Sign in to follow this  
makoy

Best of 2020 (Eurobricks Edition)

Are you all excited to welcome 2021? I know I do. It is an irrefutable fact that 2020 could be remembered in history as one of the tipping point in human history as we pivot to the new normal.

However, it is not all that bad knowing that here in Eurobricks, set reviews still came in regularly and the forums continue to foster the LEGO community and unite AFOLs around the world during this trying times.

So, to conclude the year, I have compiled my "best of...." for 2020. You don't have to agree with me on my list as these are my personal preferences only. 

Feel free to list down your own favourites this year after you've read mine. 

Cheers!

LEGO Set of the Year

? 75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

My reason here is simple. I am an old-school Star Wars fan and I really look forward to complete the Cantina patrons. Despite the shortcomings, the appeal of this set is tremendously high, with high playability as well. You can go back and read my review if you missed it if you have any doubt why I picked this as my top set of the year in 2020. The next one is not far off as 80105 comes in second and 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay third.

Runners-up:

75290-1.png

Best Creator Expert Set

? 10277 Crocodile Locomotive

I had reservations buying LEGO trains in the past because of several reasons I don't want to go in detail. However, I waited a little bit to get a handsome discount for this one and bought myself 2 additional tracks expansion. I didn't regret buying this set one bit.

Runner ups:

10277-1.png

Best Star Wars Set

? 75290 Mos Eisley Cantina

See my reasons in "SOTY" section above.

Runner ups:

• 75292 The Razor Crest
  • 75280 501st Legion Clone Troopers

75290-1.png

Best NINJAGO Set

? 71708 Gamer's Market

More sets like this please. More!! 

Runner ups:

• 71717 Journey to the Skull Dungeons
  • 71722 Skull Sorcerer's Dungeons
  • 71708-1.png

Best City Set

? 60267 Safari Off-Roader

The nostalgia here is strong because I remember a Safari Off-Roader similar to this during my childhood. It is a little set and I know there are "better" City sets out there but if you ask me that I can only keep 1 City set during this pandemic, I will choose this one.

Runners-up:

• 60262 Passenger Airplane
  • 60266 Ocean Explorer Ship

60267-1.png

Best Army Builder Set

? 75267 Mandalorian Battle Pack

I'm a simple man. I see a Mandalorian Battle Pack, I buy. I am not a hardcore Clone Trooper fan but I see the appeal of such set. However, that set is more expensive than this Mandalorian Battle Pack and if you waited for holiday discounts, they are really cheap now.

Runners-up:

• 75280 501st Legion Clone Troopers
  • 40419 Hogwarts Students Accessory Set

75267-1.png

Best Polybag

? 30370 Diver

Coral reef and Manta Ray. Great deal if you ask me, I got mine very cheap and I wish I have bought more because the minifigure included is surprisingly good as well. It's one of the most memorable and highly recommendable polybag I have seen lately.

Runners-up:

• 30341 Monkie Kid's Delivery Bike
  • 30453 Captain Marvel and Nick Fury

30370-1.png

Best New Theme

? Super Mario

If there is one take away from this, besides the Starter Set having the weirdest box shape ever, is that the power of Nintendo brands, e.g. Super Mario, is just impeccable. There are more Super Mario sets coming and I guess we just have to follow the hype train until next year.

Runner ups:

• Dots
  • Monkie Kid

71360-1.png

Best Technic Set

Ask Jim :)

Best Minifigure

? Centaur (Harry Potter)

Some castle veterans in this forums have been wishing for this minifigure to come one day. Finally, it came this year through Harry Potter and TLG delivered.

Runners-up:

• Ponda Baba (Star Wars)
  • Zane - Avatar Pink Zane (NINJAGO)

hp236.png

Best New Minifigure Accessory

? Element ID: 6303145 introduced in NINJAGO
Design number: 36015
First introduced in NINJAGO

This armour piece is probably one of the most ornate piece of armour with shoulder pads. I am just simply admiring the creativity put into this element and I wish to see more of this in the future. 

