22 hours ago, Jurss said:

Interesting solution for steering.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:   I feel it may not be the most elegant of solutions, but i really am challenging myself, to come up with something fairy unique for the contest. Truth be told though, i really am out of my depth with regards to LEGO technic.

More slowwwww progress. 

I tried to make my rack and pinion steering solution work, but i quickly discovered no matter what i tried, it felt really notchy.  So after looking at @MinusAndy's solution, i decided to attempt a kind of push-pull steering too. There's not much movement in it (about 2 studs length from lock to lock), but the steering itself doesn't steer that much anyway, so i'm happy with it so far. 

Please excuse the long red axle, it's just there to illustrate the lean angle achievable before the swing arms bottom/ground out. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the bodywork/fairings within that footprint, as i really want the bike to be a bit of a carver.  I do also hope i can come up with a leaning sidecar, to stop it toppling over at that angle, but judging by the way time is flying by, and what little progress i've made with my entry, (still so much to do), it's unlikely i'll get around to it. 

Also may swap the springs for yellow ones as more weight is added. The front has a nice dive to it at the moment, but it's definitely starting to push more easily now the steering solution is sorted. 

50832160206_ca0ceb2173_c.jpg

50831417388_c1c7fc2c23_c.jpg

50832162976_ae128dd733_c.jpg

50832164031_d9c94e08b7_c.jpg

4 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

More slowwwww progress

Yeah, it's a lot of work... I totally feel the same ;-) hang in there!

I like the unconventional steering.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:51 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

That is a very interesting steering mechanism!

Thanks!  Though i've changed it again to something a bit simpler. 

On 1/13/2021 at 10:34 PM, BrickBuildingFox said:

Yeah, it's a lot of work... I totally feel the same ;-) hang in there!

I like the unconventional steering.

Thanks!  It has changed now though, (too complicated and a tad bit too bulky).  I'm trying to hang in there too, but i really am out of my depth when it comes to technic. I'm taking a few days off thinking/working on it, then will hopefully return with a fresh head. In the meantime i'm just going to concentrate on building what i'm fairly familiar with. 

Very futuristic steering system. Wish real bikes would have a steering system like this. Would really inspire some hillbilly to make a redneck version probably if they saw this. Cool find!

On 1/15/2021 at 4:07 PM, ralphie said:

Nice solution. I just gave up and went with a steering wheel myself...

Thanks @ralphie!  :thumbup:  The steering wheel is an unusual but cool solution. 

On 1/15/2021 at 6:12 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

Looks great! Looking forward to see more of it. 

Thanks @HorcikDesigns!  :thumbup:  I nearly threw in the towel on many occasions, but i'm glad i made the effort to finish it in the end, (although it didn't turn out like i wanted it to). 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:08 PM, Mechbuilds said:

Very futuristic steering system. Wish real bikes would have a steering system like this. Would really inspire some hillbilly to make a redneck version probably if they saw this. Cool find!

Thanks @Mechbuilds:thumbup:  I ended up going with a different steering system in the end. It's still a bit unusual though. :laugh:

Finally finished:

It's changed quite a lot since the first initial pics, and i feel i may have bitten off more than i can chew really. Still i'm glad it's now completed, though in terms of features, it doesn't really have many. 

It has working front and back suspension, (the front holds it's steering angle when compressed).  A flat 4 fake engine, driving a shaft connected to the rear wheel gear, and a gear based steering system, and that's it function wise, so a little disappointing in that regard.  Oh it also has 2 kickstand thingies, so the bike can be parked resting on either side. 

As you can see i went with using a buildable figure like a few other entries have. And i'm glad i did as well, because at one point i was really struggling to scale the bike to go with the low down look i was after. I think the buildable figure really helped in that regard. 

Have also changed the name of the bike, it's now called a Wingblade R. 

Thanks for viewing. :thumbup:

50922106503_3d8b130951_c.jpg

50922112583_680e52c210_c.jpg

50922926882_6afe8ded4d_c.jpg

50922119663_8542d65937_c.jpg

A few more additional pics:

50922124758_1f670b932f_c.jpg

50922939472_3b16fd29f8_c.jpg

50922941647_d916214577_c.jpg

50922818126_1d8d0656ef_c.jpg

50922820666_3942894fbf_c.jpg

PS: Apologies for pics looking all the same. Sometimes i hate taking pics of my mocs, as i can never decide on what angle looks the best, etc. 

This one came out fantastic! Job well done! Jyn fits in that seat superbly. Looks really cool. Maybe it lacks some meat on the seat - that part looks really thin, when the rider is not there. But that is just a minor observation.

I think you forgot to name it in the entry topic.

Good luck on the competition!

