotten a set without minifigures instead, like Snow White, Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty.

I'm also in the camp that this divide between minifigures and minidolls is sexist and regressive. I thought we were leaning away from "boys toys" and "girls toys" but as long as the minidoll sets exist, there's still this sense that Lego isn't for girls unless it features minidolls. I'm female and I can't see why minifigures would be considered for boys only. I love dolls but if I want them, I'd go looking at Barbie or Polly Pocket, not Lego.

Edited by JeanGreyForever

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

Pretty much all of those were never Lego Shop@Home exclusives. Some Legoland exclusives ended up in Target because of the park shutdowns for Covid prevention (mentioned in the City thread some time ago), but the website didn't have that issue. Many of those sets saw delayed US retail release, and spotty availability, because there was a production shortfall because of the pandemic, but Shop@Home was still able list them for backorder.

Yep, they did have the Legoland exclusives too, which I assumed was Covid related.  I know that Disney Parks had similar stuff with their Cars and Star Wars merch, as a lot of stuff that was supposed to be park exclusive in the summer ended up getting sent to Target stores. 

Anyway, I know I've seen some of those sets on Target's website before, but I was under the impression that the modulars and winter village stuff was Shop@Home/Lego brand stores only.

Castle leaked, it looks stunning even with the dolls. I might consider getting my own figs and hopefully it would work that way.

Well, the first pic is out there, and it looks.... awesome! I honestly don't see how, if anyone is genuinely interested in the ice palace, that interest would completely evaporate just because the four figures are minidolls and not minifigures.

Huh?

Shouldn't this have the black artbox?

It's a D2C, right?

That massive confidential watermark on it tho...yikes for that guy 

Just now, Robert8 said:

Huh?

Shouldn't this have the black artbox?

It's a D2C, right?

14+ so regular box art, 18+ black boxes I’m pretty sure

I only had mild interest in this set. Seeing it now, I feel they did the best they could, but it just seems a little off to me. Can't quite place my finger. It'll be a pass for me, but I'm sure anyone who was excited for this will not be disappointed.

Also, while minidolls don't interest me, I applaud Lego for catering to more of their fan base. I'm sure how well this set does will be a gauge for if minidolls have a future place in D2C's.

Maybe I need to wait to see a higher-res image, but I'm not a big fan of the exterior from what I've seen so far. I think I've been spoiled by some excellent MOCs all over the Internet.

30 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

14+ so regular box art, 18+ black boxes I’m pretty sure

Got it

Thanks

I think the shaping of the build is absolutely perfect! I’m shocked they were able to achieve such! My only problem is the set uses too much white. There really should not have been any at all. :pir-hmpf_bad: I am kind of disappointed with the figures too. The only new character is coronation Elsa, though the second slot seems to be missing? The next three figures are just from the 4+ set with capes and there’s a new Kristoff (who now has tan hair?) too. I’m really sad there’s no Hans, as he seems like such an easy character to design and everyone wants him. XP Oh I do think the price is fair too! I’m sure there’s no interior, but it doesn’t look that much smaller than The Disney Castle which was €150 more and it definitely looks twice as a big as the Pooh set.

I am definitely planning on getting this set and I am not really a D2C collector (I only have two)! 

Looks great, but it being a part of the regular Disney theme, formerly known as Disney Princess, kills it for me :sceptic: As a completionist (sort of), I can’t justify getting this and not the dozens of other sets in the theme, to me it’s either everything or nothing :tongue: 

There’s a four plus set, and a 6-12.... it’s only the 13 year olds that are without an ice castle! 

Frozen is one of my favorite Disney movies so I was really excited for this set. The build, although it uses too much white, looks fantastic but as a massive fan of minifigures those minidolls are a dealbreaker for me. Why is this a minidoll set? There are already like 3 or 4 minidoll-iterations of the castle (one of which is coming out this year), throw us minifig fans a bone!

1 hour ago, Soupperson1 said:

The only new character is coronation Elsa, though the second slot seems to be missing?

Pretty sure it's a Snowgie.

Erm ok .. so it’s not bad .. too much white .. will wait for a better image .. first impression is it’s now a total pass from me .. but that’s just my thought .. ok Lego I’ll happily let you make it up to us minifigure fans by realising the Snow White Cottage that’s up for consideration in the current review will sell like hot cakes as long as you give us minifigures and not the ghastly minidolls .. thank you 😂😂

15 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

Erm ok .. so it’s not bad .. too much white .. will wait for a better image .. first impression is it’s now a total pass from me .. but that’s just my thought .. ok Lego I’ll happily let you make it up to us minifigure fans by realising the Snow White Cottage that’s up for consideration in the current review will sell like hot cakes as long as you give us minifigures and not the ghastly minidolls .. thank you 😂😂

Seems like a good chance. There’s precedent with Steamboat Willie and Winnie the Pooh for Disney Ideas sets.