Runners-up:

• Sword of Gryffindor (Harry Potter)
  • Weapon multipack found in Super Hero sets such as Avengers Tower Battle

6303145.jpg

Best New Animal Mould

? Bunny / Rabbit (from CFM S20 Pajama Girl)

I like cute stuff. So yeah.

Runners-up:

• Baby Triceratops
  • Manta Ray

6300205.jpg

Best Printed Element

? 65066pb02 "Dark Pink Panes and Ornate Lines Pattern" from set 43182

How often do we see this simple yet elegant design for this large piece of door glass part. I hope to see more of this kind of design. Take a good guess which theme this part could be found. I don't have a prize for you but if you guess it right, then pat yourself on the back.

Runners-up:

• 98138pb135 "Stars and Rainbow Swirl" (aka Rainbow poop)
  • 20952pb04 "Animal Face Steamed Bun"

6297429.jpg

Best New Part

? 65578 "Posing Stand" or as TLG calls it... "Handle"

The saving grace of DC Super Heroes CMF series is the inclusion of this part. I don't remember the minifigures, but I remember that this posing stand came from that series and it is very versatile. Since then, other sets have used this part in very creative ways. 

Runners-up:

• 67329 - Brick, Modified 1 x 2 x 1 2/3 with Studs on 3 Sides
  • 67095 - Tile, Round 3 x 3

6285587.jpg

I'll add another: best re-release, Saturn V.

I agree with most of the big ones, I didn't buy a single City set this year and so can't comment there. I thought minifigs were slightly weak this year compared to previous. The centaur addition is nice but I already have similar brick forge parts from years ago and lego haven't really innovated there. If they had done movable back and front legs so it could be posed it would be a definite winner.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I'll add another: best re-release, Saturn V.

That's a good one :)  I am not even sure why the first one was short-lived.

Ok, going to have to have a good think about the year's releases, my purchases and a few more factors. Watch this space!

Good list! My vote for best set would be the Bookshop with Haunted House a very close second, with honorable mention going to Pirates of Barracuda Bay, which looks fantastic but I ultimately didn't have room for in my collection.

100% in agreement on the posing stand as best new part.

Best printed element may be a bit of a cheat since it's basically a re-release, but even I am not immune to the occasional nostalgia bait:

6304928.jpg

There isn't any one minifig that stands out as best of the year for me, but probably the Breakdancer from Series 20 or Golden Eagle Armor Wonder Woman.

And as for best new theme, DOTS and/or LEGO Art... guess I just really like 1x1 tiles. :grin:

2 hours ago, makoy said:

That's a good one :)  I am not even sure why the first one was short-lived.

I still wouldn't say it's short lived considering the short lifespan of ideas sets...

Here is my personal list:

Best Set: 80012 Monkey King Warrior Mech

Best New Theme: Monkie Kid 

Best New Element: Propeller 1 Blade 14L with Axle Hole

Best New Animal Mould: Glow in the dark Anglerfish

Best Minifigure: Nehmaar Reem

Best Creator Expert Set: 10271 Fiat 500

Best Ninjago Set: 71721 Skull Sorcerer's Dragon 

Best Technic Set: 42115 Lamborghini Sian FKP 37

Worst New Themes: Trolls and Minions. 

Edited by Lego David

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

Worst New Themes: Trolls and Minions. 

I agree with Trolls, but I honestly thought minions was one of the most creative themes of the year...

13 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Ok, going to have to have a good think about the year's releases, my purchases and a few more factors. Watch this space!

;) We're waiting

7 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I agree with Trolls, but I honestly thought minions was one of the most creative themes of the year...

I think it's really just the symptoms of the movie not carrying the theme forward.... because you know, the cinema is practically in its grave in 2020.

Anyway,  you can also share your personal list you know.

Best Creator Expert sets of 2020:

10272-1.jpg?202001130159

10272 Old Trafford

10274-1.jpg?202005110757

10274 Ecto-1

10276-1.jpg?202005110758

10276 Colosseum

Best Ideas sets:

21321-1.jpg?202001220902

21321 International Space Station

21323-1.jpg?202007270925

21323 Grand Piano

Best Star Wars set:

Too many to list!! :tongue:

Best new theme:

LEGO Art - Despite being very overpriced as a whole, both the concept and the execution is fantastic. This is why I chose it as the best new theme of 2020!

