2 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Maybe try to make the tank with another angle, now it just has one and looks too sharp and straight, perhaps 3 pairs of those no1/no2 panels? And maybe front wheel could use some tiny cover, not a whole mudguard, just something sticking out under the headlight...don't get me wrong it looks ok, maybe just seems a bit exposed.

I'll try it. Stay tuned.

OK, back at it. I rebuilt the whole frame and worked on some of the details. I resorted back to a basic tank, so that many be where it ends. It's not flashy, but it's clean.

800x600.jpg

I was hoping this would be the final build, but after tying it all together, the front suspension does not measure up to my standards; it sags and does not offer much resistance. A little autopsy revealed the front frame is not stiff enough and the motorcycle is heaver now that it is nearing completion. The former needs a frame redesign, and the later needs a geometry redesign. I need to do a major redesign, which this far into the project is difficult. I even considered scraping the swingarm idea, and putting in a traditional fork.

800x600.jpg

But then looking at the MOC, I think I can salvage it. Above (I love this new 11-19 liftarm) you can see the current setup on the right, and the proposed setup on the left. Early in the design phase I tried the left with 9 stud arms, but I wanted swingarm lines that stayed level with the bike, and went with the right. Now that the Moto is nosing down a little too much, and I have space for the 11 stud swingarms, I am going to try to integrate this into the MOC and see if this helps.

8 minutes ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Good luck with the rebuild, and please keep the front swingarm. ?

I'll keep it. I made this build too difficult....

To be honest, I really like everything, but the swingarm. The rest of the bike looks cool - I don't know, those swingarm solutions just don't appeal to me in general... I assume it is also not in it's final state and I know you'll make the best of it.

Best regards.

Man, this is really starting to come together!  I'm with HorcikDesigns, please keep the front swingarm. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

To be honest, I really like everything, but the swingarm. The rest of the bike looks cool - I don't know, those swingarm solutions just don't appeal to me in general... I assume it is also not in it's final state and I know you'll make the best of it.

Best regards.

Yeah, I had grander visions on how it would turn out, but kept running into problems. The next motorcycle will not have a front swingarm, but it stays for this one. Hopefully I can dress it up. The redesign will allow for a front fender too, so small improvements....

8 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

Man, this is really starting to come together!  I'm with HorcikDesigns, please keep the front swingarm. :thumbup:

Thanks. The swingarm stays.

Alright, this is finished.

50863036217_2fba63bf29_b.jpg

It took a significant revision, but the front suspension and steering works well and supports the bike. This has been one of the harder builds I have done in the recent years, with the combination of shapes, angles, suspension, width, and that transmission. Working through these challenges, and ending with this result was immensely frustrating and thus rewarding when completed. I will for sure take what I learned here and make another motorcycle in the future. I'm hooked now.

The Kickboxer Diesel features the following:

• Front Single Side Swingarm with Steering
  • Rear Single Side Swingarm with Drive
  • Front and Rear Suspension
  • Four Speed Sequential Transmission
  • Flat 4 Diesel fake engine
  • Blue Paddock Stand

50862219398_c78ce1f411_b.jpg

The front is a little sparse, but I managed to get a front fender.

50862218683_3526464169_b.jpg

The only visible part of the transmission is the chain on the left. Everything else is internal.

50862932031_ee713d17d7_b.jpg

And the changeover is right in the back of the bike. The shifter pedal is on the left of the moto. The exhaust exits just below.

50862931201_58c531bc43_b.jpg

And a video.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this project. Hope you enjoy.

Looks really cool and also futuristic due to the setup :thumbup:. Say are these Kickboxer bikes a reality or an idea? Hope you "save" this model in some way (e.g. digital model, reverse instructions, etc.) :classic:

The one thing that irritated me, was the missing "nose" on the middle part. But I assume this is how it should be, right? But still, I think a nose there would look better, e.g. like the first prototypes on page 1.

Than just a few questions:

1. What are these black parts with the fins attached to the upper front orange panels? That looks really interesting.
  2. Why didn't you use one break disc of the Ducati on the front wheel, where the axle is coming out of the wheel?
  3. Doesn't the blue pin on the lower part of the front swingarm (don't know what's used on the upper part) hinder the suspension? I mean, is the shock absorber strong enough to push the swingarm fully down again after compressing it?
  4. Would it be ok for you if I reuse your front axle design in a future creation of mine (of course with reference to your original design)? I plan to release my turbo bike on Rebrickable after the contest and I then of course need a police interceptor bike to catch it. And I believe your front axle construction would look really cool on such a bike.

Well, this one looks really good. Love the triangle under the seat and rear lights flushing with the panels above them. Engine details look super cool too.
How wide (in studs or maybe in straight view photo ;) ) is the shifter/stepper mechanism assembly?

3 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Well, this one looks really good. Love the triangle under the seat and rear lights flushing with the panels above them. Engine details look super cool too.
How wide (in studs or maybe in straight view photo ;) ) is the shifter/stepper mechanism assembly?

Thanks @HorcikDesigns, the seat needed something else, so the subframe was the little idea. The rear lights are simple, but work well. I had some fun with the engine details, but tried not to overdo it.