23 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Seems like a good chance. There’s precedent with Steamboat Willie and Winnie the Pooh for Disney Ideas sets.

Those two sets passing review give me hope for Snow White as well. Besides the historical value of the movie that will make it appeal to beyond just Disney fans, it's also an easy way to get minifigures of all seven dwarfs quickly made since there's no way we could get them all at once with the CMF line.

I’m hoping so .. this is the second time it’s been up for review though .. and this time there are 57 ( I think .. or is that Heinz ? anyway .. ) the creator of the cottage made improvements .. took out the wishing well .. it’s perfect as it is .. ticks so many boxes .. iconic .. Disney’s first feature length film .. great play set because as Snow White herself says .. it’s just like a dolls house .. and NO that doesn’t mean it warrants minidolls .. c’mon Lego .. do the right thing this time 🙏🏼🙏🏼

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

The build, although it uses too much white, looks fantastic but as a massive fan of minifigures those minidolls are a dealbreaker for me.

If you like the build and the Disney property, how is the presence of four minidolls a deal-breaker? I'm honestly curious.

The two main figures are already available as wonderfully done minifigures, so we're really only missing an official Kristof. Olaf wouldn't be that much different if he was in a minifigure set than the way he is now - though the latest versions have minidoll arms, he still doesn't scream "minidoll" to me.

3 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

If you like the build and the Disney property, how is the presence of four minidolls a deal-breaker? I'm honestly curious.

My favorite thing about the LEGO brand in general is minifigures so when a set has no/bad figs it loses a lot of value for me. The build of the set may be great but we're still talking about a $200 set here and the castle alone is just not worth that kind of money imo. Besides that LEGO is bringing out a ton of great products this year and 2022 is going to be bonkers for my main themes (Jurassic World, Harry Potter and Marvel) so all things considered those $200 are better spent elsewhere.

Hard to tell frankly, because the castle is covered in watermarks, but this set is, I think, medium for me. Regardless of it including minifigures  or minidolls, I did not have any doubt that the build would be very well done, and it appears to be. Is there too much white? Maybe, but I personally think it’s early to judge yay or nay, at least from this photo. 

To clarify/elaborate my position on minifigures vs minidolls—here in this specific set—I wish they were minifigures.

My opinion, since the first rumblings of this set on the horizon, has been: for the sake of “newness” this set must include minifigures. I’m tired of buying the same set over and over again. What makes this castle different than last three? four? Elsa castles we already have—the price and literal scale yes—but what is exclusive? Unique? Why buy this over the others; why buy this if I have the others? And look, that was always going to be a problem because of the subject matter; Elsa’s castle is popular and we’ve understandably received other versions already. That doesn’t mean we cannot or should not have this version. But it means this version should have something more. Something fresh. 

Inherently, this castle should be empty. Elsa did not conjure up furniture or paintings for the walls. Despite what Lego would have you believe, there is unfortunately no ice cream machine within the castle walls. So how could we add something fresh? Other than by simply making it taller and more expensive? The characters! Minidolls however limit that; Lego for whatever reason, most likely cost, doesn’t want a minidoll set to have more than the bare minimum included. Where is Hans? His exclusion here is egregious. Where is marshmallow? Where is Sven? Why not have the whole gang finally together at last in this, the ultimate Frozen set? Sven has more screen time with the castle than the Snowgies—they’re not even in the movie! Snowgies are here because Lego already made them, rather makes them, for the other multiple current and upcoming Frozen castles! 

I could ramble about this for a while, and I suspect I will again; I’m clearly very cynical about the Disney (princess) theme. So I’ll end for now with this: set is mmm... 8/10. Lovely box art. Will buy. :thumbup:

:blush:

I think calling this set D2C (which it technically may be) is misleading as it's not for AFOLs. If this was just announced as another set in the Disney Princess line no one would be bothered. The inclusion of mini-dolls is the biggest sign that this is not for AFOLs. The 14+ age rating is strange as this is a set targeted at young girls. Lego would be better off changing the age rating and putting it on general sale.

As an AFOL I'm genuinely pleased that this D2C is not with AFOLs in mind and is an easy pass. Lego have simply released too many D2Cs during covid. Good to see that this is a Disney Princess set and not an AFOL minifigure set.