31197-1.jpg?202007010158

Worst new themes of 2020, very personal opinions:

Trolls
Dots: I liked the pineapple and the picture frames, but just wasn't a fan of the rest...

Winner of most popular set of 2020 tournament (thanks to everyone who has voted, stay tuned for 2021!):

21321-1.jpg?202001220902

Edited by JintaiZ

Best set: Pirate Barracuda Bay, basically brought back pirates and pirate parts for those who haven't had any of either for a while.

21322-1.jpg?202003240103

Best Creator Expert: Colosseum, fantastically designed, you hear me designers, fantastic.

10276-1.jpg?202005110758

Best City: Ocean Exploration Submarine

60264-1.jpg?202005210905

Best Ninjago: Destiny's Bounty

71705-1.jpg?202005210928

Best Monkey Kid: Monkey King Mech

80012-1.jpg?202005150834

Best Technic: Volvo hauler

42114-1.jpg?202007021040

Best Ideas: tie between grand piano and ISS

21323-1.jpg?20200727092521321-1.jpg?202001220902

Best Star Wars: Kylo Ren microfighter.

75264-1.jpg?201912100958

Best Polybag: none because Brickset doesn't let search by that. Edit: I have been corrected, Best Polybag: train

30575-1.jpg?201912301007

Best new theme: Monkey Kid

80008-1.jpg?202005150834

Best Minifigure: Pinata boy

71027-1.jpg?202004200818

Best new animal mold: sea turtle

71027-12.jpg?202004200820

Best printed part: Glass For Frame 1X2X2

6275973.jpg6278255.jpg

Best new parts: wedges and quarter circle because I have neither yet

6286513.jpg  6306640.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

7 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I disagree... I think Trolls is more creative than Minions. Although both of those lines were completely pointless and unneeded, at the very least Trolls gave us some interesting new parts and colorful builds. The Minions sets, on the other hand, felt completely random and have little to no redeeming qualities like Trollls has.

Edited by Lego David

Oof, I had to think @makoy

My 2020 bests are going to:

Best Large Set I purchased:

60258: Tuning Workshop

60258_boxprod_v29.jpg

Everything I love in a LEGO set, cool cars, a motorbike and great minifigures. It was fun to build and had plenty of parts I like to use.

Best Medium Set Purchase 

70434: Supernatural Race Car

816Rp8zZPqL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Excellent Design, great part selection and a play feature that is not disruptive to the actual design of the vehicle. More sets like this please!

Best Small Set Purchase

71718: Wu's Battle Dragon

rgvQuKp9QuatP3sRmfyp_71718-8_1024x.png?v

Super cool little dragon, very posable by also sturdy. Also one I was able to get with a gift-card I won in work, so that was neat.

Best New Minifigure

CMF series 20 Knight

71027-4.jpg?202004200818

Excellent new sword, great new shield heraldry and livery design that looks accurate to the era. I am a sucker for new minifig shield prints and this is a great one. In fact, when I was a kid drawing my own knight shields, a raven often featured.  

Best New Animal:

Bulldog

65388pb02.png

Look at that cute little good boy! 

Best New Minifig Weapon

Ninjago Ivory Sword of Deliverance 

66954c02.png

It has a skull for the pommel. 'nuff said.

Best New Minifig Accessory

65581.png

I love Green Lantern, my favourite superhero, from the Golden Age, the Silver Age and even now. To have an actual lantern is superb.

I do not have any specific new 2020 element that has jumped out at me as the greatest of the year. Most of them are yet to filter into my MOC building supply, as the sets they came in are still assembled. Once those get parted out, that is when I discover the excellent new parts.

Best MOC of 2020

I love and envy this in equal measure. Fully embracing the Fabuland style but with great MOC design and detailing.

My proudest build:

A little bit of shameless self promotion, a little bit of being genuinely proud of the result for my MOC. I wanted to build one for years and I finally created it this year. Of all the things I have built and published this year, this one is my absolute favourite. 

So that was my year in review. I don't like to judge sets I have not bought and as I am not a set collector, there are few sets I desire for reasons of display so I am not one to put sets up as "the best" in that regards.