Edited by MajklSpajkl

2 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

This one came out fantastic! Job well done! Jin fits in that seat superbly. Looks really cool. Maybe it lacks some meat on the seat - that part looks really thin, when the rider is not there. But that is just a minor observation.

I think you forgot to name it in the entry topic.

Good luck on the competition!

Thanks @MajklSpajkl:thumbup:   Yes i agree, the seat is a bit too thin really. I can bulk it out a little, but as it is, Jyn almost clicks into place the way it is now.  Thanks for the heads-up also, with regards to the entry topic name. :thumbup: I must've deleted it by accident. 

2 hours ago, MinusAndy said:

That has really come together nicely. The farings and screen are great.

Thanks @MinusAndy:thumbup:  I actually wanted to make the front fairing a bit lower, but any lower than it is would hit the suspension when compressed. 

39 minutes ago, johnnym said:

Wow! This one looks extremely good! :thumbup: Glad you made it in time. :classic:

Thanks @johnnym!  :thumbup: :classic:    I almost didn't make it in time, i almost threw in the towel too, (feel quite exhausted now).  So glad you like it! 

Wow! To be honest the progress in the beginning didn't look very promising, so I was actually suprised how well it turned out! Well done! :thumbup:

Edited by Gray Gear

Great looking bike. You managed some great shaping there and got the right balance with the colours (not too much red or black)

3 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Do you have any photos of naked custom rim that you've built?

+1 from me! :classic:

Like others, this turned out differently than I though it would. I looks great, and I like the future cruiser look that the moto has. I love the custom hubs as well.

Well done.

On 2/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, Gray Gear said:

Wow! To be honest the progress in the beginning didn't look very promising, so I was actually suprised how well it turned out! Well done! :thumbup:

On 2/10/2021 at 11:16 AM, Mechbuilds said:

That's pretty cool! It turned out better than i'd expect. Well done!

Thanks @Gray Gear & @Mechbuilds:thumbup: :thumbup:   Although it isn't exactly what i hoped it would be, (was hoping i could fit in a gearbox),  i'm surprised too that it's turned out as it has, and that some members like what i've done. I must admit i got lost along the way (which didn't help), but i'm glad i managed to complete it. 

On 2/9/2021 at 9:09 AM, Seasider said:

Great looking bike. You managed some great shaping there and got the right balance with the colours (not too much red or black)

Thanks @Seasider:thumbup:   I nearly did the wheel spokes red as well but thought it would be too much. Looking at it now though, i really wish i had some yellow panels, as i think it may look better in a black and yellow combo, plus i'd change the name to Wasp or maybe Hornet.

Also, i forgot to thank yourself, @ralphie and @MajklSpajkl for the inspirational use of buildable figures in all of your builds. It's something i would never of originally thought of, but it really did help scale and complete my build. So thank you.  I'm pretty sure i've also seen some of @HorcikDesigns work before, making use of a buildable figure too, which again i find inspirational. :thumbup:

On 2/10/2021 at 7:12 AM, MajklSpajkl said:

Do you have any photos of naked custom rim that you've built?

On 2/10/2021 at 10:57 AM, johnnym said:

+1 from me! :classic:

Unfortunately the only photos i took of the rims were these ones at an earlier stage.  I haven't bothered to disassemble them to take photos now that it's finished, because it can be quite a pain to do so, as it's quite fiddly. I did however make a colour-vomit build of them in S.tudio, so you can kind of see what's going on. 

The two rear outer rim constructions sandwich the center rim construction. And the pins with studs help push against the walls of the tyre, as without them the tyre would laterally shift around. While the fit is tight enough to hold all the components firmly together, it's not perfect, as due to the rim sections it kind of misshapes the tyre so it's not perfectly round. However, the slight rotation degree offset of the outer rims helps lessen that, so it still rolls surprising well and uniform.

50810960267_2a5ac7eed4_c.jpg

This is the front wheel without the tyre:

50935671958_66fa05cc1c_c.jpg

And here's the back (including the drive shaft assembly):

50935673358_026b124345_c.jpg

50936360891_ec022ddd3e_c.jpg

On 2/10/2021 at 7:39 PM, Thirdwigg said:

Like others, this turned out differently than I though it would. I looks great, and I like the future cruiser look that the moto has. I love the custom hubs as well.

Well done.

Thanks @Thirdwigg!  :thumbup:   A future cruiser was exactly the kind of bike i was hoping to get across, (albeit a sporty-ish one).  I'm glad you like the custom hubs too, though they're not completely perfect, (the rear isn't a completely smooth round curve, and using the turntable as a bearing on the front, isn't the smoothest of solutions either - it's almost as if it could do with a light dusting of graphite powder). 

Edited by Dazzzy