50863035427_8b6d598ac3_b.jpg

Maybe the above photo helps. The Moto is a 7 studs wide as a base, and this is most of the transmission. The rear chain is 3 studs off the centerline, so if it was repeated on the other side it would be seven studs there. The chain and the front swingers are on the same plane off-center. The stepper and the drive gear fit within the swingers pivot which is 6 studs wide. I'll take a photo from the rear and front later tonight.  

16 hours ago, imvanya said:

Correct that is the part.

19 hours ago, johnnym said:

Looks really cool and also futuristic due to the setup :thumbup:. Say are these Kickboxer bikes a reality or an idea? Hope you "save" this model in some way (e.g. digital model, reverse instructions, etc.) :classic:

The one thing that irritated me, was the missing "nose" on the middle part. But I assume this is how it should be, right? But still, I think a nose there would look better, e.g. like the first prototypes on page 1.

Than just a few questions:

1. What are these black parts with the fins attached to the upper front orange panels? That looks really interesting.
  2. Why didn't you use one break disc of the Ducati on the front wheel, where the axle is coming out of the wheel?
  3. Doesn't the blue pin on the lower part of the front swingarm (don't know what's used on the upper part) hinder the suspension? I mean, is the shock absorber strong enough to push the swingarm fully down again after compressing it?
  4. Would it be ok for you if I reuse your front axle design in a future creation of mine (of course with reference to your original design)? I plan to release my turbo bike on Rebrickable after the contest and I then of course need a police interceptor bike to catch it. And I believe your front axle construction would look really cool on such a bike.

Thanks for your comments @johnnym, let me address your questions.

The Kickboxer is a CAD project done by Ian McElroy. You can see more about it here. I am not aware that is has been made.

I tried a number of noses, but nothing fit the look of the bike. Adding a fender helped, but yeah the stubby nose of the real moto evaded my building abilities. 

I did not use a disk brake at the end of the axle as this would be on the wrong side. On the correct side, would further push the swing arm out which would increase torsional flex, and make the bike wider. Two things I was not willing to do.

Yes, the blue pin hinders the suspension, but the shock is able to overcome the friction. And again, the front swingarm needed everything to support stiffness and strength with minimum parts.

Use the ideas that are helpful to you as needed. I'm glad I can contribute to your ideas.

I'll photo the MOC as I take apart to help you and others on your builds.

16 hours ago, imvanya said:

1 minute ago, Thirdwigg said:

Correct that is the part.

@imvanya, @Thirdwigg I see, thanks for the info. I only knew of that similar bigger part which is 2 x 2 IIC. This smaller part looks like something I could use more often. :classic:

Thanks for your comments @johnnym, let me address your questions.

The Kickboxer is a CAD project done by Ian McElroy. You can see more about it here. I am not aware that is has been made.

Thanks for the link, that clarifies it.

I tried a number of noses, but nothing fit the look of the bike. Adding a fender helped, but yeah the stubby nose of the real moto evaded my building abilities.

Fully agree and the longer smaller panels would stick out too much at the front.

I did not use a disk brake at the end of the axle as this would be on the wrong side. On the correct side, would further push the swing arm out which would increase torsional flex, and make the bike wider. Two things I was not willing to do.

Good point, a break without a fixed attachement is not really a break. :blush: Though I think it could work in reality on that side if you make the wheel (with integrated ball bearing) run on a fixed tube or so attached to the swing arm and attach the break calipers after inserting the wheel and the break disc on that side.

Yes, the blue pin hinders the suspension, but the shock is able to overcome the friction. And again, the front swingarm needed everything to support stiffness and strength with minimum parts.

Use the ideas that are helpful to you as needed. I'm glad I can contribute to your ideas.

Cool, thanks a lot. :classic:

I'll photo the MOC as I take apart to help you and others on your builds.

Great, thanks! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

As much as I love my build.... I just have to take a look at your build and I'm in awe... This is insanely well done... :D

18 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Thanks! Well, it is all really tightly packed in there. Good job!

Yeah, it's pretty cozy.

16 hours ago, Jundis said:

As much as I love my build.... I just have to take a look at your build and I'm in awe... This is insanely well done... :D

Thanks for the kind words. You have a good build going on as well, and I am glad you like this one.

Hi!

Cooool model!

Love the compactness of the mechanics Inside.

Seems like you've used each and every stud avalaible Inside.

Good job, great model,

What else?

S.

1 hour ago, steph77 said:

Hi!

Cooool model!

Love the compactness of the mechanics Inside.

Seems like you've used each and every stud avalaible Inside.

Good job, great model,

What else?

S.

Glad you like it. Thanks for all the inspiration. 

Yep, there is no room left in the interior. I guess there is some room in the tank, but that should be filled with fuel. :classic:

You nailed the shape well and true to the oiginal. And you did the best that could be done with the front mudguard. I think some curved motorbike mudguards pieces would really bring LEGO motorbikes on a higher level - I hope TLG will take this next step with Ducati successor.  Great job on the internals as well :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Best regards.

18 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

You nailed the shape well and true to the oiginal. And you did the best that could be done with the front mudguard. I think some curved motorbike mudguards pieces would really bring LEGO motorbikes on a higher level - I hope TLG will take this next step with Ducati successor.  Great job on the internals as well :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Best regards.

Thanks, yeah, a fender would be great. But even if they did, I would complain about the shape, and then wish it was in a different color, and on and on. Maybe this is better. 

Glad you like the shape and the mechanics.