Sign in to follow this  
Ecclesiastes

REVIEW: 40448 LEGO® IDEAS Vintage Car

On 1/6/2021 at 11:56 PM, Versteinert said:

Finally I was able to shoot a better pic of my original version to compare it to the final set ;)

Unfortunately, the original version was way too unstable at some sections to not being changed. It is ok for putting it in a display, but you wouldn't be able to play with it at all - at least if you don't want to end up very frustrated...

@Shiva@AndreMW Yes, the surfboard is only attached with one stud. This doesn't last much longer than the time that was necessary for taking the photo ;)

This looks soooo much better.

Versteinert, Cheers for the information :)

I wonder, if there would be any building technique to have it more stable.

Edited by Shiva
tried to add mention tag,but failed.

Hi everyone. I have the new Lego Ideas Vintage Car GWP and had the same issue as everyone - the surfboards are very loose and came off at the slightest touch. I have a fix for this which appears to work and wanted to share with all of you. It requires three extra pieces that should be commonly available.

Mine was missing the stickers.  If they were packed loose in the box they could have easily slipped out of the box.  (Under a flap and out they go)  A sticker sheet that small shouldn’t be packed loose.  Disappointing.

Excellent review @Ecclesiastes.   And congratulations @Versteinert!  It must be an awesome feeling, seeing your your work officially immortalised by LEGO. So cool! 

Unfortunately i haven't been lucky enough to acquire one, but i hope to build it in an alternative colour if i can. 

I think they've done a really good job in keeping it so close to the original, but when i build it, it's definitely going to have the clear windscreen instead of the blue. . I may also swap the wheels for white ones, as i think that would go really well.  Oh, and i'll definitely be adding those ice cream swirls to the front, just like your original version, to give it back its classic Dagmar appeal. :thumbup: :grin:  

Edited by Dazzzy

Yeah this is a really great set. Most excellent work Arne and congrats on the win and having this set made! Its really cool that you're here on EB as well. The car is fantastic and your daughter's color choice coupled with your design got us a pretty sizeable number of part recolors for Bright Bluish Green in one set. :excited:

I've been messing around with the build and came up with another possible surfboard relocation for those interested; the method seen in a bunch of Speed Champions sets (but you'll lose the neat ability to have two side-by side figures). Along with some minor cosmetic changes working around the still very limited Bright Bluish Green. Its a really fun set to tinker with.

50850704928_fea6784756_c.jpg

50851519477_4943849a32_c.jpg

50850705028_3d25ddb125_c.jpg

50850704958_db595895e2_c.jpg

50850704993_a0cc332c14_c.jpg

And since all the surfboards are taken...

50850705018_20fcdf2ece_c.jpg

Thats really great and nicely executed solution @koalayummies :) I fix my problem with the "boards) by just putting there a little piece of paper between the board and car door, so it holds stiff and nice. But this is great and purist way how to mod the car... 

Thumbs up!

Didn’t knew the part for the front bumper was available in gray,

Cool mod !

Finally got around to slapping this thing together, fun enough little set but lol, to say the surfboards fit a bit loosely is an understatement. Mine are so loose they just randomly fall off, like if I just walk by it sitting on the table. Oh well, like everyone else I guess I will accept it as a challenge to make it better.

It is a bit disappointing though and I can't believe LEGO would allow such a thing.

That's a fantastic solution @koalayummies!  :thumbup:   It's a shame it now limits it to one minifigure (+things :sweet:), but i think it's a worthwhile sacrifice to ensure the surfboards stay attached.

On 1/20/2021 at 6:49 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Finally got around to slapping this thing together, fun enough little set but lol, to say the surfboards fit a bit loosely is an understatement. Mine are so loose they just randomly fall off, like if I just walk by it sitting on the table. Oh well, like everyone else I guess I will accept it as a challenge to make it better.

It is a bit disappointing though and I can't believe LEGO would allow such a thing.

It is a shame LEGO didn't foresee such a glaring issue, as i imagine they had the parts easily at hand to test to see whether it works, before they chose the final 10 entries of the contest before the fan vote.   I'm still glad that they stayed true to their word in bringing us all what we voted for though, as it still looks really good!  

9 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

That's a fantastic solution @koalayummies!  :thumbup:   It's a shame it now limits it to one minifigure (+things :sweet:), but i think it's a worthwhile sacrifice to ensure the surfboards stay attached.

Thanks and I agree about losing the side-by-side seating. There are certainly many more solutions that would retain it but until there's more pieces molded in the Bright Bluish Green the current options are a bit limited.

Finally got mine today.  It looks excellent next to previous vehicles in the Modular Buildings series.  I get people's problems with the surfboards but if I'm being honest I expected them to be way worse than they are from reading this thread.  It's hardly been a problem for me.  The teal really works extremely well and certainly suits the 50s look.  Particularly glad to have this one as I thought at one point that I wouldn't get it....

So the guy felt bad that they couldn't ride side-by-side after the surfboard mod so he just got her one in Earth Green.

50881946993_d13cc85f4f_c.jpg

It still only gets about eleven miles to the gallon, pollutes as much as a hundred OBD-II compliant vehicles and is about as safe as open-mouth-kissing a wild horseshoe bat, but its vintage!

50881947918_a19583a96a_c.jpg

50881947923_aa2cdd92a7_c.jpg

50882666531_a4b1885f29_c.jpg

And sure enough here comes Jay Leno in his Canadian tuxedo and money cart to try and buy them because owning 286 cars just isn't enough.

50881947953_01a5953aed_c.jpg

On 1/10/2021 at 12:13 AM, mezba said:

Hi everyone. I have the new Lego Ideas Vintage Car GWP and had the same issue as everyone - the surfboards are very loose and came off at the slightest touch.

I finally had the chance to build this excellent set and haven't had any issues whatsoever with the surfboards having loose grip. They seem pretty sturdy for me.

I wonder if this has to do with where they were produced...

On 3/3/2021 at 3:29 PM, lomis said:

I finally had the chance to build this excellent set and haven't had any issues whatsoever with the surfboards having loose grip. They seem pretty sturdy for me.

I wonder if this has to do with where they were produced...

It could be.  I've recently tested using surfboards on another MOC that attaches them the same way as the GWP.  I don't have the same surfboards (different colours and designs), but the clutch power does indeed seem to be different between the different parts i have.

Took me awhile but finally opened it.  I have the same thoughts of the bumper build.  I wish they have more chrome colour parts like the original design did.  And it's actually a lot more longer than I have expected when looking at it from above.